Who plays one brand throughout their whole bag? Is it brand loyalty or dedication to the best product?

Our Sponsors

At one point in time my entire bag was Titleist and not by design. I’ve since switched up a few items and it got me thinking. Did I subconsciously do it out of loyalty while not being sponsored or was it because it was the the right set up for me. I  am coming to appreciate a more diverse set up. Thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two years ago I played an all Titleist bag, combo AP1/AP2, 816 hybrids, 917 FW, SM6 wedges and Scotty and ProV ball.     Last year on a challenge I played an all PING bag.  G410 Driver, FW, Hyb

Interesting question. Important to remember that Golf is about style and statement as well! @FrogginBullfish @Nic @Bgreen44   When assembling my current set of clubs, I started out with Titl

I had a full Taylormade bag at one point. Working towards a full PING bag, just need to replace the driver, FW, and Hybrid. And of course a sweet PING Tour Hoofer bag. I believe it is some brand lo

Posted Images

I've slowly gravitated to TM but by complete accident. I started with the 2 rescue, then the 3W M2, then went for the MG wedges because I wanted a switch from the Vokeys I've played. Added the M5 driver on a good deal from a Callaway driver trade in program, then went to the P790's.

• Like 1

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

I was very close to an all Mizuno bag. I love their irons and always have them. Then I tried out a buddy's CLK hybrid and fell in love so I picked up one of those. I was never able to bag a hybrid because they go so far left but these have a flatter lie angle and it helps it go straight and long. Then I got fitted for a new driver and 3 wood. After trying a bunch of different options, the ST190 was the longest, most consistent option for me. I also have a Japanese Only Mizuno putter that I play from time to time. The only thing I didn't have was the wedges. They were solid and I thought about getting them but I like the ones I have too much. I may go back to the Mizuno 3 wood, I just thought I'd try out this Tour Edge but so far I'm not seeing any reason to keep it in the bag.

• Like 2

Driver: :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 220 9.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.0
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I had a full Taylormade bag at one point.

Working towards a full PING bag, just need to replace the driver, FW, and Hybrid.

And of course a sweet PING Tour Hoofer bag.

I believe it is some brand loyalty. For the same reason I’ll only buy Apple products, Toyota vehicles, Nike running shoes, Vizio TV’s, etc.

You get used to the quality.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I had a full Taylormade bag at one point.

Working towards a full PING bag, just need to replace the driver, FW, and Hybrid.

And of course a sweet PING Tour Hoofer bag.

I believe it is some brand loyalty. For the same reason I’ll only buy Apple products, Toyota vehicles, Nike running shoes, Vizio TV’s, etc.

You get used to the quality.

I love my Hoofer!

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I too have gravitated towards Taylormade, and my decision was game improvement driven.  I was a Ping guy first... the whole bag.  The TM transformation started with new G. I. irons. A TM 3 wood was the next piece in the bag.  When i caught the bug for a new driver, TM triumphed again... I went shopping for a new driver and flipped head-over-heels for the TM M4. Next was a TM putter.  TM M6 hybrid was last.  Oh, and a TM bag replaced the Ping bag at some point early on too.  The Ping to Taylormade switch definitely snuck up slowly! 

Edited by Nic
Spelling error
  • Like 2

I have a full bag of Cobras thanks to Cobra Connect 3 but prior to that i never had a full bag of one manufacturer before. I have bought another set of irons for a little experiment but they are Cobras too so maybe some brand loyalty has been born...

• Like 3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

Posted (edited)

I used to play only Cobras 5 years ago. Now I have a combination of Callaway Driver & 5-wood, Cobra 3-wood, Srixon z785 irons, Vokey Wedges & Taylormade Spider Tour putter. For me it's about consistency, feel and what works best for me based on fittings and on-course play. My feelings about brand loyalty have changed over the years.

Edited by ward

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Hybrid: Cobra F7 @ 21.5 Degrees / Fujikura Pro 75H Stiff.

Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 12 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 10 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour III (Red) 34" Long.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Bag: Sun Mountain C130.

Currently sporting a full bag of Callaway because I fell into some deals. Got a great deal on the irons and a coworker hooked me up with 3W & 5W when he was upgrading. I was using Taylormade before these and had no complaints with them. No loyalty to any brand, just coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 10.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:callaway-small: X2 Hot 5-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:taylormade-small: TP5

Started 2020 with mostly all callaway but then gradually started trying a few other clubs and a couple Cleveland wedges and Sim woods have made it in the bag

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

At one point I was stuck to Callaway. Not too sure why but I guess I was drawn into their marketing. Then the last time I got fitted for irons & driver I hit every single brand. Ended up going with Ping for almost every club in my bag. I have no connection with Ping and I'm not even all that appealed to the brand. I absolutely loved my G30 wood, which made it that much easier to pick the G400 driver. Then I kept coming back to the i200 irons and ended up choosing them over the Mizuno's at the time. 

#ping

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 

Woods: Ping G400, G30

Irons: Ping i200

Wedges: Titleist SM6 & SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab One

For five years I gamed only custom Wishon set consisting of the wedges, irons, hybrid, fairway wood and driver, and a Wishon Putter. 

Regarding brand loyalty, I am very loyal and supportive of custom club making/fitting and Wishon is my top custom brand. Additionally, I am loyal to Ping as I respect their company and product quality. I am currently working on building a Ping custom set for 2020 but it will be mixed model Pings fit to my needs and most likely will only be the irons, few wedges and a fairway wood. I will have some Callaway clubs mixed in (Driver, sw & lw, Odyssey putter). 

I chalk it up to my OCD about mixed up stuff... which makes absolutely no sense if you saw my fly tying bench most of the year 😁.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I haven’t found a company that makes a full bag of clubs that fit me across the board. I’m hoping to test this with Cobra!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I know MGS is pretty staunch in the belief that the optimal bag setup won't be one brand throughout and for the most part I think that's right.

That being said, I think most brands make good enough clubs throughout their range that those who do want to go one brand full bag can still get a really good set.

No matter what way you go, the main thing is enjoying playing golf, right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1
I know MGS is pretty staunch in the belief that the optimal bag setup won't be one brand throughout and for the most part I think that's right.

I don’t think that is necessarily the belief. The opinion is that everyone should be fit. that fitting could be to find the best combination within a single
manufacturer.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My bag is a mixup of what works for me. Ever since I chose to play this awesome game, I have yet to have a full set from one particular brand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

Posted (edited)

Interesting question. Important to remember that Golf is about style and statement as well! @FrogginBullfish @Nic @Bgreen44

When assembling my current set of clubs, I started out with Titleist brand loyalty with some used original AP2s and SM wedges. That quickly moved to Cleveland wedges as I found some used Zipgrooves and a Cleveland TFI 8.0 putter I was fit for. 

I did purposefully buy a Titleist branded bag though to match the irons. Don’t consider myself brand-loyal, but I did think it was nice to match bag with irons. My big need was a 14-way bag, and just happened to find a Titleist one I liked. 

Really interested in your thoughts on branding: do you buy something matching your favorite club, or go for a complete-set brand and color scheme?

C6E3C26F-073C-45F1-B63D-7F84F322C580.jpeg

5B486820-7479-4E4F-A1BA-8E88290A22F9.jpeg

Edited by dgoober
Added member tags
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

When I bought my Ping iBlades a couple years ago I started swapping out my wedges slowly to the glide wedges in an effort to get to a full bag of ping.  I got a 56* ES, and a 60*TS and loved them so I later picked up a 52* and was going to start looking into the driver and 3 wood. BUT...then i started to shank my 52* about 50% of the time. Thought I was going crazy since that used to be one of my best clubs. I finally had a friend try it and on his first shot he shanked it too. Ok, something is up with the design of that club (it was a 52* SS Glide 2.0)...Don't know what it was but as soon as I put my old Vokey wedge back it the shanks were gone. I now have an almost brand new wedge that I will be looking to trade in to a Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore once they all open back up...Long story short, I wanted to go full bag Ping, but after that wedge experience I have decided to forgo that and just put in the back what works best. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9.5* head set to 8* loft 3*open, weights set slightly lower Launch and fade bias
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: B X, and currently testing the Vice Pro + Neon just for fun

Not to be argumentative cause I know you're a tester and know the MGS guys personally but here are the tweets from 2020 and 2019 that reinforce that belief.

I don’t think that is necessarily the belief. The opinion is that everyone should be fit. that fitting could be to find the best combination within a single
manufacturer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1