Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Hello everyone,

I have been playing callaway chrome soft for quite some time. I have tried other balls here and there, such as pro v1, bridgestone e6 and tour 330, maxfli tour, and just recently the supersoft from callaway.  This is from the time i started playing 5 years ago up until last weekend. 

I love the way the chrome soft feel on a well hit shot and it was ok on mishits. The supersoft was less erratic and i will find out this weekend more about the distance. 

Im not even remotely close to a scratch golfer, but i figure straighter is better and should result in lower scoring. Im hoping the supersoft keeps going straight and i dont lose too much distance and control around the greens.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or any experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was starting out, it was all 2-piece balls with surlyn covers (read: cheap). For folks who are shooting north of 80, I would generally recommend a mid-tier ball like the Bridgestone e6 (or e12). As you improve you'll still get workability with the ball but you won't be shelling out $45/dz for performance you won't really be able to take advantage of yet.

Or put a different way: find a ball you like the feel of and as your scores come down and your swing is more consistent, you'll start dialing in what you wished your ball could do (lower flight, more half-wedge spin, etc)

  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

I have been playing callaway chrome soft for quite some time. I have tried other balls here and there, such as pro v1, bridgestone e6 and tour 330, maxfli tour, and just recently the supersoft from callaway.  This is from the time i started playing 5 years ago up until last weekend. 

I love the way the chrome soft feel on a well hit shot and it was ok on mishits. The supersoft was less erratic and i will find out this weekend more about the distance. 

Im not even remotely close to a scratch golfer, but i figure straighter is better and should result in lower scoring. Im hoping the supersoft keeps going straight and i dont lose too much distance and control around the greens.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or any experience?


Take a look at last year’s Ball Test here on My Golf Spy. Also, TXG recently did a video where they shared that higher handicaps actually gained four strokes PER 9 HOLES when they went to a premium ball vs lesser balls. All strokes were gained around the green.
Feel is nice, but after reading the Ball Test results, you’ll learn about inconsistencies in construction of the balls, and that “soft is slow-er”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, greggarner said:

When I was starting out, it was all 2-piece balls with surlyn covers (read: cheap). For folks who are shooting north of 80, I would generally recommend a mid-tier ball like the Bridgestone e6 (or e12). As you improve you'll still get workability with the ball but you won't be shelling out $45/dz for performance you won't really be able to take advantage of yet.

Or put a different way: find a ball you like the feel of and as your scores come down and your swing is more consistent, you'll start dialing in what you wished your ball could do (lower flight, more half-wedge spin, etc)

The chromesoft gets expensive on courses with lots of black holes of water. So i played 9 holes with a supersoft and it felt good, im going to play 2 rounds with them this weekend and see what happens. Thank you for your advice, looks like im going in the right direction.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PMookie said:


Take a look at last year’s Ball Test here on My Golf Spy. Also, TXG recently did a video where they shared that higher handicaps actually gained four strokes PER 9 HOLES when they went to a premium ball vs lesser balls. All strokes were gained around the green.
Feel is nice, but after reading the Ball Test results, you’ll learn about inconsistencies in construction of the balls, and that “soft is slow-er”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i have read the ball test,  thats actually how i started with journey mygolfspy! And that is why i tried a couple of the balls on the list, but i didnt like the feel and also it felt like i was all over the place thats why i came back to the chrome soft. 

I dont care about distance right now, im not even playing a driver in my bag.  Im looking for consistancy and being straight. I figure the distance will come in time.

I also watch txg almost every video they come out with for the past 2 months.  I like what they do but and i will keep watching but i think they are on a different level that i am at but i do like the information. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a Chrome Soft X fan but Snell is my ball of choice at the moment. With that stated, I have recommended and witnessed my junior golfer son and other newbies / higher handicappers that  are using the Snell Get Sum model ball and love it. (  https://www.snellgolf.com/products/get-sum ). Link should provide you details regarding the ball specs and additional information. The price is very economical for a well made ball. Just about all brands of balls today have good models at differing price points. I do know several that are playing the Callaway Super Soft too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I am a Chrome Soft X fan but Snell is my ball of choice at the moment. With that stated, I have recommended and witnessed my junior golfer son and other newbies / higher handicappers that  are using the Snell Get Sum model ball and love it. (  https://www.snellgolf.com/products/get-sum ). Link should provide you details regarding the ball specs and additional information. The price is very economical for a well made ball. Just about all brands of balls today have good models at differing price points. I do know several that are playing the Callaway Super Soft too. 

I have bookmarked that website and i will check it out and give them a go once i run out of the supersoft from callaway.

Thank you very much for the input and advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two questions: how fast do you swing and how many balls do you lose per round? I played the best ball I could afford to lose, my first couple of years playing it was not uncommon for a dozen balls to last only 2 or 3 rounds max. So I played Wilson duo’s until I switched to chromesoft after breaking 100

  • Like 2

 

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Kirkland Signature 3 Piece if you have a Costco close by. $1 a ball with a Urethane Cover is cheap and in general they are pretty good. If you have a high swing speed and hit down on your short irons, then you will get allot of spin and will mark the ball. Only downside in this review is reduced driver distance and durability. However my guess is that is you do not swing at 100+mph then the distance off a driver will be minimal and like me there is a good chance you will loose it before it get too badly damaged. Plus at $1 US - $1.75AUD who cares if you have to grab a new ball every round. In my case the only issue is the amount of back spin I can generate with these balls, I an just having to allow for it or try to limit it.

 

  • Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

I have been playing callaway chrome soft for quite some time. I have tried other balls here and there, such as pro v1, bridgestone e6 and tour 330, maxfli tour, and just recently the supersoft from callaway.  This is from the time i started playing 5 years ago up until last weekend. 

I love the way the chrome soft feel on a well hit shot and it was ok on mishits. The supersoft was less erratic and i will find out this weekend more about the distance. 

Im not even remotely close to a scratch golfer, but i figure straighter is better and should result in lower scoring. Im hoping the supersoft keeps going straight and i dont lose too much distance and control around the greens.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or any experience?


There's quite a bit of information on this topic so you might want to do some forum research. It wasn't too long ago that I consistently played over 100 and lined the bottoms of our water hazards with new golf balls. Starting out I use to buy Slazenger by the dozens at Dicks and lose them just as fast. As I improved and coincidently stopped losing so many balls, I started asking the same question you are.

My instructor at the time suggested I pick my ball based on performance on the green and work backwards; putter, wedges, etc. additionally my fitter last year suggested I use a premium ball like PRO V 1X because it is a higher launch ball and has the green performance I was looking for. Typically not a ball you'd see recommended for a slower swinger (low 80's) like me. But it works great. Of course I don't lose many balls today so I don't mind paying the prices.

I don't have a specific ball recommendation for you but would suggest you try different balls using the 'green backwards' approach. Most pro shops will sell balls by the sleeve so you don't have to buy them by the doz to try.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 6:14 PM, Micah T said:

Two questions: how fast do you swing and how many balls do you lose per round? I played the best ball I could afford to lose, my first couple of years playing it was not uncommon for a dozen balls to last only 2 or 3 rounds max. So I played Wilson duo’s until I switched to chromesoft after breaking 100

As for swing speed, im not sure because i dont use a driver.  But if i had to go based off this chart, i would be between 100-110. And as for lost balls, it depends on the course and how hot it is, both things affect it for me.   I have played 18 holes with 3 balls or 15 (really bad day lots of water). I have been playing in florida since beginning of april and i have progressivley shooting worse. I think its due to the heat and flooded golf courses. I played supersoft this weekend and had some great shots but around the greens im a little off from what i ised to do with chrome soft.

Screenshot_20200531-174237_Instagram.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tony@CIC said:


There's quite a bit of information on this topic so you might want to do some forum research. It wasn't too long ago that I consistently played over 100 and lined the bottoms of our water hazards with new golf balls. Starting out I use to buy Slazenger by the dozens at Dicks and lose them just as fast. As I improved and coincidently stopped losing so many balls, I started asking the same question you are.

My instructor at the time suggested I pick my ball based on performance on the green and work backwards; putter, wedges, etc. additionally my fitter last year suggested I use a premium ball like PRO V 1X because it is a higher launch ball and has the green performance I was looking for. Typically not a ball you'd see recommended for a slower swinger (low 80's) like me. But it works great. Of course I don't lose many balls today so I don't mind paying the prices.

I don't have a specific ball recommendation for you but would suggest you try different balls using the 'green backwards' approach. Most pro shops will sell balls by the sleeve so you don't have to buy them by the doz to try.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

i understand what you are saying completely  anout green backwards approach. And i was more consistent with chrome soft but i just started playing supersoft so i know i have to figure out how they work on the green. I swing pretty fast and have great distance but sometimes spin is my worst enemy withbthe premium balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 2nd the Costco K sigs if you have a membership or know someone with a one. You will pay a price of a low-end junk ball but get all of the performance of a mid-high performance ball. It's a ball that you can afford to lose or blade the cover off of. As you progress, will see and feel the performance that a mid to lower handicapper can pull from the ball.

I currently play around 8. As a regular golfer on a tighter budget, I really like the performance and durability from TM Tour Response (previously Project (a)). It's a 3 piece urethane with a lower compression core BUT doesn't feel like a marshmallow and magically gets amazing distance with a laser straight flight when I'm hitting well.



the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

  • Like 2

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) UST ProForce V2 Black (S+)
:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 4-GW 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW 56/12 Wedge
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach #11 Putter

Current MGS test group member for fuji.jpg.2882d9125b503e4cc01e98268c2c0366.jpgMotoreX.jpg.5d63086430ba328b6d69e9b545a11340.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I 2nd the Costco K sigs if you have a membership or know someone with a one. You will pay a price of a low-end junk ball but get all of the performance of a mid-high performance ball. It's a ball that you can afford to lose or blade the cover off of. As you progress, will see and feel the performance that a mid to lower handicapper can pull from the ball.

I currently play around 8. As a regular golfer on a tighter budget, I really like the performance and durability from TM Tour Response (previously Project (a)). It's a 3 piece urethane with a lower compression core BUT doesn't feel like a marshmallow and magically gets amazing distance with a laser straight flight when I'm hitting well.



the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..
 

Ok it looks like kirkland might be a way to go....but didnt they say, those are not as good as they used to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play the Srixon Z-Star ball. It's a tour level ball, but I can get them for $20 a dozen for the prior generation balls. 

  • Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I play the Srixon Z-Star ball. It's a tour level ball, but I can get them for $20 a dozen for the prior generation balls. 

I never know what to tgink about prior gen balls and overruns....but ill look into that i was getting chrome soft 2 years prior for like $25 a dozen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally choose my ball based on the amount lost. I'll start the round with premium balls, but if my swing is off and I've lost 3 balls in the first couple of holes I'll switch to a cheaper distance ball just to finish the round.

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i have read the ball test,  thats actually how i started with journey mygolfspy! And that is why i tried a couple of the balls on the list, but i didnt like the feel and also it felt like i was all over the place thats why i came back to the chrome soft. 
I dont care about distance right now, im not even playing a driver in my bag.  Im looking for consistancy and being straight. I figure the distance will come in time.
I also watch txg almost every video they come out with for the past 2 months.  I like what they do but and i will keep watching but i think they are on a different level that i am at but i do like the information. 
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ok, if you want consistency, and straight, I’d suggest looking at something other than Chrome Soft... Of all the things that came out in the Ball Test, the inconsistent production of the cores in Chrome Softs was a problem. Shots went way offline, when other balls didn’t. After reading a couple posts here, I would gather that performance isn’t your number one decision maker, it’s the feel of the ball. Understand that a ball can feel great, but not be the best performer for you. I would say again that amateurs gained NINE shots when using “tour caliber” balls, but in the end, if feel is all you want, then you have many, many options, just don’t look for additional gains in performance that would actually improve your scoring.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I never know what to tgink about prior gen balls and overruns....but ill look into that i was getting chrome soft 2 years prior for like $25 a dozen.

 

Srixon z stars hold their line very well in wind and perform very consistently. Amazon is offering prior gen zstars and zstar XV s for $27 the only difference in the zstar 5 and the brand new 6s is Serm technology. For $13 off this might be one of the best deals on a premium ball that also performed very well in the MGS test. On another note if you haven’t tried the Maxfli tour x you’re missing out.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Currently deciding between :Arccos:  and the :ShotScope:  V3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot low 90's on average. I do tend to lose a lot of balls, so my closet is filled with balls I've picked up on sale or previous gen - Wilson/Staff Duo, Srixon Q-Star Tour, etc. I've been a fan of the softer balls and since they come in fairly inexpensively, I don't stress when I lose one.

Last season I was playing and I lost a few right out of the gate, it was one of "those rounds". Just for the heck of it, I grabbed a premium ball (I want to say it was a TP5x maybe? That or an older B330 RX) and my shots were suddenly going a lot straighter and there was definitely more consistency especially around the green. So early on in the season, like right now LOL, I'll play less expensive 2 or 3 piece balls but once the winter rust is off I'll be switching to a premium ball once I know I won't be losing one on every other hole. 

  • Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...