Grit Golf

Has this been done (wedge use survey)?

Our Sponsors

I’ve been working with a coach who caddied on tour for 9 years and won the PGA tournament in our area last year. Hes an amazing player and his short game is the strength of his game. He does everything greenside with a 58*. The guy he caddied for had an amazing up and down percentage (Chad Collins) he used only 1 club (a 60*) for everything. I anecdotally heard most of the LPGA is the same, using a 60* for everything.

Have the spies ever surveyed not what wedges are in the bag, but the way the work gets divvied up amongst them? Possibly through Arccos?

My hunch is most mid handicaps find one versatile wedge they use for nearly everything, and as the cap goes down, the loft stamped on that club of choice goes up to give them more options?

• Like 4

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I started using a 56 for all around the green work. 52 gets the brunt of the work from the 75 yard range. Still get the stopping power but on a better trajectory.

According to Arccos it’s almost 50/50 split for me between the 2.

• Like 6

I used to exclusively use a 60 for all chipping duties, but recently have been using 56 instead. I'm half tempted to ditch the 60 some other gap in my bag.

• Like 5

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

I use a 50* from 75 - 65 yards and 54* for everything else. I'll use 58* for high shots close to the green.

• Like 5

I use 60 for everything around the green, maybe my 54 if I have a longish bunker shot.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I use 60 for everything around the green, maybe my 54 if I have a longish bunker shot.

This for me as well. Or if I have a very fluffy bunker shot in need of more bounce, then I'll use the 54.

• Like 3

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I use the 58 for 90% of my chips & pitches. If it's a tight spot, I bump with usually a 7i

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

I’m sure it’s not recommended, but I use my 8i or GW (50*) around the green 95% of the time. I use my 56* high bounce from greenside traps and my 60* only when the situation demands (short sided with a trap between my ball and the pin). In my weak defense, it’s mostly tight lies on my regular course where blading the shot happens all too often (to me).

• Like 3

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

I'm not a big handle leaner on chips, so while I still use my 54 predominantly, I've really been using my 9 iron and even 8 iron for chips right off the green that have plenty of room to run. 

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

Last year I started the season almost always using my 60 degree wedge.  Hit maybe three highlight shots and the rest sub par.  Halfway through the season switched to my 56 degree wedge with slightly better results but still poor.

This year I started using 7i down depending on the situation.  Trying to let the ball roll to the cup instead of flying it there.  Only using the 60 degree for flop shots when I have no other option.  Been playing the last three weeks and every week my proximity to the hole seems to be getting better.  Going to stick with this system the rest of the year.

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I'm not a big handle leaner on chips, so while I still use my 54 predominantly, I've really been using my 9 iron and even 8 iron for chips right off the green that have plenty of room to run.

I am very similar. I started using a 9 iron last year, which is about the perfect club for a pitch and run and I'll make a similar length stroke to how long of putt it would be.   I don't find myself in the situation too often (usually I'll be in fringe so I can putt or too much rough between me and green to have the 9 iron work, but still a nice option when needed.  I wish I had found that shot earlier last year when I was at Bandon Dunes.

I used to use my 54* on almost all shots from 110 in and just take my 75% swing or whatever it called for.  I've started to use my 58* more on these shots and found my proximity is getting better.  Stock is about 85-90 yards carry with my 58* and I find it much easier to hit a 65/70 yard shot with a 75% swing with a 58* rather than more guessing with my SW.  35 - 55 is still a bit more difficult, so far I still use my 54*, but may experiment.

Around the green, I tend to always use a 54* and open or shut the face as needed for the shot.  If I need to flop, I'll go to 58*, but other than that it's always a 54*.  

Edited by juspoole

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

I’m incredibly curious to see if there are any trends from a large number of golfers. I thought all better golfers (better than me) were splitting the work pretty evenly using a “Dave Pelz” type wedge matrix (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 swing across 3-4 wedges). Every time I’ve tried going that way it has set me back.

My instructor said that approach works for some people, but to find what works for me. His advice was the elite players he knows tend to get super intimate with one “workhorse” wedge. I’m not elite, by any measure, but I wonder if the trends would be useful for average golfers like me?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I grew-up learning to golf in the 70s, and my Dad taught me what he was taught which you see Nicklaus, Palmer, etc all teach: get the ball rolling as quickly as possible. I use that teaching to this day. If I’m on the fringe I’m generally putting. If it’s fringe-length but 5-10 feet off the green, I’ll probably use a 7/8/9 iron. Most courses here in the Mississippi Delta have greens that are elevated 3-4 feet just for drainage, so on these courses we get a lot of uphill lies. In those situations I’ll use my PW or 54*, just depends on how fluffy the lie is.

I played with a guy recently that’s my age that played college golf in Oklahoma. He uses his 60* for everything, but just moves the handle around to adjust his loft. He’s magical with it. I can’t do that..... I just stick with what I’ve done for 40 years.

• Like 6

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

In years past I would use my 56 for EVERYTHING 90 yards and in.  The past year I have been using more PW, 9 irons and 52 for chipping and various types of shots trying to control the trajectory a bit better.  I hit some good shots and bad shots but I'm still learning them all.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

1 hour ago, Grit Golf said:

I’m incredibly curious to see if there are any trends from a large number of golfers. I thought all better golfers (better than me) were splitting the work pretty evenly using a “Dave Pelz” type wedge matrix (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 swing across 3-4 wedges). Every time I’ve tried going that way it has set me back.

My instructor said that approach works for some people, but to find what works for me. His advice was the elite players he knows tend to get super intimate with one “workhorse” wedge. I’m not elite, by any measure, but I wonder if the trends would be useful for average golfers like me?

I am not sure you asked the right question to get this answer.   You talked about greenside shots in your original post;   you won't use a "Pelz" approach for greenside shots and depending on what you are trying to do and your approach it may be.  chipping around the green and finesse shots are typically pretty short swings.   As you start getting into distance wedges,  you need to figure out how to control distances;  some will follow the PELZ system; which people will call mechanical, and others will say they "feel" the distance.  I would guess that they have over time determined distances based on a pelz approach and tweak the length of swing.   

I think your question is more about the distances that are shorter than their most lofted club.   Do players use one club from those distances or do they have multiple distances associated with multiple clubs.   For example, your most lofted clubs standard distance is 80 yards,  how does the player hit a 70, 60, 50, 45, 20, etc. yard shot.  

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am not sure you asked the right question to get this answer.   You talked about greenside shots in your original post;   you won't use a "Pelz" approach for greenside shots and depending on what you are trying to do and your approach it may be.  chipping around the green and finesse shots are typically pretty short swings.   As you start getting into distance wedges,  you need to figure out how to control distances;  some will follow the PELZ system; which people will call mechanical, and others will say they "feel" the distance.  I would guess that they have over time determined distances based on a pelz approach and tweak the length of swing.   

I think your question is more about the distances that are shorter than their most lofted club.   Do players use one club from those distances or do they have multiple distances associated with multiple clubs.   For example, your most lofted clubs standard distance is 80 yards,  how does the player hit a 70, 60, 50, 45, 20, etc. yard shot.  

Yup, that’s what I meant!

I use my 56 degree for almost everything bc I want to maximize my feel on a limited number of hours I can practice. I can hit them high, low, soft, with extra spin, etc with that club. If I just need to get the ball rolling bc it’s needs a really delicate touch, and a lofted shot adds risk, I’ll bump an 8 iron. Enough loft to pop it over a little trouble, then it just rolls out.

Also, I don’t carry a 60 because I can just open my 56. I either carry an extra gap wedge so I can make more full swings from different distances, or a driving iron if I know the course is built to punish shots that miss the fairway.

• Like 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

3 hours ago, Grit Golf said:

I used to exclusively use my PW for everything. I'm not sure I know why I quit doing that. I got to where I could put it to pretty close proximity from 100 yards to right at the green. Maybe I should go back to it...lol.

In this month's "Today's Golfer", there is an article on this very subject.  According to the article, "Shot Scope data backs up just how much more effective a multi-dimensional short game is than trying to use the same club and shot each time..."  

The article provides a chart of players with poor short games.

Club usage from just off the green:

PW 16%

GW 9%

SW 24%

LW 42%

Putter 9%

(66% of shots are played with the 2 most lofted clubs).

The figures for better players:

8i 12%

9i 14%

PW 22%

GW 12%

SW 6%

LW 8%

Putter 18%

SW and LW now at 14%.  

The article states:  "The inescapable conclusion from this short game data is that better short-game players look to keep the ball flight down as much as possible, selecting the club that gets the ball rolling on the green quickest.  

The article is by Gavin Dear, Shot Scope commercial officer and former Walker Cup player.   

• Like 2

In this month's "Today's Golfer", there is an article on this very subject.  According to the article, "Shot Scope data backs up just how much more effective a multi-dimensional short game is than trying to use the same club and shot each time..."  

The article provides a chart of players with poor short games.

Club usage from just off the green:

PW 16%

GW 9%

SW 24%

LW 42%

Putter 9%

(66% of shots are played with the 2 most lofted clubs).

The figures for better players:

8i 12%

9i 14%

PW 22%

GW 12%

SW 6%

LW 8%

Putter 18%

SW and LW now at 14%.  

The article states:  "The inescapable conclusion from this short game data is that better short-game players look to keep the ball flight down as much as possible, selecting the club that gets the ball rolling on the green quickest.  

The article is by Gavin Dear, Shot Scope commercial officer and former Walker Cup player.   

So it has been done! Google turned up only snippets from an article titled “lob wedge addiction”.

It seems to run contrary to what my coach was telling me, except I bet most pros aren’t using shot scope. Maybe it’s a cyclical thing - high handicaps use lob wedges, then they realize how bad they are with them, they become low handicaps in part when they start getting the ball rolling immediately greenside, at which point the next quantum leap is to be a maestro w your lob wedge, that’s how you get to plus handicap?

There is still the question of what clubs get the most work from 80-20 yards. Is that done with a single club, a Pelz approach?

This is the scoring portion of the game, I’d love to see more stats on it by handicap!