TESTERS WANTED! ×

Are golf equipment companies falsely representing their products?

Guest Delete

• Guests
Guest Delete

Are PGA/LPGA sponsored players playing clubs that are markedly different than what is for sale to consumers as "stock" offerings?

If yes, then does that mean golf companies are falsely advertising their equipment, basically lying to consumers?

It has been a question I have been contemplating for some time that I wonder if anyone really knows the answer to?

My assumption is that tour pros are often playing clubs that are either not using shafts available without a huge upcharge, if available at all, and/or not standard length and lie (and grips too even).

Assuming I am right, I propose that any sponsored player must meet two requirements in order to be sponsored: (1) publish the complete specs they are using, and (2) the manufacturer must offer those specs to the consumer (I'm OK if it is for additional cost). 

My opinion is that this will paint a complete picture of the equipment used by pro golfers and might have another intentional ripple: some pros might not want their specs floating around because they might think there is an advantage they might be giving away. I say that if they are wearing advertising then they have already sold out, so disclose all the details. 

The real ripple could be, if I'm right, that people will see how different from stock the clubs really are which will encourage more people to see the need to get fit properly. 

What do you think?

Does anyone know any specs that either are nearly stock or are they super customised?

Yes, the tour pros most often times don't use the stock shafts and have many adjustments done to their equipment, like precise swingweighting with hot melt, etc.

However, I don't think publishing these specs to the general public would have any benefit. The guy or gal that buys equipment specifically because a pro is using that same equipment would probably hit it worse with the pro's spec than with the stock spec. For example, me trying to use DJ's SIM Max with my swingspeed (low 100s) would likely have a much worse result than if I have an off the shelf SIm Max with the stock stiff shaft.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Are PGA/LPGA sponsored players playing clubs that are markedly different than what is for sale to consumers as "stock" offerings? Yes I bet every single one of them. 

If yes, then does that mean golf companies are falsely advertising their equipment, basically lying to consumers? Nope, I haven't seen any company say our tour pros are playing "stock Offerings"

It has been a question I have been contemplating for some time that I wonder if anyone really knows the answer to? Yes

My assumption is that tour pros are often playing clubs that are either not using shafts available without a huge upcharge, if available at all, and/or not standard length and lie (and grips too even). Of course but this doesn't mean they are not available to the public.

Assuming I am right, I propose that any sponsored player must meet two requirements in order to be sponsored: (1) publish the complete specs they are using, and (2) the manufacturer must offer those specs to the consumer (I'm OK if it is for additional cost). You can find many specs and WITB of tour pros.

My opinion is that this will paint a complete picture of the equipment used by pro golfers and might have another intentional ripple: some pros might not want their specs floating around because they might think there is an advantage they might be giving away. I say that if they are wearing advertising then they have already sold out, so disclose all the details. 

The real ripple could be, if I'm right, that people will see how different from stock the clubs really are which will encourage more people to see the need to get fit properly. 

What do you think? 

Does anyone know any specs that either are nearly stock or are they super customised? Everyone who has been fitted has super customized specs to them. 

Now are tolerances different, without a doubt.

Balls could be questioned but it's just a tweak that is offered to players if it fits them better. They are not playing "hot" balls or anything. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

15 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Are PGA/LPGA sponsored players playing clubs that are markedly different than what is for sale to consumers as "stock" offerings?

If yes, then does that mean golf companies are falsely advertising their equipment, basically lying to consumers?

It has been a question I have been contemplating for some time that I wonder if anyone really knows the answer to?

My assumption is that tour pros are often playing clubs that are either not using shafts available without a huge upcharge, if available at all, and/or not standard length and lie (and grips too even).

Assuming I am right, I propose that any sponsored player must meet two requirements in order to be sponsored: (1) publish the complete specs they are using, and (2) the manufacturer must offer those specs to the consumer (I'm OK if it is for additional cost). 

What do you think?

Does anyone know any specs that either are nearly stock or are they super customised?

99% are similar to what we're can buy. However, tour heads are more precise (they measure exact loft, lie and face angle to the tenth of a degree for driver heads and woods. 

Iron and wedge heads are basically off the shelf except for the custom grinds some players have done 

Edit: just saw the part about stock referring to shafts. Every tour pro is fit so I doubt any of them are playing the stocks shaft offering and if they are, its because they were fit into it. 

Heck, I'm nowhere near a tour pro and the only club in my bag with a 'stock' shaft is my putter. 

It doesn't mean that stock offerings are bad - it just means they didn't fit me 

I don’t have the game a pro has so what they’re playing is irrelevant to me. Like Jlukes said, much of what they’re playing is just like what we can buy however it’s measured to be exact so it conforms and there’s a lot of higher end shafts involved. At the end of the day, I only care about what I can hit well, not someone on tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I dont know that they are misrepresenting but the clubs that the tours play often arent something that you can buy off the rack but honestly, the clubs that the pros play probably wouldnt be right for most weekend hackers.

I would say though that the pros gets the best of the best.  A lot of the OEMs often test a bunch of drivers and save the ones that perform the best for their tour pros.  Callaway got busted last year for having drivers that were nonconforming and it was later found that the clubs were just barely conforming when they were new and that over the course of play they wore to the point of no longer being conforming.  Of course, that depends which story you believe but Im sure theyre all guility of this..

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

99% are similar to what we're can buy. However, tour heads are more precise (they measure exact loft, lie and face angle to the tenth of a degree for driver heads and woods. 

Iron and wedge heads are basically off the shelf except for the custom grinds some players have done 

Edit: just saw the part about stock referring to shafts. Every tour pro is fit so I doubt any of them are playing the stocks shaft offering and if they are, its because they were fit into it. 

Heck, I'm nowhere near a tour pro and the only club in my bag with a 'stock' shaft is my putter. 

Nailed and in some cases a brand might make a  club loft that is only available on tour like TM has/had with a 8 or 8.5* driver head because they have 1 or two on staff that prefer the size, loft and or launch window it gives.

Or like Callaway with the mavrik drivers for certain your players or ball companies that have balls with slightly different characteristics that fit a handful of players and it doesn’t make financial sense to mass produce for retail 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There are a number of companies that offer the same level of fitting that Pro's receive - the kicker is cost to do this. I do not see any issue with the way products are marketed as in 90% of cases it would make very little difference to the average golfers game as the inconsistency is the person holding the club, not the equipment. Secondly as a amateur we buy a set of clubs if we are lucky every 5-15 years where most pro's  change there clubs on a regular basis, some use new wedges every tournament. The one thing that I think should be address is the quality of the golf balls. The only ball that you can buy that is used by a Pro in competition is the Bridgestone Tiger Woods Ball. All others get provided balls that have been checked to ensure they are almost identical.   

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

It would be like you trying to wear someone else's glasses. A pro's set is custom fit to him / her. If you have ever been in a manufacturers tour van it is quite unbelievable. They have every spec for every club their players are hitting. Someone damages a club they can make a replacement in few minutes so it is available for the next round. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• Guests
Guest Delete
8 hours ago, jlukes said:

Great response. 

I guess I forgot to mention/question custom specs like loft (strong/weak) and even maybe a different sole grind. 

I just have to think that without publishing the specs the pros play there could be a bait and switch. 

Clubs the big box stores have to offer also have to fit the largest segments of the target golfing population based on the head design category (players/game improvement etc). 

If specs were published then it would reveal what manufacturer has clubs being played closest to standard specs. This would seem to equate to the company also having more integrity and better engineering. 

Conversely, a result of the most altered from stock spec would reveal the poorest engineering and a less honest company.

Obviously, only knowing the specs would we even be able to really figure all this out for sure. 

4 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Great response. 

I guess I forgot to mention/question custom specs like loft (strong/weak) and even maybe a different sole grind. 

I just have to think that without publishing the specs the pros play there could be a bait and switch. 

Clubs the big box stores have to offer also have to fit the largest segments of the target golfing population based on the head design category (players/game improvement etc). 

If specs were published then it would reveal what manufacturer has clubs being played closest to standard specs. This would seem to equate to the company also having more integrity and better engineering. 

Conversely, a result of the most altered from stock spec would reveal the poorest engineering and a less honest company.

Obviously, only knowing the specs would we even be able to really figure all this out for sure. 

More precisely measured specs do not equate to bait and switch at all. 

These heads and shafts are coming off the same manufacturing lines that the products consumers buy come off. 

As mentioned above, some company have tour only balls, which can make things a little shady, but golf club heads and shafts arent really an issue 

4 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Great response. 

The thing is there is no such thing as standard. TM's standard lie angle is different than Mizuno, same for length.

Even if they published all the tour specs and offered them at an upcharge, what good would it do for the average golfer?

As an example: Tiger's blades. You can get the same specs if you want, but who can actually play them?

I honestly don't see what this has to do with being less honest or poor engineering. Just like cars, companies are selling you their base model starting at $XX.XXX. Now if you want the sunroof, that's gonna cost you. If you want the 5.0L V8, that's gonna cost you, too. Oh, you want AT? That's gonna be an upcharge, etc...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

For a driver I doubt the stated loft is exactly accurate for most of the heads.  Got fit for a Wishon driver years ago with a loft designation of nine degrees.  Head had been measured at Wishon and was actually just over ten when purchased.

Not much different than when you buy clothes, vanity sizing is not just in women’s clothing.  My actual waist size is just over 35” but I wear 34” and in some models a 32”.  Clothing companies are not being deceitful they just size to what their customer base expects.  It is our job to try them on and make sure it works for us just like golf equipment.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I agree with what is being said in the thread. Depending on the players visibility there are some that may be under contract with company A but play clubs from company B. This could be because company A hasn’t developed a club that the player likes or they haven’t or won’t make the club available for retail.
We also know that generally players aren’t under contract for all 14 clubs so what is on the hat,
Bag, or headcover may not fully represent what is in the bag.

At the end of the day, I don’t care what specs a player has or if I can get those clubs or shafts since they don’t impact my game. The only thing about a pros WITB that interests me is potential equipment that may hit the market.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Great response. 

If a player has his irons 2* flat, 1* strong and 1/2” short. That’s not standard spec for the brand he is with but it’s nots something that can’t be done for th e avgs consumer either, that’s what fittings are for. Tour players have their woods hot melted for various reasons, that’s not standard spec but it’s something that an amateur can do themselves or pay someone to do. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If a player has his irons 2* flat, 1* strong and 1/2” short. That’s not standard spec for the brand he is with but it’s nots something that can’t be done for th e avgs consumer either, that’s what fittings are for. Tour players have their woods hot melted for various reasons, that’s not standard spec but it’s something that an amateur can do themselves or pay someone to do. 

Agree. As an amateur you can have almost anything done to your clubs that the pros have. I have hot melt in my SIM Max done by the same guy that worked on Rory's clubs and other former Nike players... But I got this done because I cut down my driver and desired to keep the swingweight about the same.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

I think naïve 17 year old me wanted to play the same clubs as the pros as I thought they were better in some ways.  Somewhat smarter and better looking 33 year old me, now knows that yes they may have a bit superior equipment because of more attention to detail and less mass production, BUT I know that my game needs specific adjustments for my swing and tendencies and the pros are on such a different level than us mortals that my game would likely suffer.

Edited by juspoole

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

3 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I think naïve 17 year old me wanted to play the same clubs as the pros as I thought they were better in some ways.  Somewhat smarter and better looking 33 year old me, now knows that yes they may have a bit superior equipment because of more attention to detail and less mass production, BUT I know that my game needs specific adjustments for my game and the pros are on such a different level than us mortals that my game would likely suffer.

Very few pieces of pro equipment comes from a different manufacturing process or line than the retail stuff. The tolerances on specs are tighter on what makes it to the tour trucks but even those aren’t spot on. 

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Very few pieces of pro equipment comes from a different manufacturing process or line than the retail stuff. The tolerances on specs are tighter on what makes it to the tour trucks but even those aren’t spot on. 

And even with retail heads, there are some places where you can pick a retail head with specific spec. Like they will have measured each head and you can pick from the bunch. If you want 10.2 degrees on your driver head you can pick the one that measures closest to 10.2. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

And even with retail heads, there are some places where you can pick a retail head with specific spec. Like they will have measured each head and you can pick from the bunch. If you want 10.2 degrees on your driver head you can pick the one that measures closest to 10.2. 

This is common in any pro sport, not specific to golf. There will always be some manufacturing variances, and most of the time an amateur would never even notice, but a pro can feel the difference. In downhill ski racing for example, pros (or their equipment managers) will get access to basically the full stock of off-the-line equipment. Due to the ski construction process (fiberglass/carbon/wood/metal laminates) every ski is different - the differences are probably less than 1%, but when you're racing with margins of 100ths of a second that matters. The pros will hand inspect and flex text thousands of skis, and then take for themselves the 20 or so that they like best to get them through the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some pros who are testing multiples of the exact same shaft to find one that feels best, because due to the manufacturing process the flex or balance point might be 0.5 cm further up or down the shaft then what is advertised.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS