1. 1. What's your Putter Swing Type?

• SBST (Not fitted)
    • Slight Arc (Not fitted)
    • Strong Arc (Not fitted)
    • SBST (fitted)
    • Slight Arc (fitted)
    • Strong Arc (fitted)

Our Sponsors

I've just discovered this is a thing. I jsut got put into a face balanced and Oh lord it feels so much better.  I had no confidence before and felt like i was battling my slight arc putter.  Where is everyone now on a check up?

Going to leave the poll open to see how many we get.

• Like 1

I did the PING on-line evaluation and it said I had a slight arc.  They offer free putter fittings and next winter while we're in AZ, I intend to schedule one. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 6/5/2020 at 6:01 PM, EPetes said:

I've just discovered this is a thing. I jsut got put into a face balanced and Oh lord it feels so much better.  I had no confidence before and felt like i was battling my slight arc putter.  Where is everyone now on a check up?

Going to leave the poll open to see how many we get.

Always known there was an optimal stroke and contact moment was important. Fascinating how studying the idea breaks it down to what is critical to the resulting ball path.The more I learn the more I see fitting as part of the future of my game.

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 this summer) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge, Lovett 59* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: Nitro Crossfire   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

No one actually has a SBST stroke, it would be bio mechanically very awkward, but that's been discussed in other threads, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread. I know I have an arc stroke, just don't know if it would be considered slight or strong, and I'm happy with my 25° toe down putter.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

I know a lot of people talk about arc, which translates to the path and how much a putter comes off the target line during the back and forward strokes. The other critical thing, that may have more impact on putter selection is rotation. Ping app measures rotation, but labels it arc.

It is possible to have a “strong” arc stroke with little rotation and a “SBST” stroke with lots of rotation.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What do I choose if my path goes outside the line on the backstroke and cuts across the ball?

path.jpg

This is a finely tuned stroke that is a common result from insisting on going "SBST." That said, it works for me. In terms of putter fitting, I've found that mallets with toe hang work well; a bit of toe weighting slows the closure rate, which helps hold off the pulls that are the characteristic miss for my stroke.

EDIT: also, it's not quite as extreme as it looks here. I'm using a device that clips to the putter shaft. What it can't know is that I also mis-aim my putter about 2° open to the target line and correct it before impact. The device has to assume my initial aim is the target, so it has to plot everything as a pull relative to my initial aim.

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

I like a face balanced or close to face balanced putter. I generally putt with a very slight arc.

I have noticed that if I mess around with a putter with a ton of toe hang, my stroke adjusts and has more arc. But I don't like the thought of a lot of arc because in my mind it seems like it takes more effort to square up.

Overall, with putting, I like everything to be as square as possible, I play a Squareback with a square grip lol

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I have never tried a putter fitting, but I do feel my stroke has some open and close to it. I try to do that to some extent. I have two different anser style putters. One is a long neck almost 100% face balanced. The other your standard anser style with a bit more toe hang. I swap them in and out depending on how I am feeling. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

On 6/8/2020 at 1:04 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

What do I choose if my path goes outside the line on the backstroke and cuts across the ball?

path.jpg

This is a finely tuned stroke that is a common result from insisting on going "SBST." That said, it works for me. In terms of putter fitting, I've found that mallets with toe hang work well; a bit of toe weighting slows the closure rate, which helps hold off the pulls that are the characteristic miss for my stroke.

EDIT: also, it's not quite as extreme as it looks here. I'm using a device that clips to the putter shaft. What it can't know is that I also mis-aim my putter about 2° open to the target line and correct it before impact. The device has to assume my initial aim is the target, so it has to plot everything as a pull relative to my initial aim.

Exactly this. And I don't see it talked about much. This was a revelation I made about two months ago as well. I have been fitted for a SBST stroke. I already knew I had a SBST stroke. Anyone who watched me putt could tell that. But I would ocassionally pull putts to the left. I tried several face balanced mallets, trying to eliminate any movement. Seems like more toe hang is only going to slam the door more left, especially since I tend to put the ball forward a bit in my stance. But I finely came to the realization that my stroke needed more arc, not less. Found 20 degrees of toe hang or so to be ideal for me. Helps open up the club coming back, and slowing closure on the way through. Picked up an Evnroll ER3 about two months ago and my putting has never been better. I used to really struggle with 5-10 foot putts. Those are all in or sniffing the cup now. Just have a lot of confidence that I can roll my line. 

• Like 2
  • Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ
I know a lot of people talk about arc, which translates to the path and how much a putter comes off the target line during the back and forward strokes. The other critical thing, that may have more impact on putter selection is rotation. Ping app measures rotation, but labels it arc.

It is possible to have a “strong” arc stroke with little rotation and a “SBST” stroke with lots of rotation.
IMO, Yes to both your questions. I am strong arc and have learned a lot from SAM putter fittings. There are people that are less arc, think SBST but "wristy" during stroke and conversely strong arc with good quiet hands through impact (ball position/ alignment is key with timing of arc stroke).
A side note, One area I think these newer "stability" shafts can possibly help is with golfers that have lots (too much) of face rotation through impact (possibly reducing degrees open/closed which contributes to offline putts).

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

21 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

A side note, One area I think these newer "stability" shafts can possibly help is with golfers that have lots (too much) of face rotation through impact (possibly reducing degrees open/closed which contributes to offline putts).

Stability shaft isn't going to help with face rotation.  It is designed to minimize flexing of the shaft with the heavier head putters.    Also,  there really isn't anything that defines too much face rotation;  some people don't have much and other have a lot.  

• Like 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Love the responses so far.  My slight arc putter was always pulling left as I was trying to swing SBST, and that caused it to pull left with the to hang as I would swing wide to try to make the putter go SBST.  Needless to say my putting until now is woefully inconsistent on all aspects of everything, distance, angle, alignment. but with the SAM fitting I was dunking 9.5/10 from 8-12+ feet at multiple areas around their test green.  and prior I would be lucky to get 3-4 and then hopefully leave it close.  

I have very strong arc: I posted the results of my putter fitting in unofficial reviews if you wanna check it out. Interesting thing for me was, my face stays square relative to path. I was already playing a blade, but my new fitted putter has 30 degrees of toe hang compared to my old putter that had 90.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Strong arc. Get the ping app to get started before you go further as a place to start.

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star
  • 3 months later...
I naturally cut my putts.  I’m not sure how that would fit in.  
Over the years I worked on developing an arc stroke. 
I’m not sure SBST is natural. 

It would still fit one of those types, yours would be tilted to the left if you are a right handed golfer.

I was always an extreme Arc putter which was natural for me. In fact a lot of the old timers back in the day my old man included said I had a "flaw" in my stroke. But I was one heck of a putter. I had sorta gotten away from that messing with SBST with Super Stroke grips etc. Got to rolling the ball decent but had a knack for pushing right of target. I did a lot of putting during my recovery and for once in my life did some in depth analysis. figured it out with my plumb bob and alignment sticks which is really deep for me. Found out that I was stuck between two methods and in short leaving the face open at impact and fanning it open. Went back to my basics with an old Iron Master putter with a stock wrap grip. Found out something for me I always thought I rotated the face closed with my hands found out actually my wrists rotated. So now I am using one of my old Iron Master putters with stock wrap grip. Now with my hands I am using a claw grip because it does relax my hands but rotate my wrists. Seems to be working well.

Going back to the open face thing. I had spotted the problem right off with the sticks but do not trust my eyes any more. Had a friend watch. Also taped an ordinary pencil to the toe of an Ironmaster type with a SS grip. When I got through the stroke I had him pull  a string and mark with a tee the path of the toe and center. Yep I was fanning it open. Did the same experiment with a regular gripped Ironmaster and my SS gripped Santa Fe. Found out I was keeping it flared open. The way I found out I rotated the wrists was took a sharpie and marked my wrists and looked at the position after I struck the ball. Found out also that if I gripped the putter conventional style I guess my nerves and meds cause me to move the face all over the place. Because I rotate my wrists I can use the claw grip with my hands. I have been using the claw on and off for 2 years now and it feels absolutely comfortable to me. In conclusion the wrist rotation thing is natural for me and come under the heading of some things can not be taught.  My golf game has always been based on doing what comes natural to me.  I have had folks ask me over the years to teach me stuff and it is hard to do when you really don't know the nuts or bolts of it yourself. 

• Like 2

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

Looking at the data so far it appears that most people are a slight arch but not fitted. This interests me, how many really are slight arch and not a SBST or even a cut? This would be a great study. Take 10-100 of the people that vote that they're a slight arch and not fitted. Get them fit for a putter to see how accurate their perception of their stroke is. 

GO GET FIT FOR YOUR PUTTERS!

Driver default_callaway-small.jpg.7a7fb9960a65b711373a949427403d8e.jpg 9 degree Epic Flash Stiff (Mitsubishi TENSE AV Blue Stiff 65) (with +1* loft)

3W  default_cobra-small.jpg.8f58a841b8297702abec5f95f4fc05ce.jpg Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14*

3H default_callaway-small.jpg.7a7fb9960a65b711373a949427403d8e.jpg Callaway Rouge (Aldila Synergy Stiff 60) 19*

5-A default_mizuno-small.jpg.a5cbc70b2a9db4f9ff5684c48013492d.jpg Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*

56* & 60* default_vokey-small.gif.df5eef7d30f8418f633a4b2e32b07941.gif SM8 56* S Grind 10*  (True Temper Dynamic Gold W) & SM8 60* S Grind 10* (True Temper Dynamic Gold W)

Putter default_scotty-small.jpg.f64ae9b304d3ceeee5a97c89f84a71b6.jpg Newport 35" 1*

All clubs have :Arccos:

Ball default_taylormade-small.jpg.bef65ff33000e2d04fcad71b73797344.jpg TP5X / default_titelist-small.jpg.ca7d93455a6782068cab23e016aff39f.jpg ProV1

Range Finder Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack

Bag :1590477705_SunMountain: Sun Mountain C130 in Red, White, and Blue

Spikes  default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpgNike Infinity Pro, default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpgNike Roshe G Tour,default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpg Nike Janoski G Tour