TESTERS WANTED! ×

Onewheel + XR for golf

Thin2win

Great writeup on playing golf on a onewheel! I bought my onewheel about 13 months ago and have played over 170 rounds on mine already! I've had a few minor falls, but no injuries... For anyone interested, I just created a new facebook group for onewheel golfers at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/369907551097707/

15 hours ago, hole-in-onewheel said:

Great writeup on playing golf on a onewheel! I bought my onewheel about 13 months ago and have played over 170 rounds on mine already! I've had a few minor falls, but no injuries... For anyone interested, I just created a new facebook group for onewheel golfers at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/369907551097707/

I haven't really kept count, but I'm up to 429 miles, on the board, with at least 300 of that on the course, so that is something like 50 rounds give or take. I've really enjoyed it, played some night golf on it even. That was the first time I really put the headlight to any use or test. I very much recommend a headlamp as well. The headlight is just too low to the ground most of the time to give you good vision.

20201002_192623.jpg.e6e940cce51a375cead89b773f1a6ea7.jpg20201002_192459.jpg.e44eb046182f4f97db9688daeb351b6b.jpg

I've had 1 very close to flop on the course, board dropped into a sprinkler well that was mowed over so it just looked like the same height as everything else. Board came to an immediate stop, I did not.  I ran it out, but had to drop my bag to stay upright. But no harm done. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

such a cool review!! thanks for sharing! me weighing 230, id have to lighten my bag as to not push too close to the max, but i host a 3 club tourney and this would be great, until the 10th hole where the Badger Blood mixed drinks start

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

53 minutes ago, McaseyM said:

such a cool review!! thanks for sharing! me weighing 230, id have to lighten my bag as to not push too close to the max, but i host a 3 club tourney and this would be great, until the 10th hole where the Badger Blood mixed drinks start

Thanks! But yeah, as many carts as I've seen crashed due to flowing libations... I'll just say keeping your coordination is a good idea. 💡

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

On 10/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, hole-in-onewheel said:

... For anyone interested, I just created a new facebook group for onewheel at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/369907551097707/

That is cool! I don't have Facebook, MGS is my social media. I've only ever seen 1 other out on the course, and it was at my club. After watching me float around all summer the itch got to be too much and another member got a board and had started riding. 

WITB:

OK, this is another awesome review that somehow I missed. I had seen the OneWheel when Randy from Fried Eggs golf on YouTube started posting about it a few years ago. He did a course vlog with it:

A music video tribute to his OneWheel:

And then an explanatory video of why he gave up using it on the course, which always stuck with me (and there's a MyGolfSpy shoutout here!):

Basically, he said there was a software glitch in which the Wheel would suddenly stop. He used the image of a golfer with a bag on his back, standing on car that suddenly hits the brakes. That seemed...not pretty.

@Thin2win: is this an issue that's been fixed? It seems like it's not a problem you've encountered.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

@Thin2win: is this an issue that's been fixed? It seems like it's not a problem you've encountered.

Personally, I haven't had any issues while riding the board. I think there has been twice that I've gone to get back on it and it's been in error mode. But a quick (like 10 second) cycle and it cleared the error and worked just fine. 

I don't think reliability is a reason not to ride one. There are plenty of more valid reasons to not ride 😅

Just like all vehicles, I'm sure a lemon makes it out of the factory, but it is the exception. 

It really is a blast to ride around. When I have one of those head scratching shots that we all have, a few big carving turns going down the fairway get my mind right back to happy and focused. So it has that plus too. 

WITB:

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, James Quigley said:

Do you think you would have any problems pulling a hand cart with the One Wheel?

It is much easier to carry a bag. I'd recommend a good Sunday /light carry bag as the best option. But, you can pull a cart... Not the easiest thing to, only the back two wheels are on the ground with how the cart has to lean. 

You definitely can't push a cart, it just doesn't work. 

Thinking about getting one, or have one and thinking about golfing with it? 

WITB:

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this post. I have been searching for a hybrid between golf cart and push cart. Saw one wheel. Trying to research to see if it will work on the course.  How is it going downhill on grass or cart path?  My concern is a face plant because my carry bag?

Edited by Karmagolfer

18 minutes ago, Karmagolfer said:

Thank you for this post. I have been searching for a hybrid between golf cart and push cart. Saw one wheel. Trying to research to see if it will work on the course.  How is it going downhill on grass or cart path?  My concern is a face plant because my carry bag?

I've done some pretty hilly terrain with it, but it does have limits. Some courses would be too steep to make it enjoyable or doable. 

The motor does regen braking when going downhill, so you don't speed up. You just keep going as you were. The real limit to hills is the angle from the bottom of the wheel to the edge of the board, 15 degrees. I thought I would run into lots of hills steeper than 15 degrees... But after a year of riding on golf courses (13 different ones) I've only found 1 hill that was just too much. Fortunately, the wheel only weights 30 lbs and it's easy enough to carry for a short distance. 

As for grass.. Doesn't really make a difference. I use a treaded tire, so I'd recommend that but as long is it isn't crazy wet or soft any surface is fine. The harder the surface the easier the wheel is to ride. 

WITB:

Cool review, but this old man will not be trying it. I noticed that you were playing 18 holes in 2 hours. Are you the only golfer on the course? Teeing off 1st? Just wondering how you were managing getting through all the other golfers?

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

58 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Cool review, but this old man will not be trying it. I noticed that you were playing 18 holes in 2 hours. Are you the only golfer on the course? Teeing off 1st? Just wondering how you were managing getting through all the other golfers?

It happens more often then I would think, but my club tends to heavily favor the 8am-12pm tee times. I tend to get out around 3 or 4. At that time, I often am about the only person on the course. And now that the club members have seen me around for a year, if I'm playing solo they are pretty fast to wave me through.

If I'm playing with my weekly group or with the wife and kid, it definitely doesn't speed up the round. Not much to be done about that. But on a day that you get the course to yourself for whatever reason the round is over before you know it.

WITB:

On a overall practical aspect. My wife and I have just gone to 1 car( @fixyurdivot @Kenny B the stinger is gone 😢). With Covid we just weren't driving that much and having 2 car payments didn't make much sense. So we now just have 1 SUV. That said, I wanted to go golfing last week on a sunny afternoon, but the wife needed the car. 

So I grabbed my golf clubs, hopped on the OneWheel and rode the 6.2 miles from my house to the course. I averaged 18 MPH getting there and it took about 25 minutes. The course was very wet, so I hadn't planned on riding on the course. It was a walking only day. But that worked, I parked the board at the clubhouse(I had grabbed the wall charged for it) and charged it back up while I played 9 holes and then was ready to ride back home.

I used 55% of the charge getting to the course. Had the course been dryer, I could have still used it to play 9. But would have needed to charge it afterwards. This worked great, I was able to use it as a 2nd car. Take that Finn Cycles and standard golf carts. 

WITB:

20 hours ago, Thin2win said:

On a overall practical aspect. My wife and I have just gone to 1 car( @fixyurdivot @Kenny B the stinger is gone 😢). With Covid we just weren't driving that much and having 2 car payments didn't make much sense. So we now just have 1 SUV. That said, I wanted to go golfing last week on a sunny afternoon, but the wife needed the car. 

So I grabbed my golf clubs, hopped on the OneWheel and rode the 6.2 miles from my house to the course. I averaged 18 MPH getting there and it took about 25 minutes. The course was very wet, so I hadn't planned on riding on the course. It was a walking only day. But that worked, I parked the board at the clubhouse(I had grabbed the wall charged for it) and charged it back up while I played 9 holes and then was ready to ride back home.

I used 55% of the charge getting to the course. Had the course been dryer, I could have still used it to play 9. But would have needed to charge it afterwards. This worked great, I was able to use it as a 2nd car. Take that Finn Cycles and standard golf carts. 

Does that qualify as a motorized vehicle?  Street legal?  Lot's of traffic?  Need a helmet?  Bike path?  

The week long Bend trip is a family affair.  Nice!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Does that qualify as a motorized vehicle?  Street legal?  Lot's of traffic?  Need a helmet?  Bike path?  

The week long Bend trip is a family affair.  Nice!!

I just pretend I'm riding a bike and use applicable paths and rules. I do wear a helmet anytime in not on the course. 

WITB:

WOW, this is just amazing! Great idea and I'd love to try something like this. My friends and I often play golf on weekends and it would be cool to come up with something original in a similar style! Once we played golf at night and used bicycle lights for the consecration, which shone well in the dark. It was really fun looking for a golf ball and hitting the holes. We were very tired that day, but it was a lot of fun considering that we had been doing this for 5 hours. Perhaps next weekend I will offer my friends golfing with a one wheel.

Edited by Korann

41 minutes ago, Korann said:

WOW, this is just amazing! Great idea and I'd love to try something like this.

It takes a little effort to learn, but it is worth it. 

WITB:

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

It takes a little effort to learn, but it is worth it. 

Watching the seniors at Hualalai.  I looked up the Four Seasons resort and they have OneWheels to rent for $150.  Oh yeah... $350 for a round of golf.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Watching the seniors at Hualalai.  I looked up the Four Seasons resort and they have OneWheels to rent for $150.  Oh yeah... $350 for a round of golf.

Still cheaper than a round at Pebble Beach. Seems like a good deal. But I'd let you ride mine at our next meet up for free. I might even throw in a beer, also known as balance juice. 

WITB:

9 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Still cheaper than a round at Pebble Beach. Seems like a good deal. But I'd let you ride mine at our next meet up for free. I might even throw in a beer, also known as balance juice. 

Old people don't have very good balance; might take a lot of juice!!  I'd give it a try though.

• 6 months later...

Just an update on my experience... I'm about a month shy of having my Onewheel for 2 years and have played just under 350 rounds and logged nearly 8000 miles! I'm 62 years old, so don't let age stop you. I ride my Onewheel about a mile to get to the course, play 18, then ride home. I usually have over 40% charge remaining. Since wearing out the original slick Vega tire, I'm now riding my 4th treaded tire. It makes a huge difference on the golf course! Also, for those who've asked about using a push cart, I highly recommend carrying a light bag. I play to a 1 handicap and carry 12 clubs. I also wear sneakers or hiking boots instead of golf shoes. You can learn more from other Onewheel golfers over on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/369907551097707.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option could be to just use an electric scooter on the golf course. It has more stability and I can even walk along with the scooter like pulling a trolley if the battery dies. I usually walk with it when I am talking to someone who is also walking or if I am on soft ground.

GT.jpg

15 hours ago, gji2021 said:

Another option could be to just use an electric scooter on the golf course. It has more stability and I can even walk along with the scooter like pulling a trolley if the battery dies. I usually walk with it when I am talking to someone who is also walking or if I am on soft ground.

GT.jpg

I'm impressed that the tires are wide enough to not dig into the ground. I'd think with you on it they would leave a groove in the ground behind you. But if your course is firm enough, go get em. 

WITB:

• 2 months later...

Future Motion (the company that makes these) just announced 2 new versions. So for those of you that were holding off on getting one until the range had been increased to do 54 in a day, you are in luck. The new GT version is good for ~32 miles on pavement, or about 16 miles around a golf course, which depending on your course would be good for 54 or even 72 holes. 

The new Pint X is basically what I have, but now less expensive. And it is good for 27-36 holes. 

You can even order them with a treaded tire, which is nice. Life is short, learn to float. 

WITB:

On 8/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, hole-in-onewheel said:

Just an update on my experience... I'm about a month shy of having my Onewheel for 2 years and have played just under 350 rounds and logged nearly 8000 miles! I'm 62 years old, so don't let age stop you. I ride my Onewheel about a mile to get to the course, play 18, then ride home. I usually have over 40% charge remaining. Since wearing out the original slick Vega tire, I'm now riding my 4th treaded tire. It makes a huge difference on the golf course! Also, for those who've asked about using a push cart, I highly recommend carrying a light bag. I play to a 1 handicap and carry 12 clubs. I also wear sneakers or hiking boots instead of golf shoes. You can learn more from other Onewheel golfers over on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/369907551097707.

That's impressive.  I'm 60 and rode @Thin2winOnewheel for about 80 feet 😄

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)