TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best ball for someone breaking 100

pasta

On 6/10/2020 at 4:11 PM, pasta said:

I am about to buy some of this years srixon zstar, BOGO from srixon.  I will try them out and let you know what i find.

Here is the link:https://www.srixon.com/us/balls/golf-balls/z-star-golf-balls/MZSTAR18.html

Yes, go for the Srixon BOGO you won't be sorry. If you like a soft ball. But, not supersoft, I'd say Soft Feel. The QST sits in the middle and the Zstar is the firmest. Z star and QST offers greenside spin. All are good. Comes down to your personal preferences. Haven't played the Tour Response. But, it should play similar to QST. 

Edited by NC Golfer

• Guests
Guest Delete
8 hours ago, pasta said:

Thank you for the input! So far i have been using callaway super soft and taylormade tour response the past few weeks. I like the feel of them both,  tour response went a little further on certain shots and responded a little better around the greens.. I have ordered some srixon z star per a couple of guys in this thread saying for the money it is a great ball.  I will test them put in a couple of weeks as i will be traveling.  I will keep you posted, and if i ever can get my hands on kirkland balls i will try them as well.

I find the Z star to be a very good spinning ball for stopping one the greens. I think they don't go as far as a Pro V1x but they are awesome for all else

My recommendation for someone struggling to break 100 is to look at where you are giving up strokes. Often times, the culprit is penalties and if you're losing golf balls in the woods or sacrificing them to the water gods, I'd say stick to a cheap 2-piece ball that you like. Shouldn't really matter too much what it is as long as it isn't a complete dud. Maybe you're a half-decent ball striker, but struggle to hit the green and have an atrocious short game or really struggle with the putter. You could probably do okay with a more expensive ball and it may even help with some of your misses (based on MGS ball studies). I'd still shy away from the added expense of tour balls for the time being, but you could certainly opt for something closer to the $30 mark.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 6/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, pasta said:

I am about to buy some of this years srixon zstar, BOGO from srixon.  I will try them out and let you know what i find.

Here is the link:https://www.srixon.com/us/balls/golf-balls/z-star-golf-balls/MZSTAR18.html

I would save the money and skip the Z stars, that extra spin and harder ball is just making your crooked shots curve more off line. The Q Star Tour would be the highest I would go if you must have urethane. As someone who used to be in your shoes - I would go with the Srixon 2 piece distance balls. I think my first time breaking 90 was with Nike PD Softs and Bridgestone e6. Until you start hitting 6 GIR and need higher spin for stopping power (or just play really hard, fast greens), or you rely on low spinning pitches to check up on greens save the money on urethane balls which wear out faster than cheap ones. It's much easier to play bump and runs and get used to roll out then trying to figure how much the ball will bite with inconsistent contact. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Or just get $1 used balls from your local FB guy or from LostGolfBalls. Was scanning the thread to see if anyone mentioned this but since nobody did I will be the first to say that I get my premium balls at $1 each from a local guy and have no issues with them. I shoot low 90's with used balls. I play Chrome Softs but slowly switching over to TP5's due to the off-center core issue. Might need to cut a few up and check for myself. 

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

On 6/14/2020 at 9:18 PM, NC Golfer said:

Yes, go for the Srixon BOGO you won't be sorry. If you like a soft ball. But, not supersoft, I'd say Soft Feel. The QST sits in the middle and the Zstar is the firmest. Z star and QST offers greenside spin. All are good. Comes down to your personal preferences. Haven't played the Tour Response. But, it should play similar to QST. 

With the BOGO, the Z star is $20 a dozen and the Q Star Tour a couple of dollars less a dozen.  In either case, you get an excellent golf ball with a urethane cover (better around greens) for a price where it does not really matter (other than pride and score) if you lose a couple a round.  I like the Q Star Tour much better than the Supersoft.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

I have been looking for a go to ball this season. I have tried numerous balls over the last year or so including Cut Grey, Cut Matte, Bridgestone e12, Callaway Hex Bite and a couple of others. I received 2 - 2 packs of the ERC Soft when I bought my new Mavrik Driver. I loved these balls and the way they jumped off my irons. I really like the Triple Track as well. Unfortunately, they are pricey and I lose too many balls to justify buying these. I bought some Supersofts and they seem to have similar performance. I think I am going to run with these for awhile. I also received some Oncore Avants as a gift and I have only played a couple of holes with them, so the jury is still out on them.  

:callaway-small: Mavrik 9 Degree

image.png.ee19b0f17da7a45faaa30e114f86e3c9.png  Mavrik 4 Wood

image.png.cdd20ffc100c65049392af87e0ae3e49.png  Mavrik 3 Hybrid

image.png.5e6ae6d961fc0d5a2a4e5185f0e0c918.png  Mavrik 4 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: CBX 52 Degree

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole S

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5

Really depends on your swing speed and ball budget. My wallet and clubs seem to be digging the Snell MTB-X lately. Great feel around the greens and I get the same amount of distance as I was getting with the PRO V1s. My swing speed is 105-108. Plus you can order them directly. There’s a good review and video of them on the website.  Happy hunting! 

JJ

Creative Director, Writer and Misfit who Mishits.

a. Iron specs (stiff, standard length/lie) Nike VRS Covert 2.0

b. Driver specs (9.5/ Stiff) Nike Vapor Speed

c. Dexterity (Righty)

d. Atlanta

e. 11 Handicap

The two best pieces of advise in this thread are from PMookie about determining your ball based around the green performance.   In that category there is nothing on par with the ProV lineup.  X or V

The other best advise is the ZStar BOGO.  The best combination of price and quality. 

And im sorry. Those that say you shouldn’t play a premium ball unless you’re breaking 80 or even 90 are just dead wrong.  That’s an old way of thinking before the modern balls came along jn 2001 with the ProV. 

As a person who shoots in the 90’s on 90% if my rounds and a swing speed of 88-90 i can tell you and have had it proven on course and trackman I absolutely do get the benefits of the ProV versus any other type of balll.  

if price is an issue for you, that’s certainly understandable.  Then the Snell MTB or OnCore Elixr will get you much better performance than any of the other balls you mentioned. 

But get the “soft” ball out if your thinking.  Especially at your swing speed.  Its of no benefit to you. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 6/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, PMookie said:

Ok, if you want consistency, and straight, I’d suggest looking at something other than Chrome Soft... Of all the things that came out in the Ball Test, the inconsistent production of the cores in Chrome Softs was a problem. Shots went way offline, when other balls didn’t. After reading a couple posts here, I would gather that performance isn’t your number one decision maker, it’s the feel of the ball. Understand that a ball can feel great, but not be the best performer for you. I would say again that amateurs gained NINE shots when using “tour caliber” balls, but in the end, if feel is all you want, then you have many, many options, just don’t look for additional gains in performance that would actually improve your scoring.

This right here. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 6/20/2020 at 9:29 AM, Iowa Hacker said:

I have been looking for a go to ball this season. I have tried numerous balls over the last year or so including Cut Grey, Cut Matte, Bridgestone e12, Callaway Hex Bite and a couple of others. I received 2 - 2 packs of the ERC Soft when I bought my new Mavrik Driver. I loved these balls and the way they jumped off my irons. I really like the Triple Track as well. Unfortunately, they are pricey and I lose too many balls to justify buying these. I bought some Supersofts and they seem to have similar performance. I think I am going to run with these for awhile. I also received some Oncore Avants as a gift and I have only played a couple of holes with them, so the jury is still out on them.  

I played the oncore avants for one round and didnt like them at all, there was just something off.  The supersofts have been good but i have the srixon z stars that im ready to try....ill see what happens when inget on the course.  How do you like your mavrik?

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

im currently in the market for a driver stiff flex

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

On 5/31/2020 at 6:32 PM, pasta said:

As for swing speed, im not sure because i dont use a driver.  But if i had to go based off this chart, i would be between 100-110. And as for lost balls, it depends on the course and how hot it is, both things affect it for me.   I have played 18 holes with 3 balls or 15 (really bad day lots of water). I have been playing in florida since beginning of april and i have progressivley shooting worse. I think its due to the heat and flooded golf courses. I played supersoft this weekend and had some great shots but around the greens im a little off from what i ised to do with chrome soft.

Screenshot_20200531-174237_Instagram.jpg

Pasta, Great Post!! Thanks for posting the Swing Speed Chart.   It helped me just realize I've lost almost 10mph swing speed, coming back from shoulder injury! Wow, it's not the clubs lol

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

You'll want to follow this thread to get the answer to your question. 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 months later...

Update: after trying many golf balls, i have settled in with the Srixon zstar....it is the best all around with low spin of the tee, more accuracy on fairways, plenty of spin off the wedges and a good roll and feel on the greens. I just want to thank everyone for there input....i appreciate it greatly!.....next up....getting fit for a driver....

Thank you all again!

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

im currently in the market for a driver stiff flex

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

I agree with those that suggested the kirklands. Hard to beat for the price and still a great performer at almost any level. I would also recommend the titleist toursoft. I first broke 100 with an NXT tour and that is the new equivalent. Its a good performer and you get titleist quality so you don't have to worry about bad balls.

I get most of my balls from lostgolfballs so they cost me almost nothing whether that's prov1 or tour softs.  

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length