Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shaft Question

Does anyone know of a website or company that objectively ranks the stiffness/torque of shafts independent of the designation from the manufacturer? I was given an Aldila Rouge Silver 110 70X and it does not match up to expectations- I can power through it all day long and would seem to fall somewhere between S and X. I want to go and actually get fit for a shaft but that’s increasingly difficult during the pandemic we have, and anywhere I can go to begin to narrow things down would awesome for me to read. Thanks!

Have you been fitted before. I have been to Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, and Cobra and out of these I found that Callaway and Mizuno provided that best analysis and had the biggest selection of shafts. Due to an illness I had to go graphite so this was added as a data point as in every case the shaft that was recommend because of my high swing speed was a S300/400 Steel for irons and Driver was XS Graphite for Woods.  

However that criteria was set the system then recommended about 8 different shafts and it was simply a matter of hitting balls with them all to narrow down the field. Then hitting some more.

I did not end up with the recommended XS shafts as I did not like the way any felt, I ended up with S. I was interesting that the recommended shafts from both Callaway and Mizuno were almost identical, the only difference was the weight.

So my suggestion is when you can, try to go to a Manufacturers Performance Centre as I found the experience but educational and impressive. BTW this was 4 years ago and the reason I did not suggest Ping and Cobra was that at the time they had very limited graphite shaft options in irons.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• Guests
Guest Delete
15 hours ago, cmarthur said:

Does anyone know of a website or company that objectively ranks the stiffness/torque of shafts independent of the designation from the manufacturer? I was given an Aldila Rouge Silver 110 70X and it does not match up to expectations- I can power through it all day long and would seem to fall somewhere between S and X. I want to go and actually get fit for a shaft but that’s increasingly difficult during the pandemic we have, and anywhere I can go to begin to narrow things down would awesome for me to read. Thanks!

I can think of two possibilities right off the bat:

1. This is a counterbalance/high balance point shaft
  2. Is it shorter than standard length?

Both of those can lower the swingweight where it feels like a whip. 

Did you check the swingweight? With a 70 ish gram shaft it would normally come out to D2-D3. 

Also, this what has a mid and high kick point = everything but the tip flexes to provide club head speed. 

The 130 model is the tour shaft which is more stiff and only flexes high where the middle and tip are stiff. 

Also, if you put on a bigger grip it could have decreased the swingweight too

What are you looking for in a shaft? I agree about golfshaftreviews.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the replies. Ended up using the golfshaftreviews which led me to the hzrdus smoke black in a 70/6.5 shaft and havent looked back since. Just got fitted for a new stealth and bringing that baby with me!