Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Oil quenching and raw finishes

I guess all of this stay at home stuff has finally made me bored to the point where I want to dick around with some clubs I have. I currently use Ping glide wedges in smoke, so those are a no-go.

Here's a thought. What about a P790 UDI? It's one of the only clubs I have that doesn't seem customizable at all. Do you guys/gals think that oil quenching would melt speed foam inside it? What about a raw finish? Bored. Send help!

Edited by Yadirtydog!

man. that would be interesting on the UDI. would certainly look different. I have no idea what the thermal properties of speed foam are, but if you torched the club I'm willing to bet it melts or at least shrinks, and when it cools its probably does not refill the cavity in the exact same way. Not sure if that matters though. Does this magic foam really do something or just dampen sound and feel?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

45 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Does this magic foam really do something or just dampen sound and feel?

The Taylormades I've hit that have it - I can smoke the ball, but the spin seems very low and the feel and sound in my opinion are awful.  I likely will never buy a Taylormade Iron.  

Looks like you have Srixon irons, which are think are very good.  If something happened to my Mizunos, I'd likely go for the 785"s with Modus or KBS shafts.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

For those that are interested...I called TM and they said they had heard of Instagram DIY folks heating P790s up. According to the guy I spoke to, the speed foam will not melt as long as it doesn't get red hot.

I may do it, but I'm leaning towards not. I'm not a metallurgist so I have no idea how the metal will feel and react after a quenching/hardening cycle. 

3 hours ago, Yadirtydog! said:

For those that are interested...I called TM and they said they had heard of Instagram DIY folks heating P790s up. According to the guy I spoke to, the speed foam will not melt as long as it doesn't get red hot.

I may do it, but I'm leaning towards not. I'm not a metallurgist so I have no idea how the metal will feel and react after a quenching/hardening cycle. 

Based on my limited heat treat experience, it takes a long time at high temperatures to make a quench change the metal.  Briefly heating with a torch to get a brass like or a blue color will not physically change the metal.  It wouldn't take long to heat the head to get your desired color and it would not get anywhere near red hot.  Using a torch also ensures that the heating that is done, is shallow.  Not trying to dive down into the nitty gritty, but the color of the head will change before the heat effects the carbon casing that forms the outer layer of the club head and is responsible for the performance of the club.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

8 hours ago, AmishJason said:

Based on my limited heat treat experience, it takes a long time at high temperatures to make a quench change the metal.  Briefly heating with a torch to get a brass like or a blue color will not physically change the metal.  It wouldn't take long to heat the head to get your desired color and it would not get anywhere near red hot.  Using a torch also ensures that the heating that is done, is shallow.  Not trying to dive down into the nitty gritty, but the color of the head will change before the heat effects the carbon casing that forms the outer layer of the club head and is responsible for the performance of the club.

Thanks brother. Any info is appreciated.