Wedge Grinds for Northern California

Agent Mike

I’m trying to learn more about wedge grinds people play and why. Do you play grinds that are just suited to your swing, or also to the conditions you play in? I’m currently playing two wedges and thinking of going to 3. My pitching wedge is 47 and part of my blade iron set, 52-08 Vokey SM4, and a 56-11 Vokey(pre SM4). I’m thinking of a 60 but not sure on the grind I should try. Also thinking to replace my 56 possibly, but not before I get a 60.

Angone have any suggestions?

WITB Cobra F9 Speed Back w/Fujikura Atmos x70 black, Cobra 🐍 Fly Z Pro Irons 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60.04L(thanks MGS for the lesson), Ping Ketsch Putter, Ping Pioneer Bag, Tri Swivel II Cart. 

It’s a combination of swing and course conditions. 

Do the wedge fit on vokey.com and see what the fit you to

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I may be wrong, but as I work on my short game and try to learn more about wedges I think grinds are used to help you achieve different shots around the green. With solid fundamentals, a player can accomplish most shots with any wedge.

As you become more accomplished, you can tweak your bounce based on course conditions or you can tweak grinds to make the club more forgiving on specialty shots.

You should have a high and a low bounce option in your bag. Typically you may see high bounce 56 and low bounce 60.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

I may be wrong, but as I work on my short game and try to learn more about wedges I think grinds are used to help you achieve different shots around the green. With solid fundamentals, a player can accomplish most shots with any wedge.

As you become more accomplished, you can tweak your bounce based on course conditions or you can tweak grinds to make the club more forgiving on specialty shots.

You should have a high and a low bounce option in your bag. Typically you may see high bounce 56 and low bounce 60.

To pile on to good advice, I think that grind can optimize the way you would like to play short shots. Lots of good info out there, but I like a lot of grind relief so I can lay the face open and not get the bounce snagged in grainy grass. Look into something like a C-grind if you like to play shots with a open face or in sticky grass. Minimal grind relief make turf interaction slightly more stable on shots with a square or closed face similar to how large sole irons help steep swings. 

• Like 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce