TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sirchunks blade experiment and restoration

sirchunksalot

Buying vintage clubs vs new clubs is like shopping at a TJ Maxx vs JC Penney. You want the new club, you know where to find it. If you are looking for a certain vintage club it is the thrill of the hunt, you never know what you’ll find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

23 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Buying vintage clubs vs new clubs is like shopping at a TJ Maxx vs JC Penney. You want the new club, you know where to find it. If you are looking for a certain vintage club it is the thrill of the hunt, you never know what you’ll find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love me some TJ Maxx, that's for sure. My wife and I stopped by there today and I picked up some socks and an Under Armour polo. You're right, the thrill of the hunt is addicting and under all that rust is a beautiful discovery waiting to happen. 

I swear, I don't find buying old clubs completely and totally addicting....

Right......

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Myrtle Beach might be another good place to look and you could avoid Atlanta   

Big Stu’s stomping ground. He can hook you up!

Rick

Left Hand, 

33 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Fun topic! I just regripped a set of Wilson SwingLite irons. I am strongly considering playing them this week, but have NO clue the distances compared to my current irons.

A quick google can give you the lofts and then you can compare them to your gamers

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Unfortunately there is next to zero information on these irons.

I hate hearing that, I saw your post earlier asking about these and l looked on ironfinder.com a and couldn't find any information. Hopefully deejaid can find something for you. I would conservatively play them with a two club distance loss and see how they perform. Best of luck to you!

Brilliant thread, I can't believe it's taken me this long to find it!! The persimmons are a totally different beast than our new drivers, I would try teeing them down for a start.

Oh and I think you will get me in trouble, I am feeling the need to get myself some old lefties.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Brilliant thread, I can't believe it's taken me this long to find it!! The persimmons are a totally different beast than our new drivers, I would try teeing them down for a start.

Oh and I think you will get me in trouble, I am feeling the need to get myself some old lefties.

Thanks, and I'm sorry if I get you in trouble. I bet older left handed clubs are harder to find and it might cost you a bit more for them. Just a bit of advice, it becomes an obsession. 

I've decided to take the Atomics out of my regular gaming bag for a while and replace them with my Cobra F8's for a while. I've been trying for a while to figure out how to get Arccos data for the Wilson's and my best solution was to fully dedicate a set of sensors to them. Tagging my 2 iron with my LW sensor just gets confusing and switching them back and forth is easy, but a little bit of a hassle. 

I'm planning on taking them out for another round this weekend of the weather holds off. I took Monday off to make up for having to work tomorrow because I can play more golf. 

I'm still living these clubs and find myself thinking about them more and more. I used to wonder what people saw in blades, but I've become mesmerized by the thin topline and smaller profile. With a handicap that's a bit above 17, I don't feel qualified to play these and I don't care. They bringing me so much joy, I can't help it. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is a fun read.  😀

I went thru a similar start, hitting a fellow golf nerds blade iron, demoing an MP14, and diving right in that offseason.  Then, finding a random Louisville Smart Driver at 2nd Swing, finding out it wasn't that big a deal to hit... now I have a decent number (of persimmons), for a guy who had never hit them before the 21st century, anyway.

Watch out for that greased slope.  😉

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

20 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

This is a fun read.  😀

I went thru a similar start, hitting a fellow golf nerds blade iron, demoing an MP14, and diving right in that offseason.  Then, finding a random Louisville Smart Driver at 2nd Swing, finding out it wasn't that big a deal to hit... now I have a decent number, for a guy who had never hit them before the 21st century, anyway.

Watch out for that greased slope.  😉

I appreciate it! They're easier to hit than I imagined when I went in to this. You do get punished more severely than newer models and the distances take a minute to figure out, but feeling a pure shot off these is addictive! I still need to work on the woods, with the HRC going on I've been playing my other set more. 

I'm really looking forward to the other course in town reopening later this year. The guy that had the lease on it let it expire a few months ago and I was afraid no one would step in and take charge of it. Someone did at the last minute and I drove by there today and they are renovating the greens and trimming some of the trees. It's a shorter course with tighter fairways and smaller greens that I'm just dying to play with these clubs. It was originally built in the 50's when this type of club was in their heyday. They'll be in the bag, even if it reopens in the winter. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post this for the last week, but work and family stuff have had most of my attention lately once I do get home. Went to the thrift store last weekend and found a couple more irons to the collection. Another Ben Hogan Medallion and a Wilson Walker Cup, both in 6 irons. I already have the 8 iron in the Hogan and the Wilson was just too pretty to pass up. They actually had this and the 8 iron a few weeks ago and I'm kicking myself for not getting them then. 20200823_165507-01.jpeg.e06870ae1c060e901f9e6c6622161b96.jpeg20200823_165501-01.jpeg.8ebb4dbbfb41eaecdd909ea8493e109a.jpeg

I still need to clean them up, but I wanted to hit them before putting a shine on them. The Hogan is just pure, buttery, forged goodness when I make contact. I can see why people hold these clubs in such high regard. I didn't make good contact with the Wilson and it lets you know you are not hitting it right. I think it'll be beautiful once I clean the rust off and give it a good bath. I love the look of this club, it's just so classy. 

I've been meaning to post this for the last week, but work and family stuff have had most of my attention lately once I do get home. Went to the thrift store last weekend and found a couple more irons to the collection. Another Ben Hogan Medallion and a Wilson Walker Cup, both in 6 irons. I already have the 8 iron in the Hogan and the Wilson was just too pretty to pass up. They actually had this and the 8 iron a few weeks ago and I'm kicking myself for not getting them then. 20200823_165507-01.jpeg.e06870ae1c060e901f9e6c6622161b96.jpeg20200823_165501-01.jpeg.8ebb4dbbfb41eaecdd909ea8493e109a.jpeg
I still need to clean them up, but I wanted to hit them before putting a shine on them. The Hogan is just pure, buttery, forged goodness when I make contact. I can see why people hold these clubs in such high regard. I didn't make good contact with the Wilson and it lets you know you are not hitting it right. I think it'll be beautiful once I clean the rust off and give it a good bath. I love the look of this club, it's just so classy. 

Gotta love Thrift Stores!

Rick

Left Hand, 

7 hours ago, Rickp said:

Gotta love Thrift Stores!

I really wish I would have done this earlier, it's fun to see what people donate and it's fun searching for unwanted treasures. I need to start branching out to other areas around me to see what I can find. 

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I really wish I would have done this earlier, it's fun to see what people donate and it's fun searching for unwanted treasures. I need to start branching out to other areas around me to see what I can find. 

Sounds like we have an addict here lol

Yup, he’s hooked

Rick

Left Hand, 

11 hours ago, tommc23 said:

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

Yup, he’s hookedemoji33.png

I think I might have a problem...

I'm actually going tomorrow to try out new wedges and then I'm debating on either hitting up a couple of thrift stores in Chattanooga, or playing. It's a tough decision, I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I think I might have a problem...

I'm actually going tomorrow to try out new wedges and then I'm debating on either hitting up a couple of thrift stores in Chattanooga, or playing. It's a tough decision, I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow. 

Hello, my name is Tom and we're here today to have an intervention with @sirchunksalot 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hello, my name is Tom and we're here today to have an intervention with [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention] 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good try but It won’t work, it never does w golf junkies

Rick

Left Hand, 

I took my old Titleist persimmon driver and a couple of the Hogan Grinds to the range tonight to hit balls while my daughter took a lesson.  I didn't really hit any horrid shots with the irons, but man you could feel it when you caught one a little toey.  The persimmon driver was just like I remembered.  Heaven when you catch it solidly; hell when you don't.  And the sound is just the greatest, golfiest sound ever.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 7/5/2020 at 8:20 PM, cnosil said:

Myrtle Beach might be another good place to look and you could avoid Atlanta 🙂  

Man stay out of my Honey hole. LOL just kidding

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I didn't even think about that....you can't throw a stone in Myrtle Beach without hitting a golf course and there would be a lot of older clubs there. 

I've only been there once back around 1997 when I was still in the beginning stages of playing. I did play Possum Trot with the ex in-laws and regret not playing more courses. 

Oh yeah there is a store called The Old Club Store in North Myrtle. I knew the previous owner but he passed away and I do not know the new ones. I actually stay on my end of the beach and me going in there is like turning a alcholic loose in the Jack Daniels plant. And then you have Stu's Rat Rod Golf Shop in Garden City and he would be offended if you did not stop by. You could get a lot of clubs for a steak dinner prices are cheap and I need to thin the herd. Sad news Possum Trot which was a fine old school course is now closed to put even more condos in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, tommc23 said:

I really need to get the KZG clubs built I bought off of @deejaid but playing one set of blades is good enough for me.

Are those the tear drop shaped one piece forged cavity backs ? If so they are great Kyoei forged blades. They are definitely players CBs. I have 2 sets one with  Swing Science graphite shafts and one with old school 5.5 Rifles. If they are the set I think they are I have a connection to the A wedge I think. DJ and myself do a little trading from time to time and I sent him that head. In fact right now due to my back injury I have my graphite ones in my bag. But only until my back strengthens some and I will go back to my blade Macs

G

LOL this thread does my heart good. Just caught it due to my health issues and computer problems. Glad to see you guys discovering what I have known and practiced for years. If you need any help just ask. 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Are those the tear drop shaped one piece forged cavity backs ? If so they are great Kyoei forged blades. They are definitely players CBs. I have 2 sets one with  Swing Science graphite shafts and one with old school 5.5 Rifles. If they are the set I think they are I have a connection to the A wedge I think. DJ and myself do a little trading from time to time and I sent him that head. In fact right now due to my back injury I have my graphite ones in my bag. But only until my back strengthens some and I will go back to my blade Macs

@deejaid sold me them and I don't remember I'm not sure if I have them at my house or if they are still at my parents place. I was looking at putting the project x6.0 in them

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Oh yeah there is a store called The Old Club Store in North Myrtle. I knew the previous owner but he passed away and I do not know the new ones. I actually stay on my end of the beach and me going in there is like turning a alcholic loose in the Jack Daniels plant. And then you have Stu's Rat Rod Golf Shop in Garden City and he would be offended if you did not stop by. You could get a lot of clubs for a steak dinner prices are cheap and I need to thin the herd. Sad news Possum Trot which was a fine old school course is now closed to put even more condos in

First off, it's good to have you back on here after your computer messed up on you and I'm glad you're feeling better, too. I might just have to plan a trip out that way next year and meet up with you, I think listening to your wisdom would do this fella good. I appreciate the kind words, I've said it a bunch, but the people on this forum are what makes it special. 

It does make me sad about Possum Trot, I played it in the late 90's on vacation with the ex in-laws and it held a special place in my heart. I used to have a towel from there, but have no idea where it's at. 

Right now I'm planning on bringing the Wilson's back out to play this weekend. I always take an extended weekend on Labor Day and since I've been playing in the Hard Rock Challenge, I've been using my regular set. I get way too competitive and think a nice, relaxing round or two with them is in order. It's funny, but I don't pressure myself at all with these clubs. I think I don't expect to tear the world up with them and just enjoy the ride. I need more work with the woods before I'm comfortable enough to go full classic, but I know it'll be fun when I do.