TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best wedge to chip with?

Hello everyone! Just a green recruit over here wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Every time I am near or around the green in scenario's in which I need to chip the ball, I am always wondering what the best wedge in each case would be? I currently have a 52, 56, and 60 degree in the bag. In most cases I always default to the 52 since it should be the easiest club to chip with but I've been wondering if there are clear cut instances in which I should be switching to a different given wedge?

Appreciate all the feedback in advance!

Driver: Cobra F9, stiff, (set 10 deg)

3 Wood: Srixon F65, Reg, (15 deg)

Hybrid: Cobra Baffler TWS, reg, (20 deg)

Irons: Cobra Forged One Length, stiff( 4-PW)

Wedges: 52 deg Ray Cook, 56deg TM Milled Grind, 60 deg Ray Cook

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Xg 2-ball F7

Some people use one club all the time while others use multiple clubs. Figure out what works for you. It could be beneficial to work with a single club to learn basic technique and how to alter height, carry, and spin.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with @palvord, ideally I will use my 60 degree to fly it closer to the hole and land softer to avoid a big ridge/bunker/etc.

I’ve struggled with my short game and that’s what I probably practice the most. I always go to the chipping green and practice different scenarios. I mainly stick to the longer and higher carry for my chips than the bump and run, but that’s because I don’t practice the bump and run enough. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

85% of the time it is with one club. But 90% of the time I take 50, 55, & 59 to the shot and decide once I have taken everything into account. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

As @palvord and @cnosil has said, use what works best for you.  I tend to default to my 56* wedge, but if I need to do a little bump and run, then a PW, 9 or 8 might be in the works.  I've even chipped with a 7 iron from a bit off the green to take trouble out of the equation.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

2 hours ago, palvord said:

Honestly, any club in the bag will work for chipping. It depends on the scenario and what you want the ball to do.

If I want the ball to get on the green and start rolling quickly, I will use my 52, 9i, or 7i.

If I want the ball to carry over something and land soft, I will use my 56 or 60.

Here are a few good videos that I have referred to for learning different chipping techniques:

The best thing that has helped me learn is just going and trying different things at the practice green. The fun part and challenging part of the short game is that there is no one "correct" answer, but there are principles that matter. Happy learning!

Thank you very much for your reply and the videos too! I found the rule of 12 to be quite interesting when it comes to deciding what club to use around the green when chipping. Definitely going to be referencing these videos when I feel lost in my chipping. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
6 hours ago, J Kreger said:

Hello everyone! Just a green recruit over here wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Every time I am near or around the green in scenario's in which I need to chip the ball, I am always wondering what the best wedge in each case would be? I currently have a 52, 56, and 60 degree in the bag. In most cases I always default to the 52 since it should be the easiest club to chip with but I've been wondering if there are clear cut instances in which I should be switching to a different given wedge?

Appreciate all the feedback in advance!

There are a couple, or a thousand, schools of thought on chipping. 

1. One club with different length swings to control distance - like the clock system
  2. Two or three, maybe 4, swings and use the club for a distance with one of those swings - like putt stroke, 1/4 stroke, 1/2 swing = interval system

The answer is what you feel more confident to get you closer to the hole more often. 

1. One club Clock system - popular with Dave Pelz, is to pick a club you like to use around the greens and learn how far it goes with varying lengths of backswing as if your lead arm is the hour hand on a clock. 6 is the address position, 7 is slightly back, 8 is about 1/4 swing, 9 is left arm parallel to the ground and so on. The typical execution of the shot is to control the length of the backswing and follow through equal amounts, and use a smooth motion that is a simple gravity acceleration that doesn't flip the club nor decelerate. 

2. Swing checkpoints using various clubs - seems to work well from 100-50yds better than 50yds to the green for me. Basically you practice 3 partial swings you feel you execute best, and practice that swing with all your short clubs to your 8 or even 7 iron. You put together a spreadsheet of your yardages with your clubs at different length swings. Even up close to the greens this can work if one of your swings is short enough - for me it is about 2 feet back where the clubhead is just outside my trail foot. 

Eventually, you figure out what works best for your skill and personal style. The more options you have can turn into option paralysis, so some people have one club as their go-to around the greens. Other people have a club and swing for every situation. 

Personally, I use a different club based on how much green I have to work with. Lots of green let's me roll it to the pin so I pick a less lofted club. Less green requires a shot with little run. I hit 2000 balls a month at the range. Half are less than 100 yds to practice these shots to save par around the greens.

Edited by Delete
Spelling

With 2 exceptions my 60* Ping Eye 2 is my go to club 70 yds in, green side rough and bunkers as well. I use the clock system for distance control and bunker and greens side open the face for a high flop shot.

The Two exceptions: a 7i or 8i for bump and roll. A lower lofted wedge - generally a 56* if I have an elevated approach shot from the rough.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I personally prefer an 8-iron.  IMO, chipping with a higher lofted wedge like a 56 or 60 is a bad idea because its easy to hit it fat or thin.  If you take a short iron and just do a putting stroke, its actually quite easy.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Please do some research, I would not suggest using just one club.

https://www.titleist.com/choosing-the-right-wedge-around-the-green

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I agree with the comments previously posted regarding one club for around the greens. That is what I committed to. I learned how far I could carry and the ball would release with one club w/multiple swings (short-chip/med-pitch/full-lob, etc). The club was either of my 58 deg or 62 deg lob wedges. Obviously as I got further (outside 40 yards or so) I practiced similarly with the SW/54/56 degree (mainly half and full swings). Lots of practice and instruction if possible. Confidence can build quick if practiced consistently. Good luck. 

4 hours ago, TimoTe said:

There are a couple, or a thousand, schools of thought on chipping. 

1. One club with different length swings to control distance - like the clock system
  2. Two or three, maybe 4, swings and use the club for a distance with one of those swings - like putt stroke, 1/4 stroke, 1/2 swing = interval system

The answer is what you feel more confident to get you closer to the hole more often. 

1. One club Clock system - popular with Dave Pelz, is to pick a club you like to use around the greens and learn how far it goes with varying lengths of backswing as if your lead arm is the hour hand on a clock. 6 is the address position, 7 is slightly back, 8 is about 1/4 swing, 9 is left arm parallel to the ground and so on. The typical execution of the shot is to control the length of the backswing and follow through equal amounts, and use a smooth motion that is a simple gravity acceleration that doesn't flip the club nor decelerate. 

2. Swing checkpoints using various clubs - seems to work well from 100-50yds better than 50yds to the green for me. Basically you practice 3 partial swings you feel you execute best, and practice that swing with all your short clubs to your 8 or even 7 iron. You put together a spreadsheet of your yardages with your clubs at different length swings. Even up close to the greens this can work if one of your swings is short enough - for me it is about 2 feet back where the clubhead is just outside my trail foot. 

Eventually, you figure out what works best for your skill and personal style. The more options you have can turn into option paralysis, so some people have one club as their go-to around the greens. Other people have a club and swing for every situation. 

Personally, I use a different club based on how much green I have to work with. Lots of green let's me roll it to the pin so I pick a less lofted club. Less green requires a shot with little run. I hit 2000 balls a month at the range. Half are less than 100 yds to practice these shots to save par around the greens.

Thank you such an in-depth response! I just recently watched a video with Rick Shiels explaining how he handles 30yd-100yd shots and the use of the clock system. The equal parts back and equal parts through is something I know I need to work on for confidence and consistency. 

I agree with many of the responses above. I use my Vokey 60º most of the time as I can hit many different shots with it, but I will also go with a 52º or even 8 or 9 iron if I want to play a bump and run. Another good resource is Phil Mickelson's instagram account. He has posted quite a few videos with short game tips (not to mention a lot of other great/funny videos).

Driver: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png M5 10.5 - Tensei CK Orange 60s
3W: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png RBZ
5W: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png SLDR
4-GW: image.png.9df0e471af2d5b9a0272d4536f1043b0.png JPX-EZ Forged - Dynamic Gold X100
Wedges: image.png.b244c1dbed7bae5489798af85f00ca52.png SM7 52 & 60
Putter: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png TM110

image.png

• Guests
Guest Delete
3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

With 2 exceptions my 60* Ping Eye 2 is my go to club 70 yds in, green side rough and bunkers as well. I use the clock system for distance control and bunker and greens side open the face for a high flop shot.

The Two exceptions: a 7i or 8i for bump and roll. A lower lofted wedge - generally a 56* if I have an elevated approach shot from the rough.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have to agree with you on not using a lob in the rough with the ball perched up. One of the most frustrating situations would be going under the ball completely. 

The higher bounce on a sand wedge, or a less lofted club like a gap or PW, helps prevent going under it completely. 

10 hours ago, tchat07 said:

All comes down to trial and error. What on the golf course works best for your skill set? I've seen everything from a 6 iron to a 64 degree wedge work for folks. With chipping I believe it all comes down to what improves your chances of 1 putting after, go with that club.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yup, plus I might add confidence - that, of course, comes from lots of practice. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think you can make any club work, the idea is to practice whatever technique you choose.  For me if I pull a7 iron and try to chip i have no idea how hard to hit the ball, because I don't practice that shot.  On the other hand I can chip with a58 degree and hit any type shot i want. It's not a one size fits all situation in my eyes. 

If I could only use one club to chip, I’d pick my 52°, it’s the most versatile club in my bag. I can use it for high soft shots, and low runners. That said, I rarely use my 52° for shots around the green because it isn’t as specialized as other clubs. My 3 most used clubs are 58° (for high soft shots with no green to work with), PW (for medium shots with some run), and my 8 iron for all bump and run shots off of tight lies. I’m not sure how technically correct these methods are, but they work really well for me, and are some of the most reliable shots I have. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On 5/29/2020 at 11:23 AM, palvord said:

Honestly, any club in the bag will work for chipping. It depends on the scenario and what you want the ball to do.

If I want the ball to get on the green and start rolling quickly, I will use my 52, 9i, or 7i.

If I want the ball to carry over something and land soft, I will use my 56 or 60.

Here are a few good videos that I have referred to for learning different chipping techniques:

The best thing that has helped me learn is just going and trying different things at the practice green. The fun part and challenging part of the short game is that there is no one "correct" answer, but there are principles that matter. Happy learning!

Yes on this all depends on where you are and what you’re trying to do. I personally love the 8 iron for a lot of things around the green and of course all the wedges. My 58 is pretty much any green side trap so on and so forth.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 5/29/2020 at 11:23 AM, palvord said:

has given a lot of information, and he is right, it all depends on the lie and shot you are trying to pull off.

As previously mentioned 90% of the time you are going to use your high loft wedges, but there will be times that you will need something flatter.

I've used almost every club in my bag around the greens, maybe not the driver but everything else.

3 Wood, all of the irons and the putter, all have been used from the fringe to the rough around the green at some point.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

My go to is a 50* unless I have to go over a hazard which requires a high shot and drop. Then it's either a 60* or 56*. 

Practice , practice, practice. Did I mention to practice!  Eventually you will find out works best for you. As mentioned by others the clock system will be your friend. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag