TESTERS WANTED! ×

#COBRACONNECT Challenge 4

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

FINAL Standings:

Final.png

NOTE: If you want to catch up quickly, check the first post in this thread for key links and week-by-week summaries.

Nice! I truly believe that for many of us, if we can just get out of our own way mentally, we’d be 7 to 10 strokes better. And if the OL helps me in the confidence dept, I’m all for it. I had a golfing buddy of mine swing my current 4 iron, he said it felt like a fairway wood at address with its length and the ball just inside his left heel. 
How are the distance gaps with the scoring irons 8 down to GW ... are they consistent for you as well? And the 5 iron, feel like your getting the same distance as your previous set?
Another question, with the progressive offset, is the position of your hands the same at address for each club? 
And I def believe a younger version of me would have scoffed at the OL irons as gimmicky ... and thankful I’m a year short of 40 and don’t care what others think.  

The 5 iron distance is actually better with OL, but I attribute that to better contact and consistency. I my 5 about 185-190 and don’t really have an issue with stopping it on the green either. The gaps are 10 yards between clubs. With the scoring clubs they go sooooo high but the advantage I’ve seen is I can take a more aggressive line at the flag with the steeper angle of decent.
It’s taken a while but I’m finally able to set up with each club the same. That took the longest to change. My last few rounds my ball striking has been great. The other plus is the Arccos Cobra connect is awesome and humbling.
I’d do the global golf Utry to test them out.
I’m just north of thirty and all my buddies were definitely giving me crap about going OL but now that I’m beating them they’ve all shut up

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

51 minutes ago, twyatt700 said:

The 5 iron distance is actually better with OL, but I attribute that to better contact and consistency. I my 5 about 185-190 and don’t really have an issue with stopping it on the green either. The gaps are 10 yards between clubs. With the scoring clubs they go sooooo high but the advantage I’ve seen is I can take a more aggressive line at the flag with the steeper angle of decent.
It’s taken a while but I’m finally able to set up with each club the same. That took the longest to change. My last few rounds my ball striking has been great. The other plus is the Arccos Cobra connect is awesome and humbling.
I’m just north of thirty and all my buddies were definitely giving me crap about going OL but now that I’m beating them they’ve all shut up emoji850.png emoji23.png

Well I'm just slightly north of sixty 😲 Let's see if OL can teach this old dog new tricks! It gives me confidence to hear from the OL players out there and their experience with these clubs.
Thanks!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

3 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

I’m just north of thirty and all my buddies were definitely giving me crap about going OL but now that I’m beating them they’ve all shut up emoji850.png emoji23.png

That’s what I’ve read online, plus 1 from @Wedgie, and saw on YouTube via Rick Shiels ... that the scoring irons fly so so so high. That’s a good thought if the pin is tucked behind a bunker, take dead aim and have it land straight down at the pin. (easier said than done 😂

I’ve thought about the U Try program at GlobalGolf, but they don’t offer a custom option with Nippon shafts. Cobra has them on their site and doesn’t upcharge on the Nippon shafts, which is nice. 

Looking fwd to @daviddvm’s review. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

That’s what I’ve read online, plus 1 from [mention=66781]Wedgie[/mention], and saw on YouTube via Rick Shiels ... that the scoring irons fly so so so high. That’s a good thought if the pin is tucked behind a bunker, take dead aim and have it land straight down at the pin. (easier said than done
I’ve thought about the U Try program at GlobalGolf, but they don’t offer a custom option with Nippon shafts. Cobra has them on their site and doesn’t upcharge on the Nippon shafts, which is nice. 
Looking fwd to [mention=86024]daviddvm[/mention]’s review. 

My set is straight stock from global. Considering I have young children and a substantial student loan bill the golf budget isn’t as big as I’d like. I’m happy to see Cobra come out with their new player distance clubs in one length. I’m hoping to be able to upgrade in a year or two and actually get fit for them this time.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

2 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

My set is straight stock from global. Considering I have young children and a substantial student loan bill the golf budget isn’t as big as I’d like. I’m happy to see Cobra come out with their new player distance clubs in one length. I’m hoping to be able to upgrade in a year or two and actually get fit for them this time.

Been there, man! Our daughter’s daycare when we were living in Chicago at the time was UNREAL! 😱 It was like getting a mid-year raise once we moved back down South. 

And what’s this??? A winner in the ALIGN XL!!! Congrats dude! I’ve been a Snell guy for a long time, but that golfballs.com competition got me to visit their site ... and what do you know, ended up purchasing 2 dozen (4 dozen total) of their Srixon BOGO offer with a personalization. 😂 🙌🏼  

Edited by mikeanthony
grammar

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

image.png

Been there, man! Our daughter’s daycare when we were living in Chicago at the time was UNREAL! It was like getting a mid-year raise once we moved back down South. 
And what’s this??? A winner in the ALIGN XL!!! Congrats dude! I’ve been a Snell guy for a long time, but that golfballs.com competition got me to visit their site ... and what do you know, ended up purchasing 2 dozen (4 dozen total) of their Srixon BOGO offer with a personalization.    

I know I’m pumped! I’m a little nervous about doing a good job on the review. I’m a Bridgestone guy myself. I’ve been wanting to try snell but didn’t see them as an option. I’ve played srixon too they’re really nice too! I’m trying the whole play one ball thing the MGS guys keep preaching

For those of you that didn’t choose one length.  Why? 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

7 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

I know I’m pumped! I’m a little nervous about doing a good job on the review. I’m a Bridgestone guy myself. I’ve been wanting to try snell but didn’t see them as an option. I’ve played srixon too they’re really nice too! I’m trying the whole play one ball thing the MGS guys keep preaching

Ha! And it’s very true ... I can’t explain it, but once you’e played a specific ball consistently, you then notice the differences when you switch them up. Played Vice balls for a short bit, and they’re good for the price ... caved and tried the Snells, and they’re significantly better off the tee and IMO a bit softer and playable around the greens compared to Vice. Been playing Snells for over a year now ... but I’ll add that they do scuff a bit easily. 

Couldn’t pass up a good Srixon deal ... plus I’m intrigued as I’ve never played them before. 

image.png

5 hours ago, GB13 said:

Cowardice mainly... 

I’m very intrigued by the OL, the entire concept makes sense to me. BUT, I just can’t commit to it, it seems like too big of a risk. I’m pretty happy with my iron game with variable length clubs, and I just don’t want to jeopardize it.

I wouldn’t call it cowardice. But as you said, it’s a big risk to take the leap and invest into a new concept after one has grooved their iron swing over many years. One also has to worry if Cobra would ever abandon the concept ... then what happens when it comes time to update one’s existing OL irons. 

Not sure if I read it on MGS or elsewhere, but a significant percentage of Cobra’s new irons sales are the OLs. 

If it weren’t for my recent Titleist TS2 Driver purchase, I’d likely pull the trigger and buy their OL Forged Tec. Thinking it’s more and more likely the OL irons will be my next set and hoping I can convince myself before year end. It seems as though the science and technology behind the OL concept is becoming more mature for Cobra. 🐍 

image.png

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

Cowardice mainly... 

I’m very intrigued by the OL, the entire concept makes sense to me. BUT, I just can’t commit to it, it seems like too big of a risk. I’m pretty happy with my iron game with variable length clubs, and I just don’t want to jeopardize it.

I didn’t realize you were a winner as well! Congrats! 🙌🏼  

Which set will you be testing? 

image.png

I’ve never tried one length, but could see myself using a sort of blended set as the clubs get longer. I wouldn’t mind trying a one length hybrid or 4-6 irons to see how that feels, but I already play them short, so I don’t feel like they are unwieldy.

I WOULD try them, but the unfamiliarity with them has me prefer to compete with a conventional set here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

I didn’t realize you were a winner as well! Congrats! 🙌🏼  

Which set will you be testing? 

Thank you!!

I’ll be testing the conventional length Forged Tec irons with the MIM wedges. 

4 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

I wouldn’t call it cowardice. But as you said, it’s a big risk to take the leap and invest into a new concept after one has grooved their iron swing over many years. One also has to worry if Cobra would ever abandon the concept ... then what happens when it comes time to update one’s existing OL irons. 

Not sure if I read it on MGS or elsewhere, but a significant percentage of Cobra’s new irons sales are the OLs. 

If it weren’t for my recent Titleist TS2 Driver purchase, I’d likely pull the trigger and buy their OL Forged Tec. Thinking it’s more and more likely the OL irons will be my next set and hoping I can convince myself before year end. It seems as though the science and technology behind the OL concept is becoming more mature for Cobra. 🐍 

I don’t really except Cobra to abandon the OL concept. In fact, I’d lean toward thinking other manufacturers might add an OL option. I think it is gaining popularity, both with people who just want to consistently groove one swing, and people who don’t have as much time to practice as they want to. Those two categories make up a very large segment of the golfing population. Not only does the theory behind the OL make sense to most people, Cobra markets it really, really well.

When you do pull the trigger, keep us updated here as to the results. I’d be very interested in how they work out for you.

1 hour ago, edingc said:

@GB13and @B.Boston share most of my sentiments as well.

Early/mid-season like it is, after spending a lot of time since November taking lessons and practicing, I'd like to compete with something similar to my current makeup. While the SpeedZone irons are more lofted than my Maltby PTMs, I hope that I can expect similar performance with hopefully more forgiveness.

If I could get my hands on one lengths in October, and practice all winter, then I'd be game to try them.

Cowardice, mostly... 😂

Couldn’t agree more. The Forged Tec irons are certainly a bit of a change from my I200s, but it wouldn’t be anything like going OL!! 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'll volunteer to test Cobra's one-length offerings if y'all still need somebody for this challenge.

Always been intrigued by it.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Cowardice mainly... 

Great answer, probably would be my reply also.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Great answer, probably would be my reply also.

The OL is intriguing and the physics behind it make sense.  But after 50+ years of playing traditional length design, I too would have been in a major conundrum had I been selected for this review... more than likely dancing with who brung me.  As I stated earlier, I commend @daviddvmfor taking the leap and will be real interested to see what he thinks.  Maybe it is an easier transition than we (I) think?

57 minutes ago, GB13 said:

In fact, I’d lean toward thinking other manufacturers might add an OL option.

I think you're right and suspect they will get traction with younger folks just picking up the game. Obviously if this approach was a dramatic game changer, many more touring pros would be testing and switching - but they are not.  If El Tigre ever decides to switch, say goodbye to varied length shafts 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

The OL is intriguing and the physics behind it make sense.  But after 50+ years of playing traditional length design, I too would have been in a major conundrum had I been selected for this review... more than likely dancing with who brung me.  As I stated earlier, I commend @daviddvmfor taking the leap and will be real interested to see what he thinks.  Maybe it is an easier transition than we (I) think?

I think you're right and suspect they will get traction with younger folks just picking up the game. Obviously if this approach was a dramatic game changer, many more touring pros would be testing and switching - but they are not.  If El Tigre ever decides to switch, say goodbye to varied length shafts 🙂.

Agreed. All good points and as @GB13 mentioned, other OEMs jumping on the OL concept as well would be validation that it works. Honestly, it’s hard for me to imagine a world in which all the OEMs got to that ... if so, awesome. 👏🏼 

And after getting hammered in ‘07 thru ‘09, it’s just my initial feelings and observations ... but the golf course sector appears to be picking back up again. Don’t have the numbers to back it up, but casual conversations with local Pro Shops are confirming as much. Between the home simulators, launch monitors, GPS phone apps, data metrics like ARCCOS ... it’s making the game fun. And like anything else, it’s a cyclical sport. Also, to your point, the OL can be appealing to younger golfers picking up the game. 

To the physics point, I can see a shaft company creating a set of OL iron shafts that are the same weight and stiffness ... but the shafts for the 6/7 irons and up are built for higher launch ... and the shafts for the 8/9 irons and down are built for lower launch. I do know (or believe) that Cobra makes takes into account the weight of the heads and the varying points of the head’s CG, right? Lol 

image.png

3 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I’ve never tried one length, but could see myself using a sort of blended set as the clubs get longer. I wouldn’t mind trying a one length hybrid or 4-6 irons to see how that feels, but I already play them short, so I don’t feel like they are unwieldy.

I WOULD try them, but the unfamiliarity with them has me prefer to compete with a conventional set here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m a bit late to this thread, but did catch those initial pages ... hilarious! 😂 

The only thing I like about Boston is ‘The Truth’ ... and THAT’S IT! 🙅🏻‍♂️🏀🔥

Just gonna leave this here ... 😉🐬 the moment Gronk realized he’s gonna retire. 😎 

59693511-17B2-4BEF-A0E3-56565CA483F2.jpeg

image.png

3 hours ago, edingc said:

@GB13and @B.Boston share most of my sentiments as well.

Early/mid-season like it is, after spending a lot of time since November taking lessons and practicing, I'd like to compete with something similar to my current makeup. While the SpeedZone irons are more lofted than my Maltby PTMs, I hope that I can expect similar performance with hopefully more forgiveness.

If I could get my hands on one-lengths in October, and practice all winter, then I'd be game to try them.

Cowardice, mostly... 😂

Seven and eight irons have always been my most consistent irons! So I like my chances of improving with the One length clubs🤞

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

11 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I hope that it is an easy transition for @daviddvm as well. He certainly is the bravest of the testers!

@daviddvm...no pressure... the golf world at large is awaiting your results with bated breath 😬.  It wouldn't surprise me that even Bryson (under his MGS name) is following this.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

@daviddvm...no pressure... the golf world at large is awaiting your results with bated breath 😬.  It wouldn't surprise me that even Bryson (under his MGS name) is following this.

How you would you even know Bryson had a burner account on here? Unless.....

As others have said, one length is intriguing. If I were to test it out I'd be more interested in a partial one length bag. Maybe a one length hybrid and the OL 5-7 iron, with my other clubs maintaining their regular length. I hit everything 7 and below very well, so I would not be super interested in changing that. And going OL around the green could cause lots of issues. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

46 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Come on Bryson, any tips you can throw my way would be appreciated😃

15 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Just a traditionalist I guess. I think if I had the opportunity to hit both side by side for an extended period of time I could have made an educated decision to go one way or the other. Without every getting to hit OL, I just felt more comfortable with a traditional set. I do look forward to seeing if there is game improvement by  those that went the OL route.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

One length irons were really brought back to the mainstream by Bryson DeChambeau when he won the US Amateur and NCAA Championship in 2015.

At the time he was using Edel single length irons but after turning pro he soon signed a deal with Cobra.

It then prompted Cobra to release their own single length irons with the release of the the F7 and Forged One models.

They’ve recently introduced the F8 One and are also offering hybrids and wedges in single length too.

Wishon are the third brand to offer single length with their Sterling irons.

It may seem like something new and a bit funky to some but Bobby Jones, arguably the greatest amateur player ever, used single length irons.

8 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

One length irons were really brought back to the mainstream by Bryson DeChambeau when he won the US Amateur and NCAA Championship in 2015.

At the time he was using Edel single length irons but after turning pro he soon signed a deal with Cobra.

It then prompted Cobra to release their own single length irons with the release of the the F7 and Forged One models.

They’ve recently introduced the F8 One and are also offering hybrids and wedges in single length too.

Wishon are the third brand to offer single length with their Sterling irons.

It may seem like something new and a bit funky to some but Bobby Jones, arguably the greatest amateur player ever, used single length irons.

Get OUT! Bobby Jones did???? 

image.png