TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golfing in non-golf shoes

gavinski91

Do you do it, and are you successful?

Used to golf in your standard Nike running shoes, and my feet would be all over the place off every tee. Still don't own golf shoes, but I wear my Salomon Speedcross 4 GTX trail runners and they are great - the lugs are spaced far enough apart and are long enough apart that I don't have any issues. Plus they're way more comfortable than the Adidas spikeless shoes I tried for a round and a half.

What non-golf shoes do you golf in?

opplanet-salomon-speedcross-4-gtx-trail-running-shoe-mens-sky-diver-indigo-bunting-black-14-l40660400-14-main.jpeg

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

For comfort ( i walk) I wear running shoes and don’t seem to have any problems with traction. I would be interested in trying out some of the spikeless options that are coming out now as they seem to be more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I tried playing in my running shoes a couple times as a test before buying spikeless golf shoes, but I wouldn’t do it otherwise. Might get away with it when it’s dry if you don’t swing very hard. Decent golf shoes provide better traction and stability than running shoes. There are comfortable spikeless and even spiked golf shoes. I wear spikeless golf shoes if the ground is completely dry, spikes if it’s wet or raining.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I played this last weekends round in a pair of adidas icon 4 trainer turn shoes. It was an early morning round with lots of dew on the ground and I had no issues with slipping. They were extremely more comfortable than my Nike golf shoes. It is the route I will be going from now on.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I found out the hard way, running shoes don't offer enough lateral stability.  Walking a hilly layout and/or the motion of the golf swing, running shoes allow too much lateral movement.  In my case, a sort of rolling of the left foot that over time resulted in a knee injury.  I'm all better now but the process was a painful one and painful lesson to learn.

I've tried, and it's a no-go for me. I walked an early morning round, forgetting that I had pulled my Nikes out of the trunk to clean them off. I was sliding everywhere, between tee boxes and trying to walk up hills I made sure to never forget my shoes again.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It was wet out the other day and I slipped when I was hitting an iron off the tee on a par 3 while wearing spikeless golf shoes. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was wearing non-golf shoes, would have probably fell over.

Stuck it on the green even with the slip 😃

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 6/2/2020 at 6:20 AM, sixcat said:

I found out the hard way, running shoes don't offer enough lateral stability.  Walking a hilly layout and/or the motion of the golf swing, running shoes allow too much lateral movement.  In my case, a sort of rolling of the left foot that over time resulted in a knee injury.  I'm all better now but the process was a painful one and painful lesson to learn.

I'll echo that. I've rolled my left ankle more than once on damp driving ranges and my knees get sore when in trainers, for me it's not worth the long term damage. (Or the embarrassment in front of your buddies)

Driver: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - 9.5 Diamana XS 60

3W & 3Hy: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC OS II - Stiff -  Standard loft/lie

Wedges::callaway-small: MD3 S-Grind 52, 56

Putter: :taylormade-small: TP Ardmore 3 - L Neck

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1X

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Fort Worth, TX- RH - 10 Handicap

• 2 weeks later...

Does this count? Have done it a couple of times for various reasons...

IMG_4185.JPG

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

• 7 months later...

To be honest, I don’t understand at all why you need to sort your shoes according to different sports. Many athletes train in the most comfortable shoes for them and do not try to comply with the norms. Likewise, in everyday life, each person should wear such shoes in which he is really comfortable. For example, I use tennis shoes to play golf because they are comfortable for long walks and go well with my tracksuit. I also wear tennis shoes for evening walks and use them in the gym because they are comfortable. Tennis shoes are versatile and great for everyday use and don't bother me at all that I'm not wearing the right shoes.

Edited by Korann

On 6/1/2020 at 11:35 PM, gavinski91 said:

Used to golf in your standard Nike running shoes, and my feet would be all over the place off every tee. Still don't own golf shoes, but I wear my Salomon Speedcross 4 GTX trail runners and they are great - the lugs are spaced far enough apart and are long enough apart that I don't have any issues. Plus they're way more comfortable than the Adidas spikeless shoes I tried for a round and a half.

opplanet-salomon-speedcross-4-gtx-trail-running-shoe-mens-sky-diver-indigo-bunting-black-14-l40660400-14-main.jpeg

For a couple years I played golf in Mizuno trail running shoes.  At the time, I was a huge Mizuno fanboy and wanted Mizuno golf shoes but they obviously arent available in the states, so those were the next best thing.

They actually worked quite well and I wouldnt hesitate to do the same thing again if I didnt want traditional golf shoes (saddle shoes).

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 6/1/2020 at 10:35 PM, gavinski91 said:

It’s funny you posted about the Salomon shoes as I’ve been eyeing those and wondering about their comfort. Years ago, in the very early 90’s, I used to play my rounds in NB trail running shoes. I’m all about comfort, so I don’t care what kind of shoes they are!

Good to know about these! Have you tried other Salomons? Any drawbacks, sizing issues, etc?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, Korann said:

To be honest, I don’t understand at all why you need to sort your shoes according to different sports. Many athletes train in the most comfortable shoes for them and do not try to comply with the norms.

One can’t play hoops in running shoes since they’re not built for lateral stability, and one definitely can’t play soccer/football in tennis shoes. Depending on the type of training, athletes will match to shoes that give the needed support, cushioning.

Golf, though, for sure, all one needs is traction, comfort, and possibly waterproofing....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 6/1/2020 at 9:35 PM, gavinski91 said:

Other than at the range (an even then not too often) I'll wear my everyday tennis shoe.  Those look pretty good and, seemingly provide great lateral support and traction.  My only question would be how the treads might adversely affect softer greens?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I am sort of function over fashion, but still I like to look good on course.

I have 3 pairs of golf shoes all new balance all waterproof and all super comfortable. 

Spikeless grey

Spikeless white

I wear these on nice clean days where its not too soft or muddy. 

Spiked black shoes 

I wear these in wet or soft days. Better traction in wet or lose soil. 

I play often so I try to alternate shoes so i do not wear same shoe two days in row. Call me old school,  but the trend these days  to ignore dress codes bothers me. Ever sit in restaurant and see a man wearing a hat at dinner table?  I was raised that men take off there hats inside and especially at dinner table or when meeting a woman.  No offense to anyone's preference, but for me wearing sneakers to a golf course is like wearing a t-shirt or cut off jeans.  

There is a dress code for golf and its embarrassing to see people dress like they are doing yard work. Lol, man do I  sound uptight or what...sorry. .

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

2 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

I am sort of function over fashion, but still I like to look good on course.

I have 3 pairs of golf shoes all new balance all waterproof and all super comfortable. 

Spikeless grey

Spikeless white

I wear these on nice clean days where its not too soft or muddy. 

Spiked black shoes 

I wear these in wet or soft days. Better traction in wet or lose soil. .

Same exact set-up and usage. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Update since June: I've converted from spikeless dry/spikes wet to spikeless all the time over the past 6 months. With the comfort, stability and traction of my CodeChaos I don't see any reason to use non-golf shoes. That said one of my buds plays in cushiony New Balance walking shoes (NOT golf) and another plays in low cut Merrell hiking shoes - to each his/her own.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

17 hours ago, PMookie said:

It’s funny you posted about the Salomon shoes as I’ve been eyeing those and wondering about their comfort. Years ago, in the very early 90’s, I used to play my rounds in NB trail running shoes. I’m all about comfort, so I don’t care what kind of shoes they are!

Good to know about these! Have you tried other Salomons? Any drawbacks, sizing issues, etc?

I find that they tend to run a bit long (they advertise their size 10 as an EU44, while most other brands IME say it's an EU43) and the width doesn't work for everyone. The stock insoles in mine eventually collapsed as well, but by that point the lugs were worn down to almost nothing and they had a few hundred miles on harsh trails on them. Since I started this thread I've replaced them with a pair of Hoka One One Speedgoats, which have a similar stack height and lug design but cushier foam in the midsole and a bit less stiff (and fit the shape of my feet a bit better). I've also always found that GoreTex does a better job keeping my feet dry than any other alternatives.

One downside though is that the lugs are actually quite soft - they have no problem gripping in wet or muddy conditions, but will wear down very fast if you do a lot of walking on pavement. If the course you play has paved cart paths and you walk them often, you could very easily go through a pair in a single season - not something you want to do with $150 shoes!

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Other than at the range (an even then not too often) I'll wear my everyday tennis shoe.  Those look pretty good and, seemingly provide great lateral support and traction.  My only question would be how the treads might adversely affect softer greens?

The tread shape does have sharp edges, but the rubber is actually quite soft. If you were to sprint on the green, or run on and come to a sudden stop you could possibly cause some damage, but if you're just walking it won't be any different than most spikeless shoes.

To be clear I don't think I would suggest going out and buying trail runners specifically for golfing (unless you have foot issues that you're trying to address and they happen to be the best solution). But as per Korann's comment above, if you're like me and do as much or more trail running and hiking as you do golfing, it makes sense to have one less pair of shoes in the closet.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS