Josh Ross

Edison Forged Wedges

Our Sponsors

So I've been a fan of Terry Koehler's work ever since I heard of Eidolon. The V Sole technology he created truly works when it's done right, effectively creating two bounce angles so that you can play on any condition. Unfortunately Cleveland didn't copy it very well and I struggle with my RTX-3 wedges. I'm of the belief that it's impossible to truly fit a traditional grind to someone because your conditions can change from course to course and even shot to shot. When I first got into golf, I had wedges with low bounce and with my steeper swing at the time I had trouble with digging into the turf. I was fit into higher bounce angles to help with the digging, but when I played courses that were hard and had tight lies, I couldn't get under the ball very well.

I was lucky enough to be a tester of the SCOR wedges on the forum I used to write for. They were unbelievably good for me, and if the faces hadn't worn out on the SW and LW I would still be gaming them. A few months ago I saw that TK was back from retirement with Edison Golf. He's completely redesigned the wedge and the robotic numbers are mind-boggling. His money back demo program is awesome so I've decided to get a set and put them through the paces. I plan to get launch monitor data along with data from on course usage and see how they do. I'll post some pictures up here when they come in and keep everyone updated on how they perform.

Anybody else a fan of his work with Eidolon, SCOR, or Hogan? Anyone considering giving these a go or interested in them?

Edison.jpg

• Like 8

Driver: :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 220 9.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.0
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Nice! Very interested in your experience with these.

Wasn’t he the designer for Scor? Thanks for the info as I hadn’t heard of Edison golf. Good luck!

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Here’s The blog post for it.

https://mygolfspy.com/edison-forged-wedge/

Also, it looks like our good buddy MattF started a thread a while back.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/36037-terry-koehler-is-at-it-again/

But still looking forward to getting a review!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Wasn’t he the designer for Scor? Thanks for the info as I hadn’t heard of Edison golf. Good luck!

Yep, that's him. I loved his work there.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Here’s The blog post for it.

https://mygolfspy.com/edison-forged-wedge/

Also, it looks like our good buddy MattF started a thread a while back.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/36037-terry-koehler-is-at-it-again/

But still looking forward to getting a review!

Dang, I tried finding a thread before starting this one. Looks like they weren't getting much love.

My only consistent miss with a wedge is catching it a little high on the face and coming up short so if this stops that it'll be a game changer for me. I figured with the risk free guarantee I had nothing to lose. Plus I miss the feeling of a forged wedge!

• Like 3

Dang, I tried finding a thread before starting this one. Looks like they weren't getting much love.
My only consistent miss with a wedge is catching it a little high on the face and coming up short so if this stops that it'll be a game changer for me. I figured with the risk free guarantee I had nothing to lose. Plus I miss the feeling of a forged wedge!

That is my miss too. High on the face.

I just linked the other threads to maybe give you some more info.
  • Like 1

Terry is one of the most outspoken and interesting interviews in golf. He's made some friends and some enemies along the way (check the comments on that blog post about Edison - wow!), but he's always interesting and tells it the way he sees it.

The Hogan TK-15 wedges remain among the best I've ever used (although you may have to pry the old Hogan Riviera wedges out of my cold, dead hands), and I'm anxious to try the new Edisons.  

• Like 6

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Terry is one of the most outspoken and interesting interviews in golf. He's made some friends and some enemies along the way (check the comments on that blog post about Edison - wow!), but he's always interesting and tells it the way he sees it.

The Hogan TK-15 wedges remain among the best I've ever used (although you may have to pry the old Hogan Riviera wedges out of my cold, dead hands), and I'm anxious to try the new Edisons.  

I've had the pleasure of talking with him before, it's safe to say I'm a fan! I got to use the TK-15's and liked them a lot but was still using the SCOR at the time and didn't have a reason to upgrade.

• Like 2

Anyone else see Yonex PM?  These look awesome. 

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Anyone else see Yonex PM?  These look awesome. 

Yep.!

IMG_7802.JPG

Also, speaking of PM. Titleist was way ahead of the times with that PM set. That looked to be the perfect combo set.

IMG_7803.JPG
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

So I've been a fan of Terry Koehler's work ever since I heard of Eidolon. The V Sole technology he created truly works when it's done right, effectively creating two bounce angles so that you can play on any condition. Unfortunately Cleveland didn't copy it very well and I struggle with my RTX-3 wedges. I'm of the belief that it's impossible to truly fit a traditional grind to someone because your conditions can change from course to course and even shot to shot. When I first got into golf, I had wedges with low bounce and with my steeper swing at the time I had trouble with digging into the turf. I was fit into higher bounce angles to help with the digging, but when I played courses that were hard and had tight lies, I couldn't get under the ball very well.

I was lucky enough to be a tester of the SCOR wedges on the forum I used to write for. They were unbelievably good for me, and if the faces hadn't worn out on the SW and LW I would still be gaming them. A few months ago I saw that TK was back from retirement with Edison Golf. He's completely redesigned the wedge and the robotic numbers are mind-boggling. His money back demo program is awesome so I've decided to get a set and put them through the paces. I plan to get launch monitor data along with data from on course usage and see how they do. I'll post some pictures up here when they come in and keep everyone updated on how they perform.

Anybody else a fan of his work with Eidolon, SCOR, or Hogan? Anyone considering giving these a go or interested in them?

Edison.jpg

I am interested in your results, and I am email chatting with Edison now.  I used the SCOR wedges 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58 when they were in business.  The 50 is the only one I'm gaming now because I have a gap between the 44 of my irons and my 54 Callaway PM Grind.  

I'm thinking about getting the Edison 51.  I like my Callaway wedges, but if the Edison works out, I may try other lofts.  The playability guarantee is awesome.  I I don't like it, Edison will buy whatever wedge I want and send me the change.  These wedges are pricey, so there will be change.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just here to say Hail Southern and NO PLACE ELSE!

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Love 1

• Driver: Taylormade M1
  • 4 wood:  Cobra X-Speed
  • 3 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • 5 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • Irons 6 - PW: PXG 0211
  • GW 49* SW 53* LW 57*: Yri Uri
  • Putter:  Big Oak Havana

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

9 hours ago, ga_pike said:

Just here to say Hail Southern and NO PLACE ELSE!

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Literally my favorite comment I've seen, you've made my day. Hail Southern! You'll appreciate this custom alignment stick cover I had made.

20200522_155440.jpg

I was on the phone for about an hour with Bill Totten of Edison Golf for almost an hour today talking about spin, grooves and weight distribution.  The more I hear about this wedge, the more I think I am the target audience.  He said that Terry Koehler read my email and wants to talk with me.  Me!  The wedge guy that I have been following for years wants to talk with Kenny B.  "I feel like break dancing."

Anyway, I have a 49º wedge coming with my specs and KBS Tour 90 regular flex.  Same shaft that's in my 54º and 60º Callaway PM Grind wedges.  I'm almost afraid that if I like it, I will end up with two more wedges.  However, the Callaways would be tough to kick out of my bag.

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I was on the phone for about an hour with Bill Totten of Edison Golf for almost an hour today talking about spin, grooves and weight distribution.  The more I hear about this wedge, the more I think I am the target audience.  He said that Terry Koehler read my email and wants to talk with me.  Me!  The wedge guy that I have been following for years wants to talk with Kenny B.  "I feel like break dancing."

Anyway, I have a 49º wedge coming with my specs and KBS Tour 90 regular flex.  Same shaft that's in my 54º and 60º Callaway PM Grind wedges.  I'm almost afraid that if I like it, I will end up with two more wedges.  However, the Callaways would be tough to kick out of my bag.

Nice! I got to speak with Bill and Terry both as well! Both are absolutely awesome people. I've got the 49, 53, and 57 on the way. I'm regretting ordering custom shafts, I need these wedges in my life!

• Like 2

Just now, Josh Ross said:

Nice! I got to speak with Bill and Terry both as well! Both are absolutely awesome people. I've got the 49, 53, and 57 on the way. I'm regretting ordering custom shafts, I need these wedges in my life!

Sweet!!  When you get them, let me know what you think.  If I had needed new SW and LW, I probably would have sprung for the set, but I'm not ready to replace the Callaways yet.  They are just so versatile around the green.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Sweet!!  When you get them, let me know what you think.  If I had needed new SW and LW, I probably would have sprung for the set, but I'm not ready to replace the Callaways yet.  They are just so versatile around the green.  

If these wedges are as good as advertised you'll probably end up with a set like me, haha. I'm excited that we can be some of the early users to put the claims to the test. All it's gonna take is some real world data to start rolling in before these take off.

I'll definitely be posting all of my feedback here!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Josh Ross said:

If these wedges are as good as advertised you'll probably end up with a set like me, haha. I'm excited that we can be some of the early users to put the claims to the test. All it's gonna take is some real world data to start rolling in before these take off.

I'll definitely be posting all of my feedback here!

I tend to agree.  There are a lot of players that can use wedges like these if they are as good as they claim.  I don't think high swing speed players will like them, but you never know.  

What did you and Terry talk about?  I asked a bunch of questions about his chart comparing Edison with tour wedges.  I think Terry wants to go through the independent testing that generated the data.  I questioned the results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I tend to agree.  There are a lot of players that can use wedges like these if they are as good as they claim.  I don't think high swing speed players will like them, but you never know.  

What did you and Terry talk about?  I asked a bunch of questions about his chart comparing Edison with tour wedges.  I think Terry wants to go through the independent testing that generated the data.  I questioned the results.

Well I hope you're wrong, haha. I have a decently high swing speed with driver at 105-110. I'm used to a smaller profile so we'll see how I feel about the thicker top line.

One of the things we discussed was the results of the independent testing. What some don't realize is that the data is not talking about well struck shots, but rather off-center hits. A lot of feedback I've seen out there immediately bashes the data because they think he's claiming a tour wedge only spins at 4886 rpms. But that's the spin on bad shots, and before I improved my wedge game I could definitely agree that off-center hits had little to no stopping power. My miss on wedges now is almost always the high on the face shot that comes up short so I'm hoping this alleviates that.

We also discussed my time as a tester with SCOR and talked about some of the awesome people I got to know with SCOR while I was writing for another forum. That transitioned into the comparison of SCOR to Edison and the V Sole. I mentioned the V Sole on my Cleveland wedges doesn't seem to be as versatile. He told me the V Sole is supposed to create two different bounce angles, but that the Cleveland V Sole has a negative bounce on one which is no bounce at all.

I know two things for sure. TK is very intelligent and I could talk golf with him all day. And he and Bill have me fired up about Edison!

• Like 3