TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sirchunks blade experiment and restoration

sirchunksalot

Those are looking great in the bag! Good to hear your finding some versatility around the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

4 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Those are looking great in the bag! Good to hear your finding some versatility around the green.

I appreciate you asking how they are around the green, it gave me motivation to try something different. It really helped today on the hard, fast greens. I hit another bump and run on 7 that I just carried about 20 feet too far. I was still left in a position to putt, now I just need to dial in the distance control. 

I appreciate you asking how they are around the green, it gave me motivation to try something different. It really helped today on the hard, fast greens. I hit another bump and run on 7 that I just carried about 20 feet too far. I was still left in a position to putt, now I just need to dial in the distance control. 

I’ve really enjoyed using some of the bump and runs style shots today. I left myself with 2 or 3 tap ins to save par.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

7 minutes ago, deejaid said:

It looks to me like you need some persimmon woods in that bag. emoji16.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've definitely thought about it, it'd be interesting to see how well I could hit them now. When I first started playing, my brother bought me a small set of clubs that consisted of the odd numbered irons and the 1, 3, 5 woods. I honestly hit the irons better than the woods back then. 

I already have an older putter, might be time to head back to the thrift shop and look for some woods to complete the classic bag. 

Fun Project!! Looking forward to the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Fun Project!! Looking forward to the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I appreciate it! I'm definitely having a lot of fun getting out of my comfort zone. It's crazy, but I feel excited about getting these clubs out of the bargain bin and giving them the play they deserve even if it's not the quality of play they were designed for. I'm hoping to find an older sand wedge to compliment the set. 

@deejaid I found a set of these at ReStore, they are graphite shafted. Would these qualify as a decent set of woods to compliment my set? The grips are roached, the the condition is better than this picture. I honestly didn't realize they were Honma. Screenshot_20200613-195926_Firefox.jpg.7b4a8451627bae254d05672123f2a674.jpg

@sirchunksalot awesome thread and those irons look gorgeous after a little touch up work. I need to do that to the staffs that I picked up. I still haven’t worked up the nerve to take mine on the course yet. Keep working, I’m going to do a classic bag challenge later in the year. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

8 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

@sirchunksalot awesome thread and those irons look gorgeous after a little touch up work. I need to do that to the staffs that I picked up. I still haven’t worked up the nerve to take mine on the course yet. Keep working, I’m going to do a classic bag challenge later in the year. 

That sounds like a good time! I wouldn't be able to hang with some of the guys that play them on the regular, but I'm all in for it.

No worries!  It’s all for fun like the HRC

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

My wife and I were talking today about how being part of the forum adds to how much fun I have playing this game. It's the stuff like the HRC and a classic club challenge that really expands on the experiences we have and are able to share. I had never planned on getting a set of old clubs again, yet during the lockdown I was inspired to and here I am hitting them terribly and having fun doing it. 

[mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] I found a set of these at ReStore, they are graphite shafted. Would these qualify as a decent set of woods to compliment my set? The grips are roached, the the condition is better than this picture. I honestly didn't realize they were Honma. Screenshot_20200613-195926_Firefox.jpg.7b4a8451627bae254d05672123f2a674.jpg

Well you want to make sure they are in good playing condition which is more important than the brand of club. Many times the face inserts are loose which will really compromise the head. Also, the early graphite shafts are a bit whippy.

I’d recommend anyone that wants to try playing persimmon woods to spend just a few dollars more on a quality set to game. If the clubs need work they will be a struggle to play and will lead to discouragement.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

7 hours ago, deejaid said:

Well you want to make sure they are in good playing condition which is more important than the brand of club. Many times the face inserts are loose which will really compromise the head. Also, the early graphite shafts are a bit whippy.

I’d recommend anyone that wants to try playing persimmon woods to spend just a few dollars more on a quality set to game. If the clubs need work they will be a struggle to play and will lead to discouragement.

I hadn't thought about how whippy they might be. We hit the store up at 4:45 and they closed at 5, so I really didn't have time to give them a thorough look over. At a glance I noticed the whipping looked good, the grips were bad, the head was still in pretty good shape, and the shaft was graphite. I couldn't even find a flex printed on it, just it was rated for 80-100 mph swing speed. I really appreciate your advice, you've definitely got a lot more knowledge about traditional clubs than I do. 

I hadn't thought about how whippy they might be. We hit the store up at 4:45 and they closed at 5, so I really didn't have time to give them a thorough look over. At a glance I noticed the whipping looked good, the grips were bad, the head was still in pretty good shape, and the shaft was graphite. I couldn't even find a flex printed on it, just it was rated for 80-100 mph swing speed. I really appreciate your advice, you've definitely got a lot more knowledge about traditional clubs than I do. 

I have a Wood Brothers persimmon driver from the mid 1990’s with a “stiff” graphite shaft and when swinging it feels like a noodle. It just feels like you can can’t control it.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I went to the range again today and was seeing better results than last time. I started out with a severe case of both the chunks and thins. I spent some time working on a drill where you place the ball forward in your stance with your club in the normal position. I hit some decent shots like this, nothing spectacular but the ball was getting in the air. Switched back to normal and started to see better results. 

I also took the Atomics PW and 4 iron with me because the lofts are the same as the 8 and 2 iron in the Wilson's. They performed comparably as far as distance, with the Atomics displaying a draw bias. The Wilson's were pretty straight, the 2 iron off the tee I tended to pull, but it flew straight left. 

I'm taking the Wilson's out of the bag this week, I'm supposed to have a round with a friend of mine and I still feel more comfortable with the Atomics. I put the blades in my spare bag, so if I get the urge to take them to the range they're grab and go. 

After following your journey you have inspired me to try the set of Beryllium Copper irons I picked up last year. Been pitching balls in my yard (I have 3 acres) for the past few days with the PW and like you, bad hits are magnified, but when you hit a good one it's like throwing darts. I was amazed at the improved accuracy over my G410's. Playing 9 tomorrow with them!!!

Thanks for the inspiration !!!

Chris 

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

1 hour ago, LeftyHawk said:

After following your journey you have inspired me to try the set of Beryllium Copper irons I picked up last year. Been pitching balls in my yard (I have 3 acres) for the past few days with the PW and like you, bad hits are magnified, but when you hit a good one it's like throwing darts. I was amazed at the improved accuracy over my G410's. Playing 9 tomorrow with them!!!

Thanks for the inspiration !!!

Chris 

That's awesome to hear! I bet the Beryllium copper feels amazing when you hit it pure. Let me know how it goes and have fun with them! 

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Honma 747 XL woods from the thrift shop I was talking about earlier. 1946-01.jpeg.d5636761056c8c9a0163b7f986240eb4.jpeg

My wife had to go shopping and I had her pick these up, I couldn't resist. I was disappointed slightly when I got home from work and saw they were not persimmon, but graphite. I was looking at them in the light and saw the graphite pattern staring at me. 

So, let's make some lemonade of of lemons! I'm going to use these as an introductory set to smaller headed, more traditionally shaped woods. I plan on playing with them for now and learning to properly strike them before buying a set of nicer persimmon woods that probably would have mutilated with my ball striking prowess. I'm also contemplating using these to learn to regrip clubs myself. I'll need to do some research on how to do it, but if I mess it up I won't feel too bad and then take them to someone who knows what they're doing. 

24 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's awesome to hear! I bet the Beryllium copper feels amazing when you hit it pure. Let me know how it goes and have fun with them! 

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Honma 747 XL woods from the thrift shop I was talking about earlier. 1946-01.jpeg.d5636761056c8c9a0163b7f986240eb4.jpeg

My wife had to go shopping and I had her pick these up, I couldn't resist. I was disappointed slightly when I got home from work and saw they were not persimmon, but graphite. I was looking at them in the light and saw the graphite pattern staring at me. 

So, let's make some lemonade of of lemons! I'm going to use these as an introductory set to smaller headed, more traditionally shaped woods. I plan on playing with them for now and learning to properly strike them before buying a set of nicer persimmon woods that probably would have mutilated with my ball striking prowess. I'm also contemplating using these to learn to regrip clubs myself. I'll need to do some research on how to do it, but if I mess it up I won't feel too bad and then take them to someone who knows what they're doing. 

My wife still has her steel shafted PowerBilt persimmons from the 1960's... blades too!!  Every once in awhile she gets the driver out and can hit the ball as far as she does with her L flex TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 driver; that is, unless she doesn't hit the sweet spot.  🤣  Then she remembers why she upgraded.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm also contemplating using these to learn to regrip clubs myself. I'll need to do some research on how to do it, but if I mess it up I won't feel too bad and then take them to someone who knows what they're doing. 

Regripping is easier that you'd think. Make sure to get one of those rubber inserts for a vice to hold the club and a hook knife for removing the old grips, those will help tons. Grip solvent is also a must, easier to slip on the new grips than anything else. I started doing my own a couple of years back, I've re gripped my clubs more times than I can count. You got this!!!

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

42 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My wife still has her steel shafted PowerBilt persimmons from the 1960's... blades too!!  Every once in awhile she gets the driver out and can hit the ball as far as she does with her L flex TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 driver; that is, unless she doesn't hit the sweet spot.  🤣  Then she remembers why she upgraded.

That's pretty impressive, the RBZ is a beast of a driver and to hit a persimmon club as far is a feat. It's crazy how much more forgiveness they've been able to engineer in modern clubs and it definitely shows when you got something older.

4 minutes ago, LeftyHawk said:

Regripping is easier that you'd think. Make sure to get one of those rubber inserts for a vice to hold the club and a hook knife for removing the old grips, those will help tons. Grip solvent is also a must, easier to slip on the new grips than anything else. I started doing my own a couple of years back, I've re gripped my clubs more times than I can count. You got this!!!

Chris

I appreciate the advice and the encouragement! Definitely going to try it, just need to clear out a path to the vice in the building. That's going to be fun...

21 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I appreciate the advice and the encouragement! Definitely going to try it, just need to clear out a path to the vice in the building. That's going to be fun...

I suggest 2 rubber shaft holders for the vise, unless it's a small vise.  More surface area provides more stability.  +1 on the hook knife to get the grips off; don't try it with a straight box cutter blade.  Can be done, but dangerous and tricky to not damage graphite shafts.

If you have an air compressor, read up on some of the threads about using air to blow the grips on.  No grip tape and no solvent needed.  Very easy.  THEN, the next time you change grips, you can blow them off with air.  Very easy, quick.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I suggest 2 rubber shaft holders for the vise, unless it's a small vise.  More surface area provides more stability.  +1 on the hook knife to get the grips off; don't try it with a straight box cutter blade.  Can be done, but dangerous and tricky to not damage graphite shafts.

If you have an air compressor, read up on some of the threads about using air to blow the grips on.  No grip tape and no solvent needed.  Very easy.  THEN, the next time you change grips, you can blow them off with air.  Very easy, quick.  

I hadn't thought about using an air compressor, even though I've seen it mentioned on here in the past. I'll definitely look into it!

I took the clubs outside and took some pictures, I wanted to give y'all an idea of how the head looks. I didn't actually notice it when I looked in the store, but I was short on time and was focused on other areas of the club. 20200615_184845-01.jpeg.37fa9484830b17fa2d9132f03fe5cfdd.jpeg

The grips are definitely ratty and I appreciate all the responses on how to change them. They really need it.20200615_184903-01.jpeg.90c3b3ce48cfa5b09c96416e807f51c9.jpeg

The shafts are definitely beefy and it feels about as flexible as rebar. It's a K3 System flexxx in stiff and weighs in at 94 grams. 20200615_184927-01.jpeg.4697dd4a0882ab3f4460808e8fa44264.jpeg

If I ever want to upgrade to the red stick in the SuperSpeed system, I think I found a winner. I used to work with a guy that might be able to swing it effectively, he used to carry heavy buckets up ladders and had forearms as big around as my dachshund.20200322_213604-01.jpeg.ce4f8becb2268f6255575c85fd7aaf38.jpeg

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I hadn't thought about using an air compressor, even though I've seen it mentioned on here in the past. I'll definitely look into it!

Watch the video on the Pure Grips website. Shows hot to do it.  Don't have to use Pure grips.

Since I don't have to cut them off, I save the old grips to put on a club I want to try out, or if you have a club to sell that has poor grip, I can put on a good used one.

Interesting woods. But they are not Honma and I don’t believe they are even wood.

If I recall correctly these were made by Golfsmith back in the 1990’s. I believe the head is made of carbon fiber. I remember seeing a set of these online a few years ago but I can’t recall the specifics of them.

Cool clubs.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Oops.... didn’t see the rest of your post below your picture where you realized they weren’t wood.

If you want a good playing set of wood woods though, shot me a PM.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

5 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Oh man, those are going to reverberate clear up to your fillings during the HRC 🙂

Vibrating GIFs | Know Your Meme

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)