Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra F7 or F9 3 woods?

Hi all, I have a TM M2 3 wood that I sometimes hit well but 40% of the time I dig into the ground as I have a negative angle of attack. I was looking to pick up a Cobra F7 3 wood as Rick Sheils uses one and swears by it. I was wondering which is better the F7 or F9 or even the Speed Zone fairways? I was thinking that the rails will help keep the club from digging? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

RV

In my :ping-small: Pioneer riding on a Riksha Cart

:ping-small: G400 LST: Alta CB Xstiff
:taylormade-small:: M2 3 wood: 

:titelist-small:: 818 H1 Hybrid 3: Project X Even Flow Blue 85
:taylormade-small: 2019 P790: KBS Tour
:ping-small: Glide 2: 52/56/60:
:EVNROLL:: ER2

You know that old golf maxim - once you find a 3 wood that works for you make them pry it out of your dead cold hands.... that's me and the King F7. j

I haven't tried the others and I'm sure they're great but that club is money for me off the deck and on the tee. It has helped me have more eagle chances in the last couple years than I've had my entire golfing life. The rails are the real deal.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On 6/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, vman1964 said:

Hi all, I have a TM M2 3 wood that I sometimes hit well but 40% of the time I dig into the ground as I have a negative angle of attack. I was looking to pick up a Cobra F7 3 wood as Rick Sheils uses one and swears by it. I was wondering which is better the F7 or F9 or even the Speed Zone fairways? I was thinking that the rails will help keep the club from digging? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

RV

I would think again if the regular F7 or F9 Cobra fairway wood is the right club for you.

If you are really steep into the ball and dig the club this means you usually have high strikes on the face. Rails on Cobra fairway wood prevent the club from digging but not from high strikes and Cobra fairway woods have the most shallow faces on the market (noticably shallower than taylormade M2 fairway wood). This means if you switch to shallower face fairway wood you could see more high floaters and sky-ed shots and I don't think this is what you want (for more information see a youtube video TXG made about fairway wood face depth)

If I were in your position and will be set on Cobra fairway wood I would look more into Cobra Speedzone Big Tour fairway with slightly deeper face and bigger overall profile. If you are steep into the ball this usually requires lower loft so Big Tour should be in your alley (for more information see a youtube video TXG made about playing the right loft in fairway wood).

I would suggest that if you have a chance to test Cobra Speedzone Big Tour (or even better have access to a good fitter), take it! I would certainly go this way.

This is my 0.02 USD. Hope this helps.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

Rick Shiels swears by his Cobra F7 3 wood.  Loves the rails along the bottom.

Cobra Speedzone 9.0*, Graphite Design Tour AD-MT 6x shaft

Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* 3 wood, Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 7x shaft

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95x Hybrid shaft

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 iron, KBS $-Taper 120 shaft

Srixon Z565 4 iron, Srizon Z765 5 iron - PW,KBS C-Taper 120 shaft

Callaway MD5 Jaws 50*/10 S grind

Callaway Jaws Full Toe 56*

Scotty Cameron Futura 5w

Srixon Z-Star XV balls