TESTERS WANTED! ×

3 wedge or 4 wedge set up?

Since I didn't find this topic in the forums, I thought we might discuss it here...

I'm currently gaming a 46* PW, 50*, 55* SW, 60*

My distance on full swing are:

PW 115-121 yards

50* 99-105 yards

SW 85-92 yards

60* 70-75 yards

First of all, I hope the gaps between the clubs are correct.

Second, I think having 4 wedges is doing more harm than good. Sometimes I sit between 2 wedges and don't know which one to hit... I'm sure some of you have a similar problem.

So my idea is to go to a 3 wedge set up.

Ideally, it should be 46* PW, 53* SW, 60*, correct?

But I don't think there are any 53* wedges out there with enough bounce to hit as a SW... most of the 14 bounce SW go from 54* to 56*

I could bend it to 53* but I have no experience with bending, so I don't know what I'm talking about here.

So if I don't want to bend it, what other options do I have? 46, 54, 60? Or 46, 52, 58? Which one would you recommend? The second option would have the gap a spread out evenly, but there is no 52* with 14 bounce.

In this case, my gap wedge and sand wedge would be the same club and I would have the freedom to choose a 58*/60* with 4 bounce or something.

I still haven't figured whether I'm a digger or a slider, so I thought having wedges with difference bounces would be a good idea.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Went to the range again and measured the wedge distance with GPS, should be a little more accurate now.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

I dropped LW and now just go Pitch Gap Sand.

Found that the 60° just got me into trouble.

May reassess once I get better, but the SW seems to hold most of the shots I need from about 90 yards in.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For me it comes down to how far you hit the ball off the tee on the courses that you play. I hit it long, so I carry 4 wedges (47,52,56,60) to close the gaps, because I'm hitting a wedge into most par 4's. If you're hitting 8 and 9 irons into most par 4's, then I'd go with PW, 52, and 58.

I carry the following: 46 degree PW, 51 degree GW, 56 deg SW, 60 deg LW, 64 deg XW. 5 wedge system for me.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

I carry 4 wedges (47, 53, 57 and 64). I know it's a bit of an unusual kit, but it works well for me. It's somewhat funny, but I don't have any concrete distance for any of them. The pitching wedge is good for to 140 (level terrain, New York summertime heat and humidity). A bit of a tail wind and a slight downhill pitch and 150 isn't out of the question. Cooler temps, and it's 130 max.

Almost anything else depends on the conditions at the time and whether I want to hit the ball low or high. Generally speaking 115-120 is ideal distance be for a gap wedge. Sand wedge is 100-110, anything below that is often the 64, but I'm also fairly adept at taking half and quarter swings with the SW, and very rarely with the gap. Once the distance gets above 110 it could be 1 of 3 wedges depending on what I'm trying to do.

125 is one of the distance I dread most (when wind isn't a factor). A bit short for a PW, probably too long for a muscled gap wedge. I smile big at 85, 105, 115.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I actually hardly use the PW as a wedge. For me it's more of a 10 iron. I have a 50* 54* and 58* wedge setup. I find that I have a nice 10 yard gap from PW - GW - SW - LW - 1/2 GW - 1/2 SW - 1/2 LW - chipping. I fill in the gaps from my long irons by having a 3H that is 19* and a 4H that's 22* instead of the typical 21* 3-iron and 24* 4-iron. I do have a 15 yard gap between my 4H and 5-iron, so I just typically avoid any layup that will land me 180 yards from the tee. If I do have to hit that shot, I just choke down a little on my 4H.

Then again, I'm a high-handicapper, so who knows if I'm doing it right :)

What do you guys think?

I play 46° PW - 52° GW - 58° SW

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

I play 46° PW - 52° GW - 58° SW

What's the bounce on your GW and SW? I was looking at the Vokey's and the high bounce only go from 54* to 56 :(

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I was debating this same thing. I ether 47,51,55,59 or 47,53,58. I think I'm going to go 3 wedges. I tend to over think things from time to time and have less wedges keeps mevout of trouble.

Driver Titleist 909D3 8.5 Voodo stiff

3 wood Titleist 975F 13.5

5 woos Nike sumo2 19

Hybrid Ping g10 21 pro launch red stiff

Wishon 555C 4-6 555M-7-PW KBS

Wedges Wishon 53.10 KBS Volk. 58.4 KBS

Putter Scotty Newport 2.6 33in

What's the bounce on your GW and SW? I was looking at the Vokey's and the high bounce only go from 54* to 56 :(

Both my Vokeys, the 52 and the 58, are 8 degrees of bounce.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Since I didn't find this topic in the forums, I thought we might discuss it here...

]But I don't think there are any 53* wedges out there with enough bounce to hit as a SW... most of the 14 bounce SW go from 54* to 56*

I could bend it to 53* but I have no experience with bending, so I don't know what I'm talking about here.

So if I don't want to bend it, what other options do I have? 46, 54, 60? Or 46, 52, 58? Which one would you recommend? The second option would have the gap a spread out evenly, but there is no 52* with 14 bounce.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Went to the range again and measured the wedge distance with GPS, should be a little more accurate now.

Take your wedges to a clubfitter, I was surprised to find my Cleveland wedges were off by at least 1* and in the case of my LW 2*. Any decent clubfitter can bend a wedge at least 2*

The 4/5 wedge system is ideal for low cappers who have plenty of time to practice. For most of us, a 3 wedge system (perhaps four if you use your PW as a 10 iron) is more than enough. IMHO, I see far too many people playing high spinning wedge shots that leave little room for error.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I just replaced my worn Vokey with the Callaway Jaws Series, I use the four wedge system, but will sometimes drop the three wood and insert a 64* Vokey (less than a year old) if it really hard and dry. I typically do not hit any short or mid irons 100%. I have a 47* PW then a 52*/12* bounce, 56*/16* bounce, and a 60*/0* bounce. I not only want different lofts but I want a variety of bounces also so that the lie can dictate what club to use as much as the distance. A 60 yard shot off of the fairway will be a 52* wedge, out of the rough will be 56* and off of the hardpan will be a 60*. Of course the length of swing will vary but the tempo will be the same. My 60* is the new CC grooves, since I do not need to spin it out of the rough much I did not want the aggressive grooves. It still put plenty of spin on the half and 3/4 shots but the little pitches around the green will not check up if I do not want them too. I have plenty of other options if I want it to check up. The zero bounce also reduces the odds of bouncing up and blading the ball.

However, this is still not enough to make up for a poor swing.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 2 months later...

The 4/5 wedge system is ideal for low cappers who have plenty of time to practice. For most of us, a 3 wedge system (perhaps four if you use your PW as a 10 iron) is more than enough.

I think I have to disagree with this statement on 4/5 for low cappers and 3 for high cappers. Low cappers have the "feel" or "touch" to control distance much better than high handicappers plus are less likely to need them. A few years ago when I started carrying all these wedges I found it very comforting to know that if I was 40 yards out, I brought the 56 degree wedge back to belt high and swung through to belt high. 50 yards, same swing 52 degree. 30 yards, same swing 60 degree. 60 yards, same swing with a PW or 60 degree from shoulder high, and so on. I went so far as to write down the distances on a card and carried in my bag. I would get to the ball, determine the distance, look at the card and I knew exactly how to play it. It makes all the difference in the world to have no doubt in your mind how to play the next shot. The interesting thing about it is, as I got better at making contact with the center of the club face, I saw these distances grow to the point where I needed to add the 64 degree wedge.

However, this philosophy should not be limited to just wedges. The same swing that now produces the 50 yard shot with the 56* produces a 100 yard shot with the 8 iron. So, if I have a 100 yard shot I have the option of an easy 52*, a really hard 56*, an 3/4 (shoulder high) PW or an 1/2 (belt high) 8 iron, or even a bump and run with a 24* hybrid (knee high). Of course this can be done with any club. So, from 100 yards I have 6 choices in how to play it. I would only pick the 56* if I had to go over a tree and only the bump and run if it was very smooth and flat to the green. But wind and conditions are a consideration. Today, I hit a 175 yard bump and run with a driver (hands a little more than waist high) that came out of the trees and rolled across the green to the fringe.

These are not necessarily my distances because I lost the card but if I were to make another it would be like this.

The head of the club is brought back to this clock position.

Club..7:30..9:00..10:30..12:00..Full

PW.....38....63....100....126...135

These are not the actual numbers. I have not spent the time lately to know exactly how far I hit each one with each swing. What I do know is that on my normal iron swing, I only take the club head back to the 12 o'clock position. Irons are all about control. From that position, I hit the ball the distances listed and have some left over if for some reason I have to really kill the ball. (I have hit the FULL wedge shot in six months. When I did it backed completely off of the green.) The other numbers are a spreadsheet of 80% 50% and 30%, but this is close to what I got when I actually measured them. My number would be meaningless to your game anyway.

Once again the point is that when faced with a shot inside 100 yards, you can estimate the distance and have a go to club.

High cappers are much more likely to miss the green or be in the 30 to 50 yards from the green range than low cappers. Having a go to shot from these distances is very important. Having a selection of wedges and know how hard to hit them makes it easier. The likelihood of hitting the green from 200 yards is slim, but the likelihood of being inside of 50 yards from there is high. More wedges give increase the chance of getting up and down.

On a side note, since in the previous post I told that I went to Callaway wedges, I will point out that I went back to the Vokeys. Vokeys just suit me better. I do not know what it was about them, I just scored better the Vokeys. I played with a guy who switched at the same time as I did but from Callaway to Vokeys and hated the Vokeys. So we ended up swapping.

I think I have to disagree with this statement on 4/5 for low cappers and 3 for high cappers. Low cappers have the "feel" or "touch" to control distance much better than high handicappers plus are less likely to need them. A few years ago when I started carrying all these wedges I found it very comforting to know that if I was 40 yards out, I brought the 56 degree wedge back to belt high and swung through to belt high. 50 yards, same swing 52 degree. 30 yards, same swing 60 degree. 60 yards, same swing with a PW or 60 degree from shoulder high, and so on. I went so far as to write down the distances on a card and carried in my bag. I would get to the ball, determine the distance, look at the card and I knew exactly how to play it. It makes all the difference in the world to have no doubt in your mind how to play the next shot. The interesting thing about it is, as I got better at making contact with the center of the club face, I saw these distances grow to the point where I needed to add the 64 degree wedge.

High cappers are much more likely to miss the green or be in the 30 to 50 yards from the green range than low cappers. Having a go to shot from these distances is very important. Having a selection of wedges and know how hard to hit them makes it easier. The likelihood of hitting the green from 200 yards is slim, but the likelihood of being inside of 50 yards from there is high. More wedges give increase the chance of getting up and down.

Totally agree with you on this. I recommend that high handicap players have as many wedges as they can carry because it gives them more "full swing" yardages. While I wouldn't advise a high handicapper to try to figure out their 25%, 50%, 66.66%..... shots (I'm exaggerating, obviously), I would recommend learning a half shot with all their wedges (if not all irons). This is a shot I've had since I was trying to break 100 and it's one of my favorites. I find that even now, as a "better" player, I would rather hit that half shot hard from 60, 70, or 80 yards than try to finesse a wedge in from 30.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm currently gaming a 46* PW, 50*, 55* SW, 60*

My distance on full swing are:

PW 115-121 yards

50* 99-105 yards

SW 85-92 yards

60* 70-75 yards

First of all, I hope the gaps between the clubs are correct.

Second, I think having 4 wedges is doing more harm than good. Sometimes I sit between 2 wedges and don't know which one to hit... I'm sure some of you have a similar problem.

So my idea is to go to a 3 wedge set up.

But I don't think there are any 53* wedges out there with enough bounce to hit as a SW... most of the 14 bounce SW go from 54* to 56*

In this case, my gap wedge and sand wedge would be the same club and I would have the freedom to choose a 58*/60* with 4 bounce or something.

I still haven't figured whether I'm a digger or a slider, so I thought having wedges with difference bounces would be a good idea.

What do you guys think?

I would recommend that you pay less attention to the labels and more attention to the lofts and how much you can do with those higher lofts rather than just what their max distance is. The higher lofted clubs are nice for overlaps and getting to know them helps you choose the one that will serve better at any given moment factored by how you feel and how good you are at that moment. The club does not dictate performance, you and how well you practiced and know that club do. When you get within short club distance, just know which clubs can comfortably get you there, use your eyes to identify the best landing and choose the most comfortable club you have for hitting that target and holding it.

Don't let the clubs tell you what you can do. Get to know what you can do with those clubs and make them do more. Clubs are just tools. You make the difference.

Shambles

I've got 4. A 48' PW, then 52,56,60.

I'm not really to fussy with my wedges, as long as I like the way they sit and look I'm happy. None of my 4 wedges at the moment are even the same brand, let alone model.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

My point was not a one-size-fits-all description, merely a suggestion for what a 3 versus a 20 handicapper should be looking for. The fact is that a higher percentage of a low handicapper's shots come from wedge distance, so they are the ones that need more options that a larger wedge set provide. It is not only carry distance that is the issue, but often the type of shot that is important.

True, I absolutely bombed the driver all day on the par 4's, only had 3 approach shots that was a full shot (normally have at least 8). So I had many wedge shots, however, with this thread in mind, I did not vary my wedges with distance like I normally do. What I did was think of how hard to hit the pitching wedge to achieve the desired distance. It worked out pretty well. On 15 I remember thinking, "OK hit this 40 yards." and did. We also had a high handicapper with us, and he would have been unable to do that. However, he had difficulty hitting full shots.

I also carry 4 wedges a PW-52-54-60. Bounce all depends on the kind of fairways you typically hit off. My club keeps the fairways fairly tight so on my 60 I have 4 degrees of bounce on the other 8. I think for high handicappers a 60 degree wedge can be difficult as they don't realize how hard you have to actually hit them and most of them tend to add more loft which really screws up the shot.

I would recommend to try and hit to distances where your approach shots with any of your wedges are a comfortable full swing. 3/4 and 1/2 swings are hard unless you spend a lot of time getting the feel for them. Most PGA Pros would much rather hit a full shot any day. Get really good at knowing how far you hit each wedge with a comfortable full swing and carry how many you need to cover your normal approach distances.

Committed to helping "average golfers" improve your game quickly and easily without buying more equipment, long hours of practice and with the swing you currently have.

GolfMasteryNow.com

• 1 month later...

I play 4 wedges PW (47), GW (52), SW (56), LW (60) I have to agree with the previous posters that High handicappers need more wedges then the low one it simply makes it easy to swing them full and get a proper distance.

All of my wedges get used from anything from a 2 yard pith to a 100 yards. It really just depends on what I am trying to do with the shot, a 95 yard would easily be a good full 60* for me however if the green slopes bad from back to front it will over spin the ball, so the 56 or 52 come out depending. I have used an 8 iron from 100 before into a stiff wind to keep it low and run it up the front onto the green.

I like to carry 4 wedges for the simple fact it gives me different options in trajectory and spin control. If you are using good course management you would lay-up to a yardage you like with a given wedge try to avoid the in-between yardages. But if the need arises there is always the option to chock down 2" and swing full to knock off 5 to 10 so yard you'd have to practice to see how much it will cut the distance.

It is fun to use the 52* out of bunkers on long bunker shots, you don't have to swing as hard as you would with a 56 or 60 and it will have more room for error thanks to less spin you can hit it and it will run out for you. I have hit bunker shots in the green side bunkers with up to an 8iron before, more clubs you have for short yardages the more creativity you can have around the green to get up and down. There is a reason you will see Phil play like 5 or 6 wedges at times.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Ah reviving my topic from last year :D

Now that I got the MP59 iron where the PW is 46*, I will complement it with a 50,54,58 wedge set up.

See how it goes this year. Hope the 58 is more forgiving than the 60 was.

• 2 weeks later...

Also play a 4 wedge set up- 46, 51, 56, 61. Though with the i20 irons, the PW is more of a 10 iron. I just find there are some shots I really like to hit with the 61. And I'm a sucker for the flop shot. I know my distances with full, 1/2 and 3/4 swings, which is important. Four wedges provide a lot of versatility.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• 4 weeks later...

46*, 50*, 56*, and 60* for me. I used to play 54 and 58 in the sand and lob wedges but I now like the extra loft and bounce on the 56* for greenside bunker play.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I have had a copper Ping Eye 2+ wedge (53*) for many years. I have not really played it much opting new model Titleist Wedges. Plus I really did not like the offset. However, I have been able to get used to it in the last couple of weeks. My copper Scotty Cameron putter was misbehaving so I gave it a time out a couple of weeks ago and stuck it in the time out bag. When I figured out it was not the putter, but the person using it, I pulled it back out but that BeCu Ping was sitting in the bag next to it and it looked really cool. So did the oil can finish Titleist wedges. So I took out the Tour Chrome 52, 56, and 64 and opted for the BeCu 53, and Oil Can 56 and 60 and the copper putter. And they looked really cool. Which to me makes me play better.

As I said in another thread where we were talking about feel. It is not just how they club feels in your hand when you hit the ball that is important. But how the club makes you feel about yourself when you see it. For some people, they could not use a big grip on the putter or a long putter because it would make them feel like they could not putt with a normal putter so they would not do well with it. Same with blades for some people.

Well, I love to drive up to the green and pull out the copper putter and copper wedge. They look cool to me. So I started playing this wedge again. Instead of varying the club based on the distance I used the same club and hit it different ways. Some bump and runs and some hop and stop and other things. Today, I did not use any other wedge all day and I had one of the best short game days I have had. Of course it helped that 13 GIR but I did get to use it on some shorter par 4s and 5s where I had only a wedge shot in.

The reason I am posting this here is because a few years ago I could not have gotten so close to the flag using just one club. But it just felt right. I chipped in once, lipped out twice, and ended up inside of 8 feet all but 3 or 4 times I used it, and they were more than 80 yards out.

Archived