Who plays one brand throughout their whole bag? Is it brand loyalty or dedication to the best product?

Our Sponsors

Never want to say I am a bran loyalist. However every time I've gotten fit I happen to end up with a Taylormade in my hand. Except for wedges. First club I was given was a Vokey wedge and I will forever play them. Plus it helps that they have tons of grind options.

Driver: Taylormade M4

3 Wood: Taylormade M4

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760 KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two years ago I played an all Titleist bag, combo AP1/AP2, 816 hybrids, 917 FW, SM6 wedges and Scotty and ProV ball.     Last year on a challenge I played an all PING bag.  G410 Driver, FW, Hyb

Interesting question. Important to remember that Golf is about style and statement as well! @FrogginBullfish @Nic @Bgreen44   When assembling my current set of clubs, I started out with Titl

I had a full Taylormade bag at one point. Working towards a full PING bag, just need to replace the driver, FW, and Hybrid. And of course a sweet PING Tour Hoofer bag. I believe it is some brand lo

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, TexasFullSend said:

Never want to say I am a bran loyalist. However every time I've gotten fit I happen to end up with a Taylormade in my hand. Except for wedges. First club I was given was a Vokey wedge and I will forever play them. Plus it helps that they have tons of grind options.

What did bran ever do to you that you would not be a loyalist? XP Not a Raisin Bran fan here either.

My bag from Driver through irons are Callaway. My first set of clubs was a Big Bertha driver and X-14 irons so for me it is probably something to do with loyalty. Wedges are Bombtech (budget wedges that for me do the job) and a Taylormade Spider (preferred mallet and is working well for me)

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Woods : TESTING :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 15.1

Kanibi CBD Products Tester

On 5/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, Bgreen44 said:

At one point in time my entire bag was Titleist and not by design. I’ve since switched up a few items and it got me thinking. Did I subconsciously do it out of loyalty while not being sponsored or was it because it was the the right set up for me. I  am coming to appreciate a more diverse set up. Thoughts? 

To be honest, I'm all Titleist right now, down to the plates of my car. 

No it was not by design, it was trial and error, I buy and get rid of plenty of used clubs, but I'm now really interested on getting fully fitted, regardless of the brand of the clubs. 

• Like 2

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

I play a mixed bag which reflects a combination of what I liked the best when testing clubs and getting fit (Mizuno Irons, Vokey Wedges, Scotty Putter) and what I was able to get good value on (bought Cobra Driver and 3W during a Buy a Driver, Get a Wood Promo, my scotty was 60% off, and the Cobra hybrid was also a clearance rack special). 

As to the OPs original question, I think there are different types of people in each category:

- There are definitely people who play 1 brand of clubs because they are fan boys, or its what a certain player uses, and you can't convince them another brand makes a better product in any category.  I doubt these type of players make it onto the Mygolfspy site much less the forms. I think this is probably where people would get judged for playing one brand if they aren't getting sponsored.

- Then there are people who play 1 brand because they develop preferences about something in the clubs (looks, quality, feel, etc) that they might not be able to call out, the value proposition, or maybe they just take comfort that they only have to decide when to upgrade equipment and not obsess over small differences in 5+ companies products when buying new clubs. Nothing wrong with this or the next 2 examples.

- There are people who play a mixed bag because they are all about finding the best bang for the buck and its easier to find deep discounts if you're not beholden to 1 brand.

- Then there are people who play a mixed bag because they are obsessed with squeezing every last bit of performance out of their clubs. 

Probably missing one or two for each as well, but I think the point is brand loyalty is necessarily a negative for performance.

• Like 1

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

One Sip Version - Then: TaylorMade Now: Four brands in the bag

One Drink Version - I had mostly TaylorMade filled bag from my college years chasing some distance claims folks may remember from the last decade. Never had any real issues with them but after 6-10 years in the bag, I finally committed to getting fit and having an open mind brand wise. Like many cited on here, I like matching things. This fitter was completely agnostic in my opinion. No steering towards one brand or another. With the irons, the numbers told the story that my dispersion was tightest with Mizuno even if they weren’t the longest. With driver, similar story. Mavrik sub zero won out with performance but also a feeling that I couldn’t imagine compared to my previous gamer (SLDR). On the other hand, my lottery ticket eBay SLDR 3H was unable to be kicked out of the bag that day so in it stays. Putter remains a $4 garage sale fine Ping Pal. Cheers!

If I had to choose one brand - Ping and a Titleist ball. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg