Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I've got a bunch of different brand balls in my stash. Last year I was on a quest to see what I really like, and I am still working through them. However, I tend to favor the OnCore Avant55 and Srixon Soft Feel equally.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

On 6/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

For me after playing Prov1s then Srixon zstar xv, I decided I would try the qstar because its half the price of the zstar. I've been playing them for about 2 weeks now and I love them. Set a Personal best drive with a 250 carry and a personal best lowest score of 39 for 9 holes with these balls. I wont be changing balls for a while.

srixon.jpg

Same here.  I’ve been playing those for 2 years now.

I just restocked (10 dozen) with the recent buy one get one sale. Hopefully I’m good funtil next years sale. 😜

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

I started playing OnCore Elixr this year after playing Snell’s last year. I get good distance out of the ball and a lot of action on the green. Plus they are budget friendly at $33/dozen. They have a less expensive ball, avant, that I’ve never played.

17112D27-8263-47C0-A4AF-C13906D62C79.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Up until Costco bought out the Kirkland 3 Piece my gaming ball was a Seed 001 https://seedgolf.com/ . It is the closet thing I have found to a Pro v1 at 2/3 the price $40AUD. However as I am in the process of rebuilding my swing I looked for something more cost effective and have found the Kirkland to be superb. Only two issue I have found is the that the cover makes easily and I get way two much spin at times. But $ for $ they cannot be bet $42 for 24 balls.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Picked up Srixon soft feel(2020) at Dicks, 2 dzn for $20. Pretty damn decent ball. Crossfield did a test of all the Srixon options and even in his test it performed decent.

Sent from my SM-G970U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Cobra Speedzone 9*

Callaway Mavrik 15*

Sub70 939x hybrid 19*

Sub70 699 Pro 5-pw

Cleveland RTX3 54/58

Ping Sigma2 Tyne darkness

On 6/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, stj51 said:

The Nike Mojo is my all time favorite ball, it was cheap, reliable for me, and I hit it straight with good distance, I was wondering if anyone has found a similar ball that performs the same way for the price point. I'm pretty happy with the Bridgestone ball's performance that I play but always nice to have a cheaper back up. 

I have been playing TaylorMade Project (a) Golf Balls and Pro v1's.

Had to make a Costco run so these came home for me to try out.  I am going to go out on Monday to give them a go. I will be courious to see how they are.  For $25 I had to get them, worst thing is they turn into backyard balls.

20200801_203658.jpg

Titleist AP2 (first gen) standard lie/length True Temper DG s300 stiff flex

Ping I20 Stiff flex 10.5 loft

Right handed

Born and raised Napa CA

rsz_i-hate-golf.jpg.3af75309a44d720a8db8b1d011c0b58f.jpg

Another vote for Kirkland, funny story, wife and I are getting ready to sell our home, while clearing my closet I found 12 dozen of the original Kirkland 4 piece and 4 dozen of the 3 piece.

I found that the 4 piece performed pretty close to a Pro-V1, I actually spun it back like on T.V. a couple of times.

The 3 piece more of a hit and stop. 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I won a dozen Q Stars with Tampa Bay Lightning logos....put a sleeve in my bag last Sunday and shot 78!
They roll out on the greens but once you get used to it you can manage it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 7/13/2020 at 7:50 AM, Wasper007 said:

I started playing OnCore Elixr this year after playing Snell’s last year. I get good distance out of the ball and a lot of action on the green. Plus they are budget friendly at $33/dozen.

I did their trial sleeve promo and was really pleased with their performance. On the first hole I played them, I hit a little 40 yard clipper that didn't even bounce, it just stopped dead. Then on the next hole I hit a 7 iron that backed up about 5 feet. On a bermuda green. 

If I ever get my swing changes to stick and I get my ball flight down, maybe I could actually get away with playing a ball that spins this much. 😜

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

It kinda depends what you class as budget, which I guess also depends on how many you lose. 

I previously tended to lose maybe 2 balls a round, and floated between the Titleist Tour Soft as a gamer and the AD333 for days when I couldn't keep the thing on the planet. 

2 weeks ago a friend gave me a sleeve of Q star tours to try. I'd never hit a 3 piece ball before, not once, so I gave them a whirl. Since then, I've shot 81, 77, 83 and 82 (I'm an 18 handicap, my home track is a par 69). They are flying straighter off the tee and stopping quicker on the green then anything I've ever played, and at £30 a dozen in the UK, I consider that to be a fantastic budget option for anyone looking to get into a 3 piece ball (as long as your swing speed isn't super-high, as they are soft). I shopped around and managed to get 2 dozen for £48, and I'm yet to lose one in 3 full rounds (I probably don't hit it far enough!). An excellent, confidence inspiring, affordable ball. 

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get! 

This topic is right up my alley!

I have tried a lot of golf balls in my time...A LOT!!! From range ball to Titleist, and most level of balls in each lineup (distance rocks to premium chewies). I have been up and down the spectrum and have settled on two balls going forward; the Nike RZN One and the Kirkland Signature (3 piece). Let me explain...

I started playing the RZN One and fell in love. At the time I was playing a Srixon ball, and just prior to that I was playing the Titleist NXT Tour (both of which I really liked). I got a sleeve of Nike balls at a scramble tournament I played in (we came in third in that tournament, and I would say it was because of me...my teammates played crappy that day and...thats beside the point) and I tried them out on my next round and shot 80...whoa mama I had it working that day. No other changes to my bag, just the ball. I loved the flight, feel and stopping power on the greens. I had not played a ball that felt that good on every club. So that became my ball of choice. Then Nike abruptly stopped making golf equipment (thanks a lot Phil Knight) and I was left without a ball. But this time also coincided with a break from the game. 

Just recently I started playing heavy again and I had heard a lot about the Kirkland Signature (4 piece) ball. I knew they were cheap and everyone was talking about it being the Pro V1 killer. So I went to Costco (to get one of those roasted chickens) and saw the 3 piece ball, and made the purchase. First time back on the course, playing the executive 9 hole course at Monarch Bay in San Leandro, CA; just trying to get my mojo back and I tee it up and let it fly. Made par on the first but didn't hit a great tee shot, so I didn't get the true feel,but it felt good on the putter. Tee it up at #2, toughest hole on the course. Its listed as 193 yard par three, but it plays about 215-220 because of the head wind and it being slightlyuphil. Trees line the right side (which is my miss) so this is a bogey hole almost all the time for me. Decided to try and flight a 3 iron as close as I could. I hit purest golf shot of my life and ended up on the front of the green. I may have hit that green once before. 2 putts later I had made par.

The rest of the round was full of absolutely pure shots. I have a straight ball flight and this ball is straight as an arrow. The ball was backing up on the greens with middle irons; it was crazy. Amazing soft feel, great control with the wedges and great performance off the driver. 

At $25 for 2 dozen, you can't miss, though this ball does have one flaw, durability. It scuffs really easily. It will still play, but I wish the ball had a slightly firmer cover to withstand wedge grooves.

If you like a softer feel ball that will give all around performance, the Kirkland Signature is a great choice.

"Hit'em straight ladies and gents!"

My Sticks:

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (9.5 Degree)

3 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 (15 Degree)

Hybrid: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz (19 degree)

Irons: Srixon i506 (3, 5-PW)

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 (50, 54 and 58)