TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ricky Fowler to TaylorMade

Question for you guys: How can TaylorMade, a golf equipment company that was purchased from Addidas a few years ago by a private equity group for the low price of $450 million dollars, afford to pay it's your staff of high profile players like DJ, JDay, Rory, Rose, and now Ricky to a ball & glove deal and still be profitable?

I'd love to see their cost/profit/loss numbers, I'm assuming if they were a stand alone golf equipment company, they'd be lucky to break even. Any thoughts?

Easy, the pass the costs on to the consumers.  🙂  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

There's only so much you can pass on while keeping prices in line with their industry competition. Just look at PXG, there's another company that wouldn't exist if it wasn't owned by a billionaire. If either company were publicly traded, they'd be done by now.

7 hours ago, Golfman7310 said:

Question for you guys: How can TaylorMade, a golf equipment company that was purchased from Addidas a few years ago by a private equity group for the low price of $450 million dollars, afford to pay it's your staff of high profile players like DJ, JDay, Rory, Rose, and now Ricky to a ball & glove deal and still be profitable?

I'd love to see their cost/profit/loss numbers, I'm assuming if they were a stand alone golf equipment company, they'd be lucky to break even. Any thoughts?

Rose isn't on their staff 

But some guy named Tiger Woods is 

7 hours ago, Golfman7310 said:

There's only so much you can pass on while keeping prices in line with their industry competition. Just look at PXG, there's another company that wouldn't exist if it wasn't owned by a billionaire. If either company were publicly traded, they'd be done by now.

PXG is profitable. In late 2018 or early 2019 they made back the money invested in the startup of the brand. Parsons then passed that on to the consumer by lowering the cost of their drivers. 

That aside it usually takes someone with a lot of money to open a golf business without financial backing from other sources. So what if he is a billionaire or if it was 10 multimillionaires that started Pxg?

Titleist and Callaway are pulling in billions of dollars so it’s not too hard to guess that Taylormade is making hundreds of millions or billions especially when they have a nice share of the woods market and iron market share

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

PXG is profitable. In late 2018 or early 2019 they made back the money invested in the startup of the brand. Parsons then passed that on to the consumer by lowering the cost of their drivers. 

That aside it usually takes someone with a lot of money to open a golf business without financial backing from other sources. So what if he is a billionaire or if it was 10 multimillionaires that started Pxg?

Titleist and Callaway are pulling in billions of dollars so it’s not too hard to guess that Taylormade is making hundreds of millions or billions especially when they have a nice share of the woods market and iron market share

Keep in mind that there's a huge difference between sales and profits. As an example see link to this past quarter's sales and earnings release.  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/acushnet-golf-q1-earnings-revenues-115511036.html

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Geez I thought this was more than the ball/glove deal when I read the title.  I was like NO WAY COBRA/PUMA would let him go!

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, SmoothG said:

Geez I thought this was more than the ball/glove deal when I read the title.  I was like NO WAY COBRA/PUMA would let him go!

The ball switch happened some time ago. But he OPs original post said nothing to the extent of what Rickie has done. Are you saying that the point of this thread is Rickie only switching balls and glove?

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

7 minutes ago, Titleist87 said:

The ball switch happened some time ago. But he OPs original post said nothing to the extent of what Rickie has done. Are you saying that the point of this thread is Rickie only switching balls and glove?

I was saying that when I read the title, I thought it was breaking news that I somehow missed.  Also the OP does indeed speak on Rickie and his ball/glove deal.

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

20 minutes ago, Titleist87 said:

Yeah that happened back in January. 

12 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

I was saying that when I read the title, I thought it was breaking news that I somehow missed.  Also the OP does indeed speak on Rickie and his ball/glove deal.

The title and the op do conflict a bit. He mentions rickies deal kind of in passing and like it’s breaking but the main point of his post is his being puzzled by taylormade’s financials.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Bad title. I was like no way, I just saw some brand new Cobra prototypes for him. Yes, the ball deal. That is old news. He actually switched to the TP5x in early 2019.

btw, i dont imagine ball/glove deals are that expensive. especially since Ricky came to them for the deal. He wanted to play the ball, and any way to monetize or brand it was gravy.

as far as TaylorMade's line up of pros. It is impressive. But not unfathomable. Their revenues are 3X that of Cobra and Ping. They are 50% bigger than Ping and Cobra combined. Imagine those two combined staffs with Bubba, Finau, Cameron Champ, Fowler, Bryson, Dufner. Impressive group with less revenue. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!
2 hours ago, SmoothG said:

I was saying that when I read the title, I thought it was breaking news that I somehow missed

I thought the same thing!  I thought, holy hell, this is huge if Cobra loses "the guy"

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"