TESTERS WANTED! ×

Member Member Team Tournament

We are in the third week of a Member-Member Tournament and a golfer on one of the Teams is hurt and can't play. We are wondering if we should allow the golfer to be replaced? This Team played against a single golfer in the second week because his partner was sick and couldn't play. The golfer will be out for months but I'm not sure this should enter into the equation. Seems to me that allowing substitutions would cheapen the Tournament, setting a bad precedent and opening the door for bringing in wringers.  Hey, I've had a rough week so maybe I'm just being harsh. What do you think?

10 hours ago, highscore said:

We are in the third week of a Member-Member Tournament and a golfer on one of the Teams is hurt and can't play. We are wondering if we should allow the golfer to be replaced? This Team played against a single golfer in the second week because his partner was sick and couldn't play. The golfer will be out for months but I'm not sure this should enter into the equation. Seems to me that allowing substitutions would cheapen the Tournament, setting a bad precedent and opening the door for bringing in wringers.  Hey, I've had a rough week so maybe I'm just being harsh. What do you think?

To me, having a match played at two against one on a rare occasion isn't a huge problem, there's value in being able to show up every week.  But losing a teammate partway through a season is a different thing.  Having a relatively long-term physical problem that stops a player from golfing at all is different from any kind of voluntary departure from the league.  I guess I'd consider the options:

The lone golfer has no chance, so he quits the league.  His team has already played some of the other teams, maybe beat a few of them.  Other teams scheduled to play him won't have a match.  How do you handle all of that?  Void previously played matches, void future matches?

The lone golfer continues play, but he's going to lose most matches playing two against one.  The same questions apply.

You allow the lone golfer a new partner, and matches continue as planned.  Do you need to do anything with the previous matches, the ones he played with a different partner?

Maybe there are more possibilities, but those three came quickly to my mind.  I believe the third option offers the least disruption to the league, but you'll want to answer all of the questions before you make a final choice.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

This isn't a league, it's a Tournament, match play teams that to make it to the end you will play 4 times. The team won twice and would have to win twice more to win the tournament, then we move on to something else. We've had tourneys in the past where someone went on vacation and his partner did have to play alone. Just wondering what everyone else does in this case. The guys are good with not being able to have a replacement.