Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Club Head Coming Off?

I've started to notice that the head of my hybrid seems to be pulling away from the ferrule of the club. The space between the two has started to get noticeably bigger the past couple days. Should I be taking this in to get repaired? I don't want my club head to go flying on a random shot and lose it. Or worse, hit someone.

Driver: Cobra F9, stiff, (set 10 deg)

3 Wood: Srixon F65, Reg, (15 deg)

Hybrid: Cobra Baffler TWS, reg, (20 deg)

Irons: Cobra Forged One Length, stiff( 4-PW)

Wedges: 52 deg Ray Cook, 56deg TM Milled Grind, 60 deg Ray Cook

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Xg 2-ball F7

Is the clubhead loose or is the ferrule rising up the shaft? Without seeing the club it isn’t easy for us to diagnose. Don’t try to twist the head because if the epoxy has failed you could damage a graphite shaft.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Is the clubhead loose or is the ferrule rising up the shaft? Without seeing the club it isn’t easy for us to diagnose. Don’t try to twist the head because if the epoxy has failed you could damage a graphite shaft.

If the ferrule might be rising up the shaft would this be an easy fix with just pushing it back down to the club head? Not home right now to confirm this but your reply is giving me some slight hope right now. 

If the ferrule might be rising up the shaft would this be an easy fix with just pushing it back down to the club head? Not home right now to confirm this but your reply is giving me some slight hope right now. 

You might be able to push it down, but it will be tight. You should also add a little bit of epoxy to try and keep it from riding up again. If it is the ferrule, it will probably do it again.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, J Kreger said:

It may not be easy.  If it is, then just place a little epoxy between it and the clubhead.  If not, it's easy to damage the ferrule.  Might be best to take it to someone to repair, if you aren't comfortable with do it.

Is the shaft steel or graphite?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It may not be easy.  If it is, then just place a little epoxy between it and the clubhead.  If not, it's easy to damage the ferrule.  Might be best to take it to someone to repair, if you aren't comfortable with do it.

Is the shaft steel or graphite?

The shaft with my hybrid is graphite. I have been noticing this a little on my newer irons as well which are steel. 

2 hours ago, J Kreger said:

The shaft with my hybrid is graphite. I have been noticing this a little on my newer irons as well which are steel. 

It sounds like the shafts were not prepared properly when assembled.  This same issue was discussed a couple of months ago, so it does happen.  See...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38017-ferrule-creepwhy/?tab=comments#comment-623925

The Jaskanski post in this thread describes what can be done.  He's the expert.  It has to be done carefully to not damage the ferrule.  It doesn't take much heat to soften the ferrule, and anything you grip it with can leave marks.

If you can't get it back in place and secured or the ferrule is damaged, then the head will need to be pulled, a new ferrule put on and the head re-installed.  It's not difficult if you have the tools and knowledge, but if not done right, a graphite shaft can be ruined.  Steel is easier.  If you are not comfortable with it, might be worth seeking a qualified golf repair shop.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It sounds like the shafts were not prepared properly when assembled.  This same issue was discussed a couple of months ago, so it does happen.  See...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38017-ferrule-creepwhy/?tab=comments#comment-623925

The Jaskanski post in this thread describes what can be done.  He's the expert.  It has to be done carefully to not damage the ferrule.  It doesn't take much heat to soften the ferrule, and anything you grip it with can leave marks.

If you can't get it back in place and secured or the ferrule is damaged, then the head will need to be pulled, a new ferrule put on and the head re-installed.  It's not difficult if you have the tools and knowledge, but if not done right, a graphite shaft can be ruined.  Steel is easier.  If you are not comfortable with it, might be worth seeking a qualified golf repair shop.

Thank you so much for the response this is really helpful. Now to get some epoxy!

7 hours ago, J Kreger said:

I think you just need to purchase a new set of clubs. 😀🏌️‍♂️

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

13 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I think you just need to purchase a new set of clubs. 😀🏌️‍♂️

I. WISH.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg