Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Raising a Golfer...Am I Doing it Right?

So these are my kids, 6, 5, and 3.  My daughter (the 3 year old) will start coming out with me every now and then, but for the past couple years now I have taken the boys with me for 9, sometimes 18 if they are up for it, and put a tee in the fairway about 120-150 yards out and let them go for it.  In between, they get to drive the cart while on my lap (I'm on the brake & throttle), I pack junk balls and let them blast them into water hazards, pack snacks they like, and do everything I can to keep it as fun as I can even if it means I'm not really playing.

My older boy shows genuine athletic ability; he's got a good swing for a 6 year old and seems to have really strong hand-eye coordination.  His younger brother is a little less interested and aggressive but does well too. 

So, I'm not trying to be Earl Woods and raise the next prodigy, but I do hope they grow to love the game, and I do hope to at least facilitate that they learn to play to their potential, whatever that might be.

Questions for anyone with junior golf teaching experience, or who "successfully" raised golfers...am I doing it right so far?

What I really struggle with is when to make technical inputs, especially with my oldest.  His wants to set his top hand incredibly weak so I try to coax him to something stronger, and he keeps setting up waaaay right of the target.  So, stance, grip...fundamental stuff.   Sound about right?

He also tends to swing out of his shoes sometimes to the point that he misses and nearly falls down, but when he makes contact he hits it pretty well.  I don't want to tell him to swing slower...everything I've read says to let kids hit it as far as they can and straighten them out later when they're older. 

Sorry, bit of a rambling post, but any insights or advice is appreciated.  (And when is a junior ready for lessons?)

Kids.jpg

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have a 6 year old daughter and my son is almost 4 and my son hits balls everyday either in the garage or back yard.. I try the same thing with stance and grip but i never push him just say hey try this and he usually tries it for 1 or 2 swings and then goes back to do what he normally does. My thing is as long as he is having fun then you are doing it right. I am not going push my kids into golf but I will steer them into that direction and let them choose. So i add a net and putting green and bought them clubs for their ages. Now my son wants to go to the driving range .. hes not even 4 .. So I said next time I go we will go once its open so its not packed and I would let him wack some balls around. I think @GolfSpy MPR has a young kid I see on twitter who swings it well hopefully he can help. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So these are my kids, 6, 5, and 3.  My daughter (the 3 year old) will start coming out with me every now and then, but for the past couple years now I have taken the boys with me for 9, sometimes 18 if they are up for it, and put a tee in the fairway about 120-150 yards out and let them go for it.  In between, they get to drive the cart while on my lap (I'm on the brake & throttle), I pack junk balls and let them blast them into water hazards, pack snacks they like, and do everything I can to keep it as fun as I can even if it means I'm not really playing.

My older boy shows genuine athletic ability; he's got a good swing for a 6 year old and seems to have really strong hand-eye coordination.  His younger brother is a little less interested and aggressive but does well too. 

So, I'm not trying to be Earl Woods and raise the next prodigy, but I do hope they grow to love the game, and I do hope to at least facilitate that they learn to play to their potential, whatever that might be.

Questions for anyone with junior golf teaching experience, or who "successfully" raised golfers...am I doing it right so far?

What I really struggle with is when to make technical inputs, especially with my oldest.  His wants to set his top hand incredibly weak so I try to coax him to something stronger, and he keeps setting up waaaay right of the target.  So, stance, grip...fundamental stuff.   Sound about right?

He also tends to swing out of his shoes sometimes to the point that he misses and nearly falls down, but when he makes contact he hits it pretty well.  I don't want to tell him to swing slower...everything I've read says to let kids hit it as far as they can and straighten them out later when they're older. 

Sorry, bit of a rambling post, but any insights or advice is appreciated.  (And when is a junior ready for lessons?)

Kids.jpg

You are doing fine.  Don't teach them - they won't listen to you because they are too busy watching you!  The time for group lessons is now.  They will learn socialization, how to be coached, how to watch, how to learn, the etiquette of the game, and the learning will be more fun than you coaching them.  As you said, it is about potential, when they recognize (your guidance) that they aren't improving any more than you might off the experience of a lesson.  They will either like or they won't.  I believe that junior golfers spend too much time in private lesson and too little time learning how to train and play in groups - supervised by a great coach.   Private lessons should be less frequent and related to the group system.  Playing golf drives learning as the pain points create the desire to improve.  Challenge them to ask questions when they are lost.  

24 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Kids.jpg

Totally sounds like you've got the correct idea to me.

Here's where I start: in the NFL, you've got 32 teams that each have 53 roster spots. That's almost 1,700 guys getting paid to play football at the highest level of that sport.

On the PGA Tour, there are 125 guys with a full card. Playing golf for a living is nearly impossible. It's very likely that most of the guys in the OWGR top-500 could hang around at a PGA Tour event, and if everything breaks their way one week, grab a top-10 or a win. The book Tales From Q School is among the most emotional golf reads ever written, because you see these guys on the knife edge: one shot here or there totally changes the direction of their whole lives.

So that's all to say: go have fun. My son is a remarkably talented 7-year-old golfer (I say this this way because I deserve no credit for it; he's a natural athlete and I'm certainly not!). The fact that he's good at 7 relative to kids his age in no way means that he'll be good at 20 relative to young men his age.

So go out and have fun with your kids, just like you're doing. My inclination with Kirke is to give him very little technical instruction, but to focus on what the ball does. I challenge him to hit balls high and low, curving left and right. I'd rather have him figure the game out, thinking about targets, than to be like me always thinking about swing positions and technical fixes.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Are they having fun?  Do they want to keep playing? If the answer is yes then you are doing great. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My daughter is almost 6 and takes lessons twice a week. I leave the fundamentals to the pro. I only focus on having a good time with her, hitting targets, play for candy, etc.

I would love it if she ends up playing golf with me, but I also let her try other sports such as tennis and basketball.

My focus is to create great memories with the kids.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

23 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

You are doing fine.  Don't teach them - they won't listen to you because they are too busy watching you!  The time for group lessons is now.  They will learn socialization, how to be coached, how to watch, how to learn, the etiquette of the game, and the learning will be more fun than you coaching them.  As you said, it is about potential, when they recognize (your guidance) that they aren't improving any more than you might off the experience of a lesson.  They will either like or they won't.  I believe that junior golfers spend too much time in private lesson and too little time learning how to train and play in groups - supervised by a great coach.   Private lessons should be less frequent and related to the group system.  Playing golf drives learning as the pain points create the desire to improve.  Challenge them to ask questions when they are lost.  

Thank you sir.  I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in...I've read your posts on these forums with great interest.

I had my oldest in a nearby junior camp last year and he loved it.  I was VERY disappointed to have to cancel both the boys' enrollment in the First Tee this year, but the rules came out and they're going to require the kids to wear masks...there is no way my boys will enjoy that, especially in July.

Getting them into group lessons will be challenging in the next few years; being in the military and constantly moving makes that a bit difficult.  But I'll take heed of your emphasis on it.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So go out and have fun with your kids, just like you're doing. My inclination with Kirke is to give him very little technical instruction, but to focus on what the ball does. I challenge him to hit balls high and low, curving left and right. I'd rather have him figure the game out, thinking about targets, than to be like me always thinking about swing positions and technical fixes.

Thanks for the input.  You've certainly put things in perspective. 

Do you find your son is able to meet these challenges?  A 7-yr old shaping shots?!

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks for the input.  You've certainly put things in perspective. 

Do you find your son is able to meet these challenges?  A 7-yr old shaping shots?!

Good question! To clarify: he can go back and forth hitting draws or cuts with his driver. We're not talking about carving irons into tucked pins 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Good question! To clarify: he can go back and forth hitting draws or cuts with his driver. We're not talking about carving irons into tucked pins 🙂

Still damn impressive

40 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

One quick follow up:  how do you recommend one can identify when it is time for one-on-one lessons with a teaching pro?  Is it a question of golf skill or emotional maturity to pay attention and be coached?

10 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

One quick follow up:  how do you recommend one can identify when it is time for one-on-one lessons with a teaching pro?  Is it a question of golf skill or emotional maturity to pay attention and be coached?

Great question and probably many correct answers.  I don't believe it is about the time, but about learning how to ask for help when we don't meet our goals.  Humans are resistant to change for reason too many to write about in this forum.  Some of the reasons are good and some can cause big problems down the road in teams, groups, jobs, & relationships.  Guiding your kids to understand that it is ok to seek help and that the frustrations of learning new skills will be rewarded in the end. (path of learning) Asking for help is a great habit and one you can foster.  Obviously the level of guidance you provide should be appropriate to their age and development.  You know best for your kids.  

As part of lessons or coaching, I ask that the student/child communicate with me as often as possible so they learn to be proactive in their training.  Again according to their age & development.  I have a young boy who would text me from mom's phone when he was 8 and now at 12 he texts me in a group chat that includes his parents.  He asks me for a time and if his parents are available to take him. He drives the bus but also understands how involved his parents are in the journey.  

I know I'm guilty with my own kids of stepping in and doing too much taking away learning opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Great question and probably many correct answers.  I don't believe it is about the time, but about learning how to ask for help when we don't meet our goals.  Humans are resistant to change for reason too many to write about in this forum.  Some of the reasons are good and some can cause big problems down the road in teams, groups, jobs, & relationships.  Guiding your kids to understand that it is ok to seek help and that the frustrations of learning new skills will be rewarded in the end. (path of learning) Asking for help is a great habit and one you can foster.  Obviously the level of guidance you provide should be appropriate to their age and development.  You know best for your kids.  

As part of lessons or coaching, I ask that the student/child communicate with me as often as possible so they learn to be proactive in their training.  Again according to their age & development.  I have a young boy who would text me from mom's phone when he was 8 and now at 12 he texts me in a group chat that includes his parents.  He asks me for a time and if his parents are available to take him. He drives the bus but also understands how involved his parents are in the journey.  

I know I'm guilty with my own kids of stepping in and doing too much taking away learning opportunities. 

Thanks again sir.

You make a great point about not trying to teach much because they learn by watching me.  I had a bit of learning experience last year with my oldest.  I didn't realize how much I was doing it, but every now and then if I hit a bad shot that was below my expectations, I'd let out a disappointed groan.  No throwing clubs or going on and on, just an audible groan of displeasure.  Sure enough, my son started groaning after every shot, just like me. 

Made me really stop and think, and realize I'm setting an example at all times, good or bad.

Took me a couple of years to learn to back off and just let them have fun. Let them ask you questions instead of interjecting into what they are doing, especially after every swing. That just frustrates them. Keep it to one thing if you absolutely feel inclined to step in. It's better to make a game out of any drill or lesson. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Took me a couple of years to learn to back off and just let them have fun. Let them ask you questions instead of interjecting into what they are doing, especially after every swing. That just frustrates them. Keep it to one thing if you absolutely feel inclined to step in. It's better to make a game out of any drill or lesson. 

Thanks, appreciate it.

I think I’m doing okay so far. My oldest in particular is really taking to it. We just came back from 9 holes and he drained a big left to right downhill putt from 25...I’ve never seen him so excited.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Don’t worry about technique at all, and let them swing out of their shoes. My 9 year old swings directly across her body, but makes GREAT contact. All I’ve ever done with her is have her get her stance, then I pick her up and aim her to right field. Boom. Down the middle.

Grip isn’t important, all that matters is it becomes FUN. There was a company that made a backyard golf set that’s used by schools, that might be worth a shot.

All I would add is to teach them the etiquette about being quiet when others are swinging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Kids.jpg.c51b3cea2863a6cd67fe93cb5f9d0935.jpg

I love this post, my son is only 1.5 and already loves playing “ball” as he calls it. I am looking forward to the suggestions people might have on this topic as my son gets older!!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

19 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

I love this post, my son is only 1.5 and already loves playing “ball” as he calls it. I am looking forward to the suggestions people might have on this topic as my son gets older!!

Plastics clubs and wiffle balls in the backyard were great for my kids initial interest.

Above all, it's got to be fun.  I lucked out in that the local muni that at the local muni I take my kids to I don't get charged for the kids, which makes it much easier and more palatable to let them decide when we're done.  Sometimes the boys do a full 18, other days...like the last time...they were done at 5 holes.  I make sure they're sure, but when they're done I never make them stay or power through or any BS like that.  I've got to leave them with positive vibes and a desire to come back for more rather than a feeling like Daddy made them be there.