Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Controversial - PING: BLADES dont make you a better ball striker. Smaller sweet spots do.

El Chivo

Waiting patiently for [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention]to realize the BP's are simply too much club for him and see them in our classifieds 🤣.  As for the video, I'd really like to see some actual ball strike zone data comparing a scratch (pure striker), with a low and mid handicap players.  of particular interest is the data on a scratch/pure stiker. Not doubting the premise, but when I think about the rather small size of my PE2's to the  G410's (yes hard to believe), I often wonder if they forced me to be a more accurate ball striker - and that the improved dispersion and distance I see is just the technology and more aggressive loft. 

As promised, I will be holding on to the Blueprints. Or if I change sets have to find someone on here that won’t pawn them...

Here I am again standing in my room looking at the beauties.... IMG_7774.JPG

yes rickys clubs are small but remember the mass is big in that molecule of a sweet spot. So a pure hit would be as close to ecstasy one could achieve with their clothes on.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 5/30/2020 at 7:01 AM, Lacassem said:

Yea about that.....I would be worried about cutting a ball in half0385C3E3-B222-4647-81EC-2482EF8602EB.thumb.png.5a65ef110c2a2609318691ae8b9d5322.png

Looks like my old 2i... 

IMG_4356.jpg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

I think it's pretty logical.  Just think about the tour striker or similar training aides, they aren't doing anything revolutionary, just forcing you to compress the ball and hit the sweet spot. Blades are essentially making you do the same thing, just figure out how to hit the ball in the sweet spot more often.  The key as always is practice, you can't buy blades play once a month (or use a training aide once a month) and think your ball striking will just get better over time.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Just hit a 7, PW and driver out in the yard...

I need to go play. It’s all just... working?

Nope... why is it that I can center the ball with deadly accuracy one day. Thin the crap out of them the next, fat them the day after that, hook them the next, slice the day after tomorrow. Then smack the toe constantly another day?

Or maybe that was all today... golf club just felt weird in my hands.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, El Chivo said:

What are your thoughts on this? Not sure if this has been published but PING conducted a study that good/great ballstrikers reduced their offline yardage closer to the centerline the smalle the blade length/smaller the sweet spots. 

Any truth to this? IMO I have seen a noted improvement from shovels to players cbs....I want to move into mbs....they just feel great and I can trap the ball better.

Ran into this a couple weeks ago when I got fitted for new irons.  Started with PING G410s and I was all over the place...moved into i210 and i500 and hit the ball much more consistently.  My fitter said that he had noticed that as well...or he heard it from the PING guy and said he noticed it. 😀

:callaway-small: FT9 9° Driver, 3 & 5 wood

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW 2° flat, Project X 6.0

:mizuno-small: T20 54° & 58° wedges, 2° flat, project X 6.0

:ping-small: Pal2 putter

:titelist-small: ProV1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 4:06 PM, Chuckster said:

Ran into this a couple weeks ago when I got fitted for new irons.  Started with PING G410s and I was all over the place...moved into i210 and i500 and hit the ball much more consistently.  My fitter said that he had noticed that as well...or he heard it from the PING guy and said he noticed it. 😀

I wonder if there is a mental aspect. I have MP15s and titleist AP2, and an old set of nike vr cavities and I hit far more greens with the mizunos than the Ap2s and cavities. To me when I have a more bladed iron, I feel more like a surgeon and with a bigger thicker iron I feel like a butcher. 

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

On 5/30/2020 at 8:11 AM, Shankster said:

As promised, I will be holding on to the Blueprints. Or if I change sets have to find someone on here that won’t pawn them...

Here I am again standing in my room looking at the beauties.... IMG_7774.JPG

Those are some pretty looking clubs. I have a set of iBlades presently. Can't believe they are already 4 years old! 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

On 5/30/2020 at 9:11 AM, Shankster said:

Or if I change sets have to find someone on here that won’t pawn them...

That would be me... dibbs. 😇

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/30/2020 at 8:01 AM, Lacassem said:

Yea about that.....I would be worried about cutting a ball in half0385C3E3-B222-4647-81EC-2482EF8602EB.thumb.png.5a65ef110c2a2609318691ae8b9d5322.png

That iron has an MOI of a flyswatter.  Please don't tell me the pendulum is swinging back to "how small can we make it" 🤣.  

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That iron has an MOI of a flyswatter.  Please don't tell me the pendulum is swinging back to "how small can we make it" 🤣.  

It’s getting to that! Luckily the science now covers everything but those are just unnecessary lol

there is a reason they make bug zappers....efficiency 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

It’s getting to that! Luckily the science now covers everything but those are just unnecessary lol

I test hit the Blueprints this past winter in Yuma.  Love those sticks, they are gorgeous. They clearly showed my limitations.  I hit about 30% of my shots really well with them but with no distance benefit to the i500's - which I hit about 80% well.  I'd love to have a set to work with and see if I could master but...