Bgreen44

Who plays one brand throughout their whole bag? Is it brand loyalty or dedication to the best product?

Our Sponsors

17 hours ago, PMookie said:

I haven’t found a company that makes a full bag of clubs that fit me across the board. I’m hoping to test this with Cobra!!!!!! emoji1374.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am also hoping to test that Cobra set up! (good luck btw - announcement coming this week!!!!)  I think that the woods through irons will be fairly easy to get all the same brand as you can re-shaft a club to preform different, without needing to change the head. The wedges and putter are where I see it most likely to be less brand loyal. 

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9.5* head set to 8* loft 3*open, weights set slightly lower Launch and fade bias
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: B X, and currently testing the Vice Pro + Neon just for fun

5 hours ago, dgoober said:

Interesting question. Important to remember that Golf is about style and statement as well! @FrogginBullfish @Nic @Bgreen44

Guys, please help me out with some likes - want to get out of Recruit status today.

When assembling my current set of clubs, I started out with Titleist brand loyalty with some used original AP2s and SM wedges. That quickly moved to Cleveland wedges as I found some used Zipgrooves and a Cleveland TFI 8.0 putter I was fit for. 

I did purposefully buy a Titleist branded bag though to match the irons. Don’t consider myself brand-loyal, but I did think it was nice to match bag with irons. My big need was a 14-way bag, and just happened to find a Titleist one I liked. 

Really interested in your thoughts on branding: do you buy something matching your favorite club, or go for a complete-set brand and color scheme?

C6E3C26F-073C-45F1-B63D-7F84F322C580.jpeg

5B486820-7479-4E4F-A1BA-8E88290A22F9.jpeg

I personally fell into an all Titleist setup. Got fitted for the driver and irons over the course of a few years and then was gifted used Titleist fairway metals. I moved away from my all vokey wedge set up and Have fallen in love with the TM high toe. I am really curious about the TM sim driver and ping fairway metals. I have no brand loyalty and have always gone with what looks best on my hands. I was playing Mizuno Iron’s for the 10 years prior to my AP2’s. I almost went with another set of mizuno, however, after going through the fitting and hitting about 6 different sets, it was Titleist that won out. Curious what my next club will be.

• Like 1

Rather than brand loyalty, I think I'm the type who avoids certain brands, like... any brand but that one.

I almost had a full Callaway bag at some point (just missing the wedges), but I think I like the mixed bag a little bit better.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Im pretty much all Tommy Armour now.  For me, its not so much that I think TA is the best but that they are among the best and the best value.

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I mix it up but believe for consistency with the make and feel,  driver/woods all the same brand/type, Hybrids all the same, Irons all the same, and wedges the all the same. The groups (Woods, Irons, Wedges) can be different brands with whatever works for you and feels right. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 Driver
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash
4 Hybrid: :callaway-small: Epic Flash
Irons: 
:callaway-small: 3-PW Rogue 
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50, 56, 60
Putter:  :titelist-small: :cameron-small: California Fastback 35" w Red Cord Dancing SC Grip
Bag: :nike-small: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag
Ball:
:bridgestone-small: e12 soft

Still learning. Love the art of putting.

2 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Not to be argumentative cause I know you're a tester and know the MGS guys personally but here are the tweets from 2020 and 2019 that reinforce that belief.

Not being argumentative at all;  my being a tester doesn't mean I know everything. Thanks for posting the correction.    

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Pingistheanser said:

Im pretty much all Tommy Armour now.  For me, its not so much that I think TA is the best but that they are among the best and the best value.

I played the 845’s Silver Scott’s in high school and then upgraded to The 855’s. I have a soft spot in heart for Tommy Armour. I still have both sets 

• Like 1

I started the year with a mix of Callaway Driver and Woods, TaylorMade Irons, and Cleveland Wedges. I ended up getting my hands on a cheap set of One Length Cobra King Forged clubs. After playing with them and loving how accurate they felt, I moved on from my TM Irons. I then got rid of my Callaway Hybrid and 3 Wood, and grabbed the F9 in both as I loved my buddies when I swung them. The CBX wedges have been some of the most forgiving clubs I have ever used, but I wanted to continue my OL lifestyle, and I’m planning on buying the OL King MIM wedges when they drop on June 12th. my Rogue Sub Zero will stay for now, but the SZ looks like fun. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.5

3 Wood: Cobra F9 Tour 13.5

3Hybrid: Cobra F9

4i-PW: Cobra King Forged One Length

52/56/60: Cleveland CBX

Putter: Cleveland TFI 8.0 CB

22 hours ago, Bgreen44 said:

I played the 845’s Silver Scott’s in high school and then upgraded to The 855’s. I have a soft spot in heart for Tommy Armour. I still have both sets 

You should check out the new Tommy Armours that GG and DSG sell.  Theyre legit.

• Like 1

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

The first club I was fitted for was a Taylormade M4 after hitting numerous brands it was the best fits, my irons as well, so ultimately I made my choice in wedges based on some brand loyalty. When my M4 had issues with its club face they sent me a brand new SIM Max so for that I will continue to have loyalty. I one day would like a Scotty Putter, and thats solely on look and reputation. 

Right Handed 

:taylormade-small: SIM Max, 10.5 deg, Ventus Red 5 reg

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3 Rescue 19 deg, Ventus Blue 6 reg

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 4-PW, KBS 85 reg 

:taylormade-small: ATV Grind Wedges 52, 56, 60 deg, KBS 85

Lamkin Crossline-Midsize grips on all swinging clubs 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab, Black One, 35"

:bridgestone-small: e12 soft; Tour B RX

I play an almost one brand bag. Everything is Cobra, thank you again MGS #CCC3, except driver and putter. Never could get along with the F9 driver. Game a Srixon Z785 and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

I had everything Taylormade except for 3 Wood and Wedges. They just worked for me, not brand loyalty. The only thing Taylormade that I have now is my P790 UDI

Driver: image.jpeg.34eaee8382f091fe0a3c22d07a128f3d.jpeg TS2 10.5* A-1 Tensai AV 55 Stiff

3 Wood: image.jpeg.e516c276ea3badda924b599efc74dc44.jpeg Epic BB Sub Zero Fujikura Pro 62 Stiff

Driving Iron: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 UDI Project X, Hzrdus 85g

Irons: image.jpeg.b7214da2fa3cda117f55d5a1eca9bfdc.jpeg 0211 4-PW Elevate 95 Stiff

Wedges: image.jpeg.eefc27879a3aeb4584a2da0c9fc3cc61.jpeg RTX 4. 50, 56, 60 degrees

Putter: image.jpeg.5f24b023b8db3d017291f4cd9e670f90.jpeg Huntington Beach 11 

Ball: image.jpeg.4ebe90b87a3ca1ef4804bec7677e8df7.jpeg  Chrome Soft Truvis

I play with what feels comfortable to me and gives me the best results. Right now, I'm locked in with my current setup. 

Driver- Cobra F9 Speedback 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Hybrid/Utility- Sub70 699U 19.5°  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Irons- Sub70 699 5-GW  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Sub70 Forged Black 54° and 58°  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 34"  default_cleveland-small.jpg.c74f3b17afe658f686b5fe6afe45378f.jpg

Ball- Titleist ProV1x  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

Titleist throughout the bag. At first it was brand recognition, then just for consistency and familiarity, even while being professionally fitted. Then during my last full bag fitting I entered the experience with a different mind. The major brands had all made such significant strides in equipment I felt if I married myself to one brand I would be selling myself short in my game potential. So I instructed the fitter to NOT tell me anything about the clubs he would put in my hand until he reached a tipping point of selection for each group of clubs. (woods, hybrids/long irons, irons, and wedges). 

So at the end of it all I still ended with a full bag of Titleist clubs, with the exception of a Tour Edge hybrid 3 iron. So for me now I suspect you would say it is dedication to the best product for me.

PS: Caveat to this is that I actually did have one set of irons that performed better during the fitting, Epon forged blades, but they were outside my budgetary constraints.

:titelist-small: 917D3 10.5deg PorjectX HZRDUS T1100 Shaft 6.5

:titelist-small: 917F2 15deg  PorjectX HZRDUS T1100 Shaft 6.5

:titelist-small: 818H1 22deg Mitsubishi Tensei X 105gram shaft

:titelist-small: 714 AP2 4-W KBS Tour-V X 130 gram shaft

Vokey Design Wedges logo 56-14 SM5 F-Grind KBS High Spin X Wedge shaft

Vokey Design Wedges logo 60-11 SM5 K-Grind KBS High Spin X Wedge shaft

Scotty Cameron Putters Circa 62 No-2 Putter

:titelist-small: PROV1x

See the source image

1 hour ago, Guymconners said:

Titleist throughout the bag. At first it was brand recognition, then just for consistency and familiarity, even while being professionally fitted. Then during my last full bag fitting I entered the experience with a different mind. The major brands had all made such significant strides in equipment I felt if I married myself to one brand I would be selling myself short in my game potential. So I instructed the fitter to NOT tell me anything about the clubs he would put in my hand until he reached a tipping point of selection for each group of clubs. (woods, hybrids/long irons, irons, and wedges). 

So at the end of it all I still ended with a full bag of Titleist clubs, with the exception of a Tour Edge hybrid 3 iron. So for me now I suspect you would say it is dedication to the best product for me.

PS: Caveat to this is that I actually did have one set of irons that performed better during the fitting, Epon forged blades, but they were outside my budgetary constraints.

When I see people say something like this and use the phrase, "the best product for me", I often wonder if they look at it through the lens of whatever their brand of choice is.  I know that Im guility of this too.  I was a Mizuno fanboy for years and I always tried to find something from Mizuno that worked for me before I forgot about brand and just played whatever I liked.  I will admit that Im still guility of gravitation towards Japanese brands and if I built a bag today and money was no object, Id probably be trying to decide between Mizuno and Srixon/Cleveland.

Not calling you out or anything, I just find it interesting when I see someone use the words, "best product FOR ME."

• Like 1

Had 13 clubs in my bag from PXG to start the year (all but the putter) and now I have two Callaway clubs in the bag. Was not a fan of the PXG Gen 2 3 wood at my fitting and once I got it in the feeling stayed so I went back to my Rogue Sub Zero and also put my Rogue Sub Zero 5 wood back in the bag. Not sure it was done as a plan but it was not much more to do the full bag fitting and get 14 clubs as opposed to just getting irons and wedges which was what I really wanted. Figure I can always sell clubs that I don’t want or use and get some of the cash back. The only time that I have played a full bag from one OEM was my Titleist gear and it was not brand loyalty, the stuff just worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

I'll play whatever works for me and fits my budget, for the most part. Doesn't really matter much, to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

The only clubs I'm loyal to are my TM Milled Grind wedges and my Betti armlock.  I am also super loyal to JumboMax grips.  Those things are game changers for me.

I have never been too fussed about it, really! That my current clubs are very loyal to Cobra comes from the decision to go for One Length clubs, and while there are other brands who makes single length clubs, the choice wasn't difficult. Before I had an older Cobra driver and spoon, Callaway irons, Cobra wedges and a Taylor Made (Nubbins 🤩) putter.

I haven't received all the stuff I've written that I have, but I have paid for it! 👀 I'm still missing the 4 iron and the bag (it's currently a grey/orange Cobra Ultralight), but I'm changing due to the addition of JumboMax XL grips. From what I read it's not a perfect fit, but it should be better than my current bag, where I feel like I struggle at times even with standard grips.

I've ordered stuff from eBay, and the delivery times (to Sweden) are no joke sometimes. I'm happy if my gear is ready mid-July... 🥺

Anyway, I like use the same brand if I can, but it's not more important than performance. BUT the feeling when a brand that one does not really like (for some reason) performs best... 😰

Bag: image.jpeg Speedzone Stand Bag
Driver: image.jpeg.c52f94b683d0b1557505d398dd3fb0c8.jpeg King F8 9° Stiff
3 Wood: image.jpeg.f1cc9ab9f2a93654030625fdc8de13f2.jpeg King F8 14,5° Stiff
3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.c012bb247a39b5f1742b686c3dd39b70.jpeg King Speedzone One Length 19°
Irons: image.jpeg.dbcc24448d6993f44500423fe631d206.jpeg King Forged KBS 120 4-GW
Wedges: image.jpeg.853c0ec9efa5edfda308b6857d6dd0dd.jpeg King One 56 & 60
Putter: image.jpeg.b3d1ed6bc6999191692bb2f1e174a95e.jpeg Stroke Lab 2-Ball Fang
Ball: :titelist-small: Tour Soft

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

image.png.472eab421d79c993512439768ed53787.pngAll clubs (except putter) use JumboMax Ultralite XL

Actually the guys on here that have known me through the years will think I finally cracked up. The Monday before my accident I actually played a vintage round with all Macgregor stuff including the green and white tartan Staff bag. Had the 57 Velocitized Woods 62 FC -4000 irons and a Mac Toney Penna SW even had a Iron Master putter. I just remembered that reading on here. Most of my vintage rounds I have the brands of woods and vintages all mixed up. Actually did not do too bad in mixing up because if I had wanted to I could have played the 62 keyhole woods and would have been proper through out the bag. Really I am only a fan boy of Macgregor stuff but do have a set of MP-68s I hit as good as the Macs

• Like 2

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck