GolfSpy STUDque

FINAL Standings:

Final.png

NOTE: If you want to catch up quickly, check the first post in this thread for key links and week-by-week summaries.

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

Our Sponsors

52 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

I was able to get out and splash around 18 holes at Bay Forest my home club. Played a very enjoyable round with a fellow handicap association member at the club named Mike. This was the first time we had met and played together. I think we both fed off of each others positive energy and we both had very good rounds considering the soggy conditions. The sun was out for a gorgeous hot day in Houston!

I shot the same score as my Thursday round and had the same number of FIR and GIR but fewer Burgers so I will submit Thursdays round for the competition. I hit my driver very straight today but I was popping them up frequently for very little yardage, but got better as the round went on.  So many good chances for birdies today but I just could not get one to drop. But I'm pleased with the state of my game.

Here is today's round summary: 

image.png.09483acc9db526308a31c068d5cc0237.png

Great shooting David!

• Like 3

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

21 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

In these soggy conditions of late I have seen a few of my iron shots come up a little short of expectation but I think it is the archer hitting the shot slightly fat allowing some water to splash up between face and ball. I'm in love with the SpeedZoneONE irons. The only issue I have had is with the ONE length hybrid...I have hit a few thin shots with it but there again it is me not staying down throughout the swing.

Decent bounce? The bottom of those clubs look like they do a decent job at being able to prevent that dig even in softer conditions 

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Pretty freaking amazing I think.  To be able to change from conventional club lengths to a same length bag and not experience much more growing pains is really amazing.  Whether you are an outlier or that is the norm is the question 🤔.

For the CCC challenges so far David is definitely an outlier. The 2018 and 19 one length players struggled to come to terms with them during the competition period.

• Like 4

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

Just now, Lacassem said:

Decent bounce? The bottom of those clubs look like they do a decent job at being able to prevent that dig even in softer conditions 

With the shape of the bottom of the irons they actually have quite a small contact area. You still get the chunky shots but generally they cut through the turf like a hot knife through butter 😁

• Like 4

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

2 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

For the CCC challenges so far David is definitely an outlier. The 2018 and 19 one length players struggled to come to terms with them during the competition period.

Did not know that.  @daviddvmplease know I mean nothing negative in my comment and "outlier".  I just think, and perhaps incorrectly, that I would have big challenges making the adjustment.  

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Pretty freaking amazing I think.  To be able to change from conventional club lengths to a same length bag and not experience much more growing pains is really amazing.  Whether you are an outlier or that is the norm is the question 🤔.

I don't know about any stats on how much improvement players using one length irons have or how long it takes them to get used to them. Looks like Wedgie is doing very well and I know my results have been great. The SpeedZoneONE clubs are the easiest irons I have ever played.

• Like 6

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook #TeamCobraONE

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 10.5* Driver 14gm wieght in back, 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway   All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 21.5* Hybrid Project X CATALYST 80 6.0

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

:Arccos:                                                                                                                                                                      697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

46 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

It looks like the weather has played havoc on the CC4 horses getting out on the track.  Hopefully some more stable, summer weather is in store for next week's challenge.  But, for those who played, how did the new arrows perform in the wet and soft or dry and hard conditions?

These Forged Tec irons seems to be a great fit for me with the bounce and sole width and shape. 
I am noticing that I am taking less of a divot which is great as I can get steep. 
I also think the increased weight has me more aware of the head in the swing and I’m more consistent with the bottom of my swing. 
Or it’s all just the honeymoon phase... I guess we’ll see for sure in the next few weeks!

• Like 8

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

#cuetheduckboats

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Did not know that.  @daviddvmplease know I mean nothing negative in my comment and "outlier".  I just think, and perhaps incorrectly, that I would have big challenges making the adjustment.  

I definitely never took it as negative, I am just as amazed at how well he is doing. He is one of the few I have heard of that is taking to them like a fish to water or a teen to TikToc 😁😎

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

With the shape of the bottom of the irons they actually have quite a small contact area. You still get the chunky shots but generally they cut through the turf like a hot knife through butter 😁

The bottom is different compared to my 790s I should say* 

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

31 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

I definitely never took it as negative, I am just as amazed at how well he is doing. He is one of the few I have heard of that is taking to them like a fish to water or a teen to TikToc 😁😎

Hit the woah: We're partnering with GIPHY to bring GIFs to TikTok ...Ride'm Cowboy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook #TeamCobraONE

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 10.5* Driver 14gm wieght in back, 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway   All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 21.5* Hybrid Project X CATALYST 80 6.0

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

:Arccos:                                                                                                                                                                      697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

31 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

The bottom is different compared to my 790s I should say* 

Very true but the area that, for lack of a better term, sticks out of the bottom would be a similar size to your irons. Oh and this is only the SpeedZones I'm talking about...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Was able to get out for 18 this morning at my wife family cottage in Dexter, ME. I felt like @edingc breezing around the course in 2:24 and will be using this round for the FIR/GIR Burger challenge. It’s an improvement on my first 18 this week for sure. 

I’m including a pic of my scorecard because some of the Arccos holes are incorrect and I sent them an email to update. 

+4 74 on a short course, but more Importantly 11 FIR and 10 GIR with 7 Burgers for a score of 35. 

0CE72AA3-6B0C-4587-992D-998B81A2C9E3.jpeg.a56f8704efe05ab97c59e4746175a43f.jpeg
3070B49F-D049-4BEC-BD58-D8A71B23C271.jpeg.73ab89abddca8c039b8bf72730bfe6cb.jpeg

6F1618E5-B34C-43C3-A9B9-DD8DB2838679.jpeg.7ae83a9e765aac01118090b64929d68b.jpeg

3EBED728-C53A-4958-80A5-53BA87FEA125.jpeg.d5f0b1118a1ca1823e7238ac083ba771.jpeg
16D44C8D-1FD5-4681-B181-4A9E365498AF.jpeg.56bbde65c7a67bdbdb2cfcb1fc8df413.jpeg

62A18B95-851D-479E-BE4C-D362DAD149EA.jpeg.edfa590e7aaeeceb5a03cf65a1237e6e.jpeg

Sorry in advance for cryptic messages this week. I’ll be running to Dunkin’ up here to use their WiFi as cell service lakeside is pretty poor. The view however is quite nice!

9869E9AA-D129-4599-AB34-BB2B7E49FC24.jpeg.9306edd325b2ae7817c2c7257ba04a5e.jpeg

There are short courses, and there are mini golf courses...this is the shortest course I’ve ever seen! 

Congrats on the good round. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

5 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Yep, I know I did☹️...

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Great writeup @edingc! The comments from folks about club appearance at address, especially when it's something like these irons (or recent W/S irons as well) always kinds of confuses me. Maybe because I solely focus on the ball at address and don't even register the clubhead. 

I love the videos with sounds, you're doing a killer job with those. Keep it up!

I think your concerns over the shafts are completely valid. I do wonder how much more of a comfort level you'd have, and short adjustment period, if you had the shafts you were fit into.

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

9 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Great writeup @edingc! The comments from folks about club appearance at address, especially when it's something like these irons (or recent W/S irons as well) always kinds of confuses me. Maybe because I solely focus on the ball at address and don't even register the clubhead. 

Maybe I'm an outlier, too, since I played the Wilson C300s and am definitely used to something on topline. I think the carbon fiber is actually less of a visual issue than the power holes, and even those didn't bother me.

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.0 (Last Updated Sept. 13, 2020)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

35 minutes ago, edingc said:

#MGSCobra2020 #CobraConnect SpeedZone Iron Review - edingc, a.k.a. #TeamCalvesLikePhil

iron_leader.jpg.614342f0384d9ebffd7a1ed03701c07c.jpg

An all-new carbon fiber topline on the long and mid-irons is the big story headlining Cobra’s 2020 SpeedZone irons. The weight savings from use of carbon fiber allowed Cobra’s engineers to push the head’s center of gravity lower than in previous models.

Coba hooked me up with the conventional length SpeedZone irons (1/2 inch short, 2 degrees flat), 4 iron to gap wedge, with KBS C-Taper Lite x-stiff shafts and Lamkin Sonar grips. Previously, I played Maltby PTM Forged irons, which although are “game improvement” irons, are a forged head and offer a more traditional appearance than the SpeedZones.

Looks - 3.5/5 Stars
3halfstars.png.b1404826b10a24df81113c4561f5e947.png

iron_quad.jpg.d0fc21818e79a521774c60a9b748bf43.jpg

I’ve read several comments on the Internet that say the worst thing about the SpeedZone design is the carbon fiber topline. I wholeheartedly disagree! Sure, at first glance it sticks out because it’s different from any other iron. After hitting a few shots, however, it blends in and isn’t distracting at all. From the 8 iron down to the gap wedge, Cobra removed the carbon fiber, leaving a pleasing and not-too-thick topline for the precision scoring clubs. Offset is minimal throughout the set and not off putting in the least bit.

7iron_back.jpg.d52f6491fb699b395a13ffa6937c3678.jpg

My biggest complaint concerning the looks of the SpeedZone irons stems from how much the backside is visible at address, especially in the 6 and 7 irons (the 7 iron is pictured above). Ideally, I would prefer those mid-irons to look less like a driving iron and blend more toward the scoring clubs. 

range2.jpg.c570327b0813328aed434ef22ec6fbf7.jpg

These are big clubheads; nobody is mistaking these for a player’s iron. The perimeter weighting, sole design, cavity badging and topline are uniquely game improvement. That doesn’t mean they are bad looking clubs, and I applaud Cobra for pushing the envelope. But, you’ll need to look elsewhere if you’re wanting a traditional look in your irons.

Sound & Feel - 3.5/5 Stars

Well-struck balls offer a very solid sound, both with the carbon fiber long irons and the more traditional short irons. It’s a satisfying thwack, I have no issues with it at all.

Coming from a fully forged head, the feel of the SpeedZones is obviously a bit lacking in comparison, but likely similar to other irons in its category. It’s fairly easy to determine where the ball is struck horizontally, but I’ve struggled to know where the strike is vertically on the face. With exception to extremely thin shots, a few grooves high or low all seem to feel the same to me.

I was originally fit into stiff flex KBS C-Taper Lites and not x-stiff. Stiff flex was unavailable due to COVID-19 supply chain issues, so we bumped up to x-stiff. They are definitely different animals than the stiff flex, and right now I’m still struggling a bit to adjust to the feel of them. The x-stiffs don’t have the same swift kick at impact I experience with the stiff flex CTLs, and I think that is partially influencing my feel of the head.

Basic Characteristics - 4/5 Stars
4stars.png.6bb5f0a26306eee0c4ef91e787bcdd56.png

Unlike my woods, I do get creative with iron shots. My desired stock iron shot is a push draw, with my miss being a straight draw or overcooked pull draw/hook. The video above is a slight pull draw. However, I often need to hit a low stinger under tree branches, and I also like to club up some and play softer finesse shots into greens. It’s not often that I’m taking a full cut with an iron.

I am impressed at my ability to do all of those things with the SpeedZone irons. By default they want to launch high and stay straight, but by manipulating ball position and/or gripping down, I’ve been able to hit low or more feathery shots when required.

(As a quick aside, the reduced taper shape on the Lamkin Sonars has been very helpful with gripping down on the club.)

sole.jpg.bfddcdb460ee2f38da3eae65ab54819d.jpg

The sole design is unique with the smaller “effective” sole. We have had hot and dry conditions since I received the clubs, but with the way the sole glides through heavy rough I doubt I’d have much trouble in wet conditions. Turf interaction is great, nice small divots without digging much.

flightscope6.png.9a827468ad14537e6dd954db093caf88.png

Obviously, the SpeedZones are loft-jacked (see: my six iron ball speeds above - with a range ball!). They generate a lot of distance as a result, but they provide adequate height and spin to stop the ball, especially in the shorter irons. I would definitely recommend pairing a more “spinny” ball with them to optimize spin as much as possible (I’ve alternated between Snell MTB-X and Srixon Z-Star XV during the challenge).

On Course Performance - 4/5 Stars

The SpeedZone irons are outstanding at what they are designed to do - get the ball airborne with serious distance, while being extremely forgiving of mishits.

On more than one occasion, I’ve hit a completely disgusting shot only to watch the ball end up near my target line and distance. I’ve also had the pleasure or puring a few irons and watching how the ball rockets off of the face.

Don’t expect to suck a ball back on the green with these clubs. But, if I strike the ball well (not a groove low), I can expect the ball to fly high enough to land softly and stop within a few feet.

I haven’t experienced any major distance inconsistencies, but I have hit a few low-spin fliers from the rough that kept on going and going and going and wouldn’t stop. I don’t think that’s exclusive to these irons, but perhaps is made worse by the naturally lower spin rates of the design.

I often hit mid and long irons from the tee at my home course and the forgiveness has helped me be in better positions than with my Maltby PTMs. The amount of distance I retain on mishits is impressive. Extra distance off the tee combined with longer carry distances from my scoring clubs means I hit shorter clubs into greens, which puts less pressure on my swing to be perfect.

My scoring hasn’t changed dramatically for better or for worse since putting the SpeedZones into play. However, I am finding my iron striking to be more inconsistent with the SpeedZones in the bag. My hook miss has gotten worse, and I’m struggling with a tendency to pull across the ball from the top a lot more often. This is resulting in a lot of strikes toward the toe of the club. I’m not a fantastic golfer, but as my Arccos baseline showed, iron striking was one of the better parts of my game. I’m not sure if these exaggerations of my existing misses are to be blamed on the irons or something in my swing, but I can say sometimes I feel like I’m working too hard trying to get the x-stiff C-Taper Lites to do what I want. If I take a nice relaxed cut at the ball, I feel like I’m getting desirable results more often.

All in all, the SpeedZone irons are producing predictable ball flight and predictable distances when I’m swinging well, and that’s all I can ask of them to do.

Miscellaneous - 4/5 Stars

These irons are not ones I’d want to buy stock off the rack. I understand distance is king of sales, but the stock specifications for these irons are very upright and very long.

I doubt a low-spin, two-piece surlyn/ionomer ball would stop well with these either, and I’m certain that is the type of ball most played by recreational golfers.

Play It or Trade It - 3/5 Stars
3stars.png.f5714a9e937c6e73099c12ff3bdfb84c.png

I’m conflicted. On one hand, I love the forgiveness of the SpeedZones, specifically in the long irons. The clubs are rockets! On the other hand, I’ve tested forgiveness so much because I’ve struggled to find the center of the club face. That wasn’t the case during my baseline with my Maltby PTMs.

I’ve thought of multiple scenarios for how these irons might stay in the bag:

• Do I try soft-stepping the shafts once or twice to see if that returns some of the feel I enjoy with the stiff C-Taper Lites? I’ve considered making the 19 degree 4 iron a true driving iron by putting a graphite shaft into it, so this could be done with just a little basement club work.
  • Do I reshaft a test club with a stiff C-Taper Lite, and, if I like the results, bite the bullet and do the rest of the set?
  • Should I play a split set with my Maltby PTMs? The lofts and lengths are setup in a way I could split my set at the 7 iron, and play SpeedZone long irons (5, 6, 7) and Maltby PTM mid-to-short irons (7, 8, 9, PW, GW) without messing up gapping to the wedges.
  • Do I just practice more and try to sort out my issues with the x-stiff C-Taper Lites? When struck well they do feel effortless, but I think the difference in flex or weight may be partially responsible for the issues I’m having with my iron swing.

#CobraConnect will take me to the end of my primary golf season, but over the fall and winter I will have some testing to do to answer these questions.

Overall Score - 3.5/5 Stars

oncourse.jpg.0dfec6ec39211f594325ec48deebde88.jpg

Going strictly by handicap, I’m probably on the lower end of the target range for the SpeedZone irons, but I wouldn’t say only high handicappers should play these irons.

The long irons are excellent - easy to launch, forgiving and crazy fast in regards to ball speeds. Short irons have a good look and generally stop the ball when needed. For the price ($799 USD off the rack), I’m not sure there is a better value out there among the major OEMs in the game improvement/super game improvement category.

I’m just struggling a bit adjusting to them.

Since we still have a lot of time remaining in the challenge, I’m hoping with more practice I can get a good understanding of what I need to do to play my best golf with these irons.

Excellent write up @edingc, it will be interesting to see if you can get these sorted out. I had the advantage of coming from GI clubs before getting the F9s so the transition was seamless for me. I do wonder if you had the Stiff rather than X shafts if that would make a difference...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, edingc said:

#MGSCobra2020 #CobraConnect SpeedZone Iron Review - edingc, a.k.a. #TeamCalvesLikePhil

An all-new carbon fiber topline on the long and mid-irons is the big story headlining Cobra’s 2020 SpeedZone irons. The weight savings from use of carbon fiber allowed Cobra’s engineers to push the head’s center of gravity lower than in previous models.

Coba hooked me up with the conventional length SpeedZone irons (1/2 inch short, 2 degrees flat), 4 iron to gap wedge, with KBS C-Taper Lite x-stiff shafts and Lamkin Sonar grips. Previously, I played Maltby PTM Forged irons, which although are “game improvement” irons, are a forged head and offer a more traditional appearance than the SpeedZones.

Looks - 3.5/5 Stars

I’ve read several comments on the Internet that say the worst thing about the SpeedZone design is the carbon fiber topline. I wholeheartedly disagree! Sure, at first glance it sticks out because it’s different from any other iron. After hitting a few shots, however, it blends in and isn’t distracting at all. From the 8 iron down to the gap wedge, Cobra removed the carbon fiber, leaving a pleasing and not-too-thick topline for the precision scoring clubs. Offset is minimal throughout the set and not off putting in the least bit.

My biggest complaint concerning the looks of the SpeedZone irons stems from how much the backside is visible at address, especially in the 6 and 7 irons (the 7 iron is pictured above). Ideally, I would prefer those mid-irons to look less like a driving iron and blend more toward the scoring clubs. 

These are big clubheads; nobody is mistaking these for a player’s iron. The perimeter weighting, sole design, cavity badging and topline are uniquely game improvement. That doesn’t mean they are bad looking clubs, and I applaud Cobra for pushing the envelope. But, you’ll need to look elsewhere if you’re wanting a traditional look in your irons.

Well-struck balls offer a very solid sound, both with the carbon fiber long irons and the more traditional short irons. It’s a satisfying thwack, I have no issues with it at all.

Coming from a fully forged head, the feel of the SpeedZones is obviously a bit lacking in comparison, but likely similar to other irons in its category. It’s fairly easy to determine where the ball is struck horizontally, but I’ve struggled to know where the strike is vertically on the face. With exception to extremely thin shots, a few grooves high or low all seem to feel the same to me.

I was originally fit into stiff flex KBS C-Taper Lites and not x-stiff. Stiff flex was unavailable due to COVID-19 supply chain issues, so we bumped up to x-stiff. They are definitely different animals than the stiff flex, and right now I’m still struggling a bit to adjust to the feel of them. The x-stiffs don’t have the same swift kick at impact I experience with the stiff flex CTLs, and I think that is partially influencing my feel of the head.

Unlike my woods, I do get creative with iron shots. My desired stock iron shot is a push draw, with my miss being a straight draw or overcooked pull draw/hook. The video above is a slight pull draw. However, I often need to hit a low stinger under tree branches, and I also like to club up some and play softer finesse shots into greens. It’s not often that I’m taking a full cut with an iron.

I am impressed at my ability to do all of those things with the SpeedZone irons. By default they want to launch high and stay straight, but by manipulating ball position and/or gripping down, I’ve been able to hit low or more feathery shots when required.

(As a quick aside, the reduced taper shape on the Lamkin Sonars has been very helpful with gripping down on the club.)

The sole design is unique with the smaller “effective” sole. We have had hot and dry conditions since I received the clubs, but with the way the sole glides through heavy rough I doubt I’d have much trouble in wet conditions. Turf interaction is great, nice small divots without digging much.

Obviously, the SpeedZones are loft-jacked (see: my six iron ball speeds above - with a range ball!). They generate a lot of distance as a result, but they provide adequate height and spin to stop the ball, especially in the shorter irons. I would definitely recommend pairing a more “spinny” ball with them to optimize spin as much as possible (I’ve alternated between Snell MTB-X and Srixon Z-Star XV during the challenge).

The SpeedZone irons are outstanding at what they are designed to do - get the ball airborne with serious distance, while being extremely forgiving of mishits.

On more than one occasion, I’ve hit a completely disgusting shot only to watch the ball end up near my target line and distance. I’ve also had the pleasure or puring a few irons and watching how the ball rockets off of the face.

Don’t expect to suck a ball back on the green with these clubs. But, if I strike the ball well (not a groove low), I can expect the ball to fly high enough to land softly and stop within a few feet.

I haven’t experienced any major distance inconsistencies, but I have hit a few low-spin fliers from the rough that kept on going and going and going and wouldn’t stop. I don’t think that’s exclusive to these irons, but perhaps is made worse by the naturally lower spin rates of the design.

I often hit mid and long irons from the tee at my home course and the forgiveness has helped me be in better positions than with my Maltby PTMs. The amount of distance I retain on mishits is impressive. Extra distance off the tee combined with longer carry distances from my scoring clubs means I hit shorter clubs into greens, which puts less pressure on my swing to be perfect.

My scoring hasn’t changed dramatically for better or for worse since putting the SpeedZones into play. However, I am finding my iron striking to be more inconsistent with the SpeedZones in the bag. My hook miss has gotten worse, and I’m struggling with a tendency to pull across the ball from the top a lot more often. This is resulting in a lot of strikes toward the toe of the club. I’m not a fantastic golfer, but as my Arccos baseline showed, iron striking was one of the better parts of my game. I’m not sure if these exaggerations of my existing misses are to be blamed on the irons or something in my swing, but I can say sometimes I feel like I’m working too hard trying to get the x-stiff C-Taper Lites to do what I want. If I take a nice relaxed cut at the ball, I feel like I’m getting desirable results more often.

All in all, the SpeedZone irons are producing predictable ball flight and predictable distances when I’m swinging well, and that’s all I can ask of them to do.

These irons are not ones I’d want to buy stock off the rack. I understand distance is king of sales, but the stock specifications for these irons are very upright and very long.

I doubt a low-spin, two-piece surlyn/ionomer ball would stop well with these either, and I’m certain that is the type of ball most played by recreational golfers.

I’m conflicted. On one hand, I love the forgiveness of the SpeedZones, specifically in the long irons. The clubs are rockets! On the other hand, I’ve tested forgiveness so much because I’ve struggled to find the center of the club face. That wasn’t the case during my baseline with my Maltby PTMs.

• Do I try soft-stepping the shafts once or twice to see if that returns some of the feel I enjoy with the stiff C-Taper Lites? I’ve considered making the 19 degree 4 iron a true driving iron by putting a graphite shaft into it, so this could be done with just a little basement club work.
  • Do I reshaft a test club with a stiff C-Taper Lite, and, if I like the results, bite the bullet and do the rest of the set?
  • Should I play a split set with my Maltby PTMs? The lofts and lengths are setup in a way I could split my set at the 7 iron, and play SpeedZone long irons (5, 6, 7) and Maltby PTM mid-to-short irons (7, 8, 9, PW, GW) without messing up gapping to the wedges.
  • Do I just practice more and try to sort out my issues with the x-stiff C-Taper Lites? When struck well they do feel effortless, but I think the difference in flex or weight may be partially responsible for the issues I’m having with my iron swing.

#CobraConnect will take me to the end of my primary golf season, but over the fall and winter I will have some testing to do to answer these questions.

Going strictly by handicap, I’m probably on the lower end of the target range for the SpeedZone irons, but I wouldn’t say only high handicappers should play these irons.

The long irons are excellent - easy to launch, forgiving and crazy fast in regards to ball speeds. Short irons have a good look and generally stop the ball when needed. For the price ($799 USD off the rack), I’m not sure there is a better value out there among the major OEMs in the game improvement/super game improvement category.

Since we still have a lot of time remaining in the challenge, I’m hoping with more practice I can get a good understanding of what I need to do to play my best golf with these irons.

Nicely done Cody. I’m also curious if CTLs or the Modus 120 would make me more comfortable. But it’s hard to argue with the results I’m seeing. 

more to come in my review later this week!

#teaser

#cuetheduckboats

• Like 4

#cuetheduckboats

6 minutes ago, edingc said:

Maybe I'm an outlier, too, since I played the Wilson C300s and am definitely used to something on topline. I think the carbon fiber is actually less of a visual issue than the power holes, and even those didn't bother me.

Same - I played both C300s and D300s and I never noticed the topline after my first 2-3 shots after getting the clubs. 

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

47 minutes ago, edingc said:

Cobra hooked me up with the conventional length SpeedZone irons (1/2 inch short, 2 degrees flat), 4 iron to gap wedge, with KBS C-Taper Lite x-stiff shafts and Lamkin Sonar grips. Previously, I played Maltby PTM Forged irons, which although are “game improvement” irons, are a forged head and offer a more traditional appearance than the SpeedZones.

Looks - 3.5/5 Stars

Again another awsome too to bottom write up Cody. Lots of Questions to be answered there. I am glad you brought up price point though because that is a huge factor “not sure there is better value” is a great line.

Having second guesses on not getting fitted for the shaft is big especially in golf. You’re playing well thiufg and that’s good, I hope you can answer all these questions you have for yourself.

• Like 5

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt