Our Sponsors

22 hours ago, Wedgie said:

My second and third lowest rounds of my life were with the Top Flite D2 Feel+. 15 pack that is usually 2 fifteen packs for $30.

Used to play the D2 Feel and thought it was a really good performer for the price. I've also enjoyed the Bridgestone e5 in the past, as well as the Titleist DT Solo (now TruSoft). Most recently I picked up a Titleist Velocity on the course. Normally I would just give them to one of my playing partners, but I was having a rough day and was already low on golf balls so I put it in play. I was surprised how much spin I was able to put on it with a wedge in my hand - not so much from greenside, but at least two or three times from 100~ yards I was able to stop it on a dime.

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I wouldnt think that it would be too difficult to find something as good or better than the Nike Mojo.  No offense.  Youre probably looking at any budget 2-piece ball or 3-piece performing just as well, if not better.

You could literally insert whatever brand name you like and find something that works.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I've been hoarding Srixon Z-star prior generation balls at $20 per dozen

• Like 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

On 6/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, stj51 said:

The Nike Mojo is my all time favorite ball, it was cheap, reliable for me, and I hit it straight with good distance, I was wondering if anyone has found a similar ball that performs the same way for the price point. I'm pretty happy with the Bridgestone ball's performance that I play but always nice to have a cheaper back up. 

I have not completely bought into the "fitted ball" approach.  I've played lots of various balls and to be really honest, just don't see that significant a difference in performance... mine or the balls.  I've played some of my best rounds with mediocre, mid range balls, and some of my worst rounds with tour level balls.  Heck, I've even had some great rounds playing granite stones as part of the MGS "Hard Rock Challenge"... go figure.

I have a 5 gallon bucket of "good balls"...most I have found, and the majority top rated. I pull from this inventory to backfill the bag as needed. In the last couple of years, I've been trying to stick with ProV1, Snell MTB, and Maxfli Tour to see if any of these really stand out between each other and the many other balls I have played.  Thus far, none stand out as in "wow, game changer".  Perhaps if I was a low single digit player, ball choice/performance would become more obvious?

So as to your question about a "budget ball", certainly those in my cache that were orphaned, free, and top quality, fit are budget balls.  But if I were buying balls right now, I'd probably be looking at Snell MTB or the Maxfli Tour especially on sale through Dicks ($19.99/dozen last year).  Based on my testing of the Maxfli Tour and Tour X (last year) and some Snell MTB's a fellow spy gave me, I think these offer the best technology and price point.

All that said, put a bunch of brand new packages of balls, of all models, from all the various manufacturers, on a table in front of me, and tell me to pick one; I'll grab the ProV1's everytime... go figure 🤣.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I have not completely bought into the "fitted ball" approach.  I've played lots of various balls and to be really honest, just don't see that significant a difference in performance... mine or the balls.  I've played some of my best rounds with mediocre, mid range balls, and some of my worst rounds with tour level balls.  Heck, I've even had some great rounds playing granite stones as part of the MGS "Hard Rock Challenge"... go figure.
I have a 5 gallon bucket of "good balls"...most I have found, and the majority top rated. I pull from this inventory to backfill the bag as needed. In the last couple of years, I've been trying to stick with ProV1, Snell MTB, and Maxfli Tour to see if any of these really stand out between each other and the many other balls I have played.  Thus far, none stand out as in "wow, game changer".  Perhaps if I was a low single digit player, ball choice/performance would become more obvious?
So as to your question about a "budget ball", certainly those in my cache that were orphaned, free, and top quality, fit are budget balls.  But if I were buying balls right now, I'd probably be looking at Snell MTB or the Maxfli Tour especially on sale through Dicks ($19.99/dozen last year).  Based on my testing of the Maxfli Tour and Tour X (last year) and some Snell MTB's a fellow spy gave me, I think these offer the best technology and price point.
All that said, put a bunch of brand new packages of balls, of all models, from all the various manufacturers, on a table in front of me, and tell me to pick one; I'll grab the ProV1's everytime... go figure 🤣.

Hahaha I love finding ProV1’s that are still in good shape, I try to back fill those into my bag. I know since I’ve been more picky about what I’m playing my rounds have been more consistent. I haven’t tried the Snells so may give them a try as well, everyone is giving them good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed 

:taylormade-small: SIM Max, 10.5 deg, Ventus Red 5 reg

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3 Rescue 19 deg, Ventus Blue 6 reg

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 4-PW, KBS 85 reg 

:taylormade-small: ATV Grind Wedges 52, 56, 60 deg, KBS 85

Lamkin Crossline-Midsize grips on all swinging clubs 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab, Black One, 35"

:bridgestone-small: e12 soft; Tour B RX

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I've been hoarding Srixon Z-star prior generation balls at $20 per dozen

At that price I'd hoard the heck out of them too!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

On 6/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

For me after playing Prov1s then Srixon zstar xv, I decided I would try the qstar because its half the price of the zstar. I've been playing them for about 2 weeks now and I love them. Set a Personal best drive with a 250 carry and a personal best lowest score of 39 for 9 holes with these balls. I wont be changing balls for a while.

Was honestly going to recommend the Q-Star tour, got to be a tester when they got here and made the switch

• Like 1

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Found one u left in the bushes today....

The Nike Mojo is my all time favorite ball, it was cheap, reliable for me, and I hit it straight with good distance, I was wondering if anyone has found a similar ball that performs the same way for the price point. I'm pretty happy with the Bridgestone ball's performance that I play but always nice to have a cheaper back up. 
20200604_151721.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H931 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

Srixon balls are going BOGO in a few days for their Father's Day special. 

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Srixon balls are going BOGO in a few days for their Father's Day special. 
Thanks for the head's up!

Take Dead Aim

played some of my best rounds with Nike PD long

Driver- Cobra F9 Speedback 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Hybrid/Utility- Sub70 699U 19.5°  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Irons- Sub70 699 5-GW  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Sub70 Forged Black 54° and 58°  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 34"  default_cleveland-small.jpg.c74f3b17afe658f686b5fe6afe45378f.jpg

Ball- Titleist ProV1x  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

I've got a bunch of different brand balls in my stash. Last year I was on a quest to see what I really like, and I am still working through them. However, I tend to favor the OnCore Avant55 and Srixon Soft Feel equally.

• Like 1

PXG Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 23° Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shaft
Tour Edge HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
Maltby KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
Gigagolf S2 52° and 56° wedges w/UST for Gigagolf graphite shafts
Tommy Armour Impact #3 putter

On 6/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

For me after playing Prov1s then Srixon zstar xv, I decided I would try the qstar because its half the price of the zstar. I've been playing them for about 2 weeks now and I love them. Set a Personal best drive with a 250 carry and a personal best lowest score of 39 for 9 holes with these balls. I wont be changing balls for a while.

srixon.jpg

Same here.  I’ve been playing those for 2 years now.

I just restocked (10 dozen) with the recent buy one get one sale. Hopefully I’m good funtil next years sale. 😜

:ping-small: G400 Max 9*

:callaway-small: Rogue 15*  

:callaway-small: Rogue X 3 & 4 hybrids 

:callaway-small: Rogue X 5-AW 

:cleveland-small: CBX 52* & 58*

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Double Wide 34"

I started playing OnCore Elixr this year after playing Snell’s last year. I get good distance out of the ball and a lot of action on the green. Plus they are budget friendly at $33/dozen. They have a less expensive ball, avant, that I’ve never played.

17112D27-8263-47C0-A4AF-C13906D62C79.jpeg

Up until Costco bought out the Kirkland 3 Piece my gaming ball was a Seed 001 https://seedgolf.com/ . It is the closet thing I have found to a Pro v1 at 2/3 the price $40AUD. However as I am in the process of rebuilding my swing I looked for something more cost effective and have found the Kirkland to be superb. Only two issue I have found is the that the cover makes easily and I get way two much spin at times. But $ for $ they cannot be bet $42 for 24 balls.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Picked up Srixon soft feel(2020) at Dicks, 2 dzn for $20. Pretty damn decent ball. Crossfield did a test of all the Srixon options and even in his test it performed decent.

Sent from my SM-G970U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, stj51 said:

I have been playing TaylorMade Project (a) Golf Balls and Pro v1's.

Had to make a Costco run so these came home for me to try out.  I am going to go out on Monday to give them a go. I will be courious to see how they are.  For $25 I had to get them, worst thing is they turn into backyard balls.

20200801_203658.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist AP2 (first gen) standard lie/length True Temper DG s300 stiff flex

Ping I20 Stiff flex 10.5 loft

Right handed

Born and raised Napa CA

rsz_i-hate-golf.jpg.3af75309a44d720a8db8b1d011c0b58f.jpg

Another vote for Kirkland, funny story, wife and I are getting ready to sell our home, while clearing my closet I found 12 dozen of the original Kirkland 4 piece and 4 dozen of the 3 piece.

I found that the 4 piece performed pretty close to a Pro-V1, I actually spun it back like on T.V. a couple of times.

The 3 piece more of a hit and stop. 

• Like 1

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I won a dozen Q Stars with Tampa Bay Lightning logos....put a sleeve in my bag last Sunday and shot 78!
They roll out on the greens but once you get used to it you can manage it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

On 7/13/2020 at 7:50 AM, Wasper007 said:

I started playing OnCore Elixr this year after playing Snell’s last year. I get good distance out of the ball and a lot of action on the green. Plus they are budget friendly at $33/dozen.

I did their trial sleeve promo and was really pleased with their performance. On the first hole I played them, I hit a little 40 yard clipper that didn't even bounce, it just stopped dead. Then on the next hole I hit a 7 iron that backed up about 5 feet. On a bermuda green. 

If I ever get my swing changes to stick and I get my ball flight down, maybe I could actually get away with playing a ball that spins this much. 😜

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH