TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lessons? Yes, but how do you determine value?

Hey All,

First Post on MGS!

Over the past year and a half I started playing golf frequently (usually at the course 3x a week between range sessions and playing rounds).  I use Arccos to track my rounds so I have a general idea of my game.  I have improved from a 27 hcp whacking it everywhere to a 18.8 hcp.  I generally play bogey golf with a few pars and doubles thrown in there.  I have never taken any lessons in my life.  I am pretty athletic and up until this point I improved by just tweaking things on my own.  I want to improve my game drastically and believe it's time for lessons or instruction.  I need some fundamentals.

My question to you all is: How do i ensure I am getting the best value for lessons?  I know golf brands market the hell out of every other aspect of the game and I am learning lessons are no different.  I dont mind giving someone my money, I just want to make sure it's worth it.  I live near Orlando, Florida so every form of lesson and coaching is available.  Some of my choices include:

• Fancy Golf Academies - The Leadbetter Academy is a prime example
  • Normal Club Pros - There are 100 courses within an hr drive from me and each course offers lessons with their pros
  • Retail Stores - TopGolf, PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy, ClubChampion, and every other brick & mortar golf store are located here and they all offer lessons
  • Digital - Youtube or subscription services like MeandMyGolf (I do live in a community with a course so I have access to a driving range whenever necessary)

Please help me apply the MGS model on golf products to services like lessons and make sure I dont get ripped off (that much).

What would you do if you were me?

Driver: default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg.5a46268ca12328475fd752152fc4c9f9.jpg Speedzone Xtreme 10.5° Ventus Blue 6 Stiff

3 Wood: default_callaway-small.jpg.14ff3e8c0cfb3f1ea12291d143b9d8c2.jpg XR 15° Project X LZ 50 Stiff

3 Hybrid:default_callaway-small.jpg.14ff3e8c0cfb3f1ea12291d143b9d8c2.jpg Steelhead XR16 19° Project X SD Stiff

Irons: default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg.5a46268ca12328475fd752152fc4c9f9.jpg King F9 Speedback KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Wedges: default_cleveland-small.jpg.bce0257eb703046e93feb8255808ab50.jpg CBX 52°, 56° ,60° Dynamic Gold 115

Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.5d28361175b74c5e9e3da2c80aec4b53.jpgWhite Smoke Big Fontana 35"

Ball: default_srixon-small.jpg.26f925d4dc56727e04dc68d7bfa37bb9.jpgZ-star

I'd go online, check reviews of courses and pros, and then schedule a few single lessons with a few of them to see which ones I clicked with. Every pro is going to have their own personal approach to lessons and how they convey info. The first pro I worked with was not a good experience. The second one was light years better. Try a few out and make a decision based on your own experiences. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Value can only be determined by the individual involved.  

With that said finding an instructor is an interview process to find someone that fits what you are looking to achieve and the method to get there. The price of the lesson doesn’t always equate the quality of instruction. Sometimes one may have to change instructors due to the way things are communicated don’t translate to the way the golfer can understand. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As the others have said, it’s all in getting a qualified pro you can work with. There are good, bad and mediocre as with all professions. I’ve never used anything but full fledged club pros. Teaching golf to beginners is very different than one on one lessons to improve.

Value? To me the only measure I care about is scoring better. I would not expect much from a single lesson, I’d commit to 4 at a minimum, and ideally I’d space them two weeks apart to practice/play in between in the hope of developing new habits. My goal is 1 or fewer swing thoughts when I’m done, the rest has to be habits/instincts.

I tried a local pro and she was really stabbing in the dark, rote guidance, and I didn’t get any benefit working with her for 6 lessons in 6 weeks. I went on to another and he worked wonders with me in 2 lessons, I shot a 77 and a 79 after I began working with him, I hadn’t gone under 80 in years. But for me at least, old (bad) habits always creep back in, so I’d probably have to work with a pro on going to keep my game optimal. And I’m not willing to pay ongoing. 

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on getting to bogey golf so quickly without instruction!  I did the same thing when I started playing at age 45.  However, it was difficult for me to make changes when I had my first lesson, because I had to "unlearn" the bad habits I had engrained into my swing.  I wish I had taken lessons at the beginning, but I thought I was athletic and smart enough to do it on my own.  This was in the age of no computers, let alone social media channels.  I am saying this because when you do get lessons, be prepared for a little difficulty incorporating what the instructor says.

With that said, check with the pros at courses that you frequently play.  As others have said, it's an interview process.  You should be able to sit down with them and discuss how they teach and what your goals are.  This should be free.  If you don't feel comfortable with their personality or like their approach, try elsewhere.  You have to be comfortable with the person.  Make sure they communicate why your need to a certain change to your satisfaction.  They should NOT give you more than one change to work on at a time.  The instructor should be able to analyze your swing and give you a drill that you will need to work on.  If they discuss several swing issues and talk about several drills, it's too much for your brain to handle at once.  A good instructor should not move on with other issues until you have fixed the first issue to the satisfaction of both you and the instructor.

You will get the most out of a lesson if the instructor uses video and shows you what needs to be fixed.  The first lesson should baseline your swing, and be used to compare with future videos.  It's an eye opener.  You can also video yourself and send them to the instructor between lessons for analysis.  See if the instructor will do that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If you are not provided a plan to improve that relates to how you play and the difficulties you face, I would question the value.  In the end, you want to know what to do, how to do, when to do, and why!  If that entire plan isn't present, then they are just training you to swing.  If that is what you want then it is great!!  They should also provide how long it will take, their expectations of you, and your expectations of the coach.  Some coaches solve problems for the player and each lesson is a honey moon.  I personally don't.  I provide enough proof that a change will work and then guide you to discover, learn, and guide your own improvement.  I believe in teaching/coaching self efficacy.  

Just like any business - what is the mission, what is the strategy to win/achieve, what are the skills necessary, how do you train them, and how to you execute them when playing.  Pretty simple.  

Thank you to everyone for your responses!

I now have a pre-lesson appt tomorrow at one of the premier golf clubs near me.  I called them up and basically just explained my game and my experience.  They explained their introduction process and it sounded like a good fit.

Tomorrow's introduction includes a full swing analysis and short game analysis with video and trackman, and also playing 3 holes.  The introduction is free and does not require any commitment. After that we develop a long term plan to improve my game if i wish to proceed.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Driver: default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg.5a46268ca12328475fd752152fc4c9f9.jpg Speedzone Xtreme 10.5° Ventus Blue 6 Stiff

3 Wood: default_callaway-small.jpg.14ff3e8c0cfb3f1ea12291d143b9d8c2.jpg XR 15° Project X LZ 50 Stiff

3 Hybrid:default_callaway-small.jpg.14ff3e8c0cfb3f1ea12291d143b9d8c2.jpg Steelhead XR16 19° Project X SD Stiff

Irons: default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg.5a46268ca12328475fd752152fc4c9f9.jpg King F9 Speedback KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Wedges: default_cleveland-small.jpg.bce0257eb703046e93feb8255808ab50.jpg CBX 52°, 56° ,60° Dynamic Gold 115

Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.5d28361175b74c5e9e3da2c80aec4b53.jpgWhite Smoke Big Fontana 35"

7 minutes ago, SchlangoFett said:

I now have a pre-lesson appt tomorrow at one of the premier golf clubs near me.  I called them up and basically just explained my game and my experience.  They explained their introduction process and it sounded like a good fit.

Tomorrow's introduction includes a full swing analysis and short game analysis with video and trackman, and also playing 3 holes.  The introduction is free and does not require any commitment. After that we develop a long term plan to improve my game if i wish to proceed.

That is without question worth every penny that you're paying for it (yeah, I know, its free).  The pro is obviously confident in his ability to showcase his expertise and resources, confident enough to invest his time with the goal of gaining a long-term client.  And it seems like a great approach from your standpoint, he's not going to try to band-aid something for a quick fix, he wants to actually help you improve in the long term.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

That's quite an introductory offer. Hope the instructor is the right one for you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

35 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

That's quite an introductory offer. Hope the instructor is the right one for you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I hope so as well.  I'm not sure but I believe the intro offer is due to high competition and the saturated market here in Orlando.  There are literally over 100 golf pros within an hr drive from me.  I guess they need the flashy offers to ensure a consistent client flow.  

I suggest anything outdoor with a pro. One on one is fantastic, and you get to actually see ball flight instead of trusting monitors. A pro can fix in 5 minutes what it took you a month to figure out.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I can offer some of my experiences on what not to do, but unfortunately I haven't had a lot of success with instructors.

I started golf in college just going out and having some beers with my roommate.  We weren't any good, but we had fun.  After college I tried playing with my dad, but he was good and played faster than I was capable of playing, so I decided to get some lessons so I could keep up.  My range had an old pro, white hair, cigarette stained hands, really nice guy, who gave me about 6 lessons.  At the time, I had no concept of the golf swing, and the instructor didn't do much to improve that.  We practiced some feel stuff, he tried to get my path more on loop that would promote more of an in to out swing.  He changed my stance for chipping.  That's about all I remember.  I didn't know enough about golf to really improve much, and my instructor focused solely on my swing, and didn't teach me anything conceptual.

While I was in grad school, I was gifted 10 lessons at golftec.  I found the ability to review video of my swing instantly helpful, but I still didn't know enough conceptually about golf to really improve.  We worked on drills, and I felt like I slightly improved, but then my instructor moved to a different golftec, I couldn't get a new slot that worked with my school schedule, and then that golftec closed.  I think I used 6 of the 10 lessons.  Again, not much improvement but a fair amount of wasted money.

This past Fall I really started working on my game.  I've watched hours and hours of instructional videos.  I have a very good concept of what the golf swing should be.  I have the understanding a vocabulary to talk about spine angle, weight shift, pivot/rotation, etc.  I understand face to path.  I've used a trackman and can understand the data.  So now I think I'm equipped to better understand and implement help.  I took a lesson with a golf digest top 100 instructor in my state.  I had about an hour and a half lesson, in which I was told that my takeaway was a little too inside, but that my transition was excellent and that I really ought to be shooting better than I was.  At the end of the lesson the instructor told me to work on my path, and then schedule another lesson when I felt like I was coming more from the inside.  I worked on that a minimum of 3-4 times a week for the next three months, but didn't really make significant progress.  I'd always had an over the top swing, and I just wasn't able to fix it on my own.  I watched every OTT video known to man.  I had some small successes but nothing significant.  Since then, just due to practice, I managed to break 90 for the first time.  I've definitely improved on my own, but I don't feel like I have any consistency.  When I'm tired or just off, I can't quite find my swing.  I think that's because I've gotten better at compensating for faults, but that's still basically my swing, a compensation.  In a few weeks, I plan to go back to that same instructor I saw in the fall.  He can do contactless payment and outdoor lessons, so I think that's a decent option given the pandemic and my current situation.  

So as you can see, I can't tell you what works.  But I can offer some lessons learned.  

1. Understand the golf swing conceptually.  Read Ben Hogan's 5 lessons or something similar.  Watch youtube videos by Chris Ryan, Me and My Golf, etc.  The more you know the better you can understand the instructor.  You need the golf vocabulary to really understand your instructor and not waste their time and your money.
  2. Do not commit to multiple lessons until you have a good and informed opinion of the instructor.  I'm still skeptical about the guy I saw in the fall, and if the next lesson isn't better, I'm going to try to find someone else.  Some instructors aren't great, some aren't a good fit for your learning style, etc.  I would try a few different ones if possible, and then consider committing to multiple lessons.
  3. Only take lessons when you have the time to practice.  The first time around I had plenty of time to practice and did.  In grad school, I didn't really have the time to practice much, and no matter how good those lessons had been, I don't think I would have made the most of it.  

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

On 6/3/2020 at 9:11 PM, Tsmithjr9 said:

I suggest anything outdoor with a pro. One on one is fantastic, and you get to actually see ball flight instead of trusting monitors. A pro can fix in 5 minutes what it took you a month to figure out.

A pro can DIAGNOSE the root cause of all of the symptoms you have mistakenly taken as basic problems in the past, and often do it pretty quickly.  But the pro won't fix a thing, its up to the player to do the work, the drills, the rehearsals, and the practice to make the change.

42 minutes ago, bonvivantva said:
  1. Only take lessons when you have the time to practice.  The first time around I had plenty of time to practice and did.  In grad school, I didn't really have the time to practice much, and no matter how good those lessons had been, I don't think I would have made the most of it.  

See above, I agree that a lesson is unlikely to do much good if you can't put in the work to make the change.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

See above, I agree that a lesson is unlikely to do much good if you can't put in the work to make the change.
Correct Dave, I over simplified.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 years later...

I started with lessons back in the early 1980’s as a young 25 year old. I took his info he taught me all the way until last year. So I’m one who sticks things out and doesn’t jump teacher to teacher. When I saw that I needed to make some changes last year. I found a great local teacher that I put my trust in. With his info, and along with the tour striker plane mate I bought. I’m going to use this knowledge for many seasons to come. I’m one who sticks with things. As I notice many jump from instructor to instructor almost on a weekly basis. I would say look at the results from Other local players that they have worked with. And that will speak volumes. I’m a little leery of online golf learning. One on one is the way to go. This game is so difficult. And learning major golf moves over a video doesn’t seem like it would be a good fit for me 

best of wishes 

I think it really depends up to you on what you want out of a lesson. I truly believe you have two types of people in golf. Those that want to be told what to do and those that want to figure out what to do. I started playing golf 3 years ago and I in everything have always been able to and wanted to do my own research. There is countless videos, articles and information out there that you can learn from but with this comes a lot of trial and error. Trying things just to find out that they don't work. To me this is why I don't believe much in swing lessons because unless you have money to blow on countless coaches till you find the one you CONNECT with it's just a waste of money. Many coaches have a one size fits all concept which is not true we are all different in shape and size, have different flexibility capabilities and golf isn't a sport where one motion works for everyone.

I really enjoy the content that Pozark Golf on YouTube makes because it's based off of feels in golf not so much positions. To me being an athlete growing up it's easier for me to remember a feel than to be think about if my left wrist is suppose to be supinated, shoulder externally rotated and back pronated. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsdU6wpjCe-s-8NR75aTnMQ

When I really want to geek out about a swing or position Athletic Motion Golf is a good channel to understand the why in golf:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AthleticMotionGolf

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

• 3 months later...

Do your research. If you end up playing with a low handicapper or a player that is a stick on the range. Ask them who they got lessons from. The industry is smaller than you think and good instructors names will reoccur. I started golf in 2001-Current going through many many different instructors from my high school golf days to college to adulthood. 

It's a combination of putting in the work yourself, finding the right fit & style of instruction from instructor, and a solid resume & philosophy of the game/teaching