Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Finding your distance

So I have a new set of iron incoming in a few weeks. I did a fitting and know what that said my carry with 7i was. Since I don´t have a launch monitor I´m just curious how you guys figure out your distances with a new set of clubs? I find that just going to the range is not optimal since I find it hard to know if the ball lands 165 or 175 if I have a flag at 150 and another at 190. Also at the range the range balls will of course not be my regular gamer so yea..

Going to an empty course and hit a number of shots from a certain distance is not optimal since finding an empty course in the middle of summer is not that easy around these parts. I do have arccos so I will in time get a good idea on what my total lengths will be but that will take a couple of rounds at least to get a good idea on all the clubs. 

So what is your go to way to find out your distances? I know some courses in my area is offering to rent a launch monitor for around 50$/h is that worth it? 

Edited by Gurra
  • Guests
Guest Delete

I use Golfpad GPS when I play. It allows me to keep score and track my shots. It also gives me yardages to the green and has an interactive map that shows me the hole. I can even touch the map to calculate the distance to hazards. 

I look at my game yardages to figure out future holes

You can either go early in the morning or before sunset when it's emptier.

Don't even have to hit all your irons. Take your 7i as baseline, drop the ball 165 from the flag and shoot at it. Move closer or further away from the green depending on where your balls landed.

Assuming your other clubs have the right loft gap to your 7i, you should be able to calculate their distances. 

This shouldn't take more than 20mins.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Distance is strong a mystery to me. Whatever club I use still comes up short .

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

Play when nobody is out and hit multiple balls from a spot with one club and find what the bag is. 

Go to the driving range and hit each club to find the distance 

I expect about 10-15 yard gap between clubs, the more players type they are the closer to the 10-12 yard gap will be and more gi or distance type club starts getting into the 15 range

Use what you see on the course to adjust during the course of a round

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You can start with a rule of thumb until you are able to do more playing that each degree of loft change will be 2.5 - 3 yards of difference.   Also, check the lofts of your previous set to help you compare.   Since you did the fitting, I'm hoping that you compared your old set to new set.  Granted your new set might be more forgiving or provide more distance, but this can just be your start to get a ball park.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

8 hours ago, Gurra said:

So I have a new set of iron incoming in a few weeks. I did a fitting and know what that said my carry with 7i was. Since I don´t have a launch monitor I´m just curious how you guys figure out your distances with a new set of clubs? I find that just going to the range is not optimal since I find it hard to know if the ball lands 165 or 175 if I have a flag at 150 and another at 190. Also at the range the range balls will of course not be my regular gamer so yea..

Going to an empty course and hit a number of shots from a certain distance is not optimal since finding an empty course in the middle of summer is not that easy around these parts. I do have arccos so I will in time get a good idea on what my total lengths will be but that will take a couple of rounds at least to get a good idea on all the clubs. 

So what is your go to way to find out your distances? I know some courses in my area is offering to rent a launch monitor for around 50$/h is that worth it? 

I’d say $50/hr is worth it specifically for dialing in distances. 

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Find a pro that is certified on Trackman and book an hour of his/her time to work through your bag, it's worth it!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

7 hours ago, Kanoito said:

You can either go early in the morning or before sunset when it's emptier.

Don't even have to hit all your irons. Take your 7i as baseline, drop the ball 165 from the flag and shoot at it. Move closer or further away from the green depending on where your balls landed.

Assuming your other clubs have the right loft gap to your 7i, you should be able to calculate their distances. 

This shouldn't take more than 20mins.

+1. I don't like hitting on a launch monitor, so probably not accurate for me, I wouldn't do it for free much less pay $50. You certainly don't have to establish distance on every iron. I'd hit a 4i, 7i & PW and interpolate from there for all the other clubs - should get you close enough to play. You can fine tune from there in a few rounds. It's rare that a course is so crowded that I couldn't drop 2-3 balls from 150 yds out and hit 7i's to see what my distance is. I bought new irons a couple years ago, and estimated how long they'd be using the new lofts compared to my old iron lofts, and came very close to knowing distances the first time out.

I also have AutoShot on my Garmin to keep track of every shot I hit for further tweaking.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
27 minutes ago, Middler said:

+1. I don't like hitting on a launch monitor, so probably not accurate for me, I wouldn't do it for free much less pay $50. You certainly don't have to establish distance on every iron. I'd hit a 4i, 7i & PW and interpolate from there for all the other clubs - should get you close enough to play. You can fine tune from there in a few rounds. It's rare that a course is so crowded that I couldn't drop 2-3 balls from 150 yds out and hit 7i's to see what my distance is. I bought new irons a couple years ago, and estimated how long they'd be using the new lofts compared to my old iron lofts, and came very close to knowing distances the first time out.

I also have AutoShot on my Garmin to keep track of every shot I hit for further tweaking.

I wanna play where you play...If I did that, I am pretty sure I might get balls being hit into me pretty quick.  

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

I use my fitting iron’s average distance as the baseline, then I add or subtract 12-13 yards to the distance from the fitting club to each iron above and below. Then, as I play rounds, I start to formulate how accurate the 12-13 yard gap is and then make mental note of new distances. In the summer, I’ll go to the course around 6 or 7 pm and ask the pro to let me walk down the first hole with about 15 balls. I’ll drop them at various distances to see if I’ve got my distances slotted correctly in my head. I’ll go pick-up all of the balls, and then do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/4/2020 at 11:49 PM, Gurra said:

This just image is floating around on the web showing driver club head speed at the top and yardages:

Screenshot_20200605-184428.png

I used a SwingCaddie 2.0 when I first got the G410's.  It quickly showed that these were a little more than one club difference than my PE2's (pretty much what the fitting showed). After a handful of rounds, I had their yardages fairly well figured out.  Not sure where your game is, but for those of us in the middle of the ball striker proficiency curve, the big challenge in consistency... or lack thereof.  I find a range with flags to be the most helpful and just hitting enough balls with each iron to find that average.  Like most I would guess, the yardages are pretty repeatable with the higher irons and more sporadic in the low irons.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The reply’s have a of great ideas for you to choose from. B4 I picked up a used LM I did pretty much what PMookie suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

28 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

This just image is floating around on the web showing driver club head speed at the top and yardages:

I can tell you, my Driver Swing Speed is 115 so right in between the 110 and 120 distances and this is pretty accurate for me.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

If you have a PGA superstore close by, book one of their indoor bays.

Is it perfect? No, but at least you can see some numbers and they will not use crappy range balls.

It will give you a starting point to work from.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ahh! Forgot about this! In my previous job, when I traveled to Houston, I used to book an hour of time in the bay and use the Foresight they have. The one I went to had three bays at the back of the store that weren’t “fitting bays”, just used for people wanting to hit balls. It’s a great option if they’re nearby.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 6/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, Kaplack said:

Distance is strong a mystery to me. Whatever club I use still comes up short .

I fell you, 140 to the pin, should just be an easy 8 or hard nine, better hit the seven iron.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg