Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Controversial - PING: BLADES dont make you a better ball striker. Smaller sweet spots do.

El Chivo

What are your thoughts on this? Not sure if this has been published but PING conducted a study that good/great ballstrikers reduced their offline yardage closer to the centerline the smalle the blade length/smaller the sweet spots. 

Any truth to this? IMO I have seen a noted improvement from shovels to players cbs....I want to move into mbs....they just feel great and I can trap the ball better.

• Cobra RadSpeed,Set 8.5
  • Callway BB 4W 15*
  • Cobra  Forged Tec 18*
  • Cobra Forged Tec 2020 4-GW , 4*Flat, Standard
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  SW: RTX 54*
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  LW: Full Face RTX 58*
  • Scotty Cameron Putter: NP2

42 minutes ago, El Chivo said:

What are your thoughts on this? Not sure if this has been published but PING conducted a study that good/great ballstrikers reduced their offline yardage closer to the centerline the smalle the blade length/smaller the sweet spots. 

Any truth to this? IMO I have seen a noted improvement from shovels to players cbs....I want to move into mbs....they just feel great and I can trap the ball better.

Here's the excerpt from the Paul Wood, one of PING's engineers, talking about the results they got from their study:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

So I’m not the only one that thinks this way. Haha. I’ve been wanting to prove my theory for years but don’t have extra money to waste on a set of GI irons to see if I play better or worse. 

WITB Cobra F9 Speed Back w/Fujikura Atmos x70 black, Cobra 🐍 Fly Z Pro Irons 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60.04L(thanks MGS for the lesson), Ping Ketsch Putter, Ping Pioneer Bag, Tri Swivel II Cart. 

"For a certain category of player"

That's the important bit, in my mind.  If you hit the ball on the sweet spot all the time, you'll get better results from the smaller clubhead.  @El Chivo, as a 2 handicap, probably falls into that category.  For me, as a 7, I'm not nearly as consistent in hitting the sweet spot.  

I take issue a bit with the Title of the thread.  The conclusion I drew is that smaller clubheads work better than larger ones for good ballstrikers.  But a good ballstriker isn't made by the smaller clubhead, he's a good ballstriker no matter what club he uses.  Yes, his face angle and path might be slightly better when using the small clubheads, but that same clubhead isn't going to transform a 20-handicap into a good ballstriker.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

13 minutes ago, Shankster said:

🤯

Makes perfect sense.

I just re-read your review on the blueprints and still amazes me the look of them. Just beauties, something about the small head is just sleek (still laugh at the bread and butter picture). Would you feel more comfortable with performance on an in between style club like the 500 compared to a blueprint (if you didn’t care about size of club I know you not only prefer but require smaller profiles....understatement of the year 😂)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I just re-read your review on the blueprints and still amazes me the look of them. Just beauties, something about the small head is just sleek (still laugh at the bread and butter picture). Would you feel more comfortable with performance on an in between style club like the 500 compared to a blueprint (if you didn’t care about size of club I know you not only prefer but require smaller profiles....understatement of the year )

So I took my Taylormade clubs the RBZ Tours out for a ride back in January I think it was, sometime in the winter anyways.

They aren’t much bigger than the blueprints, ok well it is noticeable but not like a teaspoon to tablespoon difference.

I hooked every shot...

I do need to get the Loft, Lie, and SW adjusted on the Prints... and possibly new shafts. My swing is completely different than from my fitting.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

So I took my Taylormade clubs the RBZ Tours out for a ride back in January I think it was, sometime in the winter anyways.

They aren’t much bigger than the blueprints, ok well it is noticeable but not like a teaspoon to tablespoon difference.

I hooked every shot...

I do need to get the Loft, Lie, and SW adjusted on the Prints... and possibly new shafts. My swing is completely different than from my fitting.

What are you thinking for shafts? I also went with the LZs but 6.5 it’s crazy the difference, always played stock shelf clubs based on looks, big change this year 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

What are you thinking for shafts? I also went with the LZs but 6.5 it’s crazy the difference, always played stock shelf clubs based on looks, big change this year 

Whatever the fitter recommends honestly.

I like the feel of the KBS Tour shafts, but if I’m better fit for TT or something else I’m game for anything.

Even pink.

Just now, Shankster said:

Whatever the fitter recommends honestly.

I like the feel of the KBS Tour shafts, but if I’m better fit for TT or something else I’m game for anything.

Even pink.

Tie dye is making a come back could go with that too

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Yep. Man, all this talk about them... I can hear them crying in the corner of my room. They all have frowny faces... wondering when they’ll see the green grass again. emoji22.png

I have been going back and forth with @B.Boston waiting on my 790s. I swear they are being walked from California. There are no lie 20 updates on tracking and they’re in PA supposed to be here on the 28th and not June 

i am crying nevermind the clubs 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I have been going back and forth with [mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] waiting on my 790s. I swear they are being walked from California. There are no lie 20 updates on tracking and they’re in PA supposed to be here on the 28th and not June 

I do think if I had to switch from the Prints, I would seriously consider the 760’s with a 790 UDI.

I specifically remember asking why they put grill marks on the 760’s but I love the look of them from all angles.

Wow that video was awesome. So much goes into making those clubs. Very interesting stuff about face closure. Explains why I feel more consistent with my swing with smaller profile clubs.

Man I should have studied engineering and physics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Just now, Shankster said:

I do think if I had to switch from the Prints, I would seriously consider the 760’s with a 790 UDI.

I specifically remember asking why they put grill marks on the 760’s but I love the look of them from all angles.

I did the free true spec fitting last year. I will pay for that experience next time just awesome. But went through probably 9-10 different clubs the 790s were as soon as I swung them...it. Just knew felt it right away. Perk is being the same lofts as my previous set too. 
did they say why the grill marks?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I have been going back and forth with [mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] waiting on my 790s. I swear they are being walked from California. There are no lie 20 updates on tracking and they’re in PA supposed to be here on the 28th and not June 

As long as you have them before we go to NH! I’m really interested to see your game with those and the pings on the same course same day.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I did the free true spec fitting last year. I will pay for that experience next time just awesome. But went through probably 9-10 different clubs the 790s were as soon as I swung them...it. Just knew felt it right away. Perk is being the same lofts as my previous set too. 
did they say why the grill marks?

Just a rant on here on release day.

When you know, you know. I’m sure I could play just as bad with a SSSSSSGI set or a 1980 Set of Noelrthwesterns.

My game will be when I get back out there.

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

As long as you have them before we go to NH! I’m really interested to see your game with those and the pings on the same course same day.

I’m gonna be hitting 320 balls in a day lol 2 balls 2 clubs per hole 😂 jk I’m not gonna put everyone through that....or am I?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Just a rant on here on release day.

When you know, you know. I’m sure I could play just as bad with a SSSSSSGI set or a 1980 Set of Noelrthwesterns.

My game will be when I get back out there.

Yeah it’s been a rough few rounds so far. Some good shots too but I definitely am struggling to find the bottom of swing consistently. Downside of not hitting balls for a few months but still swinging outside. Surprisingly I’ve been ok directionally. Not too many big curving balls.

I’m gonna be hitting 320 balls in a day lol 2 balls 2 clubs per hole jk I’m not gonna put everyone through that....or am I?

Haha ok. I’ll put you in the second group then.

Wow that video was awesome. So much goes into making those clubs. Very interesting stuff about face closure. Explains why I feel more consistent with my swing with smaller profile clubs.

Man I should have studied engineering and physics.

Yeah, also adds to why Rickie likes credit card sized clubheads perhaps?

Yeah, also adds to why Rickie likes credit card sized clubheads perhaps?

Maybe he’s on to something.

But credit card sized is being generous unless you only mean the top line. Can he even miss by more than a half ball without missing the face completely?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

But credit card sized is being generous unless you only mean the top line. Can he even miss by more than a half ball without missing the face completely?

Yea about that.....I would be worried about cutting a ball in half0385C3E3-B222-4647-81EC-2482EF8602EB.thumb.png.5a65ef110c2a2609318691ae8b9d5322.png

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Makes you wonder... do these actually give him the best opportunity to play his best.

Obviously an elite player... but hey Tom Morris would love those things

Makes you wonder... do these actually give him the best opportunity to play his best.

Obviously an elite player... but hey Tom Morris would love those things

I cannot imagine playing something like that, when you pure it does it even feel good? I have personally never hit a blade other then some wedges so. 
also wouldn’t you want even the slightest forgiveness? Even a little? Like you said the blueprints were fairly forgiving for a blade, these things just look rough

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I cannot imagine playing something like that, when you pure it does it even feel good? I have personally never hit a blade other then some wedges so. 
also wouldn’t you want even the slightest forgiveness? Even a little? Like you said the blueprints were fairly forgiving for a blade, these things just look rough

I actually prefer the feeling of a pured CB.

More specifically the Mizuno MMC... 18’ version.

The Blueprints are pretty smooth for sure, but I like that hot off the face feeling.

Waiting patiently for @Shanksterto realize the BP's are simply too much club for him and see them in our classifieds 🤣.  As for the video, I'd really like to see some actual ball strike zone data comparing a scratch (pure striker), with a low and mid handicap players.  of particular interest is the data on a scratch/pure stiker. Not doubting the premise, but when I think about the rather small size of my PE2's to the  G410's (yes hard to believe), I often wonder if they forced me to be a more accurate ball striker - and that the improved dispersion and distance I see is just the technology and more aggressive loft. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)