Favorite Golf Shirt

TCUfrog

Looking to find an authentic good quality linen, not cotton, shirt for next summer.  I've heard real linen is cooler in summer and warmer in winter and the older they get the better they perform.  Sounds like just the thing for a walk-carry player.  I know linen shirts can get quite expensive so looking for insights from one's direct golf experience with them, or from just regular wear, as well as supplier sources. 

• Hmmm 1

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

Living at the end of US1 in Key West, I rely exclusively on moisture wicking shirts.  I have a range of manufactures in my closet from Ping, Adidas, Under Armour and FootJoy.    Nothing what others considered high end shirts.  Because of the combination of environment (sun, heat, sweat, etc.) and how rough I can be with shirts, I've saved money in the past by buying excellent condition used golf shirts on eBay.  That way I feel a little better when they get damaged, and they need to be tossed.

The only exception is a recent purchase of a Peter Millar shirt.  This past July, my wife and I were in St. Andrews (a week before The Open).  My wife wanted to buy me a shirt with the Old Course emblem.  She handpicked this Peter Millar for my birthday.  I've had customer made dress shirts and other high-end products in the past, but I think this was the most expensive shirt I've ever owned.  I love the pattern, feel and fit of the Peter Millar shirt.  However, there's a part of me that is afraid to wear it!  Somehow, Wayne's World keeps going through my head with "I'm not worthy....I'm not worthy!"

1255079701_StAndrewsShirt.jpg.e1cf9aaa8a9c6bd58de91d5c4669d0e3.jpg

• Like 1
Ping G400 SFT with a Matrix MFS 5 Korean Prototype Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 45 grams senior shaft.  
Mizuno GT180 with a Tensei CK Blue 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-W, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  Evnroll ER10 Outback

Posted earlier, but an update. I will never buy another Travis Matthews polo shirt again. I have two, the collars always look like crap, and they run (very) small and even shrink a little (nowadays that's unnecessary). Maybe they're great if you're a young buck in top shape who is looking for tight fitting clothes (with a crappy collar), but not for larger or even average sized guys IMO. I am far happier with all my Nike, UA, Callaway polos than the TMs I paid way more for!

I have a pair to TM Beck shorts too. Liked them better, but I am noticing UV is attacking the color for more than any other brand of shorts I own (Callaway, Adidas, IZOD, WH).

I don't see any reason to pay a premium for TM...YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

• 3 weeks later...

I know there are a lot of Peter Millar fans in this forum (and some who think they are too expensive to sweat in...) for the fans you might enjoy this GD article about them - https://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-golf-shirt-brands-have-staying-power-survival-of-the-fitted

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 9/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, MacTourney said:

Looking to find an authentic good quality linen, not cotton, shirt for next summer.  I've heard real linen is cooler in summer and warmer in winter and the older they get the better they perform.  Sounds like just the thing for a walk-carry player.  I know linen shirts can get quite expensive so looking for insights from one's direct golf experience with them, or from just regular wear, as well as supplier sources. 

Linen shrinks more than cotton and wrinkles badly; must steam iron.  I'm sure it looks great when properly cared for, but I'm not going to work that hard to wear a shirt.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”