Sign in to follow this  
Bustaferrari

Cobra F8 - Sweet Spot??

Our Sponsors

Hey Spys - I was wondering for those of you that have used or currently use the Cobra F8 Driver if you have noticed a certain sweet spot or is it just my driver. I have noticed that if I hit below center that distance is lost but if I hit above center the distance is still pretty good. Do you think that this is by design? Wondering everyone's thoughts. Thanks! 

Generally the same for about every driver due to roll and bulge and gear effect

Hits low of center will spin more and and launch lower. Hits above center will launch higher and spin less. 

Higher launch and lower spin almost always equates to more distance. 

On top of all that, most drivers retain ball speed better on high/toe hits vs low/heel 

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST Ping 9* LST (playing 8*) VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

57 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Generally the same for about every driver due to roll and bulge and gear effect

Hits low of center will spin more and and launch lower. Hits above center will launch higher and spin less. 

Higher launch and lower spin almost always equates to more distance. 

On top of all that, most drivers retain ball speed better on high/toe hits vs low/heel 

Nailed it. You ever hit one that’s just SMOKED, like 30 yards longer than normal with a pronounced draw? Caught that one a bit high and on the toe. 

• Like 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Up until the F8, Cobra drivers were known for their sweet spot low on the club face.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Driver F9                     

:titelist-small: 5 wood 18 TS2 

:titelist-small: Hybrid  TS3 22* 
:mizuno-small: Irons 4i - 6 MP-18 MMC

:mizuno-small:  Irons 7i - PW MP-20 HMB       
:vokey-small: SM8 50/8 F                                                            

:callaway-small: Wedges MD5 Jaws  54/s 58/x

:mizuno-small: Putter M-Craft II black

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

6 hours ago, Bustaferrari said:

Hey Spys - I was wondering for those of you that have used or currently use the Cobra F8 Driver if you have noticed a certain sweet spot or is it just my driver. I have noticed that if I hit below center that distance is lost but if I hit above center the distance is still pretty good. Do you think that this is by design? Wondering everyone's thoughts. Thanks! 

The best spot to hit on the driver isnt exactly in the middle of the clubface.

image.png.ff9160f739aa8f07bab03e0ace376202.png

• Like 2

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, @scooterhd2 pic paints the right picture (no pun intended)

The Sweet spot is in the center, but the part you actually want to hit it off of is the Hot Spot.  It's interesting to me that club manufacturers haven't gone out of their way to correct this common misconception.

When you look at the reviews of previous Cobra drivers, hit anything below centre and you can loose 30-50yds. I am not sure with the F8 but the reviews of the F9 and SZ state that this is know longer the case. With these it is more like 10-20yds.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Good feedback on this discussion. I appreciate the insight from all that replied. I do feel that newer drivers are more forgiving below the center and that is likely due to golfers complaints? Not sure but either way Ill keep missing high and ill be fine for now. 😃

I gamed the F8 for the last two years, and the sweet spot is an elliptical area that goes from just inside and below the center and the upper toe.

BTW, I adjusted from 10.5 to 12.5 and gained about 10-15 yards. The launch was elevated and very centered.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).