Our Sponsors

14 hours ago, pasta said:

I never know what to tgink about prior gen balls and overruns....but ill look into that i was getting chrome soft 2 years prior for like $25 a dozen.

Again, this is one of those bits to add into the equation of high-handicap vs low-handicap & What you're paying for vs what you're getting back. Golf equipment has about a 5+ year relevancy rate. Especially when you begin going down the "better player" rabbit hole of CB's and blades, you're probably looking at 8+ years. Most everything made within the last 5 years is going to be as relevant performance-wise as what we can find on the shelves today. Sure they're all advertising the opposite.. but that's how advertising works. There are some exceptions but they're extremely limited. Every so often a club company actually comes up with something that does make a proven difference but not as often as we're lead to believe.  Maybe golf balls can be tightened to 3 years because relatively speaking, they are able to do a little more, and more often due to the lower cost to produce. How do I know this personally? I'm what you might call a gear rat. I spend probably more time at PGATSS hitting and comparing the newest equipment than one should probably feel comfortable admitting. I play a 4  year old set of irons, a 3 year old driver, a 5 year old 3 wood and I'm yet to find anything that makes me say "wow! I need to have this because it will make my game that much better". You can find published articles on the subject but I trust my own experience on this matter. 

Additionally, golf balls that fall within said 3 year category don't really have a shelf life.. unless that shelf happens to be the bottom of a lake or in my 130* garage here in Arizona. @dlow206 suggested the prior gen Z-star for $20. Even 3 gen's ago Z stars are incredible balls that will give you everything that you need out of a ball. I don't mean to say this in any way to be offensive or condescending but as a higher handicap golfer, you just won't be getting all of the performance out of a "tour rated" ball from the past 3 years that will make a difference in what you're trying to accomplish. If you can find the following: urethane cover, 3+ piece construction, sub $30 price point, 50+ compression, within the prior 3 years.. you're getting a ball that will easily carry you into the lower teens and even single digits without breaking the bank.

Eventually when you're at the point when you are looking at how many rounds you can get out of a single ball, paying the $40-$50 price tag will be much more sensible. 

To answer your question about the Costco K-sigs: I believe the 2019 ball was the one with the cover issues. 2020 supposedly they've resolved that. 2017's are probably nowhere to be found as this was the model that lead to the lawsuit with Titleist and 2018 were really good. Hopefully I'm not off with the years. 

Good luck! Will be interested to see what you decide on 🙂 

• Like 3

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) / UST ProForce V2 Black (S)

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Lamkin Sink Fit 

On 6/1/2020 at 11:36 AM, azstu324 said:

Again, this is one of those bits to add into the equation of high-handicap vs low-handicap & What you're paying for vs what you're getting back. Golf equipment has about a 5+ year relevancy rate. Especially when you begin going down the "better player" rabbit hole of CB's and blades, you're probably looking at 8+ years. Most everything made within the last 5 years is going to be as relevant performance-wise as what we can find on the shelves today. Sure they're all advertising the opposite.. but that's how advertising works. There are some exceptions but they're extremely limited. Every so often a club company actually comes up with something that does make a proven difference but not as often as we're lead to believe.  Maybe golf balls can be tightened to 3 years because relatively speaking, they are able to do a little more, and more often due to the lower cost to produce. How do I know this personally? I'm what you might call a gear rat. I spend probably more time at PGATSS hitting and comparing the newest equipment than one should probably feel comfortable admitting. I play a 4  year old set of irons, a 3 year old driver, a 5 year old 3 wood and I'm yet to find anything that makes me say "wow! I need to have this because it will make my game that much better". You can find published articles on the subject but I trust my own experience on this matter. 

Additionally, golf balls that fall within said 3 year category don't really have a shelf life.. unless that shelf happens to be the bottom of a lake or in my 130* garage here in Arizona. @dlow206 suggested the prior gen Z-star for $20. Even 3 gen's ago Z stars are incredible balls that will give you everything that you need out of a ball. I don't mean to say this in any way to be offensive or condescending but as a higher handicap golfer, you just won't be getting all of the performance out of a "tour rated" ball from the past 3 years that will make a difference in what you're trying to accomplish. If you can find the following: urethane cover, 3+ piece construction, sub $30 price point, 50+ compression, within the prior 3 years.. you're getting a ball that will easily carry you into the lower teens and even single digits without breaking the bank.

Eventually when you're at the point when you are looking at how many rounds you can get out of a single ball, paying the $40-$50 price tag will be much more sensible. 

To answer your question about the Costco K-sigs: I believe the 2019 ball was the one with the cover issues. 2020 supposedly they've resolved that. 2017's are probably nowhere to be found as this was the model that lead to the lawsuit with Titleist and 2018 were really good. Hopefully I'm not off with the years. 

Good luck! Will be interested to see what you decide on 🙂 

Thank younso much for your input, incannot take offense because i am a high handicapper and that is why i am asking. My struglle withbthe game is off the tee and putting (i always feel rushed, but thats for another thread haha) i just want to hit straighter with my longer clubs. Around the green i have seen very little difference between balls because of the way i play the shots and the inconsistencies of yhe actual greens from course to course. I feel confident around the greens.  

I will definitely give the srixon a go. I did try maxfli, but they just didnt feel good off longer clubs which lowered my confidence.  I might pick up a sleeve of srixon and see how it goes, i am still on the fence about callaway supersoft but it was a little straighter than chromesoft.

I will let you know how it goes....thank uou again for your time.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 8:59 PM, pasta said:

Thank younso much for your input, incannot take offense because i am a high handicapper and that is why i am asking. My struglle withbthe game is off the tee and putting (i always feel rushed, but thats for another thread haha) i just want to hit straighter with my longer clubs. Around the green i have seen very little difference between balls because of the way i play the shots and the inconsistencies of yhe actual greens from course to course. I feel confident around the greens.  

I will definitely give the srixon a go. I did try maxfli, but they just didnt feel good off longer clubs which lowered my confidence.  I might pick up a sleeve of srixon and see how it goes, i am still on the fence about callaway supersoft but it was a little straighter than chromesoft.

I will let you know how it goes....thank uou again for your time.

Try Srixon QST 2 - prior gen on sale or Hammer Control 3 for 30, 15 ball packs at Dicks..

Edited by NC Golfer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok so played this weekend with predominantly callaways supersoft.  They feel good fly pretty well, i lost a little distance. 

But i joined golfpass+ and finally got my free dozen golf balls....taylormade tour response....anyone have any experience with these? I only played one sleeve but they felt great and i gained a good amount of distance over the supersoft.  I have 3 more sleeves, and a couple more rounds before i leave florida...they might be a winner ill keep you posted.

I still would like to hear if anyone one has experience with the tour response ball, im hoping it wasnt just a good day of ball striking...hahaha

Edited by pasta
typo

38 minutes ago, pasta said:

Ok so played this weekend with predominantly callaways supersoft.  They feel good fly pretty well, i lost a little distance. 

But i joined golfpass+ and finally got my free dozen golf balls....taylormade tour response....anyone have any experience with these? I only played one sleeve but they felt great and i gained a good amount of distance over the supersoft.  I have 3 more sleeves, and a couple more rounds before i leave florida...they might be a winner ill keep you posted.

I still would like to hear if anyone one has experience with the tour response ball, im hoping it wasnt just a good day of ball striking...hahaha

The Tour Response balls are fine. However, I wouldn't pay full price for them at $34 a dozen when I can get the Srixons at $20. However, Taylormade gave me some for free when they missed up a club order, so I have used them before.

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Id say that if youre someone who is shooting right around 100, a midrange ball is probably best because it still gives you good shortgame feel but isnt so expensive that you'll mind losing one.

I personally wouldnt play a tour ball like the Chrome Soft or Pro V1 because youre simply not precise enough at ball striking to get the most out of it and you'll be angry when you lose one because theyre so expensive.

You may give up some spin around the greens with a midrange ball but it shouldnt be so much that it will make all that much of a difference and the ball should still have enough feel that you can putt and chip with it.

• Like 3

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

When I got into golf a few years back I saw an article on this topic from a golf blogger/YouTuber called golf sidekick. He recommended the Srixon Soft Feel which I played until I started breaking 90. For me the Soft Feel was a good ball off the tee, it won’t rip back on greens, but I had no problem checking that ball up. If you shop deals you can get them around $1.5/ ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

On 5/31/2020 at 7:26 PM, dlow206 said:

I play the Srixon Z-Star ball. It's a tour level ball, but I can get them for $20 a dozen for the prior generation balls. 

I am about to buy some of this years srixon zstar, BOGO from srixon.  I will try them out and let you know what i find.

Here is the link:https://www.srixon.com/us/balls/golf-balls/z-star-golf-balls/MZSTAR18.html

• Like 1

Guest Delete
On 5/29/2020 at 7:13 PM, pasta said:

The chromesoft gets expensive on courses with lots of black holes of water. So i played 9 holes with a supersoft and it felt good, im going to play 2 rounds with them this weekend and see what happens. Thank you for your advice, looks like im going in the right direction.

If you don't lose any balls then premium golf balls are the way to go no matter what you shoot. 

I second other comments on mid-tier if you tend to lose a few here and there. 

My favorite mid tier ball is the Taylormade Project (a). It is a 3 piece urethane ball = awesome. 

Other balls to consider are the Kirkland Performance + and Srixon Q Star (in that order). 

If you lose a lot of balls then you can play cheap balls on the holes you tend to lose a lot of balls on. 

I have tried all varieties of balls because I play what I find. I just happen to find hundreds at a time so, I like playing premium balls. 

The biggest difference I find it 50 yds and in where premium balls perform the best because of tour sauce (backspin). 

If you are just playing for fun then switch your ball to a better ball on your approach shots or when you are 50 yards and in to test it out. 

3 hours ago, TimoTe said:

If you don't lose any balls then premium golf balls are the way to go no matter what you shoot. 

I second other comments on mid-tier if you tend to lose a few here and there. 

My favorite mid tier ball is the Taylormade Project (a). It is a 3 piece urethane ball = awesome. 

Other balls to consider are the Kirkland Performance + and Srixon Q Star (in that order). 

If you lose a lot of balls then you can play cheap balls on the holes you tend to lose a lot of balls on. 

I have tried all varieties of balls because I play what I find. I just happen to find hundreds at a time so, I like playing premium balls. 

The biggest difference I find it 50 yds and in where premium balls perform the best because of tour sauce (backspin). 

If you are just playing for fun then switch your ball to a better ball on your approach shots or when you are 50 yards and in to test it out. 

Thank you for the input! So far i have been using callaway super soft and taylormade tour response the past few weeks. I like the feel of them both,  tour response went a little further on certain shots and responded a little better around the greens.. I have ordered some srixon z star per a couple of guys in this thread saying for the money it is a great ball.  I will test them put in a couple of weeks as i will be traveling.  I will keep you posted, and if i ever can get my hands on kirkland balls i will try them as well.

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 4:11 PM, pasta said:

I am about to buy some of this years srixon zstar, BOGO from srixon.  I will try them out and let you know what i find.

Here is the link:https://www.srixon.com/us/balls/golf-balls/z-star-golf-balls/MZSTAR18.html

Yes, go for the Srixon BOGO you won't be sorry. If you like a soft ball. But, not supersoft, I'd say Soft Feel. The QST sits in the middle and the Zstar is the firmest. Z star and QST offers greenside spin. All are good. Comes down to your personal preferences. Haven't played the Tour Response. But, it should play similar to QST. 

Edited by NC Golfer
  • Like 1

Guest Delete
8 hours ago, pasta said:

Thank you for the input! So far i have been using callaway super soft and taylormade tour response the past few weeks. I like the feel of them both,  tour response went a little further on certain shots and responded a little better around the greens.. I have ordered some srixon z star per a couple of guys in this thread saying for the money it is a great ball.  I will test them put in a couple of weeks as i will be traveling.  I will keep you posted, and if i ever can get my hands on kirkland balls i will try them as well.

I find the Z star to be a very good spinning ball for stopping one the greens. I think they don't go as far as a Pro V1x but they are awesome for all else

My recommendation for someone struggling to break 100 is to look at where you are giving up strokes. Often times, the culprit is penalties and if you're losing golf balls in the woods or sacrificing them to the water gods, I'd say stick to a cheap 2-piece ball that you like. Shouldn't really matter too much what it is as long as it isn't a complete dud. Maybe you're a half-decent ball striker, but struggle to hit the green and have an atrocious short game or really struggle with the putter. You could probably do okay with a more expensive ball and it may even help with some of your misses (based on MGS ball studies). I'd still shy away from the added expense of tour balls for the time being, but you could certainly opt for something closer to the $30 mark.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

On 6/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, pasta said:

I would save the money and skip the Z stars, that extra spin and harder ball is just making your crooked shots curve more off line. The Q Star Tour would be the highest I would go if you must have urethane. As someone who used to be in your shoes - I would go with the Srixon 2 piece distance balls. I think my first time breaking 90 was with Nike PD Softs and Bridgestone e6. Until you start hitting 6 GIR and need higher spin for stopping power (or just play really hard, fast greens), or you rely on low spinning pitches to check up on greens save the money on urethane balls which wear out faster than cheap ones. It's much easier to play bump and runs and get used to roll out then trying to figure how much the ball will bite with inconsistent contact. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

Or just get $1 used balls from your local FB guy or from LostGolfBalls. Was scanning the thread to see if anyone mentioned this but since nobody did I will be the first to say that I get my premium balls at $1 each from a local guy and have no issues with them. I shoot low 90's with used balls. I play Chrome Softs but slowly switching over to TP5's due to the off-center core issue. Might need to cut a few up and check for myself. 

• Like 2

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball : :callaway-small: Chromesoft Truvis / Taylormade TP5 Pix

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 20

On 6/14/2020 at 9:18 PM, NC Golfer said:

Yes, go for the Srixon BOGO you won't be sorry. If you like a soft ball. But, not supersoft, I'd say Soft Feel. The QST sits in the middle and the Zstar is the firmest. Z star and QST offers greenside spin. All are good. Comes down to your personal preferences. Haven't played the Tour Response. But, it should play similar to QST. 

With the BOGO, the Z star is $20 a dozen and the Q Star Tour a couple of dollars less a dozen.  In either case, you get an excellent golf ball with a urethane cover (better around greens) for a price where it does not really matter (other than pride and score) if you lose a couple a round.  I like the Q Star Tour much better than the Supersoft.

• Like 2

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

I have been looking for a go to ball this season. I have tried numerous balls over the last year or so including Cut Grey, Cut Matte, Bridgestone e12, Callaway Hex Bite and a couple of others. I received 2 - 2 packs of the ERC Soft when I bought my new Mavrik Driver. I loved these balls and the way they jumped off my irons. I really like the Triple Track as well. Unfortunately, they are pricey and I lose too many balls to justify buying these. I bought some Supersofts and they seem to have similar performance. I think I am going to run with these for awhile. I also received some Oncore Avants as a gift and I have only played a couple of holes with them, so the jury is still out on them.  

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Mavrik 9 Degree

:taylormade-small: Jet Speed 3 and 5 Wood

:cobra-small: Baffler XL 4-GW

:cleveland-small: CBX 52 Degree

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole S

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5

Really depends on your swing speed and ball budget. My wallet and clubs seem to be digging the Snell MTB-X lately. Great feel around the greens and I get the same amount of distance as I was getting with the PRO V1s. My swing speed is 105-108. Plus you can order them directly. There’s a good review and video of them on the website.  Happy hunting! 

JJ

• Like 1

Creative Director, Writer and Misfit who Mishits.

a. Iron specs (stiff, standard length/lie) Nike VRS Covert 2.0

b. Driver specs (9.5/ Stiff) Nike Vapor Speed

c. Dexterity (Righty)

d. Atlanta

e. 11 Handicap

The two best pieces of advise in this thread are from PMookie about determining your ball based around the green performance.   In that category there is nothing on par with the ProV lineup.  X or V

The other best advise is the ZStar BOGO.  The best combination of price and quality. 

And im sorry. Those that say you shouldn’t play a premium ball unless you’re breaking 80 or even 90 are just dead wrong.  That’s an old way of thinking before the modern balls came along jn 2001 with the ProV. 

As a person who shoots in the 90’s on 90% if my rounds and a swing speed of 88-90 i can tell you and have had it proven on course and trackman I absolutely do get the benefits of the ProV versus any other type of balll.  

if price is an issue for you, that’s certainly understandable.  Then the Snell MTB or OnCore Elixr will get you much better performance than any of the other balls you mentioned. 

But get the “soft” ball out if your thinking.  Especially at your swing speed.  Its of no benefit to you. 

• Like 4

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

On 6/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, PMookie said:

Ok, if you want consistency, and straight, I’d suggest looking at something other than Chrome Soft... Of all the things that came out in the Ball Test, the inconsistent production of the cores in Chrome Softs was a problem. Shots went way offline, when other balls didn’t. After reading a couple posts here, I would gather that performance isn’t your number one decision maker, it’s the feel of the ball. Understand that a ball can feel great, but not be the best performer for you. I would say again that amateurs gained NINE shots when using “tour caliber” balls, but in the end, if feel is all you want, then you have many, many options, just don’t look for additional gains in performance that would actually improve your scoring.

This right here. 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1