Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Are Green Books worth it?

Is it worth getting a green book for the few courses I play. They are public courses, do the greens change that much on public courses?

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Whatever makes you enjoy the game more.  

But to be honest, if I am paired up with a random guy on a Saturday morning during a casual round and he pulls out a green book every time we reach the green, I will shake my head every time.

Haha good to know. So if I get one, maybe just use it when I am in my group of 4 mates

6 minutes ago, Nateyeight said:

Haha good to know. So if I get one, maybe just use it when I am in my group of 4 mates

I think they can be a useful tool, especially if you are trying to teach yourself to better read greens - you can validate what you're seeing with your eyes.  If you are going to use them, the key would be to not let them slow down play.

The green books basically give you information that you can gather for yourself using the Aimpoint Express system, except that AE also teaches you how to USE the information.  Do you know how much break to play for a 2% sideslope?  

OK, now that I've acted all snide and know-it-all, let me backtrack.  If you're interested in the books, give them a try.  Be aware of the Rules of Golf limitation on green-reading information, basically the maximum size and scale of the books.  Strackaline sells two versions, one of which is USGA legal, the other is not.  Strackaline also offers a free video about using the books, available once you register with them.  I'm with @jlukes, please be sure that using the books doesn't slow down your play.

But back to my original point, if you learn Aimpoint Express, you'll basically be able to get the same information yourself.  In addition, you'll be able to get it for every single golf course you play, whether you have a book or not, because you collect the data using your feet.  I just looked at the prices for Strackaline hard-copy greens booklets, they're close to $100 each.  Cost for an AE clinic varies, but might be around $200.   To me, the Aimpoint Express clinic is more bang for your buck.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The green books basically give you information that you can gather for yourself using the Aimpoint Express system, except that AE also teaches you how to USE the information.  Do you know how much break to play for a 2% sideslope?  

OK, now that I've acted all snide and know-it-all, let me backtrack.  If you're interested in the books, give them a try.  Be aware of the Rules of Golf limitation on green-reading information, basically the maximum size and scale of the books.  Strackaline sells two versions, one of which is USGA legal, the other is not.  Strackaline also offers a free video about using the books, available once you register with them.  I'm with @jlukes, please be sure that using the books doesn't slow down your play.

But back to my original point, if you learn Aimpoint Express, you'll basically be able to get the same information yourself.  In addition, you'll be able to get it for every single golf course you play, whether you have a book or not, because you collect the data using your feet.  I just looked at the prices for Strackaline hard-copy greens booklets, they're close to $100 each.  Cost for an AE clinic varies, but might be around $200.   To me, the Aimpoint Express clinic is more bang for your buck.

Very interesting, I appreciate your response. I will look into Aimpoint Express

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Whatever makes you enjoy the game more.  

But to be honest, if I am paired up with a random guy on a Saturday morning during a casual round and he pulls out a green book every time we reach the green, I will shake my head every time.

I 100% agree with this lol I do think they are worth it when you're on a trip, kind of a cool thing to collect from some of the cool courses you might play. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

33 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

I 100% agree with this lol I do think they are worth it when you're on a trip, kind of a cool thing to collect from some of the cool courses you might play. 

I do buy the course yardage guide whenever I see one available.  I like to see the layout of the hole, and they do make good souvenirs.  But the Strackaline green books are $97 apiece, just the greens books.  The much less detailed books from Greenslopes are $50, Golflogix sells them for $40.  I might spend $10 for a nice course guide, most are less, but I'm not spending the cash on a green book.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Agree with @HeathS16 great souvenir from a nicer course or trip you go on. I also could understand it if there was a course you rarely play and you do a big buddies match every year and it was really important to you.  If its for the courses you just play regularly, I think it's better experience and learning to just learn how to read them and commit the greens to memory.  You don't need to memorize every nook and cranny, but generalizations (i.e, if your between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock above the hole, it breaks less than it looks like) can be helpful. It's all part of the experience.  Honestly if there is one course you play really regularly, try to go during a slow time and just chip and putt from a couple different locations on every hole. It does wonders when trying to learn a course. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

• Guests
Guest Delete
14 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Are there any YouTube videos on Aimpoint Express? 

I have heard good things about it but not too sure how to get into it?

I always buy a yardage book when I play a new course and I've never used them... so I really doubt a green book would be helpful 🙂

But it also depends on what kind of player you are... I like to wing it and my score suffers from it constantly, but I find it more fun than fiddling with apps, books, watches for that 1 yard.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

5 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Are there any YouTube videos on Aimpoint Express? 

I have heard good things about it but not too sure how to get into it?

I believe there are Youtube videos, but I've never really used them.  I know that if you go to www.aimpointgolf.com you can purchase a DVD for instruction.  But the best way is to attend a in-person clinic.  At that same website you can locate instructors in your area, and see a schedule for clinics.  If you don't see a clinic scheduled, you might contact a local instructor and see what other options might be available.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 7 months later...

If you play those courses often, make your own.  By taking the time to do it, you will not only study the greens more, you will also make personal notes on break, speed and soft/hard spots.  Just a thought.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

It makes me wonder, if a golfer can't hit a straight putt, or the optimal speed, then would a green book really matter? Or knowing Aimpoint Express? 

For excellent golfers/putters it makes sense to have the best tools and especially when you are competing. But, the amateur golfer would probably benefit more from less option paralysis and more practice/time playing?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

It makes me wonder, if a golfer can't hit a straight putt, or the optimal speed, then would a green book really matter? Or knowing Aimpoint Express? 
For excellent golfers/putters it makes sense to have the best tools and especially when you are competing. But, the amateur golfer would probably benefit more from less option paralysis and more practice/time playing?

Startline, pace, and green reading are all skills that need to be learned and practiced. You don’t need a putter to learn green reading; using a device like the perfect putter helps you check what you are seeing and understand/see that there are multiple reads for every putt. Stroke and face control are important when you are playing to help determine if you misread the putt or made a bad stroke.

Aimpoint express is just another technique/tool that a player can use and it can benefit any player as it helps to validate what you are seeing.

Lots of individual pieces that can be done in multiple orders.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

If you play those courses often, make your own.  By taking the time to do it, you will not only study the greens more, you will also make personal notes on break, speed and soft/hard spots.  Just a thought.

Interesting idea.  Based on my attitude as an engineer, the best way to do this would be to establish some kind of grid, and take "readings" of both slope amount and direction at each node of the grid.  This would be interesting but tedious, and would require some pretty lengthy uninterrupted access to each green.  I wonder if anyone has attempted to do this on their own, and what level of detail they were able to accomplish.  If you do go this route, you should be aware that your personal green map is limited to the same size and scale as the commercial maps.

2 minutes ago, Buffly said:

You're right, to putt well you need all three components to work.  There are three basic elements to putting, as you say, hitting the right line, achieving the right speed, and having the right read.  They are all interrelated, which makes things tougher.  But if you can "master" one of the three, I believe you're ahead of the game.  If you KNOW you have the right read, and you can see that you've achieved the right speed, you can evaluate your ability to hit the intended line.  To me, having confidence in the read relieves any of the potential paralysis.  And as one who has used Aimpoint for a few years, I think I read putts as fast or faster than most anyone I play with.  No looking from multiple angles, , no walking to the other side of the hole, no plumb-bobbing, just a stop or two for a second while walking to the hole and back.  

Reading putts is a skill, just like hitting your intended line, just like speed control is.  Each one is improved by different types of practice.  I'd never tell anyone to omit practice for distance control, and I'd never tell anyone to omit improvement of their green-reading skills.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 1 year later...

Thank you for your cool insights. Friends, some of you have read The Crucible. It is my favorite and I advise you to read it. On the site https://papersowl.com/examples/the-crucible/ you can read more detailed information about this book, the history of its writing and its impact on the world community. In Arthur Miller’s captivating play, The Crucible, the Salem Witch Trials were examined during 1693 and 1694.

Edited by Jasper Bryant
45 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Purchased green books are cheating,

While I agree with a lot of your rant, use of the books is NOT cheating.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

41 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

See my edit above. I know what the rules say,  and I know how I  and many other golfers, both professional and amateur,  feel. Those considering using these books should be aware of that at the least. 

I choose not to speak for others, I speak for myself.  If these books were a big help, everyone would use them.  But as you correctly say, they really don't help anybody.  I would prefer that they not be allowed, but with the rules as they are, if someone is foolish enough to spend $50 to $75 to get a book for each course they play, go for it.  Personally, I'd recommend they take an Aimpoint Express clinic, learn to gather the information for yourself, and learn how to use it, all at the same time.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I actually have one for the new course that I play...but not for greens reading.  I use it as a learning tool from the fairway on approach shots. This particular course has very distinct slopes that are crucial to know for where you want to land the ball.   It sits in my cart and the only time I'll look at it is for my approach shots, depending on pin locations.  After I learn the course better, I'll probably never look at it again.  On the green, I don't need the arrows or heat maps to recognize the slope or determine what speed and line to take.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 6 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, Jasper Bryant said:

Thank you for your cool insights. Friends, some of you have read The Crucible. It is my favorite and I advise you to read it. On the site  https://goodmenproject.com/education-2/affordable-essay-writing-services/ you can read more detailed information about this book, the history of its writing and its impact on the world community. In Arthur Miller’s captivating play, The Crucible, the Salem Witch Trials were examined during 1693 and 1694.

I am afraid to try this..