TESTERS WANTED! ×

South Carolina trip

Hey all,

Me and few buds were thinking of driving down to Myrtle from metro Detroit later this summer. Of course, restrictions would need to be lifted, adhere to any social distancing rules, etc. No doubt things could change in a heartbeat, BUT, if things look better later this summer there's a good chance we do it.

Having said all that, has anyone made a trip down from the Midwest area and if so, what courses did you play along the way and what courses did you play while there? We're not looking to break the bank and it would only be a 6 day trip (1 day down, 4 days there, 1 day back). But ideally we would rotate driving so there would be no stopping (except to golf). 

Thoughts, ideas, opinions welcome.

Thanks!

A course I've come across that was a cool design and fun play was The Virtues Golf Club outside of Columbus.  It's a bit off your direct path, but I think it was the top rated Ohio Public course from Golf Digest at one point.  If it fits into your schedule, it was well maintained and had a great front 9.  The back 9 has a few good holes, but not as many as the front in my opinion. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I've made two trips from Akron over the last few years. We've played Grande Dunes, Wild Wing, TPC Myrtle Beach, King's North, Barefoot (Dye, Fazio, and Love). On the last trip, on our way out of town, we played Diamondback, which was about 30 minutes out of town, as I recall. We found a really cheap rate on GolfNow for that one. I think all of them were a lot of fun, but Grande Dunes was probably my least favorite, but the rainy day might have contributed to that opinion.

The first trip was about $500 per person (two of us) for lodging and golf and we played 6 rounds in 4 days at the first 4 courses listed.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, TurnMaker said:

Hey all,

Me and few buds were thinking of driving down to Myrtle from metro Detroit later this summer. Of course, restrictions would need to be lifted, adhere to any social distancing rules, etc. No doubt things could change in a heartbeat, BUT, if things look better later this summer there's a good chance we do it.

Having said all that, has anyone made a trip down from the Midwest area and if so, what courses did you play along the way and what courses did you play while there? We're not looking to break the bank and it would only be a 6 day trip (1 day down, 4 days there, 1 day back). But ideally we would rotate driving so there would be no stopping (except to golf). 

Thanks!

Glad to see interest in coming to SC.  I hope you are able to make the trip and enjoy your time here.  I cannot speak for Myrtle Beach, but for us in the upstate (central northern part) social distancing rules are quickly relaxing and most if not all golf courses are open.  Many restaurants are now open to dining at half capacity. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

5 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I've made two trips from Akron over the last few years. We've played Grande Dunes, Wild Wing, TPC Myrtle Beach, King's North, Barefoot (Dye, Fazio, and Love). On the last trip, on our way out of town, we played Diamondback, which was about 30 minutes out of town, as I recall. We found a really cheap rate on GolfNow for that one. I think all of them were a lot of fun, but Grande Dunes was probably my least favorite, but the rainy day might have contributed to that opinion.

The first trip was about $500 per person (two of us) for lodging and golf and we played 6 rounds in 4 days at the first 4 courses listed.

Out of the first few mentioned, I've heard good things about Barefoot and Dunes (and obvs TPC). What was your top 2-3?

1 hour ago, TurnMaker said:

Out of the first few mentioned, I've heard good things about Barefoot and Dunes (and obvs TPC). What was your top 2-3?

My friend's favorite was Wild Wing. I felt like a lot of the mounding/sculpting seemed a little contrived, but it was still a lot of fun. I think TPC is probably my favorite, but not by a lot, and that might be because it was in perfect condition for being mid March (they had overseeded for a Jr tournament so no dormant grass). I played the Barefoot courses in October of last year and really enjoyed all three, although the day we played Dye was very windy after a big storm delayed our tee time by a few hours, so it was hard, really hard. I scored best on the Love course, but Fazio was probably my favorite of those three. I honestly don't think you could really go wrong with any of them.

Here is my write-up from 2018:

I can't seem to find the thread from the trip last fall. If I find it, I'll add it if I feel it has much useful info for you.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:57 AM, TurnMaker said:

Hey all,

Thanks!

Any idea on where you are staying in Myrtle? 

My favorite course down there is hands down World Tour. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On 6/1/2020 at 2:36 PM, Apes44 said:

Any idea on where you are staying in Myrtle? 

My favorite course down there is hands down World Tour. 

Honestly don’t know yet. And I’ve strangely never heard of World Tour. Odd name. Is it gimmicky?

10 hours ago, TurnMaker said:

Honestly don’t know yet. And I’ve strangely never heard of World Tour. Odd name. Is it gimmicky?

I haven't played it, but supposedly each hole is modeled after holes from famous courses around the world, in which case the name makes sense.

Played World Tour about ten years ago.  It was fun, but honestly, I wouldn't make a return trip.  Much better tracks out there.  But you play it to say "that's how I would have played it.." except it really isn't.  Its a novelty.  Good for a buddies trip.  But its not going to be the highlight.   I remember playing their imitation of August's 13.  I kept the video because I had to play out of the creek, but it wasn't the same.  Not the same slopes on the greens, etc..  But as I recall they have little descriptions of each hole and why its memorable.  

If I went back it be for Barefoot, Caledonia,  True Blue...  

But hey, for a buddies trip sometimes, gimmicky is what you are looking for.  We used to love the RTJ trail for our trips not for the "championship" courses, but because the afternoon/evening rounds on the short course were always the highlight.  So it really depends on what your objectives are. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

21 hours ago, TurnMaker said:

It’s a neat course if you’ve never played. 18 holes from famous course you may not be lucky enough to play, St Andrews, Sawgrass, Oakmont, Augusta. Check it out. 

For lodging check out beach cove resort, that’s where we stay when we go down, it’s in North Myrtle so it’s kinda more calm than near boardwalk area 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

If you're open to ideas I'd say consider going to Pinehurst considering its just pure golf heaven. If you're tied to Myrtle, if you don't see yourself making it back the Carolinas ever, make the detour to play No 2 or No 4. 

I'm looking at Myrtle for my upcoming bachelor party (not everyone golfs otherwise i'd go to pinehurst) and based on people i've talked to, the must play golf courses are Caledonia and Dune Golf and Beach Club. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I've been to Myrtle every year since 2003 except one (well, now 2).  The Barefoot courses are great to play.  Caledonia, though, is probably my favorite (it's in south Myrtle area), along with its sister course, True Blue.  Enjoyed Grande Dunes and Dunes Club, too.  Thistle another good one, if you're farther north.  I think the cat courses (Tiger's Eye, Lion's Paw, etc.) show well in pictures but aren't always great.

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

@JWK1969 Which Barefoot course is best overall and which Barefoot course do you think is best for the widest range of skill levels?

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Caledonia Golf & Fish Club

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

16 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Caledonia Golf & Fish Club

Caledonia is great but this is just me I like the River Club better. Seems to me Caledonia is way over priced

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Caledonia is great but this is just me I like the River Club better. Seems to me Caledonia is way over priced

I am sure you know, living close by. I have never played River Club.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I have been to Myrtle Beach on golf trips many times. We will play 2 days, go deep sea fishing one day, then play golf another 2 days. MB is divided into 3 sections, south, central, north.  Each sections golf courses are different. South are more p,antation courses with Spanish moss hanging from the trees, central tends to weave in and around condos and has some traditional layouts. North has a good mix but not much of the Spanish moss.

World Tour is gimmicky meaning you get a passport which gets stamped when you play the back 9 holes from other countries. You get to play all famous holes but remember they are all the toughest holes so don't expect a low round. 

My preference is the south strand .  Caledonia, True Blue, Heritage, TPC Myrtle Beach, Litchfield Plantation are all top notch.

Heading  toward central I would lean toward Arrowhead, Wizard (built through a swamp with miles of bridges and gators), Kings North, Wild Wing, Glen Dornoch, Legends.

North MB  Rivers Edge, Long Bay, Oyster Bay, Sandpiper Bay, 

The drive is about 1 hour from end to end so I would try to mix the course type up when I go. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Haven’t road tripped it from your whereabouts but I’ve played quite a few in SC. The Ocean course is of course just special, but the one i enjoyed the most (and that’s from looking at all aspects) still stands with Heritage Golf Club. And again, I’ve played quite a few times in SC and like to think I have a very good sense and taste as to what separates raw beauty and experience from your other top notch courses.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Brock C Davison 

Things To Know :

• I hit my 7-iron like John Daly hits the 3
  • Brands I Stand By: Peter Millar, Taylormade, PING, Seamus, and of course Titleist 
  • Favorite Golfer Of All Time: Payne Stewart & Freddy "Boom Boom

I have made several buddy trips to Myrtle Beach. The 2 courses that are always on the itinerary are True Blue and Caledonia Golf & Fish Club. Caledonia is a beautiful course and is consistently in the Top 100 Public Courses in America. True Blue is across the street and is a different challenge, more open fairway, but some crazy deep bunkers and an island green Par 3. Heritage is ok, I just thought that the housing infringed a little on the course, just personal taste. I never cared for the TPC course personally. If you do head down to Pawley's Island to play Caledonia or True Blue make sure you check out the Pawley's Island Tavern, one of my all time favorite places.

:callaway-small: Mavrik 9 Degree

image.png.ee19b0f17da7a45faaa30e114f86e3c9.png  Mavrik 4 Wood

image.png.cdd20ffc100c65049392af87e0ae3e49.png  Mavrik 3 Hybrid

image.png.5e6ae6d961fc0d5a2a4e5185f0e0c918.png  Mavrik 4 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: CBX 52 Degree

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole S

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5

• 4 weeks later...

YES that an very good course and I also Liked Pawleys plantation ...it was a jack Nicklaus design with amazing views 

• Driver:  TM M5 10.5   AD Tour DI7X

3w ; SIM MAX 14  Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

5w : Adams Tight Lies 2 -19  KuroKage 60g S 

Irons 4-PW: Miura MC 501 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: EPON 50 - SM7 52 - 56 - 60

Putter: Miura Series 1957 KM-005 

Ball: PROV1 X 

•  

• 1 month later...

Myrtle Beach is a golf Disney World. There are many great courses most of which have been named here. I used to go twice a year. I now play most of my seaside golf in Charleston.  I would never try to talk you out of going to Myrtle Beach, but Charleston has some great tracks too.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough