TESTERS WANTED! ×

It is easy sometimes to forget that golf is a physical sport. I've been of the mindset that warming up before a range session or a round is key to playing your best. But sometimes, either due to arriving later to a tee time or a rushed range session, it gets missed. Do you guys warm-up too? Is this something that you find you don't need as much with golf? Am I hurting my game by not doing a warmup in these cases?

Driver: Cobra F9, stiff, (set 10 deg)

3 Wood: Srixon F65, Reg, (15 deg)

Hybrid: Cobra Baffler TWS, reg, (20 deg)

Irons: Cobra Forged One Length, stiff( 4-PW)

Wedges: 52 deg Ray Cook, 56deg TM Milled Grind, 60 deg Ray Cook

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Xg 2-ball F7

I'm starting to think I play better when I don't warm up.  I played 5 straight days without any warm up mostly because of the Covid rules at my club.  IE show up 5 minutes prior to tee time, range closed etc...  4 of those 5 rounds I parred the first three holes.  After that it was pretty much pars, bogeys and doubles the rest of the way.  When I hit balls at home on SkyTrak I see the same thing which is the more I warm up the more I start pulling the ball left.  Not a ton  but enough to mess with a round.  I don't know if it is because my tempo is thrown off as I loosen up or what but something I am aware of and trying to find a solution.  

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'm starting to think I play better when I don't warm up.  I played 5 straight days without any warm up mostly because of the Covid rules at my club.  IE show up 5 minutes prior to tee time, range closed etc...  4 of those 5 rounds I parred the first three holes.  After that it was pretty much pars, bogeys and doubles the rest of the way.  When I hit balls at home on SkyTrak I see the same thing which is the more I warm up the more I start pulling the ball left.  Not a ton  but enough to mess with a round.  I don't know if it is because my tempo is thrown off as I loosen up or what but something I am aware of and trying to find a solution.  

Not hitting a boatload of balls is also easier on the ole coots come game time. Old backs = pain-in the arse when swinging too much.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

8 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Not hitting a boatload of balls is also easier on the ole coots come game time. Old backs = pain-in the arse when swinging too much. emoji45.png

PLUS... when I hit a good shot on the range, it's one less good shot that I could have had on the course!!  😄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I prefer to warmup on the range. Feel like my swing is a little different each day and has to be grooved. Dont need more than 20 balls or so. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

My golf game is a work in progress! When I go to the range I have a tendency to try new things and I don't get to go to the range as often as I would like because I have "A LIFE" that I have pay more attention to than my golf game. So I do probably the worst thing you could do before a round. So if I do go to the range I should just take some normal swings with one swing thought and loosen up. But noooo that's not what I do! Maybe next time I will take my own advice.

image.png.c8ac5b1da30b1f1623e89b8fea290104.png

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

I prefer to warm up before a round with a small bucket of balls to loosen up. Because of COVID and the restrictions to the driving range I havn't been warming up before play and my front 9 has suffered because of it. I bought a resistance band and I now use it to warm up my shoulders and hips before tee off and it seems to help.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I normally hit some balls and putt some to get the speed down, but yesterday afternoon I went out to play 9 holes. Walked to the 10th hole and teed off, after 3 holes I was 2 under, finished the 9 holes at 2 over. Golf is a strange game, I think the more relaxed you are mentally and physically, the better you play.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

Golf is a strange game, I think the more relaxed you are mentally and physically, the better you play.

Truth!     Quote of the day, right there!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Warm up for sure. Stretch the hips really well. Then I hit at the range. It’s nice to see a couple good ones before I head to the course. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I do a 5 minute warm up.  Basically loosening up the legs, hips, and back with dynamic warm-up/stretches.  Once i started doing this, I have much better range sessions and I've never had an issue with tweaking a muscle or anything during an abbreviated range warm up. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

23 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

Warm up for sure. Stretch the hips really well. Then I hit at the range. It’s nice to see a couple good ones before I head to the course. 

I’m with you on seeing a couple good ones. Even if it’s just one good hit off the driver, I’m good. I try and find what is working on the range, even if it’s just from the 10-15 balls I hit, and try to replicate that on the course. Hitting those balls also warms up my muscles and helps me not be as tight.

its tough for me to go cold turkey and expect to know exactly how my swing is today on the first tee. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I really prefer a warm up, more for my back than anything else. It doesn't hurt to see what swing showed up that day either. When there's no range, or I know I won't have time, I'll swing my Orange Whip for a few minutes just to get loose before teeing off. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I usually stretch a bit before I go to the course. If there is time to hit some balls I take my SW, 7 & driver to the practice tee and hope to find something with the driver before heading to the first tee. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I HAVE to warm-up.  Ideally I get up early enough to do some stretching at home before the round.  If there is a range and it's open, I'll hit a small-medium bucket with a heavy emphasis on wedges.  And nearly every round, range or not, I'll go through the Orange Whip protocol.

I tend to swing poorly when I don't turn as well and my hands and arms take over.  Warming up is essential to make sure I'm turning enough.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Maybe I have missed a post or two, but I have not seen a post the identifies what is actually required in a warm up.  What tasks are required on the course?  

1. Tactical decision or strategy.  These are often pre-determined. Choices have already been made based on your strategy standards. 

2. You have to be able to swing so a physical warm up must be employed. 

3. You have to swing your pattern more or less.  Pattern reminder movements. 

4. You need to hit the ground in the same place. Line drill without a ball. 

5. You have to hit the ball solid and in the center of the face.  Hit balls and make the corrections you already know to make to hit it on the face. 

6. You have now warmed up your movement.  

7. Randomize and chose different targets and clubs, possible in playing order until you have played 3 or 4 holes. 

You are now warmed up your ability to make decisions, you have executed shots that meet your strategy, and you have done so in a order that replicates the game you are about to play. 

Outside of the physical warm up, this plan takes about 15 minutes.  

Similar plans should be in place for your wedges and putter.  Great players do this.  It is likely we aren't as good as them so it makes it more important that we do it.  They are better and can get away with less effort. 

Whacking balls in just a maddening waste of time.  Plus, why would you hit it good if your body isn't ready to move.  Doesn't it make it more frustrating to see bad shots when you are preparing to play.  Doubt sucks!  

Creating standards and a procedure just isn't that hard. 

Whenever possible I have three stretches I do, take a half dozen practice swings and then hit a small bucket of balls (usually 6i & driver), and hit the practice putting green (most important IMO) - I can easily do it in 15-20 minutes. When I'm stuck and hit the first tee with no warmup, I do a couple stretches and practice swings and swing easy. Sometimes I get away with it (score OK) and other times my score will suffer for several holes before I get loosened up. One of my former regular courses didn't have a driving range, so I was always starting off cold - never liked that.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I pick up approx 5 mph club head speed by warming up compared to starting cold. Not being able to putt before a round is the biggest frustration as someone who plays at a lot of different courses. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I have to fully stretch and roll at home before I play or go to the range. Then at the range I have my SKLZ Gold Flex and warm-up with that doing a bunch of drills. Then, at minimum, before a round, I’ll hit a small bucket of about 20 balls.

With a back disease, I have to do a lot to get, and keep, loose and to prevent injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX