TESTERS WANTED! ×

#COBRACONNECT Challenge 4

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

FINAL Standings:

Final.png

NOTE: If you want to catch up quickly, check the first post in this thread for key links and week-by-week summaries.

2 minutes ago, edingc said:

I'll lead with the scorecard as the front nine was the best I've ever recorded (1-over 37). Back nine obviously wasn't ideal, but given the challenge I'm very ecstatic about the score. Best round with the SpeedZone stuff in the bag so far!

2027649617_2020-08-1110_25_13-ArccosGolfDashboard_MyRounds.png.b5c275c8a3a63881a5a31aa10e7c1000.png

par3.jpg.204b9c8d4cd63c43e4e5ed376e700152.jpg

This is a fantastic weekly challenge! Irons only was good, if a little frustrating with the lack of lofted wedges, but only having longer clubs and wedges makes for quite the conundrum on several holes. Lots of thinking and lots of good opportunities to score for me since I drove the ball well today.

water.jpg.d9ab61ce927fb55be42f66e98d78fd31.jpg

I may have been a bit lucky - we got a heavy rainstorm last night and the course was soaked. (Above is the bunker, err... casual water hazard, on No. 2). This meant no roll with the driver, but on the beneficial side of things, it meant I could run a lot of balls along the ground with my 17 degree hybrid and get them to stop. I hit and parred both par 3s on the front with choked-up and lightly hit 2 hybrid off the tee, and was able to hit a few greens with the hybrid later in the round also.

Hit a lot of quality drives and, wow, did I miss my wedges last week! Combined with some pretty good putting and this was probably the best round I've played all year here. I made three mistakes that cost me four shots:

• Pulled my drive left OB in the trees on No. 14. This hurt because I had just birdied No. 13 for the first time this year and, in my fit of confidence, opted to pull driver when I should have pulled hybrid.
  • After hitting my second drive into the left rough on No. 14, I pulled my gap wedge when I really needed about 165-170 yards for a usable layup. Complete loss of brain function. While I hit a really nice gap wedge, it only went 130 yards and left me no choice but to hit a hybrid from 160 over water. I gave it my best effort but ended up about 20 yards past the green in some nasty rough, where I had to chip back onto the green and two-putt to escape with a triple bogey.
  • On No. 16 I pushed my drive just right, but knew it should be OK from the tee box. I looked, and looked and looked for the ball but could not find it for minutes. Frustrated, I was just about to head back to the tee box when I saw the ball just hiding in a patch of thick grass next to a tree. For whatever reason, I thought trying to hit the 2 hybrid with no ability to take a back swing was a good idea, and I open-faced it into a pine tree about 15 yards in front of me. Thankfully, I was able to get it back out to the fairway with my next shot, but I should have just hit a wedge to the middle of the fairway in the first place.

I also had back-to-back three putts on No. 11 and No. 12 that didn't feel good. Blemishes on an otherwise fantastic day with the Spider. 

Birdied No. 1 also after hitting my drive just into the left rough and sticking my 58 degree wedge to almost tap-in range.

hole1.jpg.af79f40d7e8555a4d7cbe2bd62b5c808.jpg

Lots of personal bests in Arccos for this one!

20200811.thumb.gif.47d1aed722faff287c37c4253c97b7cc.gif

WOWWW I have never seen a trap look that full before. Nice round right back on track it looks like!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 minutes ago, edingc said:

I'll lead with the scorecard as the front nine was the best I've ever recorded (1-over 37). Back nine obviously wasn't ideal, but given the challenge I'm very ecstatic about the score. Best round with the SpeedZone stuff in the bag so far!

2027649617_2020-08-1110_25_13-ArccosGolfDashboard_MyRounds.png.b5c275c8a3a63881a5a31aa10e7c1000.png

This is a fantastic weekly challenge! Irons only was good, if a little frustrating with the lack of lofted wedges, but only having longer clubs and wedges makes for quite the conundrum on several holes. Lots of thinking and lots of good opportunities to score for me since I drove the ball well today.

I may have been a bit lucky - we got a heavy rainstorm last night and the course was soaked. (Above is the bunker, err... casual water hazard, on No. 2). This meant no roll with the driver, but on the beneficial side of things, it meant I could run a lot of balls along the ground with my 17 degree hybrid and get them to stop. I hit and parred both par 3s on the front with choked-up and lightly hit 2 hybrid off the tee, and was able to hit a few greens with the hybrid later in the round also.

Hit a lot of quality drives and, wow, did I miss my wedges last week! Combined with some pretty good putting and this was probably the best round I've played all year here. I made three mistakes that cost me four shots:

• Pulled my drive left OB in the trees on No. 14. This hurt because I had just birdied No. 13 for the first time this year and, in my fit of confidence, opted to pull driver when I should have pulled hybrid.
  • After hitting my second drive into the left rough on No. 14, I pulled my gap wedge when I really needed about 165-170 yards for a usable layup. Complete loss of brain function. While I hit a really nice gap wedge, it only went 130 yards and left me no choice but to hit a hybrid from 160 over water. I gave it my best effort but ended up about 20 yards past the green in some nasty rough, where I had to chip back onto the green and two-putt to escape with a triple bogey.
  • On No. 16 I pushed my drive just right, but knew it should be OK from the tee box. I looked, and looked and looked for the ball but could not find it for minutes. Frustrated, I was just about to head back to the tee box when I saw the ball just hiding in a patch of thick grass next to a tree. For whatever reason, I thought trying to hit the 2 hybrid with no ability to take a back swing was a good idea, and I open-faced it into a pine tree about 15 yards in front of me. Thankfully, I was able to get it back out to the fairway with my next shot, but I should have just hit a wedge to the middle of the fairway in the first place.

I also had back-to-back three putts on No. 11 and No. 12 that didn't feel good. Blemishes on an otherwise fantastic day with the Spider. 

Birdied No. 1 also after hitting my drive just into the left rough and sticking my 58 degree wedge to almost tap-in range.

Nice round! How about that Slope/Rating?

I don't think I'm gonna get a chance to do this one this week, but if I were, I'd strongly consider moving up to the front tees and just treating the course like 18 par-3s. Drive at everything and test my short game for birdies. Anybody planning to do a similar strategy?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

9 minutes ago, edingc said:

Nice way to start the week!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

28 minutes ago, edingc said:

Your short game saved your  Best Donkey Braying GIFs | Gfycat   Best Billy Baroo GIFs | Gfycat

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I don't think I'm gonna get a chance to do this one this week, but if I were, I'd strongly consider moving up to the front tees and just treating the course like 18 par-3s. Drive at everything and test my short game for birdies. Anybody planning to do a similar strategy?

That's a consideration! But I'm not thinking that is the best for the course I'm playing.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

44 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Hmm, that’d be very interesting. I’m playing a round from my regular tees today, but next time I’m out this week, I may try that... 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I am strongly considering this method. Can’t decide what I want to do if I get out there...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

57 minutes ago, edingc said:

You would pick the week I challenge you to do something like this. Nice round with limited tools

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

WOWWW I have never seen a trap look that full before. Nice round right back on track it looks like!

The crazy thing is they just finished adding drain tile to this one. The whole green complex on No. 2 is a mess, really. Standing water in front and this bunker to the left.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

69.4/114 - back tees at my home course. Being around 6,100 yards they work for both irons-only and woods/wedges pretty well.

I considered moving up to the yellow box (furthest forward), but the rating drops significantly so I'd need to be on point with the driver to capitalize on it.

27 minutes ago, yungkory said:

You would pick the week I challenge you to do something like this. Nice round with limited tools

Thanks! Really came down to having a good-for-me driving day and an excellent putting round. First round in a while that I haven't had to contend with a greens mower and alternating mown/unmown greens, I think that helped a lot.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

This was exactly what I was going to do for my strategy!  With my length, I should be able to have a wedge into most par 5's and could even take 3 wood and/or driving iron off the tee on some par 4's for accuracy.   

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

37 minutes ago, edingc said:

I considered moving up to the yellow box (furthest forward), but the rating drops significantly so I'd need to be on point with the driver to capitalize on it.

Now that you've got a decent round under your belt, I think we'd all like to see you give it a go (if you play again this week). Can you break 65 from up there?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Now that you've got a decent round under your belt, I think we'd all like to see you give it a go (if you play again this week). Can you break 65 from up there?

Personally I have the ability to shoot 85 from any distance. I could probably shoot 85 at mini golf

2 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I am considering playing an executive course. I’m not sure how that computes with the scoring system, but I wouldn’t miss my irons too much!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

36 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Personally I have the ability to shoot 85 from any distance. I could probably shoot 85 at mini golf

EOG equal opportunity golfer. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Alright....I am officially challenging the man from Beantown. @B.Boston you're up. As we say here in Oklahoma, "You mess with the bull you get the horns." 

Bull.png

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

3 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

B.Boston’s #CobraConnect Challenge 4 Review – MIM Black Wedge Edition

107CE48C-1459-4E19-B9F5-CAC2E2A72207.jpeg.d490390ec6953c9838331bb5221b46eb.jpeg

As we head into week 4 of #COBRACONNECT Challenge 4 we get our Woods & Wedges back and it’s time for the irons to take a rest.  That also means it is time for another review and this week it will be the second W of the W&W Challenge – The Cobra KING MIM Black Wedges!

Right around the same time as the #CCC4 challengers were announced Cobra announced the new MIM Black wedges and some new grind options as well.  At first, I was bummed that the grind options were not available in the Chrome MIM but it appeared they were once we ordered so I asked for a 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, and 60.04 Wide Low Wedges.  Cobra ended up sending me those wedged but in the new MIM Black!  Now I have always played a different finish wedge (copper, gold, Slate Blue, etc) so the MIM black do suit my eye, but I was worried about durability.  Speaking of suiting my eye, let’s get into the ratings!

D9706493-9813-4F33-80C7-B575EBFD2056.jpeg.5823269acfb2e4bfe7664fb6ca092fcf.jpeg

Looks – 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Much like the Forged Tec Irons the MIM Black Wedges look sharp.  Fonts and logos match and blend well with the Forged Tec even with the Black finish they look like a cohesive set.  Down at address it would be difficult for me to tell you which was the MIM and which was my Vokey’s SM7, which is a huge compliment to Cobra.  These wedges look classic while also offering some effective grind options and technological innovation.  In the bag these wedges are drool worthy.  My only concern is with the finish.  I’m just not sure it will be durable enough to stay looking good long enough, which is why I originally wanted the Chrome finished MIM wedges.    

BEBCD2FD-3022-4C43-9258-E28EF4D9E0B2.jpeg.734191c271477eb266ac2151a9d0ad97.jpeg

Sound & Feel - 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Cobra KING MIM Black Wedges sound and feel incredible.  I have enjoyed them from basically the first hit on the course.  Coming from SM7s I’ll say these feel a touch softer, and a touch deeper in sound (to my ear anyway).  I’m not sure how much greater of a compliment I can give them outside of saying they’re easily as good as the SM7’s for me.  Full shots are solid, but I think I enjoy the touch shots even more with these wedges.  One thing I hate with a delicate chip, pitch, or flop around the green is a wedge that feels hot or springy.  It is one of the reasons I had switched to a three-specialty wedge setup this year as I did not really enjoy the AP2 GW around the green.  These wedges feel solid and soft and the ball comes off the face so nicely with spin and control.  With the three grinds I can pick a wedge based on the lie and feel confident that I can knock it close.

Basic Characteristics - 4/5 Stars

The Cobra KING MIM Black wedges were immediately comfortable in my hands.  I would normally have been fit to my usual -1/2 and 2* flat but we decided to go -3/4 here since I’m playing both the Forged Tec GW and a 52* which would have been the same length.  Not that it would have made much of a difference either way since the length change is only ¼ of an inch by that point anyway, but I am sold on the feel when these are in my hand, and it might just help me dig down a little less.  I was fit into the Nippon Modus Wedge 125 but had to swap to the KBS Wedge .610 as a second option.  Both shafts have performed well for me in fittings, but it’s a little awkward from a total weight perspective as my irons are 125g shafts and these are 120g.  The Forged Tec GW is the heaviest club in the bag for me; All three wedges are lighter.  It hasn’t been a problem on the course, but it is noticeable in my hands.

6D786C38-AEC0-4161-B2ED-B02E9C925B4E.jpeg.9ef24dc9ec3e3f8d950212ab22ffe373.jpeg

On Course Performance – 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

As of the beginning of this week I have used the 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge 18, 11, and 18 times respectively.  I immediately saw good results from the MIM Black wedges as they have been doing everything I’ve expected.  My Chipping and Sand handicap are down from the baseline period, and I’ve had many more easy tap-ins than I can remember. Previously I was using my LW more as it was high bounce and comfortable (SM7 D Grind) but this Low bounce (4*) but wide sole has been used a little more carefully.  I’ve still used it a lot, but the 52* is becoming a favorite club in my bag.  I enjoy using it on approach shots from 115 all the way down to 70 or 80 yards.  And the 56 has felt nice as well.  Because of this I rarely take a full swing with the 60 and it shows in my yardages.  But I also have put most of those tight to the cup!

Miscellaneous – 3/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐

Here’s the only negative thing I can say about the MIM Black wedges.  I could have put this in the Looks section, but I think it’s really a separate topic when it comes to the durability of the finish.  The photos here are of my 60* wedge after my first bunker shot with it in this video:

60C1B3F4-8D28-4969-A0E7-1977FC8B5C19.jpeg.885b46341c3b27a1f3647791b5de5511.jpeg

Hardly anything unusual about it and the finish was worn right off where I contacted the ball.  Surprisingly the sole has held up well, but I can see these faces getting beat up quickly.  Oddly enough when the club is at address the wear spot is less noticeable.  Here’s a quick video showing what I mean:

Either way, as much as I love the contract of dark finishes on wedges, I’d prefer something more durable.  Then again, maybe it serves as a gentle reminder that wedges should be replaced more often than other clubs.

Play It or Trade It - 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

These seem like they have staying power in my bag.  Like the irons, I may consider a shaft update to the Modus Wedge 125 since they’re affordable and will give me a little weight back, but these are really good wedges that feel awesome, especially around the green.  

KING MIM Black Wedge Overall Rating - 4/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

TL;DR? Want to know if the Cobra KING MIM Black Wedges are the real deal?

·       Classic wedge shape that rivals the aesthetics of the #1 wedge on tour? ✔️

·       Soft, solid sound and feel that allows stress free chipping and pitching to the hole?  ✔️

·       Usable grinds to allow different shot making options? ✔️

·       Staying in the Bag? ✔️

·       #cuetheduckboats

57AFB570-1DD3-4687-91C6-DD90FCA542A4.jpeg.80b56d0b0b85bacea5ba79f0ba2a6134.jpeg

Good stuff! As someone who plays black wedges as well, I know 100% how you feel about the marks on the face. The first one sucks, but I feel like as you play them more, it starts to look well-worn -- if that's a thing? The face/grooves start to lighten up but the outside stays deep black, kind of like the reverse effect of rusting? Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I kinda prefer it to the traditional rusty wedge look.

Good stuff! As someone who plays black wedges as well, I know 100% how you feel about the marks on the face. The first one sucks, but I feel like as you play them more, it starts to look well-worn -- if that's a thing? The face/grooves start to lighten up but the outside stays deep black, kind of like the reverse effect of rusting? Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I kinda prefer it to the traditional rusty wedge look.

Yeah I know what you mean. I don’t mind having some wear. It just means I need to keep the contact in the sweet spot and won’t have any ugly marks.

And if it keeps up that they sort of fade away at address like they are now it’s even less of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Yeah I know what you mean. I don’t mind having some wear. It just means I need to keep the contact in the sweet spot and won’t have any ugly marks. emoji1787.png

And if it keeps up that they sort of fade away at address like they are now it’s even less of an issue.

Yep! I won't litter the CCC thread with non-cobra club pictures but they'll eventually fade into each other, regardless of where you strike the ball. Stuff in the turf and sand will mark it up all over the place for you.

14 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

B.Boston’s #CobraConnect Challenge 4 Review – MIM Black Wedge Edition

107CE48C-1459-4E19-B9F5-CAC2E2A72207.jpeg.d490390ec6953c9838331bb5221b46eb.jpeg

As we head into week 4 of #COBRACONNECT Challenge 4 we get our Woods & Wedges back and it’s time for the irons to take a rest.  That also means it is time for another review and this week it will be the second W of the W&W Challenge – The Cobra KING MIM Black Wedges!

Right around the same time as the #CCC4 challengers were announced Cobra announced the new MIM Black wedges and some new grind options as well.  At first, I was bummed that the grind options were not available in the Chrome MIM but it appeared they were once we ordered so I asked for a 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, and 60.04 Wide Low Wedges.  Cobra ended up sending me those wedged but in the new MIM Black!  Now I have always played a different finish wedge (copper, gold, Slate Blue, etc) so the MIM black do suit my eye, but I was worried about durability.  Speaking of suiting my eye, let’s get into the ratings!

D9706493-9813-4F33-80C7-B575EBFD2056.jpeg.5823269acfb2e4bfe7664fb6ca092fcf.jpeg

Looks – 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Much like the Forged Tec Irons the MIM Black Wedges look sharp.  Fonts and logos match and blend well with the Forged Tec even with the Black finish they look like a cohesive set.  Down at address it would be difficult for me to tell you which was the MIM and which was my Vokey’s SM7, which is a huge compliment to Cobra.  These wedges look classic while also offering some effective grind options and technological innovation.  In the bag these wedges are drool worthy.  My only concern is with the finish.  I’m just not sure it will be durable enough to stay looking good long enough, which is why I originally wanted the Chrome finished MIM wedges.    

BEBCD2FD-3022-4C43-9258-E28EF4D9E0B2.jpeg.734191c271477eb266ac2151a9d0ad97.jpeg

Sound & Feel - 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Cobra KING MIM Black Wedges sound and feel incredible.  I have enjoyed them from basically the first hit on the course.  Coming from SM7s I’ll say these feel a touch softer, and a touch deeper in sound (to my ear anyway).  I’m not sure how much greater of a compliment I can give them outside of saying they’re easily as good as the SM7’s for me.  Full shots are solid, but I think I enjoy the touch shots even more with these wedges.  One thing I hate with a delicate chip, pitch, or flop around the green is a wedge that feels hot or springy.  It is one of the reasons I had switched to a three-specialty wedge setup this year as I did not really enjoy the AP2 GW around the green.  These wedges feel solid and soft and the ball comes off the face so nicely with spin and control.  With the three grinds I can pick a wedge based on the lie and feel confident that I can knock it close.

Basic Characteristics - 4/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Cobra KING MIM Black wedges were immediately comfortable in my hands.  I would normally have been fit to my usual -1/2 and 2* flat but we decided to go -3/4 here since I’m playing both the Forged Tec GW and a 52* which would have been the same length.  Not that it would have made much of a difference either way since the length change is only ¼ of an inch by that point anyway, but I am sold on the feel when these are in my hand, and it might just help me dig down a little less.  I was fit into the Nippon Modus Wedge 125 but had to swap to the KBS Wedge .610 as a second option.  Both shafts have performed well for me in fittings, but it’s a little awkward from a total weight perspective as my irons are 125g shafts and these are 120g.  The Forged Tec GW is the heaviest club in the bag for me; All three wedges are lighter.  It hasn’t been a problem on the course, but it is noticeable in my hands.

6D786C38-AEC0-4161-B2ED-B02E9C925B4E.jpeg.9ef24dc9ec3e3f8d950212ab22ffe373.jpeg

On Course Performance – 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

As of the beginning of this week I have used the 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge 18, 11, and 18 times respectively.  I immediately saw good results from the MIM Black wedges as they have been doing everything I’ve expected.  My Chipping and Sand handicap are down from the baseline period, and I’ve had many more easy tap-ins than I can remember. Previously I was using my LW more as it was high bounce and comfortable (SM7 D Grind) but this Low bounce (4*) but wide sole has been used a little more carefully.  I’ve still used it a lot, but the 52* is becoming a favorite club in my bag.  I enjoy using it on approach shots from 115 all the way down to 70 or 80 yards.  And the 56 has felt nice as well.  Because of this I rarely take a full swing with the 60 and it shows in my yardages.  But I also have put most of those tight to the cup!

Miscellaneous – 3/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐

Here’s the only negative thing I can say about the MIM Black wedges.  I could have put this in the Looks section, but I think it’s really a separate topic when it comes to the durability of the finish.  The photos here are of my 60* wedge after my first bunker shot with it in this video:

60C1B3F4-8D28-4969-A0E7-1977FC8B5C19.jpeg.885b46341c3b27a1f3647791b5de5511.jpeg

Hardly anything unusual about it and the finish was worn right off where I contacted the ball.  Surprisingly the sole has held up well, but I can see these faces getting beat up quickly.  Oddly enough when the club is at address the wear spot is less noticeable.  Here’s a quick video showing what I mean:

Either way, as much as I love the contract of dark finishes on wedges, I’d prefer something more durable.  Then again, maybe it serves as a gentle reminder that wedges should be replaced more often than other clubs.

Play It or Trade It - 5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

These seem like they have staying power in my bag.  Like the irons, I may consider a shaft update to the Modus Wedge 125 since they’re affordable and will give me a little weight back, but these are really good wedges that feel awesome, especially around the green.  

KING MIM Black Wedge Overall Rating - 4/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

TL;DR? Want to know if the Cobra KING MIM Black Wedges are the real deal?

·       Classic wedge shape that rivals the aesthetics of the #1 wedge on tour? ✔️

·       Soft, solid sound and feel that allows stress free chipping and pitching to the hole?  ✔️

·       Usable grinds to allow different shot making options? ✔️

·       Staying in the Bag? ✔️

·       #cuetheduckboats

57AFB570-1DD3-4687-91C6-DD90FCA542A4.jpeg.80b56d0b0b85bacea5ba79f0ba2a6134.jpeg

As we have come to expect another quality review, love the videos Bro!

Scarface al pacino movie GIF on GIFER - by Nuath

4 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I thought maybe I would go back to the tips just to stretch some of the second shots and the par 3s, I am fairly confident with the hybrid after last year's challenge....

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

1 minute ago, Nunfa0 said:

I thought maybe I would go back to the tips just to stretch some of the second shots and the par 3s, I am fairly confident with the hybrid after last year's challenge....

Live View after that statement:

tenor.gif.f4c3394ddd448b6086ac23ae655aa620.gif

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Called in some reinforcement for the final few weeks of the challenge:

IMG_11082020_171110_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.275ca61ed811a76d49541e3197a7725a.jpg

(Truthfully, these are warranty replacements. But Puma still makes a nice looking shoe!)

Love my Puma shoes, they are so comfortable and are holding up beautifully 😍😊

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Called in some reinforcement for the final few weeks of the challenge:
IMG_11082020_171110_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.275ca61ed811a76d49541e3197a7725a.jpg
(Truthfully, these are warranty replacements. But Puma still makes a nice looking shoe!)

Love the grey and that brown leather accent.

Got some morning rounds booked for Thursday and Friday this week.

I’ll have to look at the par 3s and figure out which tee box to play. One course may actually work better from my normal tees as one of the par three holes is a hybrid away and would be in No mans land if I move up.

Any more challengers?! We’ve had some good turnout so far this week.

Who else wants to hit bombs?!

My hopeful round for Wednesday got shot down, with absenteeism and attrition at work they're tightening down on time off for those of us that show up everyday. Our allowable time off is 10% of our line and someone else had time off tomorrow plus someone is out for medical reasons and should be back Thursday. So, what's a guy to do? I put in for Thursday. No one is on the calendar, hopefully I'll get it. 

I'm really wanting to do this challenge, it reminds me of my early days playing this game. I couldn't hit an iron to save my life and would often hit woods with 1/2 and 3/4 swings. I like the strategy involved and think this would turn out better than an irons only round. There's a chance of rain later in the day, so I hope, if I get off, to play early and enjoy the cooler weather and the chance to sweep/chunk some dew.

I’ll have to look at the par 3s and figure out which tee box to play. One course may actually work better from my normal tees as one of the par three holes is a hybrid away and would be in No mans land if I move up.

Do they still count as Bombs if you only hit it 235 yards?

I’ll be playing Thursday afternoon and/or Sunday afternoon depending on weather. I need to map out my tees for a few holes

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I'll be playing my normal tees, about 6,600 yards par 71. Other options are 6,800 or way back to 5,2000. Interestingly I score better from the back tees. 

Par 3's will require some interesting shot manufacturing, 2 play about 145, one at 180 and one at 200.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Do they still count as Bombs if you only hit it 235 yards?

I’ll be playing Thursday afternoon and/or Sunday afternoon depending on weather. I need to map out my tees for a few holes

If that’s a big hit for you. Then yes that counts as a bomb!