ncwoz

Stats: What do you track, how do you track, and what do you do with that information?

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

curious if anyone tracks number of shots from 100 or 125 and in as an example?

What about up and down stats and no this isn’t just for saving par.

I do manually track up & down % from 30 yards out, doesn't matter if it's for birdie or triple, to get an idea of my scrambling ability.

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

I'm guessing I am an outlier when it comes to this but I track everything. DECADE breaks it down in a couple of different ways. Here is an example of SG breakdown by approach distance. If it is inside 50 yards (I have seen 60 used too) it falls in to the short game breakdown. 
Capture.JPG.a94287affcadbe6e6f1a51def2949b16.JPGCapture.JPG.41833a18351159634abfd8e3f1039bcd.JPG

I don’t think you are an outlier. I see posts by lots of people that uses Arccos and other stat gathering platforms that enable some type of breakdown. Decade and some other platforms.

My issues; all personal:
1. I hate anything that requires interaction on the course. That includes shot editing or even writing down information to be collected later. If I am familiar with the course, I can recall most of the stat information.

2. I don’t like subscription based software. I prefer pay once and it is yours. I understand the subscription model for web based products since you are getting upgrades but that doesn’t mean I want to follow.

3. I have tried the spreadsheet based strokes gained approaches but lost interest due to how long it took to manually enter the info.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

42 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That seems pretty detailed and would help develop a practice strategy if one were to focus on an area 

I am a numbers guy so I just like the knowledge, however it does allow me to practice specifically what I am struggling with. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think you are an outlier. I see posts by lots of people that uses Arccos and other stat gathering platforms that enable some type of breakdown. Decade and some other platforms.

My issues; all personal:
1. I hate anything that requires interaction on the course. That includes shot editing or even writing down information to be collected later. If I am familiar with the course, I can recall most of the stat information.

2. I don’t like subscription based software. I prefer pay once and it is yours. I understand the subscription model for web based products since you are getting upgrades but that doesn’t mean I want to follow.

3. I have tried the spreadsheet based strokes gained approaches but lost interest due to how long it took to manually enter the info.

I can't fault you for any of that. I started with Arccos but I don't like how they calculate some of their SG. Also theirs is based off a scratch golfer's data compiled into their system. While it is good it is not great. 

I am working on a system with the good ole paper & pencil. Something that I can track as I am writing scores down. 

As far as the on course interaction I don't enjoy it either. I have gotten it down to just first putt distance and pin location on Arccos but it is annoying. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I am working on a system with the good ole paper & pencil. Something that I can track as I am writing scores down. 

I’d love to come up with some kind of shorthand notation that I could quickly jot down that gave me information that I could quickly enter when I got home.
I really want to know how many shots does it take me to get into the hole from various distances and what club I used. Basically strokes gained type information but not compared to other golfers. I want to know how “successful” I am with each club and from different distances.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I used to but then I said F it, get the ball in the hole.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 2

I've kept various stats in the past for informational purposes on my play, but now I prefer to focus on my overall game and not spend much time fiddling with details.  I'm more interested in what I shoot than how many up/downs I have.  

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I use ShotScope, I picked this over Arccos because of lower cost, no subscription, and the ease to tag putts and pin locations with the watch to provide detailed putting and proximity stats. It doesn't break down Strokes Gained by area which is the only downside, but there is enough data to identify weaknesses. In my case I identified my biggest weakness is each area of my game from the data then developed a practice plan around it:

Putting - too many 3 putts FIX: ladder drill, lagging to targets
Short Game - improve up/down% FIX: get SW to match LW, develop wedge matrix from 20-80 yards in 10 yard increments. Miss greens in appropriate areas instead of automatically going for the green from 180+
Approach - major drops in proximity to pin at 90, 130 yards FIX: course manage to these distances, focus on mid irons
Driver - left miss (pulls/hooks) resulted in losing 0.5 strokes per hole compared to right miss (slice). FIX: extra driver focus, practice elements to lock-in a fade shape. Heavier driver shaft to slow hands. Implemented strength routine with target of 10 yard distance gain.

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

I just started using DECADE this week. I’ve already gone through all of the month one videos, and I plan to rewatch them weekly if I have the time. 

I had a brief range session today and was working on two things:

1. Alignment: understanding that if my target for a 6 iron was the 175 marker, then I truly need to pick my spot to the right (I play a draw) of that and then swing. For years I would assume a “straight” spot and not truly commit. 
  2. Consistency in routine: I don’t have one when I’m on the course. So for today I was practicing speaking my routine out loud for every single ball I hit. I was working on my turn so my routine was: “pick your spot, walk up to the ball, club down, check my spot, feet wide, check my spot, turn...” then boom I’d hit it. 

I had one of if not THE best range sessions of my life by making it much more focused. I’m looking forward to getting back out there for more. 

Any of you DECADE users, I’d love to chat. I’m in the foundations app now but would love to see/understand the value of Elite as I continue to progress. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Driver with KBS TD Shaft

:srixon-small: ZF85 3 wood with Raijin Shaft and :benhogan-small: Baffy 5w with Harrison Rifle (old school!) Shaft

Hybrid: searching

:callaway-small: Mavrik Pro 4-PW Irons with TrueTemper DG S300 Shafts with :Arccos: 

:edel-golf-1: Custom Wedges - 48*, 53*, 58* with KBS V Shafts

:seemore-small: Platinum mTRI-Mallet

:bridgestone-small: 2020 Tour BX or B Ball

:cobra-small: Golf Ultralight Bag

2 hours ago, analyticandrew said:

I just started using DECADE this week. I’ve already gone through all of the month one videos, and I plan to rewatch them weekly if I have the time. 

I had a brief range session today and was working on two things:

1. Alignment: understanding that if my target for a 6 iron was the 175 marker, then I truly need to pick my spot to the right (I play a draw) of that and then swing. For years I would assume a “straight” spot and not truly commit. 
  2. Consistency in routine: I don’t have one when I’m on the course. So for today I was practicing speaking my routine out loud for every single ball I hit. I was working on my turn so my routine was: “pick your spot, walk up to the ball, club down, check my spot, feet wide, check my spot, turn...” then boom I’d hit it. 

I had one of if not THE best range sessions of my life by making it much more focused. I’m looking forward to getting back out there for more. 

Any of you DECADE users, I’d love to chat. I’m in the foundations app now but would love to see/understand the value of Elite as I continue to progress. 

That sounds like a really great system! Definitely need to be committed to the time it takes to implement.

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

Anyone else keep their putting stats? The only place I can compare myself to tour pros apples to apples is on the green. Tee to green is like apples to go carts.

Anyway, just started keeping “strokes gained” stats. How far away is my first putt? How many putts did it take to hole out. I enter those for each hole after the round, and compare how I did to what the average tour pro did from those distances.

Spreadsheet calculates it automatically after I input the data.

• Like 1