Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hard draw from shortened shaft

I recently broke the shaft on my driver that was 45.5". Bought a replacement at 44.5" because I wanted to pick up a few more fairways. I'm having huge problems with straightening out a massive draw. I've always had a slight draw, but this thing is exaggerated. I've tried everything I could think of... moving the ball back in my stance, more neutral grip, adjusted driver to neutral and hook settings. I'm not sure if the shorter shaft just squares up faster or what. Need some tips. 

If you need it:

Avg carry ~265/270

Swing speed around 113/115

Kuro Kaged Tini 50g Stiff Flex Shaft

Callaway Big Bertha 2014 - adjustable

Couple of threads on shortened drivers. Some people are more sensitive to swingweight changes and if you are one of them,
You may need to add weight to the head to compensate for the shorter shaft. Don’t know if you put in a different grip, but that will also impact SW if the grip doesn’t weigh the same as the original. Assuming same weight and model shaft so that wouldn’t impact.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Couple of threads on shortened drivers. Some people are more sensitive to swingweight changes and if you are one of them,
You may need to add weight to the head to compensate for the shorter shaft. Don’t know if you put in a different grip, but that will also impact SW if the grip doesn’t weigh the same as the original. Assuming same weight and model shaft so that wouldn’t impact.

This is where I would start. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

As others have mentioned, a 1" change in length on a driver is a big deal - not least because of swing weight, but also the effect on flex assuming like for like shafts. The closure rate on the shorter shaft would be faster, so for a square to closing face angle for the previous driver at 45.5" length (giving a moderate draw perhaps) the shorter shaft with a faster closure rate would start to create hooks or pulls for the same swing path. The face angle needs to be considered relative to the loft - lower loft with an open face at address will close to make loft even lower - reducing backspin, which makes it even harder to control. 

As always - I would recommend a fitting to assess your requirements - a 36 handicap with a 115mph swing speed and a sub 55g shaft in stiff flex sounds like a recipe for wayward shots as it is - and could explain the failure of the first shaft.

Check where your typical strike is too. With the shorter shaft, you may hit them more in the toe causing your hooking ball flight.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

• 3 weeks later...
  • Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/4/2020 at 11:53 AM, Jphill68 said:

I recently broke the shaft on my driver that was 45.5". Bought a replacement at 44.5" because I wanted to pick up a few more fairways. I'm having huge problems with straightening out a massive draw. I've always had a slight draw, but this thing is exaggerated. I've tried everything I could think of... moving the ball back in my stance, more neutral grip, adjusted driver to neutral and hook settings. I'm not sure if the shorter shaft just squares up faster or what. Need some tips. 

If you need it:

Avg carry ~265/270

Swing speed around 113/115

Kuro Kaged Tini 50g Stiff Flex Shaft

Callaway Big Bertha 2014 - adjustable

As others have mentioned, shortening makes the club play at a lower swingweight. 

You can have hotmelt added by a club repair tech to bring the swingweight back to stock. 

You can also try lead tape yourself to see if it would help before committing to hotmelt. 

I'm in agreement with what everyone else has said to this point. 

Only thing I might add is to try and make an appointment with a fitter/pro who has a Trackman, Flightscope, or GCQuad to get some additional data on swings and strikes

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf