Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why can't I get any spin on the ball?

When I am close to or around greens I notice my ball never has any spin to make it check up or even when I am taking a full swing with a higher lofted club farther away. Is there some secret to getting the ball to roll back or check up on the green? 

Driver: Cobra F9, stiff, (set 10 deg)

3 Wood: Srixon F65, Reg, (15 deg)

Hybrid: Cobra Baffler TWS, reg, (20 deg)

Irons: Cobra Forged One Length, stiff( 4-PW)

Wedges: 52 deg Ray Cook, 56deg TM Milled Grind, 60 deg Ray Cook

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Xg 2-ball F7

10 minutes ago, J Kreger said:

When I am close to or around greens I notice my ball never has any spin to make it check up or even when I am taking a full swing with a higher lofted club farther away. Is there some secret to getting the ball to roll back or check up on the green? 

First question would have to be what ball are you playing and how hard are the greens on the course you play? On some courses the greens are so hard nobody can get it to check.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 
45 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

First question would have to be what ball are you playing and how hard are the greens on the course you play? On some courses the greens are so hard nobody can get it to check.

Since I am a ball-finding fiend I usually play with found Pro-V1's but if not I regularly use either the Callaway Chromesoft, or the TM TP5. I guess I am not sure how hard the greens are I play on! 

Improving ones game is always a good thing. However, as a 25 hcp player what you're asking about would usually be considered a more advance skill. Here's my advice. Work on other more basic skills (low hanging fruit) and advance from there as your scores/handicap begins to lower. Just one man's opinion.

IMO it generally boils down to how you strike/make contact with the ball. And the lie you're playing from. I urethane ball will spin easier than say a surlyn. Tight lie more spin - fluff not so much. I'm not a spinner of the ball most of the time by choice. But depending on the desired shot I can spin the ball +/- when I want. Usually. For example if I'm playing an approach and I need the ball to stop rather quickly; I'll try and "Pinch" it some thereby imparting more spin. Around the green I might choose to nip the ball a little to create some extra spin as opposed to stroking it and letting the ball run out. Spinning the ball can be a double-edged sword. It takes practice and skill to be able to control it on demand. Like all things golf and for me... some days I have it and some I don't.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

5 minutes ago, J Kreger said:

Since I am a ball-finding fiend I usually play with found Pro-V1's but if not I regularly use either the Callaway Chromesoft, or the TM TP5. I guess I am not sure how hard the greens are I play on! 

Well all of those ball options should be able to generate enough spin in order check up a bit on most greens. Again there are some that it just can't be done on...Do the other people playing with you get it to check? If not, then it may be the greens, If yes, then it is probably the style of swing. Are you more of a put the ball in the back of the stance with arms pressed forward then swing kinda like a putter chipper, or do you put it a bit more neutral bring the club back then rotate your body though the shot type player? I used to be the first type and was not happy with the amount of spin I was getting. Since switching to the other type, I have been much better at controlling the spin. 

It can also be the grooves on your club. Make sure they and the face is clean and dry. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Let’s ask the first question; what percentage of your shots land past the hole?

Spin is a combination of lots of things. Big factors are angle of attack and dynamic loft of the club:

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-loft/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

46 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Improving ones game is always a good thing. However, as a 25 hcp player what you're asking about would usually be considered a more advance skill. Here's my advice. Work on other more basic skills (low hanging fruit) and advance from there as your scores/handicap begins to lower. Just one man's opinion.

IMO it generally boils down to how you strike/make contact with the ball.

1 hour ago, J Kreger said:

I think Plaid hit the nail on the head. If you can, take a can of foot spray and hit some balls noting impact location. Focus on center strikes. If you're toe side don't change anything except intent. ie: focus on hitting the heel. 

This should lead to better strikes which is the beginning step to getting the ball to spin. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

51 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

IMO it generally boils down to how you strike/make contact with the ball. And the lie you're playing from. I urethane ball will spin easier than say a surlyn. Tight lie more spin - fluff not so much. I'm not a spinner of the ball most of the time by choice. But depending on the desired shot I can spin the ball +/- when I want. Usually. For example if I'm playing an approach and I need the ball to stop rather quickly; I'll try and "Pinch" it some thereby imparting more spin. Around the green I might choose to nip the ball a little to create some extra spin as opposed to stroking it and letting the ball run out. Spinning the ball can be a double-edged sword. It takes practice and skill to be able to control it on demand. Like all things golf and for me... some days I have it and some I don't.

I understand. Thank you for the response! I believe I will revisit this when I have my game more under control. 

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Let’s ask the first question; what percentage of your shots land past the hole?

Spin is a combination of lots of things. Big factors are angle of attack and dynamic loft of the club:

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-loft/

Not many. If I had to guess maybe 30% of my shots in general land past the hole due to me know they will almost certainly roll out. 

"Position the golf ball more toward your back foot, rather than in the center of your stance as you would on a regular shot. That will force you to hit down on the ball, which will create backspin. Swing down hard and hit the ball first, taking a divot in front of it after the ball is struck."

You are getting some spin on the ball. Everyone generates some backspin, especially irons, unless you blade it or it's coming out of fluff or rough. It may not always be obvious, it's a question of how much backspin - stopping or backing the ball up is max backspin.

Sounds like the balls your using will spin, 3+ piece urethane. Stopping a 2 piece surlyn or ionomer ball is difficult at best. And found balls are a crapshoot even if they're premium tour balls.

• Keep your clubs including the grooves clean. Grooves full of mud/dirt won't grab the ball. Neither will old worn out grooves.
  • From a good lie if you're hitting the turf before the ball, the chances of imparting much spin are greatly reduced.
    • Any grass and/or water between the club face and the ball reduces spin dramatically.
  • If you subtly strike down on it (not chunking or chopping at it), hit the ball first (not thin!), and then turf, it will provide much more backspin - the higher the club loft, the better.
  • It's a function of clubhead speed too, the higher the better.
  • Backspin will help the ball stop no matter what, but as others have noted above if the greens are very firm it will still roll out on you, but not quite as bad as others with less backspin.

Good luck, most amateur players can't stop the ball much less back the ball up...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
  • Guests
Guest Delete
20 hours ago, J Kreger said:

What this guy says:

If I do this, I can get range balls to drop and stop from 60 yards. 

Clubhead speed, point of impact on the face, and a descending blow to grab the ball with the grooves all help to maximize backspin.

Limiting factors of backspin:

• Not hitting the sweet spot
  • Hitting too high on the face
  • Not hitting the ball squarely
  • Low club head speed
  • Hitting out of the rough
  • Wet ball and/or club face
  • Dirty grooves
  • Decelerating the club head

To get the best backspin:

• Always accelerate through the ball
  • Just bruise the grass to catch the ball low on the club face but not thin
  • Hit from the short grass
  • Use a premium ball
  • Make sure your club has a clean face and grooves
  • Driest conditions possible

The best advice I can give someone about short game is this: plan on roll so focus on your landing spot more than looking at the flag. When you focus on how you want the ball to roll after it hits the green this way you will get closer to the hole more often. Practicing chipping and pitching shots can help you learn what your ball does when it lands. This is better than just getting more backspin.