TESTERS WANTED! ×

Push cart or no push cart

I used to carry my bag when walking.  This year when courses opened and walking was mandated, I used a push cart.  I like that a lot more.  I do not get tired those last few holes of the round when using the push cart; especially if playing 36 in one day.

Mizuno Irons, Callaway Driver, Cleveland Wedges, Evnroll putter

On 6/5/2020 at 9:06 AM, sixcat said:

I am 45 now and have been pushing a cart since sometime around 2000/2001.  I can legitimately think of only one instance where someone attempted to give me grief for not carrying.  I told the guy that just because he was accustomed to carrying his balls around in a bag for his wife doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer the same emasculation.  His nickname around the local golf scene has been "Mask" for 15 years and he doesn't speak to me!  Which I find mildly amusing considering he was a starting offensive lineman for an ACC football program in the 90's.  He's not accustomed to anyone standing up to him and firing back because he is a rather large human.

The point is, do what makes you happy, let everyone else do what makes them happy.  Anyone that has an issue with that can piss off!

I like this story. But I have to ask, is his nickname "Mask" because you said emasculation??  If so, that is brutal hahaha!

... I will always remember when the double strap came out and people were using it claiming how easy it made carrying. I asked my Orthopedic surgeon (a golfer) what he thought about a double strap and he said "I absolutely LOVE them. They will put all 3 of my kids through college" then had a hearty laugh. He said the human spine is not meant to carry and uneven load or lift it on and take it off over and over again, and 99.9% of everyone that carries will have problems at some point in their life. Some may be very minor, some more severe and some will need surgery. I started using a remote electric cart after my 2nd back surgery and could not imagine playing golf any other way. On mountain courses, or resort courses with long walks from green to tee I will ride in a cart, but other than that I am walking and using an electric cart. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I’m 39 and have been using one for 9 or so years.  I’m a fan.  I certainly don’t worry as much about how much stuff i have in the bag.  

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9 degree, Project X Hzrdus T800, 6.5 flex

3wd: Titleist 917F, Speeder Ev0 661 T.S., Stiff flex

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H2 - 21 & 23 degree - Atmos HB T.S. Blue, stiff flex

Irons 5-GW: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal, 1 degree up right, +.75'' length.  Dyn Gold 120 X flex

SW: Titleist SM8 56 degree (Bent to 55), +1'' length, Dyn Golf 120 S flex

LW:  Callaway 60 degree, PM 19 Grind, +1'' length, KBS 610 Wedge S flex

I love my Clicgear and always use it when I walk.  I'm in pretty good shape but it's just enjoyable to use a good push cart.  The last time I carried my clubs was last year when I played St.Andrews (Jubilee Course).  The carry bag they lent me with the rental clubs was fantastic.  I learned something about newer carry bags that day.

If you're going to walk, it's all about the bag.  My Sun Mountain C-130 Cart Bag would suck to walk with.  If I was going to walk with regularity, I'd buy a proper bag with great straps and be fine.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

I carried until I was 50. Then for ten years I pushed. Now for the last seven I use a remote control motorized cart. I have converted a lot of the older guys I play with, all except the cheap ones that is. My wife uses a motorized cart that follows her. Not ready to go there yet. Have fun pushing.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I love my pushcart! I don't walk as often as I should, although the majority of my rounds recently have been walking because of Covid, but I do enjoy walking courses. If I had to rely on carrying my bag instead of using a push cart, I wouldn't walk at all. Carrying a bag for a round just simply puts too much stress on my back.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX
  • 1 month later...

I caddied all through high school and college and carried my bag.  I kept on carrying my bag until about age 35.  And by that time, I'd basically completely wrecked my back.  My daughters have both seen what I've done to myself, and they've both pushed a cart since they started playing.  My oldest said she got some looks playing in high school, but she really doesn't care.

At 35, I started pushing a cart and did so until about a month ago.  Then I picked up an eWheels V1 and a Rovic RV1S on eBay.  And I will never push a cart again.  It's like having a caddy.  More on my thoughts here:

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 6/5/2020 at 9:06 AM, sixcat said:

I am 45 now and have been pushing a cart since sometime around 2000/2001.  I can legitimately think of only one instance where someone attempted to give me grief for not carrying.  I told the guy that just because he was accustomed to carrying his balls around in a bag for his wife doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer the same emasculation.  His nickname around the local golf scene has been "Mask" for 15 years and he doesn't speak to me!  Which I find mildly amusing considering he was a starting offensive lineman for an ACC football program in the 90's.  He's not accustomed to anyone standing up to him and firing back because he is a rather large human.

The point is, do what makes you happy, let everyone else do what makes them happy.  Anyone that has an issue with that can piss off!

Like that last line--- That is my attitude about life in general

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, chisag said:

... I will always remember when the double strap came out and people were using it claiming how easy it made carrying. I asked my Orthopedic surgeon (a golfer) what he thought about a double strap and he said "I absolutely LOVE them. They will put all 3 of my kids through college" then had a hearty laugh. He said the human spine is not meant to carry and uneven load or lift it on and take it off over and over again, and 99.9% of everyone that carries will have problems at some point in their life. Some may be very minor, some more severe and some will need surgery. I started using a remote electric cart after my 2nd back surgery and could not imagine playing golf any other way. On mountain courses, or resort courses with long walks from green to tee I will ride in a cart, but other than that I am walking and using an electric cart. 

I came on here looking for answers and I think you summed it up. I had been walking some prior to my accident walking 6 holes with 5 to 8 clubs in a really light Nylon Vagabond bag. I am glad you posted what your Doc said. Makes perfect sense to me. It will probably mid September before I can consider playing again. I know right now push carts are hard to find but I do have a 70s Bag Boy I restored a couple of winters ago. I know it is a traditional pull cart but I think I can push it with a minimal load of 6 clubs and the Vagabond bag. I can see through common sense where carrying could be hard on my back especially where I basically broke mine  (L-2).  I only know one guy who walks around my course and he uses a push cart. But yeah everyone on here this morning has given me some insight and hope because i really enjoy the solitude and playing of my vintage sticks on my walking rounds.  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

53 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I came on here looking for answers and I think you summed it up. I had been walking some prior to my accident walking 6 holes with 5 to 8 clubs in a really light Nylon Vagabond bag. I am glad you posted what your Doc said. Makes perfect sense to me. It will probably mid September before I can consider playing again. I know right now push carts are hard to find but I do have a 70s Bag Boy I restored a couple of winters ago. I know it is a traditional pull cart but I think I can push it with a minimal load of 6 clubs and the Vagabond bag. I can see through common sense where carrying could be hard on my back especially where I basically broke mine  (L-2).  I only know one guy who walks around my course and he uses a push cart. But yeah everyone on here this morning has given me some insight and hope because i really enjoy the solitude and playing of my vintage sticks on my walking rounds.  

They're starting to pop up slowly! My local Roger Dunn just moved to a new location and is having a grand opening on Thursday, I saw in their picture today that they had a few of the new 2020 Clicgears in stock so I might try to pick one up. Hopefully it qualifies for their 20% off grand opening! If not, I have some credit that I have no use for. My BIL was looking for another push cart, and the foot brake on my current cart makes my shoes dirty and it irks me.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

100% a fan of a push cart.  I don't care if anyone thinks there is a stigma associated with using one.  My back really appreciates not having to carry my bag!  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I’m all about my push cart! I used to carry, and I bought my wife a Clicgear for Christmas so we could walk when we play together. When I saw how comfortable she was walking without having to pick up and put down her bag: I decided to get one. I’m not getting any younger (38) and my back is certainly thankful I’m not laughing my clubs and water all across gods green earth. I can walk 36 with a push cart, carrying I’d have to go motorized for the 2nd 18.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

15 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

I use a push cart now, got a Clicgear 3.5+ after reading the MGS review from a couple years ago.  It replaced a pull cart that tortured me with the twist on my back to which side I pulled with.  A combat tour carrying 60 lbs of gear mostly waist up, body armor and combat load didn't do my 44 year old body much good.  Started golfing age 50 so my thick Rhinoskin and IDGAS sensitivity ignores those tiny opinionated people and I know nobody thinks they are cool.  Some guys will ask why I'm walking while the kid (my Army brat son) rides a cart but he's just making up for the Power Wheels I wouldn't get him.

Thank You for your service------ And yes I could care less about as you put them " tiny opinionated people" . I have always marched to the beat of my own drum. I was hitting little pop flops around the practice green and spinning the crap out of the ball. Of course I was using a balata ball. I was hitting one of my rusty Cleveland wedges. These tourist golfers all prim and proper were looking. One of them asked about my wedge and I told him. He replied those are not legal now. I looked at him and told him who cares about the USGA? I asked him what he had? He showed me some kind of Cleveland wide flange cavity back wedge. I told him that is nice but in some of the circles I play in that wedge is not legal. He looked perplexed. I told him his wedge was not legal in vintage events. Now in all the groups I play in no one gives 2 hoots what anyone plays. Me I do my own thing with no apologies and do not care if someone does theirs.

G

Just take a look at how commonly push carts are now seen in collegiate competition - even at the very highest levels. If any players are suited for carrying, it'd be among the young and fit in the college ranks. Yet increasingly, they're opting to push. Less fatigue on the body means they're better set up to hit solid golf shots. Easy peasy.

I use a push cart, not because it's cool. Coolness is just a byproduct.

I need it to haul my water so I don't dehydrate and can make it around the course.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

26 year old and I just recently started using a push cart. I tore my labrum in my (R) shoulder last year and the strain from picking up and putting down the bag was just getting too much for my shoulder. With the cart it is much easier to play the game, and I actually enjoy no lugging my heavy bag around. If that makes me "old" then so be it!!!

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I live in SoTex so the heat and humidity gets to you, so its push cart for hot times of the year (May thru Oct) and then I carry the rest of season.  I like to carry as it brings me back to a time when I started playing the game over 30 years ago.  Call me old fashion or nostalgic but that's my mindset. 

I can hack it up on holes from time to time, with glimpses of brilliance on others.

On 7/22/2020 at 10:10 PM, EasyPutter said:

Also makes total sense from the liability perspective.  One strain injury for carrying , or lifting incorrectly (done it reaching for a piece of paper) in a "perfect storm" scenario would threaten a team's competition results (that impacts a school's image and fundraising capability) and who knows how that could translate to the sports injury medical insurance liability perspective.  I'm sure a whole fleet of new push carts would be inexpensive in comparison to either consideration.  Imagine if Sun Mountain struck a deal with a prominent school what that would mean for outfitting their golf program for example, or Clicgear, Bag Boy, or whomever.

You know I never thought about it in the sense you put it. Yep as hard and as fast as these young guys swing today plus carrying a golf bag I can see the injury insurance liability and potential for back injury. After reading all the comments on here and seeing everyone's perspective I am not going to carry. And I had a redneck engineering idea. I can take that 70s Bag Boy and put a 3rd wheel on it if needed. The handle adjusts to multiple positions so it may push ok on 2 wheels. But the load will be light anyhow only 6 or 8 clubs and my water bottle. And I also like to be different so sporting a 70s Bag Boy is right up my alley. 

G

On 7/21/2020 at 11:05 AM, mooremikea said:

100% a fan of a push cart.  I don't care if anyone thinks there is a stigma associated with using one.  My back really appreciates not having to carry my bag!  

I can put it bluntly as I often do----- I have decided with thanks to all of you guys to use a push cart even if I convert mine---- I could give 2 hoots less what "stigma" someone associates me with.

G

45 minutes ago, DoubleBogie33 said:

I live in SoTex so the heat and humidity gets to you, so its push cart for hot times of the year (May thru Oct) and then I carry the rest of season.  I like to carry as it brings me back to a time when I started playing the game over 30 years ago.  Call me old fashion or nostalgic but that's my mindset. 

Interesting!  I guess it depends on how you start playing golf.  I started at age 45 after I couldn't play softball and volleyball anymore.  My knees hurt.  Riding in a cart was a way for me to play without more pain in my knees.  That was 28 years ago.  After knee replacement I started walking with a pushcart on occasion.  The thought of carrying never entered my mind.

May thru Sept can be hot.  We are in a stretch now with temps over 100º each day, but humidity is low (14%).  Too hot to walk at 73 years old; the breeze with a cart, if only for a short distance is refreshing, and I can carry lots of cold water.  No water on the course due to COVID.  I reserve most of my pushcart rounds when weather is cold.  I stay much warmer walking than riding in a cart.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 7/23/2020 at 11:52 AM, Kaplack said:

I use a push cart, not because it's cool. Coolness is just a byproduct.

I need it to haul my water so I don't dehydrate and can make it around the course.

So true. With all the courses in my having stopped putting out water jugs, my bag just got a lot heavier with the water I have to carry for 18 holes.

Definitely saves the back from carrying a load. Soon you will be in your forties, so I would recommend you think ahead for the future, as your body will take a toll. Plus you can also use an umbrella for them hot summer days and carry a small cooler if you wish.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

On 6/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, Nolan220 said:

To the members who walk .. do you carry your own bag or do you use a push cart ... I am 36 and I started to use a push cart this year to try it out and I really like it .. my buddy goes “what are you 75” .. do golfers look at push carts for older folks? 

I do both. There are courses I play that are what I call "walker friendly" and I walk those courses when playing non-tournament golf and carry a golf bag. I would walk in tournament but the others get uncomfortable I have found when I do that so out of respect for the foursome  ride in the cart. Additionally, I prefer playing these type courses in the fall and/or winter (mild winters for most part where I live) and love walking/carrying golf bag in the fall climate weather. 

There are other courses I walk but use a push cart as they are very long in design (the space between tee-boxes wind  through like five neighborhoods it seems) and/or very "hilly"/elevation changes and I have extra water/snacks, etc so I have a heavier push cart friendly golf bag. Also I can adjust should weather change quickly. 

Could care less what some people have commented to me "why are you walking man......". I always state, for exercise and I score lower when walking. One guy use to repeatedly snark at me a while back. So I asked him one day what did you score today? He told me. I said well the driving range and practice areas are open you might go practice and/or see if one of the instructors is available 😃.... That guy doesn't speak to me when I say hi to him anymore. And I am ok with that.... 

I'm primarily  a push cart guy.  But if just doing a few holes, or trolleys are not permitted due to weather etc, then I will carry.

I like the extra luggage capactiy I can use with a cart, water, snacks, etc.  My waterproofs live in my bag as a precaution, so I don't forget them when I need them.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, Kenny B said:

Interesting!  I guess it depends on how you start playing golf.  I started at age 45 after I couldn't play softball and volleyball anymore.  My knees hurt.  Riding in a cart was a way for me to play without more pain in my knees.  That was 28 years ago.  After knee replacement I started walking with a pushcart on occasion.  The thought of carrying never entered my mind.

May thru Sept can be hot.  We are in a stretch now with temps over 100º each day, but humidity is low (14%).  Too hot to walk at 73 years old; the breeze with a cart, if only for a short distance is refreshing, and I can carry lots of cold water.  No water on the course due to COVID.  I reserve most of my pushcart rounds when weather is cold.  I stay much warmer walking than riding in a cart.  

Sounds like you West Coast Boys are getting some of our heat minus the humidity

G

17 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

I do both. There are courses I play that are what I call "walker friendly" and I walk those courses when playing non-tournament golf and carry a golf bag. I would walk in tournament but the others get uncomfortable I have found when I do that so out of respect for the foursome  ride in the cart. Additionally, I prefer playing these type courses in the fall and/or winter (mild winters for most part where I live) and love walking/carrying golf bag in the fall climate weather. 

There are other courses I walk but use a push cart as they are very long in design (the space between tee-boxes wind  through like five neighborhoods it seems) and/or very "hilly"/elevation changes and I have extra water/snacks, etc so I have a heavier push cart friendly golf bag. Also I can adjust should weather change quickly. 

Could care less what some people have commented to me "why are you walking man......". I always state, for exercise and I score lower when walking. One guy use to repeatedly snark at me a while back. So I asked him one day what did you score today? He told me. I said well the driving range and practice areas are open you might go practice and/or see if one of the instructors is available 😃.... That guy doesn't speak to me when I say hi to him anymore. And I am ok with that.... 

Love that last paragraph---- Exactly what I would have told him-------  If he does not want to shake hands I would tell him to kiss my A$$---- Which I am ok if someone does not want to shake ( pre Covid -19). I try to get along with any one regardless with anything but hey if you don't like me ok so be it

G