TESTERS WANTED! ×

#COBRACONNECT Challenge 4

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

FINAL Standings:

Final.png

NOTE: If you want to catch up quickly, check the first post in this thread for key links and week-by-week summaries.

Awesome update @edingc!  Can’t wait to see what the distance carryover is for the golf course and how the SZ stacks up against your old gamer 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

17 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

The secret to that is doing a perfect haka.  Am I right @GB13?

Mayyyyyyte, the Haka is all in the thighs....

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

6 hours ago, edingc said:

I had the wonderful opportunity this afternoon to get fit for this challenge at Leading Edge Golf in Okemos, Michigan. I've stuck a few pictures below and will create a gallery later with a few more. I had an awesome time!

IMG_16062020_184920_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg.15ee5658160812c57d77b0982a866d7b.jpg

IMG_16062020_184858_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg.199dd3bd431efc7eb9cc3fb14cafa242.jpgIMG_16062020_184947_(1067_x_800_pixel).jpg.4f16a65df9f2942ea81107f9cd9c21c4.jpg

Josh, my fitter, spent several years fitting for PGA Tour players and is a member of an advisory board for Cobra, so I felt really comfortable from the get-go today, which made the nearly 90 minute drive for me worth it! (Another cool fact - he fits many of the local "celebrities," including several members of the Detroit Red Wings and various college coaches from many of Michigan's universities.) I really appreciated Josh was willing to talk numbers with me, as I am analytical by nature and also enjoy the various technologies employed by the heads, shafts, etc. Would I be a Spy if I didn't?!?

We started with the SpeedZone irons, and without giving too much away, they are very easy to look at and launch. Loft-jacking aside, I saw some crazy ball speed numbers with good spin and descent angles, and I wasn't even swinging my best. I cycled through all of the shafts Cobra offers in the SpeedZones, but none topped the KBS C-Taper Lites, the same shaft I already play in my Maltby PTMs. Something about those shafts really suit my swing, and I love the feeling I get from them. To be honest, the biggest surprise with the irons was how much I hated the Nippon Modus 105s. Just felt all wrong to me. 

This was the first time I've spent significant time on Trackman since my lessons over the past few months, and I was ecstatic to see my club path with my irons has improved a lot. Most swings are now neutral or slightly in-to-out, which led to a bunch of nice draws with the SpeedZone 7-iron I hit.

We then moved to the top of the bag, working through a few different combinations of hybrid lofts and shafts. I'm not a huge fan of hybrids, but I've found the Cobra hybrids seem to work pretty well for me. Josh was very careful to ensure that the combo we settled on didn't go left like so many hybrids can do.

Obviously, the SpeedZone driver and fairways woods were the biggest pieces of puzzle for the day. I wish I could say I striped a bunch of great shots with both, but the reality is my driver and fairway wood swings need a lot of work.

I am very steep with my wood swings, and generate a lot of spin. We cycled through a bunch of different head settings and shafts trying to knock that down and eventually settled on a tour length SpeedZone Xtreme, turned down to 7.5 degrees, with the Aldila Rogue Silver. I really liked the feel of the Rogue Silver and with a few tweaks I did start hitting some better shots. Just for fun we also cycled through some exotic shafts, and I'm now in love with the Fujikura Motore X...

The final specs I will be submitting to Cobra are:

Driver - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 9 Degree, Tour Length (44.5"), Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Stiff - Set to 7.5 Degrees
3 Wood - Cobra SpeedZone 14.5 Degree, -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff - Set to 13.5 Degrees
2 Hybrid  - Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4
4-GW - Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", 2 Degrees Flat, KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
54, 58 Wedges - KING Black, Versatile Grind, 3 Degrees Flat (if that can be done), KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff (soft-stepped once)
Grips - Lamkin Sonar Cobra Connect

Overall, today was an extremely fun and rewarding day.

I’m happy to hear your fitting went so well!!! Seems like one hell of a setup you got there. I expect I’ll be debating between the CTL and $Taper tomorrow. Although I’ve never actually been fitted for irons before (which I’m super excited about doing) so I really have no idea what to expect, those just kinda “seem” like they’d fit my game well. 

2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

The secret to that is doing a perfect haka.  Am I right @GB13?

I dunno, if his Haka is “high, dirty, and sexy”, I’m not sure I want to see it anymore.

1 hour ago, Nunfa0 said:

If I don’t wanna see your sexy calves, I sure as hell don’t want to see your dirty, sexy thighs. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

8 minutes ago, edingc said:

I didn't bother bring in my Maltby PTMs because I wasn't there for a comparison, but I bet if I had, I would have seen similar descent, launch and spin angles from my 7-iron. Based on what I was seeing, I don't see any problem holding a green with these.

Of the fitting experiences I've had, this is now easily my favorite. Once I started getting into a little groove with the Aldila Rogue Silver, the numbers were looking better. 

Don't worry - woods will be matte black/white. Especially now that I've gone with the Rogue which has the white color in it. I'm ready for a matte-topped driver again.

Thanks! I'm really excited to get everything in. One of the biggest things I'm excited about is that we discussed club length quite a bit and he recommended shorter clubs across the board. I have long arms for my height, and I always feel very awkward with standard length drivers and woods. Since I cut down my Epic Flash a few weeks ago I have been hitting the ball much better, so the Tour Length SZX should be a match made in heaven.

If you're currently gaming the Steelfibers, I suspect you will like the feel of the CTLs. At least for my swing, they feel very similar.

I know someone who thinks fitting is just a money-grab, and while I agree there are some fitters that are less than top quality, when you get a good fitting it's eye-opening. Had I just been handed a set of SpeedZones with the Nippon Modus 105s I think I would have told you I'd rather hit my old clubs. The balance and feel just seemed all wrong to me, and it was reflected in some really poor strikes. (That's not a knock on Nippon or the Modus 105s as I know they are quality shafts, but for me with these heads, they just didn't work out.)

It’s all about the bend profile. Modus 105 has a softer tip. It’s sneaky hard to control a club with a soft tip. The KBS CTL has a stiff butt section, so I imagine you’d feel it loading more in your hands which could give you a feeling of control. 

I love the modus 120. Super stiff tip, mid stiff middle, firm butt. Controls the club head really well, making it easier to square the face up more often. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

2 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

It’s all about the bend profile. Modus 105 has a softer tip. It’s sneaky hard to control a club with a soft tip. The KBS CTL has a stiff butt section, so I imagine you’d feel it loading more in your hands which could give you a feeling of control. 

I love the modus 120. Super stiff tip, mid stiff middle, firm butt. Controls the club head really well, making it easier to square the face up more often. 

I agree, I love the modus 120. Got a set of forge tec on the way with the modus 120 shafts. That just felt right the first time I hit it. I could not control a single ball with the standard KBS Lite shaft.. The balls were just all over the place but with the modus 120 I had a nice little baby draw with every shot. If I am super lucky I might get them tomorrow but most likely some time next week. The ship to the club so I can´t track the package 🙃

12 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

That's a very accurate representation of how it feels to me.

I'm excited about the Aldila Rogue Silver as it felt so much better than the HZRDUS Yellow I'm currently gaming. We tried the HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (stock option for Cobra) and it still felt just as lifeless and awful as my current one.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

12 hours ago, edingc said:

I had the wonderful opportunity this afternoon to get fit for this challenge at Leading Edge Golf in Okemos, Michigan. I've stuck a few pictures below and will create a gallery later with a few more. I had an awesome time!

IMG_16062020_184920_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg.15ee5658160812c57d77b0982a866d7b.jpg

IMG_16062020_184858_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg.199dd3bd431efc7eb9cc3fb14cafa242.jpgIMG_16062020_184947_(1067_x_800_pixel).jpg.4f16a65df9f2942ea81107f9cd9c21c4.jpg

Josh, my fitter, spent several years fitting for PGA Tour players and is a member of an advisory board for Cobra, so I felt really comfortable from the get-go today, which made the nearly 90 minute drive for me worth it! (Another cool fact - he fits many of the local "celebrities," including several members of the Detroit Red Wings and various college coaches from many of Michigan's universities.) I really appreciated Josh was willing to talk numbers with me, as I am analytical by nature and also enjoy the various technologies employed by the heads, shafts, etc. Would I be a Spy if I didn't?!?

We started with the SpeedZone irons, and without giving too much away, they are very easy to look at and launch. Loft-jacking aside, I saw some crazy ball speed numbers with good spin and descent angles, and I wasn't even swinging my best. I cycled through all of the shafts Cobra offers in the SpeedZones, but none topped the KBS C-Taper Lites, the same shaft I already play in my Maltby PTMs. Something about those shafts really suit my swing, and I love the feeling I get from them. To be honest, the biggest surprise with the irons was how much I hated the Nippon Modus 105s. Just felt all wrong to me. 

This was the first time I've spent significant time on Trackman since my lessons over the past few months, and I was ecstatic to see my club path with my irons has improved a lot. Most swings are now neutral or slightly in-to-out, which led to a bunch of nice draws with the SpeedZone 7-iron I hit.

We then moved to the top of the bag, working through a few different combinations of hybrid lofts and shafts. I'm not a huge fan of hybrids, but I've found the Cobra hybrids seem to work pretty well for me. Josh was very careful to ensure that the combo we settled on didn't go left like so many hybrids can do.

Obviously, the SpeedZone driver and fairways woods were the biggest pieces of puzzle for the day. I wish I could say I striped a bunch of great shots with both, but the reality is my driver and fairway wood swings need a lot of work.

I am very steep with my wood swings, and generate a lot of spin. We cycled through a bunch of different head settings and shafts trying to knock that down and eventually settled on a tour length SpeedZone Xtreme, turned down to 7.5 degrees, with the Aldila Rogue Silver. I really liked the feel of the Rogue Silver and with a few tweaks I did start hitting some better shots. Just for fun we also cycled through some exotic shafts, and I'm now in love with the Fujikura Motore X...

The final specs I will be submitting to Cobra are:

Driver - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 9 Degree, Tour Length (44.5"), Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Stiff - Set to 7.5 Degrees
3 Wood - Cobra SpeedZone 14.5 Degree, -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff - Set to 13.5 Degrees
2 Hybrid  - Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4
4-GW - Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", 2 Degrees Flat, KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
54, 58 Wedges - KING Black, Versatile Grind, 3 Degrees Flat (if that can be done), KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff (soft-stepped once)
Grips - Lamkin Sonar Cobra Connect

Overall, today was an extremely fun and rewarding day.

Sweet!! Just curious, what lead you out to Leading Edge?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

27 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

That all makes sense. I’ve got the Modus 105 stiffs in my current irons and they just work for me. I’m not a huge loader in my swing. Wanted to like the KBS shafts for I love their matte chrome finish of their irons. I remember the Tour 90 being a no-go, Tour V was in there, with the Taper Lite being in the mix in the end as well. Did any of you guys swing the Mizuno shaft tempo monitor while there? 

And you are correct, it really is a religious experience when you go through a true 60-90 full bag fitting. Since we’re moving to the ‘subscription economy’ maybe a fitter will offer a fitting subscription program. ... ‘Still the same shafts? Perfect! All I needed to know. See you next month!’ 😂 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

7 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

For someone who professes that they don't do the Haka, you sure seem to know a lot about how to do it...😉

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

6 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Sweet!! Just curious, what lead you out to Leading Edge?

Couple of things -

1) Cost was comparable/better than Club Champion, which would have been my local option in Grand Rapids. They were also able to get me in on short notice.

2) I wanted to be fit on Trackman because I already have an established Trackman account and like to reference numbers. That eliminated Golf Emporium as they use a Flightscope.

3) This is not a knock on Maple Hill, but their Trackman fitting studio is not as large and I always end up pulling the ball left in there for some reason. No issue with that at LE (which apparently has the second largest Trackman screen in the US behind the White House, according to Josh).

4) I wanted to hit a few exotic shafts (Ventus, Motore X) that I knew Maple Hill wouldn't carry. Leading Edge carries anything and everything your could ever want to hit.

1 minute ago, mikeanthony said:

That all makes sense. I’ve got the Modus 105 stiffs in my current irons and they just work for me. I’m not a huge loader in my swing. Wanted to like the KBS shafts for I love their matte chrome finish of their irons. I remember the Tour 90 being a no-go, Tour V was in there, with the Taper Lite being in the mix in the end as well. Did any of you guys swing the Mizuno shaft tempo monitor while there? 

And you are correct, it really is a religious experience when you go through a true 60-90 full bag fitting. Since we’re moving to the ‘subscription economy’ maybe a fitter will offer a fitting subscription program. ... ‘Still the same shafts? Perfect! All I needed to know. See you next month!’ 😂 

I was on the Mizuno optimizer last fall, where I was 83 MPH with a 4 tempo. Recommended shafts were KBS C-Taper Lite stiff, KBS Tour Regular, AeroTech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff and Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff. As you can see, my swing speed has gone up slightly since then. We were debating about going to X-flex in the C-Taper Lites but I wasn't having any issues with the stiffs.

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

I didn't bother bring in my Maltby PTMs because I wasn't there for a comparison, but I bet if I had, I would have seen similar descent, launch and spin angles from my 7-iron. Based on what I was seeing, I don't see any problem holding a green with these.

Of the fitting experiences I've had, this is now easily my favorite. Once I started getting into a little groove with the Aldila Rogue Silver, the numbers were looking better. 

Don't worry - woods will be matte black/white. Especially now that I've gone with the Rogue which has the white color in it. I'm ready for a matte-topped driver again.

Thanks! I'm really excited to get everything in. One of the biggest things I'm excited about is that we discussed club length quite a bit and he recommended shorter clubs across the board. I have long arms for my height, and I always feel very awkward with standard length drivers and woods. Since I cut down my Epic Flash a few weeks ago I have been hitting the ball much better, so the Tour Length SZX should be a match made in heaven.

If you're currently gaming the Steelfibers, I suspect you will like the feel of the CTLs. At least for my swing, they feel very similar.

I know someone who thinks fitting is just a money-grab, and while I agree there are some fitters that are less than top quality, when you get a good fitting it's eye-opening. Had I just been handed a set of SpeedZones with the Nippon Modus 105s I think I would have told you I'd rather hit my old clubs. The balance and feel just seemed all wrong to me, and it was reflected in some really poor strikes. (That's not a knock on Nippon or the Modus 105s as I know they are quality shafts, but for me with these heads, they just didn't work out.)

I’d be curious to know your reaction going from forged to cast irons. I moved on from my Snake Eyes 600c irons that I had for 10 years, for I just simply don’t play that much anymore and father time ... to my current TM M1s and while my game has significantly benefited from the switch, I truly do miss the feel of forged irons. There just isn’t anything like it.

It’s one of the reasons I’ve been eyeing 👀 the OL Forged Tecs. 

Edited by mikeanthony

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

image.png

I was on the Mizuno optimizer last fall, where I was 83 MPH with a 4 tempo. Recommended shafts were KBS C-Taper Lite stiff, KBS Tour Regular, AeroTech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff and Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff. As you can see, my swing speed has gone up slightly since then. We were debating about going to X-flex in the C-Taper Lites but I wasn't having any issues with the stiffs.

Did you end up trying the Ventus or motoreX?

When I was swinging last week I was right at 90 and also could go S or X. Driver was at 108ish and the s flex was working better. Those are off GC Quad which I think is slightly different than trackman numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

43 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

I’d be curious to know your reaction going from forged to cast irons. I moved on from my Snake Eyes 600c irons that I had for 10 years, for I just simply don’t play that much anymore and father time ... to my current TM M1s and while my game has significantly benefited from the switch, I truly do miss the feel of forged irons. There just isn’t anything like it.

It’s one of the reasons I’ve been eyeing 👀 the OL Forged Tecs. 

I suspect the biggest difference will be a loss of feeling exactly where I hit the ball on the face. I played cast clubs up until the PTMs, so I don't think it will be a huge adjustment. I definitely didn't feel like the SpeedZones felt "off" or anything. They certainly felt explosive and the ball speed numbers confirmed that.

42 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Did you end up trying the Ventus or motoreX?

When I was swinging last week I was right at 90 and also could go S or X. Driver was at 108ish and the s flex was working better. Those are off GC Quad which I think is slightly different than trackman numbers

Tried both the Ventus Black and Motore X F3. Preferred the Motore X and the numbers were better, too. Josh was real honest about it and said the Aldila Rogue Silver produced just as good as numbers for me (given my swing at the moment) and he would not recommend spending money on the Motore.

I think I topped driver out at about 103 yesterday. I've said it before I think, but I generate way more speed with my irons than driver/woods. Some of that is because of my AoA - if I swing any faster I just spin the ball more. I have a few drills to work on to try to get it more leveled out. I do suspect the shorter shaft (he did not have any tour length shafts) will help me some, as my driving with the shortened Epic Flash has been so much better.

EDIT - Confirmed with Josh I actually hit the F3.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

Tried both the Ventus Black and Motore X F1. Preferred the Motore X and the numbers were better, too. Josh was real honest about it and said the Aldila Rogue Silver produced just as good as numbers for me (given my swing at the moment) and he would not recommend spending money on the Motore.
I think I topped driver out at about 103 yesterday. I've said it before I think, but I generate way more speed with my irons than driver/woods. Some of that is because of my AoA - if I swing any faster I just spin the ball more. I have a few drills to work on to try to get it more leveled out. I do suspect the shorter shaft (he did not have any tour length shafts) will help me some, as my driving with the shortened Epic Flash has been so much better.

I was lucky to be able to swing the HZRDUS smoke yellow in the Tour Length but it didn’t have the extra head weight. But my strike location was already much tighter with that than the standard length. Really looking forward to playing the TL as I’ve been choking up on the M5 and getting much better results than trying to swing it at 45.25. I was going to trim it down and regrip it but I’ll prob just wait now. I might send that shaft to my fitter to put the cobra tip on and if that’s the case I’ll have him trim it down to TL as well.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Couple of things -

1) Cost was comparable/better than Club Champion, which would have been my local option in Grand Rapids. They were also able to get me in on short notice.

2) I wanted to be fit on Trackman because I already have an established Trackman account and like to reference numbers. That eliminated Golf Emporium as they use a Flightscope.

3) This is not a knock on Maple Hill, but their Trackman fitting studio is not as large and I always end up pulling the ball left in there for some reason. No issue with that at LE (which apparently has the second largest Trackman screen in the US behind the White House, according to Josh).

4) I wanted to hit a few exotic shafts (Ventus, Motore X) that I knew Maple Hill wouldn't carry. Leading Edge carries anything and everything your could ever want to hit.

Nice. I need to hop over to the SuperSpeed forum and see how those are working for our fellow MGSpiers ... would love to pick up an extra 5mph of swing speed across the board. 

I have the SKLZ Gold Flex and mainly use it as a stretch and warming up tool during those early morning rounds.  

image.png

2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

This is one of the things I truely love about this forum and the CCC threads. We go from "You suck, you can't play golf and you smell like boiled cabbage" to a serious discussion about shaft kick points 🤣😁😎

Game recognizes game.  🤣

@edingc  some discussion about the topline of the SZ irons went on when they debuted.  Did you find the carbon distracting? 

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

59 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Game recognizes game.  🤣

@edingc  some discussion about the topline of the SZ irons went on when they debuted.  Did you find the carbon distracting? 

I actually liked the look of the top line of the SpeedZone irons and they were very explosive off of the face. Very eager to get my hands on them again🏌️‍♂️

image.png.7de025fe045549a8c85705afdb4275a7.png

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

4 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

Nice. I need to hop over to the SuperSpeed forum and see how those are working for our fellow MGSpiers ... would love to pick up an extra 5mph of swing speed across the board. 

I have the SKLZ Gold Flex and mainly use it as a stretch and warming up tool during those early morning rounds.  

I use the Gold Flex as well, combo'ed with some stretches. Works wonders.

4 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Game recognizes game.  🤣

Agree totally with @daviddvm. I honestly didn't really notice the carbon fiber. The first thing I noticed is they did have a slightly larger footprint than what I'm used to, but a few swings and results really made me forget about anything I didn't like about them.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I was lucky to be able to swing the HZRDUS smoke yellow in the Tour Length but it didn’t have the extra head weight. But my strike location was already much tighter with that than the standard length. Really looking forward to playing the TL as I’ve been choking up on the M5 and getting much better results than trying to swing it at 45.25. I was going to trim it down and regrip it but I’ll prob just wait now. I might send that shaft to my fitter to put the cobra tip on and if that’s the case I’ll have him trim it down to TL as well.

In my fitting, I ended up with a shorter shaft for the F9 driver. 

I'm wondering if this is a trend, or if we are just a few outliers.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

13 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I agree with you about the Modus 105s. I had those shafts (possibly an older version, not sure) in a Titleist AP1 set a few years back, and I hated them vehemently. As mentioned earlier, the tip was so soft that I had no confidence I could strike the ball solidly. 

They still suck, can’t play golf, and smell like boiled cabbage, but they sure can talk about golf as if they knew how to play it.

Hey my grandfather always said "if you're gonna play like $h!t at least look good doing it" thats why my hat has to match! He didn't have the science behind clubs back in his day so I have no good quotes from him for shaft kick points....Sorry...

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

This has been a fun thread, but ... what are the rules around the competition once the gents get their clubs?

And who’s taking side-bets for the player with the best handicap stats within the ARCCOS data for driving, putting, etc ... 😎 

image.png

Typically, the rules are announced once all the competitors receive their full set up. Traditionally there is a weekly competition for the players and something for the forum members to chime in with.
If you have an Arccos account, you can find the competitors and sneak a peak at the stats so the side-bets could be tough to keep honest.
Without looking, I'm gonna say that [mention=81594]GB13[/mention] is gonna have the best approach stat, [mention=84579]edingc[/mention] is gonna have the best driving stat, [mention=86024]daviddvm[/mention] will have the best chipping stat, [mention=74341]Headhammer[/mention] will have the best putting stat, and while not an official Arccos stat, [mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] is gonna have the best stat for watching his NFL team go from first to worst.

While I cannot speak to the accuracy of most of your statements. The New England Patriots will in no way will end up in last place even if they take several significant steps backwards. They still have the JETS, BILLS, and DOLPHINS in their division.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

They still have the JETS, BILLS, and DOLPHINS in their division.

giphy.gif

Gameday

Classic Bag

6 hours ago, edingc said:

I suspect the biggest difference will be a loss of feeling exactly where I hit the ball on the face. I played cast clubs up until the PTMs, so I don't think it will be a huge adjustment. I definitely didn't feel like the SpeedZones felt "off" or anything. They certainly felt explosive and the ball speed numbers confirmed that.

Tried both the Ventus Black and Motore X F3. Preferred the Motore X and the numbers were better, too. Josh was real honest about it and said the Aldila Rogue Silver produced just as good as numbers for me (given my swing at the moment) and he would not recommend spending money on the Motore.

EDIT - Confirmed with Josh I actually hit the F3.

That's interesting re: driver vs iron speed. I feel like I'm the complete opposite and hit driver disproportionately further than my other clubs.

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

Dress 60s, Think 70s, Shoot 80s

aka, me 😭

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond