Golfing in non-golf shoes

On 1/26/2021 at 12:25 PM, gavinski91 said:

I find that they tend to run a bit long (they advertise their size 10 as an EU44, while most other brands IME say it's an EU43) and the width doesn't work for everyone. The stock insoles in mine eventually collapsed as well, but by that point the lugs were worn down to almost nothing and they had a few hundred miles on harsh trails on them. Since I started this thread I've replaced them with a pair of Hoka One One Speedgoats, which have a similar stack height and lug design but cushier foam in the midsole and a bit less stiff (and fit the shape of my feet a bit better). I've also always found that GoreTex does a better job keeping my feet dry than any other alternatives.

One downside though is that the lugs are actually quite soft - they have no problem gripping in wet or muddy conditions, but will wear down very fast if you do a lot of walking on pavement. If the course you play has paved cart paths and you walk them often, you could very easily go through a pair in a single season - not something you want to do with $150 shoes!

The tread shape does have sharp edges, but the rubber is actually quite soft. If you were to sprint on the green, or run on and come to a sudden stop you could possibly cause some damage, but if you're just walking it won't be any different than most spikeless shoes.

To be clear I don't think I would suggest going out and buying trail runners specifically for golfing (unless you have foot issues that you're trying to address and they happen to be the best solution). But as per Korann's comment above, if you're like me and do as much or more trail running and hiking as you do golfing, it makes sense to have one less pair of shoes in the closet.

I was looking at my trail running shoes compared to my spikeless golf shoes and I think the big difference is nub size and distribution. Golf shoes seem to have a larger density of smaller spikes while my trail runners have a smaller density of big spikes. I imagine from a weight distribution standpoint on a soft green the trail runners would probably dig in a bit more than the golf shoes

• Like 1

Right Handed

Ping G410 LST 9 degree X flex ping tour shaft 75G

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5  X flex Evenflow black 85G

Taylormade Gapr low 19 degree X flex KBS hybrid 80G

Titleist 714 AP2 4-9 iron +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM6 46  +.5 length 1 degree upright Dynamic gold S 300

Vokey SM5 50, 54,  +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM5 58  +.5 length 1 degree upright S high rev 125G

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

Why don’t you just keep your trail shoes on the trail and buy a decent pair of golf shoes?

I have both Spike and spikeless golf shoes. I walk one day a week and ride three. I am very picky about my feet and prefer to wear the proper shoes. I grew up on metal spikes and would wear them today if they were allowed.

I have played with guys who wear Street shoes and notice the imprint they make on the green.....not good. Dave Pelz states the average foursome makes 250 imprints on a green and it takes 90 minutes for the grass to recover. Those wearing athletic spikeless shoes tend to make imprints that can damage the green.

Please wear the sport specific shoes. If you can’t afford them then don’t play.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Love 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

I have more pairs of golf shoes than dress shoes or athletic footwear combined so that solves the problem. 

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I wear golf shoes but know a guy who plays in flip flops because of gout.  He claims he doesn't have problems slipping.

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Why don’t you just keep your trail shoes on the trail and buy a decent pair of golf shoes?

I have both Spike and spikeless golf shoes. I walk one day a week and ride three. I am very picky about my feet and prefer to wear the proper shoes. I grew up on metal spikes and would wear them today if they were allowed.

I have played with guys who wear Street shoes and notice the imprint they make on the green.....not good. Dave Pelz states the average foursome makes 250 imprints on a green and it takes 90 minutes for the grass to recover. Those wearing athletic spikeless shoes tend to make imprints that can damage the green.

Please wear the sport specific shoes. If you can’t afford them then don’t play.

I’m not being an A-Hole, just know that running shoes are not made to hold your foot in place as you move to swing the club.

PXG 0211 w/Project X Evenflo Riptide Regular shaft; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” EVNROLL E6R Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Though not my current setup, I've used Salomon trail runners for both trail running and hiking, and love them to death as they are super comfortable and light. But they would never do it for me on the golf course from looks, feel or grip. Just my personal preference and I need way more support and grip on average surfaces than those provide on the golf course. I found them most helpful in super muddy terrain and dirt/rock, which thankfully isn't mostly what I am playing from on the course.  And so many golf shoes bridge the line anyways between sports but with spikes or a spikeless tread I feel like I can get what I want and not sacrifice the comfort. 

• Like 1

Titleist Ts3 9.5° Even Flow T1100 6.5

3W/5W: Srixon Z F85 HZRDUS Red 6.0

4-PW: Titleist 720 CB NS PRO 1050 GH

Wedges: Vokey SM7 (50°-54°-58°) NS PRO 1050 GH

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

I wear any good sneaker that doesn't have a slick sole, some Skecher models are particularly good.

Wishon 730CL, Driver thru SW
Odyssey stroke lab CS mallet putter.
"World's most forgiving set for old farts"

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I was out in OR/ID for a funeral and my buddy wanted to meet up and play a round but I didn't bring anything with me. 
Popped in to a local store and picked up a cheap pair of LA Gear low top hiking shoes. They actually worked really well. The tread on the bottom was excellent.

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11