TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf-WOD... Lockdown Program

Zen Snake

So this thread will be an unofficial review of the Gold-WOD 6 week lock down (Kettlebell & Dumbbell) Program. I just finished up Scott Stallings 6 week challenge (from Golf-WOD) and thought this program would be a great fit for our community. My plan for this thread is to do a short write up after each workout describing the equipment and weights(lbs) used. Also the difficulty of the programming and possible workarounds, If I'm sore and how it effects my game positively or negatively. This initial post is also to open up the floor to you all and see what other things from this you like to here about or learn about from me while I'm going through and reviewing the program. I'd like to thank @GolfSpy MPR for giving me advise and direction on starting this lil project. I hope ya'll enjoy and interact with me on the journey....  

images.png

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

Interesting .. took a very quick scan through the Golf WOD site and it looks like they have several options on programs, plus you can start at a reasonable price.

@Zen Snake - maybe you can fill is in on some background of your current conditioning and current workout(s) you might do? Thx!

Also - what attracted you to this program vs other online programs?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

14 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Interesting .. took a very quick scan through the Golf WOD site and it looks like they have several options on programs, plus you can start at a reasonable price.

@Zen Snake - maybe you can fill is in on some background of your current conditioning and current workout(s) you might do? Thx!

Also - what attracted you to this program vs other online programs?

I am 4 weeks in to the Scott Stallings beginner program. I learned about Golf WOD from Zen Snake as well. 

It is essentially crossfit for golf. It is a tough, what I would consider high volume workout. I've modified it a bit because I disagree with some of the crossfit principles of things like "as fast as possible". I push myself, but within reason and am not trying to break record times each workout.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

@cksurfdude I looked into a couple different programs, one was from Premier Fitness Systems out of Arizona, but they like allot of others were a bit too spendy. They offer allot of one on ones, or online coaching but financially that wasn't an viable option for me. Plus With my background in personal training (ISSA Certified) I just needed the programing, and Golf-WOD offered just that. My Background is in strength sport I.E Strongman, Powerlifting and Highland games. But golf was my first true love. 2 weeks ago I finished the Scott Stalling program from Golf-WOD and I really enjoyed it. 3 days a week of that program and rowing cardio (on a Concept 2 rower) 30-45 minutes 2 times a week. In addition I would do 2-3 days of putting and chipping for 30-60 min and play 1.5 round a week. One full round and 9 on the local executive course to work on my approach game. this is what my typical week would look like. I hope this answered ur questions. 

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I am 4 weeks in to the Scott Stallings beginner program. I learned about Golf WOD from Zen Snake as well. 

It is essentially crossfit for golf. It is a tough, what I would consider high volume workout. I've modified it a bit because I disagree with some of the crossfit principles of things like "as fast as possible". I push myself, but within reason and am not trying to break record times each workout.

I also agree with this assessment, I will not break down my form for speed. I will try my best to keep my heartrate up and push through the program but form is key, and safety as well. Go at your own pace. This program can be modified to your ability level.

So day one is in the bag. Did 3 different Workouts Of the Day (WOD's) Just to be fair to Golf-WOD I wont be posting the exact WOD's. I feel that wouldn't be the right thing to do. So instead I will post and talk about specific exercises done or if I do post a WOD, it wont be the exact WOD. Alright lets get started, the 3 WOD's for today were a really good push for me. I was drenched by the end of the workout. With a short warmup and review of the WOD's and looking up a few exercises, I spent a total of 65 minutes in the gym. 

Now an exercises from the first WOD I'd like talk about. First the Single leg deadlift, had to look this one up. Looks fairly simple and went too heavy for the first 2 rounds, started off with 44lbs and finished the last 4 rounds with 26lbs. Form over ego every time and remember its ok to start off with one weight and change it half way through, I honestly do it all the time. This exercise is great for building hamstrings, gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, ankles, and the core. I will suggest a solid soled shoe while doing this, no spongy running shoes you don't wanna roll an ankle. Note: barefoot is great too if at home.

Next exercise Id like to talk about was in the 3rd WOD. Again the cool thing about doing these on ur own is the ability to scale the workouts to your ability. Lunges, I hate lunges with a passion especially weighted lunges. Like I discussed with single leg DL a good solid soled shoe is a plus to help with ankle support and to avoid rolling ur ankle. So I scale this one down so I can focus on stability in the movement and to get the most from the exercise that I can. I did TRX curtsey lunges. The TRX curtsy lunges put more emphasis on the glutes of the lunging leg and the TRX helps with balance. I need this because I want to build those small stabilizers and I hate lunges...… I said that right. they suck. But enough of that. they do build great strength in the legs and that what we want.

So in closing I'll say a couple more things. If you wanna try a simple WOD, give this a whirl. 3 rounds of 10 air squats, 10 cross-fit sit-ups, and 10 thrusters. Go at ur own pace, its not a race, and just have fun with fitness.

For folks interested in what one of the full workouts look like, here is an example from the Beginner program. This is a free sample workout from the Golf Wod website.

Screenshot_2020-04-03_at_10.48.24_480x48

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

On 6/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, Zen Snake said:

@cksurfdude I looked into a couple different programs, one was from Premier Fitness Systems out of Arizona, but they like allot of others were a bit too spendy. They offer allot of one on ones, or online coaching but financially that wasn't an viable option for me. Plus With my background in personal training (ISSA Certified) I just needed the programing, and Golf-WOD offered just that. My Background is in strength sport I.E Strongman, Powerlifting and Highland games. But golf was my first true love. 2 weeks ago I finished the Scott Stalling program from Golf-WOD and I really enjoyed it. 3 days a week of that program and rowing cardio (on a Concept 2 rower) 30-45 minutes 2 times a week. In addition I would do 2-3 days of putting and chipping for 30-60 min and play 1.5 round a week. One full round and 9 on the local executive course to work on my approach game. this is what my typical week would look like. I hope this answered ur questions. 

Good info, thx. Having been thru PT enough times, I appreciate what you guys do .. and getting an exercise recommendation from a qualified .. especially golfing 😉 .. source is a big plus.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I was really interested in this during the lockdown. However there was quite a bit of equipment I didnt have. Now that our gyms are open again I would like to see your reviews and possibly put it into play

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

23 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

I was really interested in this during the lockdown. However there was quite a bit of equipment I didnt have. Now that our gyms are open again I would like to see your reviews and possibly put it into play

Just keep an eye on this thread, I'll be doing 2-3 updates a week if not more. and I'm always open to questions. I want this to be an interactive thread.  

@Zen Snake - what are your goals/outcomes you want to achieve coming out of these programs?

Updated 07/15/2022

11 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

@Zen Snake - what are your goals/outcomes you want to achieve coming out of these programs?

Well I can say while following the Stalling's starter program I noticed my swing felt more consistent and my stamina increased. Being able to play as good on the front as on the back improved. But my major goals are for health reasons. After being placed on blood pressure and cholesterol medications, I realized my workout regiment as well as my diet needed to change. So I've basically been transitioning from a Powerlifter/Strongman to Golfer/Cross fitter. Right now I'm 240 and have lost 5 lbs over the last 7-8 weeks. Id like to lose another 5 lbs by the end of this program. And also the same reason allot of us are on this forum, to be a better golfer.

1 minute ago, Zen Snake said:

Well I can say while following the Stalling's starter program I noticed my swing felt more consistent and my stamina increased. Being able to play as good on the front as on the back improved. But my major goals are for health reasons. After being placed on blood pressure and cholesterol medications, I realized my workout regiment as well as my diet needed to change. So I've basically been transitioning from a Powerlifter/Strongman to Golfer/Cross fitter. Right now I'm 240 and have lost 5 lbs over the last 7-8 weeks. Id like to lose another 5 lbs by the end of this program. And also the same reason allot of us are on this forum, to be a better golfer.

Nice, what are you current swing speeds like? You are already plenty strong

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Nice, what are you current swing speeds like? You are already plenty strong

115-118 on avrg for my drover mid 90s on my irons. I'm more than strong enough for sure. I don't know many people my age who squat over 400 and deadlift over 500. But its hard on the body and that type of training takes up allot of my time. Its just time for change. 

@Zen Snake good luck with this!

I'm interested to hear your thoughts coming out of Power lifting to more of a CrossFit style of working out and conditioning as well as the impact on your game.

This seems like a good program for increasing general fitness and overall well-being, but not solely focused on increasing golf specific fitness. Is that an accurate statement?

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

[mention=91905]Zen Snake[/mention] good luck with this!
I'm interested to hear your thoughts coming out of Power lifting to more of a CrossFit style of working out and conditioning as well as the impact on your game.
This seems like a good program for increasing general fitness and overall well-being, but not solely focused on increasing golf specific fitness. Is that an accurate statement?
No, the programs are designed to be golf specific, this one is just more geared for minimal equipment.

Sent from my LG-H931 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

15 hours ago, Zen Snake said:

No, the programs are designed to be golf specific, this one is just more geared for minimal equipment.

Oh, I don't assume because of maximum or minimum equipment it means it is or isn't golf specific. I guess my question wasn't super specific.

I'm looking at the set and rep numbers on the sample workout @dlow206 showed and it seems to be really intense. It's similar to workouts I did when I was playing soccer to help build endurance while performing moves that require lots of power.

I've heard arguments that since golf is a sport where you perform minimal full power moves (14 drives) and have a long break between those power moves, a workout structured like this doesn't translate to the course.

I'm no expert, so I am curious your thoughts having a power lifting background as well as your personal training background if this thought process makes sense.

If I'm not being clear, let me know. It is slightly early in the morning and my ability to communicate clearly may be a little hazy right now.

1 hour ago, palvord said:

Oh, I don't assume because of maximum or minimum equipment it means it is or isn't golf specific. I guess my question wasn't super specific.

I'm looking at the set and rep numbers on the sample workout @dlow206 showed and it seems to be really intense. It's similar to workouts I did when I was playing soccer to help build endurance while performing moves that require lots of power.

I've heard arguments that since golf is a sport where you perform minimal full power moves (14 drives) and have a long break between those power moves, a workout structured like this doesn't translate to the course.

I'm no expert, so I am curious your thoughts having a power lifting background as well as your personal training background if this thought process makes sense.

If I'm not being clear, let me know. It is slightly early in the morning and my ability to communicate clearly may be a little hazy right now.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/pga-tour-takes-the-gym-on-the-road-for-golfers/article_da7db14c-b411-5370-b463-f47300e1b3f0.html

here is a quick read for you that u might find interesting.

1 hour ago, palvord said:

ill say this as to the intensity of  these workouts. Depending on the pace and the weights you use, it can be intense. If you pull back the weight and the rate that you complete your WOD's you can decrease the intensity. Its up to u if u go hard or if u take ur time. For example, I could do no weight and increase the speed of the workout and help increase my cardiovascular output. Or I could slow down go a little heavier on the weights and get a good muscular burn. 

To ur question on minimal powerful movements. Ill explain it like this. in powerlifting you don't just squat, or bench or deadlift. you work those small supporting muscle that make those lifts possible. that same with golf. We want to try and make sure that the core is strong enough and has the stamina to make those powerful swings over and over again without fatigue setting in.  So another way we could look at is, do you have the stamina to hit any ware from 500-1500 balls in practice? cause the pro's do! It takes endurance to do that. Doing that in practice means u should be able to hit 70-100 balls in a round without getting tired.

I hope this helps with your questions. If not just lemme know  

33 minutes ago, Zen Snake said:

ill say this as to the intensity of  these workouts. Depending on the pace and the weights you use, it can be intense. If you pull back the weight and the rate that you complete your WOD's you can decrease the intensity. Its up to u if u go hard or if u take ur time. For example, I could do no weight and increase the speed of the workout and help increase my cardiovascular output. Or I could slow down go a little heavier on the weights and get a good muscular burn. 

To ur question on minimal powerful movements. Ill explain it like this. in powerlifting you don't just squat, or bench or deadlift. you work those small supporting muscle that make those lifts possible. that same with golf. We want to try and make sure that the core is strong enough and has the stamina to make those powerful swings over and over again without fatigue setting in.  So another way we could look at is, do you have the stamina to hit any ware from 500-1500 balls in practice? cause the pro's do! It takes endurance to do that. Doing that in practice means u should be able to hit 70-100 balls in a round without getting tired.

I hope this helps with your questions. If not just lemme know  

That logic makes complete sense. 

I like the idea that having your endurance and power levels above the "required" threshold so when it is actually game time you don't have to worry about any semblance of fatigue.

Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to hearing how you progress with this.

34 minutes ago, palvord said:

That logic makes complete sense. 

I like the idea that having your endurance and power levels above the "required" threshold so when it is actually game time you don't have to worry about any semblance of fatigue.

Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to hearing how you progress with this.

I also think things are a little less black and white when it comes to power vs. endurance, especially when thinking about the golf swing. Things like box jumps, while they may not be pure power exercises like a deadlift, they do help with your explosiveness which will have a benefit for your golf swing.

Updated 07/15/2022

26 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I also think things are a little less black and white when it comes to power vs. endurance, especially when thinking about the golf swing. Things like box jumps, while they may not be pure power exercises like a deadlift, they do help with your explosiveness which will have a benefit for your golf swing.

Very true. Box jumps, med ball throws, KB swings are all good things to help with explosion which translates to the golf swing.

And the programing is full of these movements.

Very true. Box jumps, med ball throws, KB swings are all good things to help with explosion which translates to the golf swing.

(Day 2, Week 1) Ok another  3 WOD day. Didn't push to hard and still got done in about 55 with setup and looked up only one exercise. Today I'll talk about two terminologies that you will see on a regular basis in the programing. 1. As Many Reps As Possible - (AMRAP) 2. Every Minute On the Minute - (EMOM)... Lets look at AMRAP, first it can be looked at in 2 way. As many reps as possible, or as many rounds as possible in a specific time.

For example a 15 min AMRAP could look like this.

10 reps of exercise A, 10 reps of exercise B, and 20 of exercise C. This would be an example of As Many ROUNDS As Possible. Completing exercises A,B and C would be considered a round, and so on and so forth.  

Next would be a 5 min AMRAP. This is a little more simplistic.

AMRAP in 5 min of exercise Z, As Many REPS As Possible. you basically have 5 min to complete as many reps as you can. Super simple. sorry if I'm being redundant on this one. I just want to be clear on the definition on this one.

Now EMOM, I'll try and keep this one as simple as I can. Every minute on the minute you complete an exercise or rep range on set exercise. So it could look like this.

EMOM for 12 min. Exercise  (A) 10 pushups, Exercise (B) 10 Air Squats, a total of 60 pushups and 60 air squats should be completed of the 12 min EMOM  so you have one minute complete 10 pushups, then during the start of the second min you have that minute to finish the air squats, and then you repeat for the full 12 min. You will not e working out the entire time, if it takes you 30 seconds to do the pushups then u have 30 seconds of rest before the air squat and so on and so for.

I hope I've been detailed and clear on these two acronym's, If you have questions please just ask. Now more about the programing and yesterday training.

I got a good sweat during yesterdays WOD's allot of light chest activation exercises. The one I liked the most and had to look up was called Kettlebell/Dumbbell (KB/DB) BURPEE DEADLIFT. I know this sound like a lot but it doesn't have to be. If you break your movements down individually its quite easy, you can find many videos on youtube showing this movement. I feel like I could add this movement into any programing and see great cardiovascular and strength improvements from this movement depending on how its used.

Side note another good movement used in todays program is the Farmers walk. From previous experience if your short on time, this can be turned into a workout in itself. Multiple sets and distances, so many options in how this can be used. for example you could get 15 lbs DB's and just go for a walk, a long walk. Improves grip, builds stamina, posture is hey. Keeping head and chest up while walking. Its something from strongman that this program does that I love.

Hope ya'll are enjoying the review, and enjoy the weekend. 

I am planning to start the 12 week power program tomorrow, but I will modify it slightly for at home workouts.

Updated 07/15/2022

The 12 week power program is legit, first workout was a tough workout. I modified the front squats to be goblet squats. Need to boost my power, was only using a 50 pound dumbbell. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Is there a link for the program, I am having trouble finding it. Minimal equipment is something I need and am not able to get to the gym like I used to. Thanks in advance!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

https://www.golf-wod.com/products/6-week-pre-season-program-kb-db-only

Here ya go.

Is there a link for the program, I am having trouble finding it. Minimal equipment is something I need and am not able to get to the gym like I used to. Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, Zen Snake said:

Much obliged 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!