Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Best ball for someone breaking 100

pasta

Hello everyone,

I have been playing callaway chrome soft for quite some time. I have tried other balls here and there, such as pro v1, bridgestone e6 and tour 330, maxfli tour, and just recently the supersoft from callaway.  This is from the time i started playing 5 years ago up until last weekend. 

I love the way the chrome soft feel on a well hit shot and it was ok on mishits. The supersoft was less erratic and i will find out this weekend more about the distance. 

Im not even remotely close to a scratch golfer, but i figure straighter is better and should result in lower scoring. Im hoping the supersoft keeps going straight and i dont lose too much distance and control around the greens.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or any experience?

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

im currently in the market for a driver stiff flex

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

When I was starting out, it was all 2-piece balls with surlyn covers (read: cheap). For folks who are shooting north of 80, I would generally recommend a mid-tier ball like the Bridgestone e6 (or e12). As you improve you'll still get workability with the ball but you won't be shelling out $45/dz for performance you won't really be able to take advantage of yet.

Or put a different way: find a ball you like the feel of and as your scores come down and your swing is more consistent, you'll start dialing in what you wished your ball could do (lower flight, more half-wedge spin, etc)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour

Ball: ProV1x Left Dash, Chromesoft X LS
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Hello everyone,

I have been playing callaway chrome soft for quite some time. I have tried other balls here and there, such as pro v1, bridgestone e6 and tour 330, maxfli tour, and just recently the supersoft from callaway.  This is from the time i started playing 5 years ago up until last weekend. 

I love the way the chrome soft feel on a well hit shot and it was ok on mishits. The supersoft was less erratic and i will find out this weekend more about the distance. 

Im not even remotely close to a scratch golfer, but i figure straighter is better and should result in lower scoring. Im hoping the supersoft keeps going straight and i dont lose too much distance and control around the greens.

Take a look at last year’s Ball Test here on My Golf Spy. Also, TXG recently did a video where they shared that higher handicaps actually gained four strokes PER 9 HOLES when they went to a premium ball vs lesser balls. All strokes were gained around the green.
Feel is nice, but after reading the Ball Test results, you’ll learn about inconsistencies in construction of the balls, and that “soft is slow-er”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

9 minutes ago, greggarner said:

When I was starting out, it was all 2-piece balls with surlyn covers (read: cheap). For folks who are shooting north of 80, I would generally recommend a mid-tier ball like the Bridgestone e6 (or e12). As you improve you'll still get workability with the ball but you won't be shelling out $45/dz for performance you won't really be able to take advantage of yet.

Or put a different way: find a ball you like the feel of and as your scores come down and your swing is more consistent, you'll start dialing in what you wished your ball could do (lower flight, more half-wedge spin, etc)

The chromesoft gets expensive on courses with lots of black holes of water. So i played 9 holes with a supersoft and it felt good, im going to play 2 rounds with them this weekend and see what happens. Thank you for your advice, looks like im going in the right direction.

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

2 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Take a look at last year’s Ball Test here on My Golf Spy. Also, TXG recently did a video where they shared that higher handicaps actually gained four strokes PER 9 HOLES when they went to a premium ball vs lesser balls. All strokes were gained around the green.
Feel is nice, but after reading the Ball Test results, you’ll learn about inconsistencies in construction of the balls, and that “soft is slow-er”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i have read the ball test,  thats actually how i started with journey mygolfspy! And that is why i tried a couple of the balls on the list, but i didnt like the feel and also it felt like i was all over the place thats why i came back to the chrome soft. 

I dont care about distance right now, im not even playing a driver in my bag.  Im looking for consistancy and being straight. I figure the distance will come in time.

I also watch txg almost every video they come out with for the past 2 months.  I like what they do but and i will keep watching but i think they are on a different level that i am at but i do like the information. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

I am a Chrome Soft X fan but Snell is my ball of choice at the moment. With that stated, I have recommended and witnessed my junior golfer son and other newbies / higher handicappers that  are using the Snell Get Sum model ball and love it. (  https://www.snellgolf.com/products/get-sum ). Link should provide you details regarding the ball specs and additional information. The price is very economical for a well made ball. Just about all brands of balls today have good models at differing price points. I do know several that are playing the Callaway Super Soft too. 

8 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I am a Chrome Soft X fan but Snell is my ball of choice at the moment. With that stated, I have recommended and witnessed my junior golfer son and other newbies / higher handicappers that  are using the Snell Get Sum model ball and love it. (  https://www.snellgolf.com/products/get-sum ). Link should provide you details regarding the ball specs and additional information. The price is very economical for a well made ball. Just about all brands of balls today have good models at differing price points. I do know several that are playing the Callaway Super Soft too. 

I have bookmarked that website and i will check it out and give them a go once i run out of the supersoft from callaway.

Thank you very much for the input and advice.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

Two questions: how fast do you swing and how many balls do you lose per round? I played the best ball I could afford to lose, my first couple of years playing it was not uncommon for a dozen balls to last only 2 or 3 rounds max. So I played Wilson duo’s until I switched to chromesoft after breaking 100

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Try Kirkland Signature 3 Piece if you have a Costco close by. $1 a ball with a Urethane Cover is cheap and in general they are pretty good. If you have a high swing speed and hit down on your short irons, then you will get allot of spin and will mark the ball. Only downside in this review is reduced driver distance and durability. However my guess is that is you do not swing at 100+mph then the distance off a driver will be minimal and like me there is a good chance you will loose it before it get too badly damaged. Plus at $1 US - $1.75AUD who cares if you have to grab a new ball every round. In my case the only issue is the amount of back spin I can generate with these balls, I an just having to allow for it or try to limit it.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Hello everyone,

There's quite a bit of information on this topic so you might want to do some forum research. It wasn't too long ago that I consistently played over 100 and lined the bottoms of our water hazards with new golf balls. Starting out I use to buy Slazenger by the dozens at Dicks and lose them just as fast. As I improved and coincidently stopped losing so many balls, I started asking the same question you are.

My instructor at the time suggested I pick my ball based on performance on the green and work backwards; putter, wedges, etc. additionally my fitter last year suggested I use a premium ball like PRO V 1X because it is a higher launch ball and has the green performance I was looking for. Typically not a ball you'd see recommended for a slower swinger (low 80's) like me. But it works great. Of course I don't lose many balls today so I don't mind paying the prices.

I don't have a specific ball recommendation for you but would suggest you try different balls using the 'green backwards' approach. Most pro shops will sell balls by the sleeve so you don't have to buy them by the doz to try.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 5/30/2020 at 6:14 PM, Micah T said:

Two questions: how fast do you swing and how many balls do you lose per round? I played the best ball I could afford to lose, my first couple of years playing it was not uncommon for a dozen balls to last only 2 or 3 rounds max. So I played Wilson duo’s until I switched to chromesoft after breaking 100

As for swing speed, im not sure because i dont use a driver.  But if i had to go based off this chart, i would be between 100-110. And as for lost balls, it depends on the course and how hot it is, both things affect it for me.   I have played 18 holes with 3 balls or 15 (really bad day lots of water). I have been playing in florida since beginning of april and i have progressivley shooting worse. I think its due to the heat and flooded golf courses. I played supersoft this weekend and had some great shots but around the greens im a little off from what i ised to do with chrome soft.

Screenshot_20200531-174237_Instagram.jpg

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

22 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

There's quite a bit of information on this topic so you might want to do some forum research. It wasn't too long ago that I consistently played over 100 and lined the bottoms of our water hazards with new golf balls. Starting out I use to buy Slazenger by the dozens at Dicks and lose them just as fast. As I improved and coincidently stopped losing so many balls, I started asking the same question you are.

My instructor at the time suggested I pick my ball based on performance on the green and work backwards; putter, wedges, etc. additionally my fitter last year suggested I use a premium ball like PRO V 1X because it is a higher launch ball and has the green performance I was looking for. Typically not a ball you'd see recommended for a slower swinger (low 80's) like me. But it works great. Of course I don't lose many balls today so I don't mind paying the prices.

I don't have a specific ball recommendation for you but would suggest you try different balls using the 'green backwards' approach. Most pro shops will sell balls by the sleeve so you don't have to buy them by the doz to try.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

i understand what you are saying completely  anout green backwards approach. And i was more consistent with chrome soft but i just started playing supersoft so i know i have to figure out how they work on the green. I swing pretty fast and have great distance but sometimes spin is my worst enemy withbthe premium balls.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

I 2nd the Costco K sigs if you have a membership or know someone with a one. You will pay a price of a low-end junk ball but get all of the performance of a mid-high performance ball. It's a ball that you can afford to lose or blade the cover off of. As you progress, will see and feel the performance that a mid to lower handicapper can pull from the ball.

I currently play around 8. As a regular golfer on a tighter budget, I really like the performance and durability from TM Tour Response (previously Project (a)). It's a 3 piece urethane with a lower compression core BUT doesn't feel like a marshmallow and magically gets amazing distance with a laser straight flight when I'm hitting well.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I 2nd the Costco K sigs if you have a membership or know someone with a one. You will pay a price of a low-end junk ball but get all of the performance of a mid-high performance ball. It's a ball that you can afford to lose or blade the cover off of. As you progress, will see and feel the performance that a mid to lower handicapper can pull from the ball.

I currently play around 8. As a regular golfer on a tighter budget, I really like the performance and durability from TM Tour Response (previously Project (a)). It's a 3 piece urethane with a lower compression core BUT doesn't feel like a marshmallow and magically gets amazing distance with a laser straight flight when I'm hitting well.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Ok it looks like kirkland might be a way to go....but didnt they say, those are not as good as they used to be?

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

I play the Srixon Z-Star ball. It's a tour level ball, but I can get them for $20 a dozen for the prior generation balls. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I play the Srixon Z-Star ball. It's a tour level ball, but I can get them for $20 a dozen for the prior generation balls. 

I never know what to tgink about prior gen balls and overruns....but ill look into that i was getting chrome soft 2 years prior for like $25 a dozen.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

I personally choose my ball based on the amount lost. I'll start the round with premium balls, but if my swing is off and I've lost 3 balls in the first couple of holes I'll switch to a cheaper distance ball just to finish the round.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

i have read the ball test,  thats actually how i started with journey mygolfspy! And that is why i tried a couple of the balls on the list, but i didnt like the feel and also it felt like i was all over the place thats why i came back to the chrome soft. 
I dont care about distance right now, im not even playing a driver in my bag.  Im looking for consistancy and being straight. I figure the distance will come in time.
I also watch txg almost every video they come out with for the past 2 months.  I like what they do but and i will keep watching but i think they are on a different level that i am at but i do like the information. 
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ok, if you want consistency, and straight, I’d suggest looking at something other than Chrome Soft... Of all the things that came out in the Ball Test, the inconsistent production of the cores in Chrome Softs was a problem. Shots went way offline, when other balls didn’t. After reading a couple posts here, I would gather that performance isn’t your number one decision maker, it’s the feel of the ball. Understand that a ball can feel great, but not be the best performer for you. I would say again that amateurs gained NINE shots when using “tour caliber” balls, but in the end, if feel is all you want, then you have many, many options, just don’t look for additional gains in performance that would actually improve your scoring.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I never know what to tgink about prior gen balls and overruns....but ill look into that i was getting chrome soft 2 years prior for like $25 a dozen.

Srixon z stars hold their line very well in wind and perform very consistently. Amazon is offering prior gen zstars and zstar XV s for $27 the only difference in the zstar 5 and the brand new 6s is Serm technology. For $13 off this might be one of the best deals on a premium ball that also performed very well in the MGS test. On another note if you haven’t tried the Maxfli tour x you’re missing out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I shoot low 90's on average. I do tend to lose a lot of balls, so my closet is filled with balls I've picked up on sale or previous gen - Wilson/Staff Duo, Srixon Q-Star Tour, etc. I've been a fan of the softer balls and since they come in fairly inexpensively, I don't stress when I lose one.

Last season I was playing and I lost a few right out of the gate, it was one of "those rounds". Just for the heck of it, I grabbed a premium ball (I want to say it was a TP5x maybe? That or an older B330 RX) and my shots were suddenly going a lot straighter and there was definitely more consistency especially around the green. So early on in the season, like right now LOL, I'll play less expensive 2 or 3 piece balls but once the winter rust is off I'll be switching to a premium ball once I know I won't be losing one on every other hole. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

14 hours ago, pasta said:

Again, this is one of those bits to add into the equation of high-handicap vs low-handicap & What you're paying for vs what you're getting back. Golf equipment has about a 5+ year relevancy rate. Especially when you begin going down the "better player" rabbit hole of CB's and blades, you're probably looking at 8+ years. Most everything made within the last 5 years is going to be as relevant performance-wise as what we can find on the shelves today. Sure they're all advertising the opposite.. but that's how advertising works. There are some exceptions but they're extremely limited. Every so often a club company actually comes up with something that does make a proven difference but not as often as we're lead to believe.  Maybe golf balls can be tightened to 3 years because relatively speaking, they are able to do a little more, and more often due to the lower cost to produce. How do I know this personally? I'm what you might call a gear rat. I spend probably more time at PGATSS hitting and comparing the newest equipment than one should probably feel comfortable admitting. I play a 4  year old set of irons, a 3 year old driver, a 5 year old 3 wood and I'm yet to find anything that makes me say "wow! I need to have this because it will make my game that much better". You can find published articles on the subject but I trust my own experience on this matter. 

Additionally, golf balls that fall within said 3 year category don't really have a shelf life.. unless that shelf happens to be the bottom of a lake or in my 130* garage here in Arizona. @dlow206 suggested the prior gen Z-star for $20. Even 3 gen's ago Z stars are incredible balls that will give you everything that you need out of a ball. I don't mean to say this in any way to be offensive or condescending but as a higher handicap golfer, you just won't be getting all of the performance out of a "tour rated" ball from the past 3 years that will make a difference in what you're trying to accomplish. If you can find the following: urethane cover, 3+ piece construction, sub $30 price point, 50+ compression, within the prior 3 years.. you're getting a ball that will easily carry you into the lower teens and even single digits without breaking the bank.

Eventually when you're at the point when you are looking at how many rounds you can get out of a single ball, paying the $40-$50 price tag will be much more sensible. 

To answer your question about the Costco K-sigs: I believe the 2019 ball was the one with the cover issues. 2020 supposedly they've resolved that. 2017's are probably nowhere to be found as this was the model that lead to the lawsuit with Titleist and 2018 were really good. Hopefully I'm not off with the years. 

Good luck! Will be interested to see what you decide on 🙂 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 6/1/2020 at 11:36 AM, azstu324 said:

Again, this is one of those bits to add into the equation of high-handicap vs low-handicap & What you're paying for vs what you're getting back. Golf equipment has about a 5+ year relevancy rate. Especially when you begin going down the "better player" rabbit hole of CB's and blades, you're probably looking at 8+ years. Most everything made within the last 5 years is going to be as relevant performance-wise as what we can find on the shelves today. Sure they're all advertising the opposite.. but that's how advertising works. There are some exceptions but they're extremely limited. Every so often a club company actually comes up with something that does make a proven difference but not as often as we're lead to believe.  Maybe golf balls can be tightened to 3 years because relatively speaking, they are able to do a little more, and more often due to the lower cost to produce. How do I know this personally? I'm what you might call a gear rat. I spend probably more time at PGATSS hitting and comparing the newest equipment than one should probably feel comfortable admitting. I play a 4  year old set of irons, a 3 year old driver, a 5 year old 3 wood and I'm yet to find anything that makes me say "wow! I need to have this because it will make my game that much better". You can find published articles on the subject but I trust my own experience on this matter. 

Additionally, golf balls that fall within said 3 year category don't really have a shelf life.. unless that shelf happens to be the bottom of a lake or in my 130* garage here in Arizona. @dlow206 suggested the prior gen Z-star for $20. Even 3 gen's ago Z stars are incredible balls that will give you everything that you need out of a ball. I don't mean to say this in any way to be offensive or condescending but as a higher handicap golfer, you just won't be getting all of the performance out of a "tour rated" ball from the past 3 years that will make a difference in what you're trying to accomplish. If you can find the following: urethane cover, 3+ piece construction, sub $30 price point, 50+ compression, within the prior 3 years.. you're getting a ball that will easily carry you into the lower teens and even single digits without breaking the bank.

Eventually when you're at the point when you are looking at how many rounds you can get out of a single ball, paying the $40-$50 price tag will be much more sensible. 

To answer your question about the Costco K-sigs: I believe the 2019 ball was the one with the cover issues. 2020 supposedly they've resolved that. 2017's are probably nowhere to be found as this was the model that lead to the lawsuit with Titleist and 2018 were really good. Hopefully I'm not off with the years. 

Good luck! Will be interested to see what you decide on 🙂 

Thank younso much for your input, incannot take offense because i am a high handicapper and that is why i am asking. My struglle withbthe game is off the tee and putting (i always feel rushed, but thats for another thread haha) i just want to hit straighter with my longer clubs. Around the green i have seen very little difference between balls because of the way i play the shots and the inconsistencies of yhe actual greens from course to course. I feel confident around the greens.  

I will definitely give the srixon a go. I did try maxfli, but they just didnt feel good off longer clubs which lowered my confidence.  I might pick up a sleeve of srixon and see how it goes, i am still on the fence about callaway supersoft but it was a little straighter than chromesoft.

I will let you know how it goes....thank uou again for your time.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

On 6/2/2020 at 8:59 PM, pasta said:

Thank younso much for your input, incannot take offense because i am a high handicapper and that is why i am asking. My struglle withbthe game is off the tee and putting (i always feel rushed, but thats for another thread haha) i just want to hit straighter with my longer clubs. Around the green i have seen very little difference between balls because of the way i play the shots and the inconsistencies of yhe actual greens from course to course. I feel confident around the greens.  

I will definitely give the srixon a go. I did try maxfli, but they just didnt feel good off longer clubs which lowered my confidence.  I might pick up a sleeve of srixon and see how it goes, i am still on the fence about callaway supersoft but it was a little straighter than chromesoft.

I will let you know how it goes....thank uou again for your time.

Try Srixon QST 2 - prior gen on sale or Hammer Control 3 for 30, 15 ball packs at Dicks..

Edited by NC Golfer

Ok so played this weekend with predominantly callaways supersoft.  They feel good fly pretty well, i lost a little distance. 

But i joined golfpass+ and finally got my free dozen golf balls....taylormade tour response....anyone have any experience with these? I only played one sleeve but they felt great and i gained a good amount of distance over the supersoft.  I have 3 more sleeves, and a couple more rounds before i leave florida...they might be a winner ill keep you posted.

I still would like to hear if anyone one has experience with the tour response ball, im hoping it wasnt just a good day of ball striking...hahaha

Edited by pasta
typo

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

38 minutes ago, pasta said:

Ok so played this weekend with predominantly callaways supersoft.  They feel good fly pretty well, i lost a little distance. 

But i joined golfpass+ and finally got my free dozen golf balls....taylormade tour response....anyone have any experience with these? I only played one sleeve but they felt great and i gained a good amount of distance over the supersoft.  I have 3 more sleeves, and a couple more rounds before i leave florida...they might be a winner ill keep you posted.

I still would like to hear if anyone one has experience with the tour response ball, im hoping it wasnt just a good day of ball striking...hahaha

The Tour Response balls are fine. However, I wouldn't pay full price for them at $34 a dozen when I can get the Srixons at $20. However, Taylormade gave me some for free when they missed up a club order, so I have used them before.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Id say that if youre someone who is shooting right around 100, a midrange ball is probably best because it still gives you good shortgame feel but isnt so expensive that you'll mind losing one.

I personally wouldnt play a tour ball like the Chrome Soft or Pro V1 because youre simply not precise enough at ball striking to get the most out of it and you'll be angry when you lose one because theyre so expensive.

You may give up some spin around the greens with a midrange ball but it shouldnt be so much that it will make all that much of a difference and the ball should still have enough feel that you can putt and chip with it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

When I got into golf a few years back I saw an article on this topic from a golf blogger/YouTuber called golf sidekick. He recommended the Srixon Soft Feel which I played until I started breaking 90. For me the Soft Feel was a good ball off the tee, it won’t rip back on greens, but I had no problem checking that ball up. If you shop deals you can get them around $1.5/ ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

On 5/31/2020 at 7:26 PM, dlow206 said:

I am about to buy some of this years srixon zstar, BOGO from srixon.  I will try them out and let you know what i find.

Here is the link:https://www.srixon.com/us/balls/golf-balls/z-star-golf-balls/MZSTAR18.html

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/29/2020 at 7:13 PM, pasta said:

The chromesoft gets expensive on courses with lots of black holes of water. So i played 9 holes with a supersoft and it felt good, im going to play 2 rounds with them this weekend and see what happens. Thank you for your advice, looks like im going in the right direction.

If you don't lose any balls then premium golf balls are the way to go no matter what you shoot. 

I second other comments on mid-tier if you tend to lose a few here and there. 

My favorite mid tier ball is the Taylormade Project (a). It is a 3 piece urethane ball = awesome. 

Other balls to consider are the Kirkland Performance + and Srixon Q Star (in that order). 

If you lose a lot of balls then you can play cheap balls on the holes you tend to lose a lot of balls on. 

I have tried all varieties of balls because I play what I find. I just happen to find hundreds at a time so, I like playing premium balls. 

The biggest difference I find it 50 yds and in where premium balls perform the best because of tour sauce (backspin). 

If you are just playing for fun then switch your ball to a better ball on your approach shots or when you are 50 yards and in to test it out. 

3 hours ago, TimoTe said:

If you don't lose any balls then premium golf balls are the way to go no matter what you shoot. 

I second other comments on mid-tier if you tend to lose a few here and there. 

My favorite mid tier ball is the Taylormade Project (a). It is a 3 piece urethane ball = awesome. 

Other balls to consider are the Kirkland Performance + and Srixon Q Star (in that order). 

If you lose a lot of balls then you can play cheap balls on the holes you tend to lose a lot of balls on. 

I have tried all varieties of balls because I play what I find. I just happen to find hundreds at a time so, I like playing premium balls. 

The biggest difference I find it 50 yds and in where premium balls perform the best because of tour sauce (backspin). 

If you are just playing for fun then switch your ball to a better ball on your approach shots or when you are 50 yards and in to test it out. 

Thank you for the input! So far i have been using callaway super soft and taylormade tour response the past few weeks. I like the feel of them both,  tour response went a little further on certain shots and responded a little better around the greens.. I have ordered some srixon z star per a couple of guys in this thread saying for the money it is a great ball.  I will test them put in a couple of weeks as i will be traveling.  I will keep you posted, and if i ever can get my hands on kirkland balls i will try them as well.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg