Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial Review: Sense Putter Grips

dlow206

I recently purchased a Sense Putter grip and will be doing an unofficial review. This was purchased out of pocket by me, so it is not a sponsored review. More posts to come soon about the installation process and product review. 

https://sensegolfgrips.com/

grip_views_s1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1554631790

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Grip arrived today. I ordered the S1 version, which is square. There is a larger, more rectangular version, the R1. The grip comes in a box because it has multiple components, the grip itself, the adjustable weighting system (both where within the grip the weight resides and also three different weights), as well as a level (more on this later).

IMG_6877.JPG.3443d25e520f5bff6b0b72b092b44f8a.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG.973b99cc4b55315bcdf2bcb6288751f8.JPG

If you are using one of the midsize or jumbo size grips like the larger Superstrokes, etc., this grip is much smaller. Previously, I had the largest Scotty Cameron grip on my Squareback and look at the size difference.

IMG_6879.JPG.62d709564a45ace6d3577f318fec3fda.JPG

There are very specific instructions on how to install this grip. First of all, tape needs to be built up to 0.620. Most putter shafts are 0.580. So I added 1 wrap of masking tape and 2 wraps of double sided tape (the good thick stuff) to get to 0.620. The bottom of the grip is supposed to be built up to 0.600. On a 0.580 putter shaft that is tapered, that is a lot of tape, I don't even know how many wraps I added near the bottom, but it was a lot. I used digital calipers to measure.

IMG_6880.JPG.b9b28109fbaedfd00c31219485ede671.JPG

The most important part of installing this grip is installing it level with a square putter face. They provide a level in the box for this purpose. I attached it to the putter face and put the putter in a vice and got it level. After doing that, I installed the grip, carefully removed the level from the putter face and used the level to make sure the grip was level in multiple places on the grip. I had to make some minor adjustments to get it level across the grip. I could see how a shop could take short cuts and not pay this fine of detail when installing one of these.

IMG_6881.JPG.6d837f643fe14cd6d13528c9c73ec904.JPG

The grip is currently drying in the garage and I am not going to touch it for a while, don't want to knock it off from being level.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Grip dried overnight and I got the weighting system installed. One important note, depending on the shaft taper, the diameter of the weighting system components can be too big, so you cannot push it all the way to through the shaft. So you have to use a saw or other cutting tool to cut down the weighting system. Here it is after cutting:

IMG_6883.JPG.ada990b50504654440918c098ac8a236.JPG

If you see the weight in the middle, there are actually three weights that come with the system, a 10g, 20g, and 30g. The 30g is showing but i actually replaced it with the 20g. The weight can slide and be placed anywhere along that slider, there is a little screw to lock in the weight where you want it.

Updated 07/15/2022

The other note about the weighting system is that the threads also work with superstroke grips; so if you like the weighting system and use a superstroke grip you can just buy the weight system.

BTW, thanks for doing the review.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I guess I failed to mention anything about the putter that I put this on. It's an old Scotty Squareback 1 (the original Squareback model). The head is really heavy, 395 grams, with aftermarket weights that I put on. I weighed the head when I pulled it from the shaft, so that is an accurate weight. I like heavy heads and play a 32" putter. Will be interesting to see how the S1 grip works with the weighting in the putter grip which will counterbalance the head weight somewhat.

Updated 07/15/2022

With the weight installed, the feeling I would use to describe the putter is more "stable". Feels good making a putting stroke inside the house, but I won't come to any conclusions until I put it into play on Sunday.

IMG_6884.JPG.96e5f2ce989c1121cfe45cc3a14eec7a.JPG

Updated 07/15/2022

Put the Sense Grip S1 into play today. My putting was so-so today. I tend to not putt my best in general when the greens are really wet after a heavy rain, my distance control becomes off. 

I really like the feel of the Sense grip, especially with the 20 gram weight under the right hand. Stroke felt more stable. I did knock in some medium length 1 putts, including making a birdie (rare for me). With the Sense grip, the ball tends to go in the direction I intend it to, however, my line reading is not always the best, especially when I don't focus. 

One other thing that was different was the distance control with this grip. The ball seemed to go farther than with the prior grip with an equivalent stroke. I rarely hit the ball past the hole normally, usually miss short. However, hit some past the hole today. Don't know why, maybe because the overall static weight of the putter is much higher?

Updated 07/15/2022

• 10 months later...