TESTERS WANTED! ×

For the Love of the Walk

Hey everyone,

When I first picked up golf I despised walking a full 18 due to not have a bag with good straps or a stand. A cart was convenient, easy. Finally, almost three years later after picking up the game my fiancée gifted me a new golf bag with great straps and stand. A major upgrade over my thrifty Goodwill bag! And for the first time in my extremely young golf life, I found my love of the walk. For so long, I always thought a cart was superior and walking was just a hassle. I could not have been more wrong. Who knew a good bag could turn me into such a walking fiend. Besides my own philosophy of walking keeps your legs activated and ready for the next shot I love being outdoors. Although it is more of a pedicured nature walk, I'll take any time when I can hear the birds chirping and the person a hole away swearing at another duffed iron shot. 

I feel like I may be alone in my thinking as a lot of my friends who golf always want to take a cart. What does everyone else prefer? 

Driver: Cobra F9, stiff, (set 10 deg)

3 Wood: Srixon F65, Reg, (15 deg)

Hybrid: Cobra Baffler TWS, reg, (20 deg)

Irons: Cobra Forged One Length, stiff( 4-PW)

Wedges: 52 deg Ray Cook, 56deg TM Milled Grind, 60 deg Ray Cook

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Xg 2-ball F7

• Guests
Guest Delete

I prefer walking with a push cart:

1. Keeps my muscles warm instead of tightening up when I ride
  2. Gets me away from annoying playing partners who either play poorly or have a bad attitude
  3. Let's me walk directly to my ball which allows me to concentrate on my next shot better
  4. Seems to make slow rounds seem less slow because I'm not waiting as long to hit my next shot due to the extra time it takes to get to the ball
  5. Helps me think I am doing something healthy while I pay to hit a ball and chase it for 5 miles

I feel using a push cart is better for my game because I was getting too tired carrying, and I can carry more snacks and drinks. 

I don't think walking as a foursome is slower than using carts. 2 carts for 4 people can be slow if they don't hit their balls close to each other. 

10 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I prefer walking with a push cart:

1. Keeps my muscles warm instead of tightening up when I ride
  2. Gets me away from annoying playing partners who either play poorly or have a bad attitude
  3. Let's me walk directly to my ball which allows me to concentrate on my next shot better
  4. Seems to make slow rounds seem less slow because I'm not waiting as long to hit my next shot due to the extra time it takes to get to the ball
  5. Helps me think I am doing something healthy while I pay to hit a ball and chase it for 5 miles

I feel using a push cart is better for my game because I was getting too tired carrying, and I can carry more snacks and drinks. 

I don't think walking as a foursome is slower than using carts. 2 carts for 4 people can be slow if they don't hit their balls close to each other. 

On my own experience is better for your back, avoiding the holes and bumps in the cart paths and fairways helps me stay fresh and relaxed. 

But yeah all of your points are right there with the way I think about walking. 

Edited by SnakeDoc

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I always love to walk the course.  Great exercise.  I did invest in a pull cart to still walk the course as the wear and tear on the back,...tends to take a toll at times...

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18

Even when my green fee includes a cart I still walk.  Riding in a cart just seems like a more hectic round racing from ball to ball.  Always enjoyed walking since I was a little kid and I find it relaxing.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Walking no question... in a world where we spend hours on a chair or in the car which better exercise than a walk in the nature?
i just bought an ewheels v2. Look forward to its arrival!

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

7 hours ago, Dragon3 said:

I always love to walk the course.  Great exercise.  I did invest in a pull cart to still walk the course as the wear and tear on the back,...tends to take a toll at times...

This. I don’t mind carrying for 9, but fatigue sets in around 15, 16 and I’m sore the next day. Buy a good push cart and you’ll enjoy it even more. 

Walking is way better then going around in a cart.  I find it's actually faster for me to walk a round then ride.

:titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.5
:taylormade-small: M2 (2017) 3W 17.5 -  
:ping-small: G 4H 22 - 
:titelist-small: 735cm 3 - PW - KBS Tour Black Nickel 115g ( R )
:vokey-small: SM4 Tour Chrome 52˚- 8˚ | 56˚- 8˚ | 60˚- 7˚ - True Temper Dynamic Gold ( W )
:cameron-small: California Coronado
:Snell: 
MTB-X
:Arccos:

I really enjoy walking the course. Keeps me loose and gives me time to cool off after a bad shot, and I get a better picture of the course. My scores are usually better when I walk. Luckily my girlfriend bought me a pushcart last year for my birthday and it made it even more enjoyable. I wish more people at my course would walk. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I prefer walking unless heavy drinking is involved, or extremely long billy course. As long as it’s less then 10 miles I’m good. I use a pull cart and walk close to 10 miles about 4 days a week. All this really changes the way I play the game, it makes me feel better and have more stamina for the round. 

WITB Cobra F9 Speed Back w/Fujikura Atmos x70 black, Cobra 🐍 Fly Z Pro Irons 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60.04L(thanks MGS for the lesson), Ping Ketsch Putter, Ping Pioneer Bag, Tri Swivel II Cart. 

I like both walking and using a cart. Depends on the situation.  I've been playing weekly since covid put me working from home.  I generally play in a twosome with a good friend. We walk these rounds each week using Clic-Gear push carts.  We are both about 50 but in much better shape than the average golfer.  We like the exercise.  We play fairly quickly, enjoy walking and talking, etc. Also, we play similarly (although he's 10 strokes better than I am).  Our distances and similar so our weekly games just flow nicely.  I find that walking does give me time to see the course better, get a feel for it and plan my next shot.

There are other rounds where I prefer the cart.  Depending on where I'm playing, who I'm playing with, course conditions, etc.  It can be more relaxing, food/drink/music are easily at hand. Some people are not good cart partners. Either they drive poorly, play nothing but classic rock, don't understand proper flow (like drop me off at my ball with a club then drive over to yours and get ready to hit...I can walk over), talk to much or too little (or talk politics).  Some courses are not a good walk.  Cart path only on wet days sucks...I'd rather walk.  With covid and everyone having their own cart it's kind of nice (unless I'm playing with my wife...I enjoy sharing a cart with her).

You get the idea, for me it's situational.  It's funny how there are times when I'm a few holes in and I'll realize I made the wrong walk/ride decision and I have to not let that ruin my round.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor