TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sirchunks blade experiment and restoration

sirchunksalot

9 hours ago, Erik-M said:

Nice find, put a fire in me to find some old garage sale "woods"to hone in strike!!!

I think you should! It'd be fun to hear about you out driving @GolfSpy MPR with a persimmon driver and hearing his reaction. Plus, this whole experiment has been fun and is really opening up new avenues to explore in this game. I would love to see what you could find and how well you could hit it. 

19 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Watch the video on the Pure Grips website. Shows hot to do it.  Don't have to use Pure grips.

Since I don't have to cut them off, I save the old grips to put on a club I want to try out, or if you have a club to sell that has poor grip, I can put on a good used one.

I appreciate the resources, and I'm definitely going to check it out. I haven't had a chance to watch the video, yet, but I have a habit of watching golf videos to chill out in the evenings and I think this will make perfect viewing. 

On 6/15/2020 at 6:05 PM, sirchunksalot said:

That's awesome to hear! I bet the Beryllium copper feels amazing when you hit it pure. Let me know how it goes and have fun with them! 

Played 9 today and the results were about the same as you experienced.  Ball flight was much flatter than the G410's and distance was off by 1 club. What really surprised me was,  like you I felt like I was throwing darts at the green from 150 in. Everything went where I was aiming,  the only issue was the flatter ball flight.  

Definitely worth further exploring.  One thing that really impressed me was the PW. A little more work with this and it may replace the 4 wedges i currently carry. 

Here's a picture of what I'm using. 

Great thread,  

Chris 

20200614_101707.jpg

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

14 minutes ago, LeftyHawk said:

Played 9 today and the results were about the same as you experienced.  Ball flight was much flatter than the G410's and distance was off by 1 club. What really surprised me was,  like you I felt like I was throwing darts at the green from 150 in. Everything went where I was aiming,  the only issue was the flatter ball flight.  

Definitely worth further exploring.  One thing that really impressed me was the PW. A little more work with this and it may replace the 4 wedges i currently carry. 

Here's a picture of what I'm using. 

Great thread,  

Chris 

20200614_101707.jpg

Thank you for the update, and I love the patina of that club! It's amazing how these older clubs are just flagstick seekers, I expected the lack of offset to see balls going right but they were point and shoot. I bet those felt buttery of the sweet spot. I can see why people are choosing combo sets the way they fly in the short irons. 

I took the Wilson's out of the bag for the weekend in order to play against a friend. The Atomics went back in the bag and I shot kind of meh. The biggest culprit was driver, it put me in some bad spots that no amount of forgiveness could rescue me from. I also had a fit with my 3 wood and should have completely forgotten it was in my bag. 

That being said, I took a couple of the classic clubs out to the range with me before the round and hit some balls. The 6 iron helped me dial in strike and I hit the 747 XL Driver I picked up from ReStore. That bad boy was a hook machine! I got decent distance out of it, but all I could say was "fore left!". It would definitely be the club to go you on a couple of holes that dogleg that way. Hang out out way right and let it curl back in. 

After the round we went to our friend's house for some on the deck social distancing dinner. While there, he mentioned he had his grandfather's old clubs and I asked to see them. He had a full set, 1,3, and 5 woods and all the irons from 2-PW. They were a Titleist Accu-Flo set from the early 80's. uivmqnuikrhiugahurcs.jpg.baf2c0073cfbf714c94f1224c82acdfb.jpg

(Not his, I left my phone on the deck) His were in slightly better shape and it took all I had not to snatch them up to bring them home to polish and remove the shaft rust. I might eventually ask if I can come over and do it, just because it's addictive and I would love to see how they look clean. I think it's wonderful he has them, it's a good way to remember his grandfather. 

I want to send out a special thank you to two members here, [mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] and [mention=75777]toehold57[/mention] for going above and beyond in some personal messages and for helping contribute to my journey into classical clubs.
[mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] is the Godfather of Club Restoration and Knowledge here on the forum and his advice on both restoring classic clubs and diving into persimmon has really helped me out. Also, I bought a set of woods from him and they arrived today. They're a Spaulding Bobby Jones set that I fell in love with on his eBay page. 20200625_164133-01.jpeg.fba852b92de7db3311845c9b8fdccb4a.jpeg20200625_164418-01.jpeg.50ff5c469e832977c85de4162fae83dd.jpeg20200625_164432-01.jpeg.936e1690ad8d6e52277964d6fec02b76.jpeg20200625_164511-01.jpeg.3a778acaa462deac5b929422698ea866.jpeg
I was looking at all the clubs he had to offer and these just stood out. I love the black coloring and the cursive script gives them a classy look. I don't know why, but they took me back to my childhood hanging out at bowling alleys when mom bowled in league. One of the old alleys was in the basement of an old mall and a lot of the designs on this club reminded me of the lanes, the ball return, and the general design of this place that was part of a 1960's open air mall.
I also want to thank [mention=75777]toehold57[/mention] for reaching out to me asking if I was still looking for old woods. He found a set on the Goodwill website that were up for auction in his area and only available for local pickup. He offered to pick them up and ship them to me. They're not available to be picked up until July 13th and I can't wait to see them! They'll probably be my regular gamers as I'm just getting used to hitting persimmons, with the Spaulding's being brought out for special occasions and I'll eventually build a display for them, as they are too beautiful to beat to death. [mention=75777]toehold57[/mention] reaching out to me really fortified my belief that we are not just a forum, but a community. 
I can't wait to get the classic bag out and play some rounds, it might not be pretty on the scorecard but it'll be fun. 

You are welcome Sir! I love helping others experience classic golf. Like you, I love the looks of the old clubs. The 1950’s/60’s graphics just transport you back in time to the era of Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player. I’m glad the Spaldings bring back some pleasant childhood memories for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Hey, July 13th is a long ways off. You may really be in love with those Spaulding’s by that time!

Cool that Deejaid had some good ones for you to pick up

It ain’t that I’m going to lose money on this deal, I paid $12.50 for 6 woods and a half dozen irons 🤣

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

13 minutes ago, toehold57 said:

Hey, July 13th is a long ways off. You may really be in love with those Spaulding’s by that time!

Cool that Deejaid had some good ones for you to pick up emoji106.png

It ain’t that I’m going to lose money on this deal, I paid $12.50 for 6 woods and a half dozen irons 🤣

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I just took the 4 wood outside and tried hitting a foam ball, I'm already afraid I'm going to eat the toe off these things. It was not pretty at all. Anyone giving persimmon lessons? 

I just took the 4 wood outside and tried hitting a foam ball, I'm already afraid I'm going to eat the toe off these things. It was not pretty at all. Anyone giving persimmon lessons? 

I gave those up when I was a teenager. But you are inspiring me to find a club somewhere just to hit one again.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I gave those up when I was a teenager. But you are inspiring me to find a club somewhere just to hit one again.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Honestly, you should try it! I'm having a blast trying to hit these older clubs. I pretty much swore off them after my first set, I couldn't hit them to save my life. I think adding a challenge to this already hard game is fun. 

I want to send out a special thank you to two members here, [mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] and [mention=75777]toehold57[/mention] for going above and beyond in some personal messages and for helping contribute to my journey into classical clubs.
[mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] is the Godfather of Club Restoration and Knowledge here on the forum and his advice on both restoring classic clubs and diving into persimmon has really helped me out. Also, I bought a set of woods from him and they arrived today. They're a Spaulding Bobby Jones set that I fell in love with on his eBay page. 20200625_164133-01.jpeg.fba852b92de7db3311845c9b8fdccb4a.jpeg20200625_164418-01.jpeg.50ff5c469e832977c85de4162fae83dd.jpeg20200625_164432-01.jpeg.936e1690ad8d6e52277964d6fec02b76.jpeg20200625_164511-01.jpeg.3a778acaa462deac5b929422698ea866.jpeg
I was looking at all the clubs he had to offer and these just stood out. I love the black coloring and the cursive script gives them a classy look. I don't know why, but they took me back to my childhood hanging out at bowling alleys when mom bowled in league. One of the old alleys was in the basement of an old mall and a lot of the designs on this club reminded me of the lanes, the ball return, and the general design of this place that was part of a 1960's open air mall.
I also want to thank [mention=75777]toehold57[/mention] for reaching out to me asking if I was still looking for old woods. He found a set on the Goodwill website that were up for auction in his area and only available for local pickup. He offered to pick them up and ship them to me. They're not available to be picked up until July 13th and I can't wait to see them! They'll probably be my regular gamers as I'm just getting used to hitting persimmons, with the Spaulding's being brought out for special occasions and I'll eventually build a display for them, as they are too beautiful to beat to death. [mention=75777]toehold57[/mention] reaching out to me really fortified my belief that we are not just a forum, but a community. 
I can't wait to get the classic bag out and play some rounds, it might not be pretty on the scorecard but it'll be fun. 

You’re getting some great help from knowledgeable guys w this experiment. I think your on your way to having some fun with this, great job

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, Rickp said:

You’re getting some great help from knowledgeable guys w this experiment. I think your on your way to having some fun with this, great jobemoji106.png

I'm really thankful for all the help from everyone here. I've learned a lot and been pointed to some great resources to learn more. 

I appreciate the encouragement, it means a lot!

This thread is bringing back memories of the first “set” of clubs I used after my junior set... basically whatever my dad had lying around.  I think they were all metal, but still the old smaller heads.  I hit some ok shots with those and a lot of bad ones. Haha

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 6/15/2020 at 7:51 PM, Kenny B said:

I suggest 2 rubber shaft holders for the vise, unless it's a small vise.  More surface area provides more stability.  +1 on the hook knife to get the grips off; don't try it with a straight box cutter blade.  Can be done, but dangerous and tricky to not damage graphite shafts.

If you have an air compressor, read up on some of the threads about using air to blow the grips on.  No grip tape and no solvent needed.  Very easy.  THEN, the next time you change grips, you can blow them off with air.  Very easy, quick.  

@sirchunksalot  second this all the way.  Some grips need a little help getting started and 90+% rubbing alcohol is my trick (already in the house). 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Today was the first day I've been able to get to the range with a full bag of classic clubs. I can already tell you that the woods are going to be a learning process. I hit more worm burners than I have in a long time. It took me a while to figure them out to the point I could get them airborne, even off the tee. Once I figured out ball position and most importantly, tempo, I was able to hit a few decent shots. They weren't anything to write home about, but it gives me a good starting point to be able to play these clubs. 

The irons continue to impress me, they just fly straight and once I can feel comfortable to take the governor off, they'll become weapons. 

Back to tempo, it took a while but I finally figured out I was rushing the transition. Once I started the downswing slowly and revved it up from there, I started to hit them better. I really had a hard time with the 4 wood off the turf but was able to eventually elevate a few. 

I made a video of a few swings, one of which would have made a nice flop shot. I really don't feel the need to gloss out over with good shots, if I could edit anything out it would be my belly. Dang, the camera adds about 50 pounds. I need to put this on repeat and maybe I'll get motivated to drop some weight. 

You’re getting into this, great job

Rick

Left Hand, 

I appreciate it! It's tough, but I'm hoping it'll make me better. 

BTW the camera does add 50 lbs , in my case 60

Rick

Left Hand, 

I appreciate it! It's tough, but I'm hoping it'll make me better. 

BTW the camera does add 50 lbs , in my case 60

Rick

Left Hand, 

I played 9 holes today with a full bag of classic clubs, which I've posted about in both the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge thread and How'd you play, so I won't recount the details. What I will say is, I'm loving the irons. I don't think I could have asked for a better head/shaft combo than what I found and feel truly blessed to have found the whole set. They just work for me. They fly straight and when I stand over them, I'm not scared of them at all. I'm confident when I look down and see a 19° 2 iron with no offset and a small head that I'll hit a good shot. It's crazy, but I was expecting to be shaking in my boots hitting it.

The persimmons need a lot of work, I only made good contact once today and that was when I already hit my playing drive and dropped another ball for practice. I didn't have anyone behind me on the course today and did take the opportunity to get in a little on course practice in. 

I'll probably bench the persimmons for rounds until I can get some more range time in to figure them out. 

I played 9 holes today with a full bag of classic clubs, which I've posted about in both the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge thread and How'd you play, so I won't recount the details. What I will say is, I'm loving the irons. I don't think I could have asked for a better head/shaft combo than what I found and feel truly blessed to have found the whole set. They just work for me. They fly straight and when I stand over them, I'm not scared of them at all. I'm confident when I look down and see a 19° 2 iron with no offset and a small head that I'll hit a good shot. It's crazy, but I was expecting to be shaking in my boots hitting it.
The persimmons need a lot of work, I only made good contact once today and that was when I already hit my playing drive and dropped another ball for practice. I didn't have anyone behind me on the course today and did take the opportunity to get in a little on course practice in. 
I'll probably bench the persimmons for rounds until I can get some more range time in to figure them out. 

I’m sure you’ll do fine but will have a learning curve.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 7/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I want to say thank you to @deejaid, when we were talking a couple of weeks ago he mentioned he had some 1930's persimmon woods he was looking to re-home and asked if I would be interested for only the price of shipping. I said yes and today they arrived. IMG_2444.thumb.jpg.8d00a882ac9af378da4475ed831968b3.jpg.cb87a648333c895d78e3b71a210b626a.jpg

I'm using his photo, I took them out and looked them over and it them back in the box until I can build a display. They are beautiful! I'm planning on making a spot in the spare room to work on clubs and figure they'll look good in there. As soon as the wife clears out the stuff we're wanting to put in a yard sale.

I also stopped by today at the thrift store and picked up a single iron to clean up and it'll probably become part of the display. 20200701_165832-01.jpeg.2b043f66c693b04b16f978722c7a852d.jpeg20200701_173002-01.jpeg.6fe0df8bcf158888bcc8177b95832afa.jpeg20200701_165837-01.jpeg.62571cdabd63f1f892c1275df813fa57.jpeg20200701_173008-01.jpeg.b5beeba52035e22cc602948adf24eeb8.jpeg

Initially I was going to just get this one, but found the full set and went with them. I regretted not picking up the Hogan, so I rectified that mistake today. I've never hit a Hogan, so it'll go to the range. I did hit some foam balls with it, but I want to see how it feels. Now if I can only find a full set of old Mizuno irons... I'll probably just keep dreaming, I don't see anyone dropping them off at a thrift store. Eventually, though. 

Uh oh, me thinks someone has gone down a bunny hole and may never return 😄.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

28 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I swear, I don't find buying old clubs completely and totally addicting....

Just partially and somewhat?

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Just partially and somewhat?

I'll promise you that if it weren't for how things are in the world right now, I would drive to Florida just to hit thrift stores and I detest driving through Atlanta. With a passion. I can only imagine the thrifty goodness that's been squirreled away down there. 

16 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'll promise you that if it weren't for how things are in the world right now, I would drive to Florida just to hit thrift stores and I detest driving through Atlanta. With a passion. I can only imagine the thrifty goodness that's been squirreled away down there. 

Myrtle Beach might be another good place to look and you could avoid Atlanta 🙂  

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Myrtle Beach might be another good place to look and you could avoid Atlanta 🙂  

I didn't even think about that....you can't throw a stone in Myrtle Beach without hitting a golf course and there would be a lot of older clubs there. 

I've only been there once back around 1997 when I was still in the beginning stages of playing. I did play Possum Trot with the ex in-laws and regret not playing more courses.