Jump to content

#COBRACONNECT Challenge 4


Message added by STUDque

FINAL Standings:

Final.png

 

NOTE: If you want to catch up quickly, check the first post in this thread for key links and week-by-week summaries.

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I would wonder if it is possible to get a hybrid set, 4 to 7i in the one lengths, the 8, 9 and pw on traditional lengths. 

It can be done, but you’d have to order each club individually via a custom order. It can all be placed on one order, you’d just have to go through each iron and place your specs. But you can order the 8i thru GW and stagger the shaft lengths incrementally a half-inch shorter each iron down. 

  • Like 2

The 🙌🏼 ... GO CANES!

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS2 (5i-6i); TS1 (7i-GW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mikeanthony said:

It can be done, but you’d have to order each club individually via a custom order. It can all be placed on one order, you’d just have to go through each iron and place your specs. But you can order the 8i thru GW and stagger the shaft lengths incrementally a half-inch shorter each iron down. 

I just realized to make it easier, you could just request the OL irons from 4h to 7i and then order they’re standard lengths in a separate order. 

  • Like 2

The 🙌🏼 ... GO CANES!

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19*

Irons: post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS2 (5i-6i); TS1 (7i-GW)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Putter: :ping-small:  Heppler Anser 2

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & :Snell: MTB-Black

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

I just realized to make it easier, you could just request the OL irons from 4h to 7i and then order they’re standard lengths in a separate order. 

I figure that would be the easiest, I want to take a really good look at it and if at all possible, get fitted, to ensure optimal set up. 

  • Like 1

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

How long would you say it took you to get used to the OL? 

First time I played with them was at last months club tournament and I shot 87 for a net 72 and tied for 4th place. Hitting them is EASY. It feels more natural to me than having to adjust my setup for each and every club. They are not going to cure swing flaws but they will allow you to be more consistent...it just makes sense!

I truly believe if more golfers would try one length clubs (and forget about any preconceived notions about being different from everybody else) more golfers would play better golf.

I plan on buying my daughter a set.

  • Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook #TeamCobraONE

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 10.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, Motore X F3 6-S set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway   Both with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 21.5* Hybrid Project X CATALYST 80 6.0

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

 :titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

  :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                                      697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

First time I played with them was at last months club tournament and I shot 87 for a net 72 and tied for 4th place. Hitting them is EASY. It feels more natural to me than having to adjust my setup for each and every club. They are not going to cure swing flaws but they will allow you to be more consistent...it just makes sense!

I truly believe if more golfers would try one length clubs (and forget about any preconceived notions about being different from everybody else) more golfers would play better golf.

I plan on buying my daughter a set.

That is awesome. 

My swing has gotten better this year, my main struggle is with topped clubs, a direct correlation of the ball placement on my stance, I feel that the more centered on my stance 5, 6 and 7 irons, the better is my strike. 

 

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I would wonder if it is possible to get a hybrid set, 4 to 7i in the one lengths, the 8, 9 and pw on traditional lengths. 

You can order them piecewise.  $125ea, custom

  • Like 1

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😥

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:wilson_staff_small: C300 cast irons 5-PW. Fujikura graphite R 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

That is awesome. 

My swing has gotten better this year, my main struggle is with topped clubs, a direct correlation of the ball placement on my stance, I feel that the more centered on my stance 5, 6 and 7 irons, the better is my strike. 

 

I play my ball in the same position for every club except for driver. The less variability you have the better for consistency.

  • Like 2

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, edingc said:

I had the day off of work so what better way to pass the time than play some golf. I had a tee time early this morning at Diamond Springs Golf Course in Hamilton, Michigan. I grew up not far from this course and remember when it first opened. It's a Mike DeVries design, which if you're a fan of Michigan golf, you'll know him as the the architect behind Pilgrim's Run in Pierson, The Mines in Grand Rapids and Greywalls in Marquette. I think the last time I played here was in 2014, and I don't honestly know or remember how I did. 

IMG_25082020_185518_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.b6293cf43afc78c95f4f2fcabf753897.jpg

I had spent some of last night mapping out the course on Google Maps with intended club use and tee shot lines, from the white tees which play somewhere around 6,000 yards but rates out harder than my usual course. Literally as I was driving to the first tee I thought, "Why not really challenge myself?" and decided to play from the blues (the tips at this course), which play to 6,800 yards and a 73.0/137 rating. This is by far the longest and most challenging course I've ever played, and I played pretty well for most of the front and the first third of the back, but man, did the rest of the back just absolutely beat me up.

I didn't have an awful day driving the ball, but it was pretty wet and the entire course is a single cut of Kentucky bluegrass that really didn't afford much roll. So it put a lot of pressure on my tee game to have both distance and accuracy, and even then I had a lot of mid-to-long irons into greens.

Of all days, the battery in my laser died and I was not able to use it the entire round. Thankfully, Arccos was very helpful, but the laser's accuracy to flags cannot be matched by guessing on the satellite images. 

IMG_25082020_185536_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.0a3458a6763f781d082bd61be3bd0092.jpg

Holes 9, 14, 15, 16, and 17 border or cross a ravine that is all hazard area totally in play from the tee and I unfortunately found that area four times by a handful of yards in total. I ended up shooting a 92 (44/48), but literally 5 yards left or right on most of the holes would have been a very good drive. Between a bad three-putt (I lost focus on a tap in from about 12 inches) and just one or two of those holes, I wasn't far from a round in the mid-80s. On my home course that lacks all of the hazards I would have easily had a really, really good round.

I'm obviously bummed that I didn't break 90 (which was my goal going into the round), but looking back on the round I'm really happy with how I played. 

I absolutely pounded the driver today but just got a little wild. I'm stoked that the SpeedZone Xtreme is working so well for me, as my miss now is a pull that is 100 percent my swing and not the club. I also am starting to enjoy the SpeedZone irons as well. 

IMG_25082020_185554_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.4592c32f7e088dfe95b0b2c62d0e01d2.jpg

All in all, well worth my time and $45 for 18 and cart.

After my round I headed out to Holland and The Links at Rolling Meadows, a nine-hole par three course that plays very, ahem, favorably from the front tees.

image.png.cb9fc206fc76f9078f9d693151621cd0.png

By the time I got to the course, a steady rain had started. While this meant I had the course to myself, it also meant walking in the rain and I was thoroughly soaked by the time I was done.

The course is a very cool little "links" style course with a lot of wetlands and actual challenging greens. $25 got me a Coke Zero and 27 shots at getting closest to the pin. I love that I was able to play 27 holes in just over two hours.

IMG_25082020_185635_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.7dc16a96ed0413fb4cfb8d439d87fe78.jpg

You would think over 27 chances from 120 yards and in  I would have jarred one, but alas. I played OK (+5 over the 27, notching two birdies on the first 9 but none on the last two go arounds), but I was really starting to get tired by the time I started my third nine. My best effort for the challenge so far is 7'1" (85 inches) from 70 yards on No. 5 during my second time through:

IMG_25082020_185624_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.6a5d655054d3884257b4f3f015d69935.jpgIMG_25082020_185612_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.3d03e3dfa191bdd9fcacf8417080c2ee.jpg

image.png.8d9f7cca9171ec6ac26057feba1d54d6.png

Very fun day, and I still hopefully have at least another 18 holes to try to best this effort.

Lots of golf love it! Diamond hills looks amazing. And b the looks of it you had it all to yourself! Definitely  looks like target golf with how tight it looks

  • Like 3

Check out my reviews:

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Lots of golf love it! Diamond hills looks amazing. And b the looks of it you had it all to yourself! Definitely  looks like target golf with how tight it looks

Great pace at both courses. Played 18 in about 3 hours with cart, trailing only a twosome with a cart and a single walker, but I didn't see anyone in front of me after No. 4, the par 5 that I pictured above. Went 2 hybrid, 6 iron, 58, two putts for a par.

Biggest struggle today was shaking off penalties. After I lost the second ball to the ravine hazard area I just started pressing too much and that made me play a little tight. 

Target golf is a great description. Knowing what I know now, I would have made some different club choices throughout the round.

I think 6,800 yards is probably a bit much for my game, but it was a lot of fun giving it a shot.

  • Like 8

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.2 (Last Updated July 27, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, daviddvm said:

First time I played with them was at last months club tournament and I shot 87 for a net 72 and tied for 4th place. Hitting them is EASY.

I'm sure it's somewhere among all the memes and gifs, but based on that score right out of the gate I'd assume the distances are very similar to your old clubs?

  • Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, edingc said:

Great pace at both courses. Played 18 in about 3 hours with cart, trailing only a twosome with a cart and a single walker, but I didn't see anyone in front of me after No. 4, the par 5 that I pictured above. Went 2 hybrid, 6 iron, 58, two putts for a par.

Biggest struggle today was shaking off penalties. After I lost the second ball to the ravine hazard area I just started pressing too much and that made me play a little tight. 

Target golf is a great description. Knowing what I know now, I would have made some different club choices throughout the round.

I think 6,800 yards is probably a bit much for my game, but it was a lot of fun giving it a shot.

Lots of target golf around here I know a course when I see one lol.

its definitely hard especially when the yardage says hit this but the fairway says differently! Regardless good round and glad you were able to get a lot of holes in.

  • Like 2

Check out my reviews:

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, edingc said:

I had the day off of work so what better way to pass the time than play some golf. I had a tee time early this morning at Diamond Springs Golf Course in Hamilton, Michigan. I grew up not far from this course and remember when it first opened. It's a Mike DeVries design, which if you're a fan of Michigan golf, you'll know him as the the architect behind Pilgrim's Run in Pierson, The Mines in Grand Rapids and Greywalls in Marquette. I think the last time I played here was in 2014, and I don't honestly know or remember how I did. 

IMG_25082020_185518_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.b6293cf43afc78c95f4f2fcabf753897.jpg

I had spent some of last night mapping out the course on Google Maps with intended club use and tee shot lines, from the white tees which play somewhere around 6,000 yards but rates out harder than my usual course. Literally as I was driving to the first tee I thought, "Why not really challenge myself?" and decided to play from the blues (the tips at this course), which play to 6,800 yards and a 73.0/137 rating. This is by far the longest and most challenging course I've ever played, and I played pretty well for most of the front and the first third of the back, but man, did the rest of the back just absolutely beat me up.

I didn't have an awful day driving the ball, but it was pretty wet and the entire course is a single cut of Kentucky bluegrass that really didn't afford much roll. So it put a lot of pressure on my tee game to have both distance and accuracy, and even then I had a lot of mid-to-long irons into greens.

Of all days, the battery in my laser died and I was not able to use it the entire round. Thankfully, Arccos was very helpful, but the laser's accuracy to flags cannot be matched by guessing on the satellite images. 

IMG_25082020_185536_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.0a3458a6763f781d082bd61be3bd0092.jpg

Holes 9, 14, 15, 16, and 17 border or cross a ravine that is all hazard area totally in play from the tee and I unfortunately found that area four times by a handful of yards in total. I ended up shooting a 92 (44/48), but literally 5 yards left or right on most of the holes would have been a very good drive. Between a bad three-putt (I lost focus on a tap in from about 12 inches) and just one or two of those holes, I wasn't far from a round in the mid-80s. On my home course that lacks all of the hazards I would have easily had a really, really good round.

I'm obviously bummed that I didn't break 90 (which was my goal going into the round), but looking back on the round I'm really happy with how I played. 

I absolutely pounded the driver today but just got a little wild. I'm stoked that the SpeedZone Xtreme is working so well for me, as my miss now is a pull that is 100 percent my swing and not the club. I also am starting to enjoy the SpeedZone irons as well. 

IMG_25082020_185554_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.4592c32f7e088dfe95b0b2c62d0e01d2.jpg

All in all, well worth my time and $45 for 18 and cart.

After my round I headed out to Holland and The Links at Rolling Meadows, a nine-hole par three course that plays very, ahem, favorably from the front tees.

image.png.cb9fc206fc76f9078f9d693151621cd0.png

By the time I got to the course, a steady rain had started. While this meant I had the course to myself, it also meant walking in the rain and I was thoroughly soaked by the time I was done.

The course is a very cool little "links" style course with a lot of wetlands and actual challenging greens. $25 got me a Coke Zero and 27 shots at getting closest to the pin. I love that I was able to play 27 holes in just over two hours.

IMG_25082020_185635_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.7dc16a96ed0413fb4cfb8d439d87fe78.jpg

You would think over 27 chances from 120 yards and in  I would have jarred one, but alas. I played OK (+5 over the 27, notching two birdies on the first 9 but none on the last two go arounds), but I was really starting to get tired by the time I started my third nine. My best effort for the challenge so far is 7'1" (85 inches) from 70 yards on No. 5 during my second time through:

IMG_25082020_185624_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.6a5d655054d3884257b4f3f015d69935.jpgIMG_25082020_185612_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.3d03e3dfa191bdd9fcacf8417080c2ee.jpg

image.png.8d9f7cca9171ec6ac26057feba1d54d6.png

Very fun day, and I still hopefully have at least another 18 holes to try to best this effort.

Very nice looking course. 

  • Like 2

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, edingc said:

I had the day off of work so what better way to pass the time than play some golf. I had a tee time early this morning at Diamond Springs Golf Course in Hamilton, Michigan. I grew up not far from this course and remember when it first opened. It's a Mike DeVries design, which if you're a fan of Michigan golf, you'll know him as the the architect behind Pilgrim's Run in Pierson, The Mines in Grand Rapids and Greywalls in Marquette. I think the last time I played here was in 2014, and I don't honestly know or remember how I did. 

IMG_25082020_185518_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.b6293cf43afc78c95f4f2fcabf753897.jpg

I had spent some of last night mapping out the course on Google Maps with intended club use and tee shot lines, from the white tees which play somewhere around 6,000 yards but rates out harder than my usual course. Literally as I was driving to the first tee I thought, "Why not really challenge myself?" and decided to play from the blues (the tips at this course), which play to 6,800 yards and a 73.0/137 rating. This is by far the longest and most challenging course I've ever played, and I played pretty well for most of the front and the first third of the back, but man, did the rest of the back just absolutely beat me up.

I didn't have an awful day driving the ball, but it was pretty wet and the entire course is a single cut of Kentucky bluegrass that really didn't afford much roll. So it put a lot of pressure on my tee game to have both distance and accuracy, and even then I had a lot of mid-to-long irons into greens.

Of all days, the battery in my laser died and I was not able to use it the entire round. Thankfully, Arccos was very helpful, but the laser's accuracy to flags cannot be matched by guessing on the satellite images. 

IMG_25082020_185536_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.0a3458a6763f781d082bd61be3bd0092.jpg

Holes 9, 14, 15, 16, and 17 border or cross a ravine that is all hazard area totally in play from the tee and I unfortunately found that area four times by a handful of yards in total. I ended up shooting a 92 (44/48), but literally 5 yards left or right on most of the holes would have been a very good drive. Between a bad three-putt (I lost focus on a tap in from about 12 inches) and just one or two of those holes, I wasn't far from a round in the mid-80s. On my home course that lacks all of the hazards I would have easily had a really, really good round.

I'm obviously bummed that I didn't break 90 (which was my goal going into the round), but looking back on the round I'm really happy with how I played. 

I absolutely pounded the driver today but just got a little wild. I'm stoked that the SpeedZone Xtreme is working so well for me, as my miss now is a pull that is 100 percent my swing and not the club. I also am starting to enjoy the SpeedZone irons as well. 

IMG_25082020_185554_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.4592c32f7e088dfe95b0b2c62d0e01d2.jpg

All in all, well worth my time and $45 for 18 and cart.

After my round I headed out to Holland and The Links at Rolling Meadows, a nine-hole par three course that plays very, ahem, favorably from the front tees.

image.png.cb9fc206fc76f9078f9d693151621cd0.png

By the time I got to the course, a steady rain had started. While this meant I had the course to myself, it also meant walking in the rain and I was thoroughly soaked by the time I was done.

The course is a very cool little "links" style course with a lot of wetlands and actual challenging greens. $25 got me a Coke Zero and 27 shots at getting closest to the pin. I love that I was able to play 27 holes in just over two hours.

IMG_25082020_185635_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.7dc16a96ed0413fb4cfb8d439d87fe78.jpg

You would think over 27 chances from 120 yards and in  I would have jarred one, but alas. I played OK (+5 over the 27, notching two birdies on the first 9 but none on the last two go arounds), but I was really starting to get tired by the time I started my third nine. My best effort for the challenge so far is 7'1" (85 inches) from 70 yards on No. 5 during my second time through:

IMG_25082020_185624_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.6a5d655054d3884257b4f3f015d69935.jpgIMG_25082020_185612_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg.3d03e3dfa191bdd9fcacf8417080c2ee.jpg

image.png.8d9f7cca9171ec6ac26057feba1d54d6.png

Very fun day, and I still hopefully have at least another 18 holes to try to best this effort.

YES. Diamond Springs is an absolute treat. Most of the courses I play are pretty standard/bland (cheap lol), but I try to play down there at least once or twice a year. It's such an awesome layout!

  • Like 3

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I'm sure it's somewhere among all the memes and gifs, but based on that score right out of the gate I'd assume the distances are very similar to your old clubs?

Actually that was the biggest adjustment. I hit the SpeedZoneONE irons 10 - 15 yards further than my Titleist AP1 irons. So I fairly quickly realized  (after airmailing a few greens and hitting layup shots into the hazard) that I would need to club down one from Arccos caddie recommendation. Now that I have 9 rounds with these clubs the caddie recommendation is pretty accurate.

  • Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook #TeamCobraONE

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 10.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, Motore X F3 6-S set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway   Both with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 21.5* Hybrid Project X CATALYST 80 6.0

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

 :titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

  :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                                      697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

When I saw the closest to the pin on par 3's challenge the first thing that popped into my mind was playing a par 3 course. So I immediately booked a room at a golf resort up north with a beautiful executive course. My plan was to play 72 holes over 2 days, 36 each day, with the ultimate goal of a hole in one. Hey, I had 72 chances why not?

1229474975_ScreenShot2020-08-26at9_25_27AM.png.b2014c3cf8b1f4cee78614233b788d7b.png

  

Well, best made plans. When I got to the resort on day one, after a 2.5 hour drive, it was pouring rain. Not to be deterred I paid for 36 holes and went to the 1st tee only to find there were no pull/push carts, they had been removed due to COVID. Now I haven't walked a golf course in 25+ years and I certainly haven't carried a bag in more than that time, but the challenge must go on. So I put on my rain gear, adjusted the backpack straps on my Cobra stand bag and went to the first tee.

The course, while beautiful, was soaking wet and getting sloppier with on and off downpours. I am happy to report that the rain hood on the Cobra stand bag works very well at keeping your clubs dry. 

IMG_0633.JPG.b7036d51d0e3c76815076ab7626b5b14.JPG

 

The course is laid out well with lots of water and strategically placed bunkers and my first 8-holes were fairly unremarkable, hit some of the postage stamp greens, missed some others. Then I got to #9, the longest hole on the course listed at 174-yards by Arccos, all carry over a pond with trouble everywhere.

IMG_9898.JPG.24a738d978c276dc4f6696b0acb106bc.JPG

 

When I tell you I flushed my Cobra SpeedZone 5-iron, I mean I didn't even feel it come off the face and the result was the closest of the round.

 

2050519069_ScreenShot2020-08-26at8_52_28AM.png.364ffd5fae8d259d5c42ae2748f33964.png

IMG_9194.JPG.30bfd7802307878a8cd1b74a1ecc8b43.JPG

 

From the 9th tee back to the 1st tee has to be at least a 1/2 mile walk, partially through a hiking trail with a fork in the road and of course I took the wrong side of the fork and had to hike back to the 1st tee. Panting like a dog, wet from rain and sweat I decided to shed the rain gear and just play the next 27 and deal with the rain & sweat

I didn't record anything closer than 9" in round 2,  since that was the mark to beat. I grabbed a quick lunch and came back for another 18 holes. When I got back from lunch the course had moved the pins and the tee boxes. The 4th hole, which played at 159 yards in the morning was 10 yards closer in the afternoon. Normally at 148-yards I'd take an 8 iron, but with the rain and trouble all around the green I hit 7-iron.

418029048_ScreenShot2020-08-26at8_54_54AM.png.6d135a43152bb7cb579d91a9261a3566.png

 I thought it actually went in, but just came up a few revolutions short. That one is gonna be hard to beat gentlemen!! 

IMG_0608.JPG.8484cae2b614a9b9f35ce4dc0c38d989.JPG

 

By now it was raining non-stop  and greens were just getting saturated as evidenced by this shot from a gap wedge from 87-yards out. 

IMG_0866.JPG.5ec573fcee9c23548a5314a4ec95dc8a.JPG

After my 3rd nine in the rain, soaking wet, sore back and elbow I packed it in hoping for better weather the next day. I woke up the next morning to even heavier rain with no sign it was gonna let up. With my back & elbow killing me I decided to pack it in and drive home knowing I had a shot that was probably gonna get me near the top this week.

Wow gonna be tough. Nice shooting

Where did that 2"er land? Must have checked up nicely with the rain.

 

  • Like 3

Check out my reviews:

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

When I saw the closest to the pin on par 3's challenge the first thing that popped into my mind was playing a par 3 course. So I immediately booked a room at a golf resort up north with a beautiful executive course. My plan was to play 72 holes over 2 days, 36 each day, with the ultimate goal of a hole in one. Hey, I had 72 chances why not?

1229474975_ScreenShot2020-08-26at9_25_27AM.png.b2014c3cf8b1f4cee78614233b788d7b.png

  

Well, best made plans. When I got to the resort on day one, after a 2.5 hour drive, it was pouring rain. Not to be deterred I paid for 36 holes and went to the 1st tee only to find there were no pull/push carts, they had been removed due to COVID. Now I haven't walked a golf course in 25+ years and I certainly haven't carried a bag in more than that time, but the challenge must go on. So I put on my rain gear, adjusted the backpack straps on my Cobra stand bag and went to the first tee.

The course, while beautiful, was soaking wet and getting sloppier with on and off downpours. I am happy to report that the rain hood on the Cobra stand bag works very well at keeping your clubs dry. 

IMG_0633.JPG.b7036d51d0e3c76815076ab7626b5b14.JPG

 

The course is laid out well with lots of water and strategically placed bunkers and my first 8-holes were fairly unremarkable, hit some of the postage stamp greens, missed some others. Then I got to #9, the longest hole on the course listed at 174-yards by Arccos, all carry over a pond with trouble everywhere.

IMG_9898.JPG.24a738d978c276dc4f6696b0acb106bc.JPG

 

When I tell you I flushed my Cobra SpeedZone 5-iron, I mean I didn't even feel it come off the face and the result was the closest of the round.

 

2050519069_ScreenShot2020-08-26at8_52_28AM.png.364ffd5fae8d259d5c42ae2748f33964.png

IMG_9194.JPG.30bfd7802307878a8cd1b74a1ecc8b43.JPG

 

From the 9th tee back to the 1st tee has to be at least a 1/2 mile walk, partially through a hiking trail with a fork in the road and of course I took the wrong side of the fork and had to hike back to the 1st tee. Panting like a dog, wet from rain and sweat I decided to shed the rain gear and just play the next 27 and deal with the rain & sweat

I didn't record anything closer than 9" in round 2,  since that was the mark to beat. I grabbed a quick lunch and came back for another 18 holes. When I got back from lunch the course had moved the pins and the tee boxes. The 4th hole, which played at 159 yards in the morning was 10 yards closer in the afternoon. Normally at 148-yards I'd take an 8 iron, but with the rain and trouble all around the green I hit 7-iron.

418029048_ScreenShot2020-08-26at8_54_54AM.png.6d135a43152bb7cb579d91a9261a3566.png

 I thought it actually went in, but just came up a few revolutions short. That one is gonna be hard to beat gentlemen!! 

IMG_0608.JPG.8484cae2b614a9b9f35ce4dc0c38d989.JPG

 

By now it was raining non-stop  and greens were just getting saturated as evidenced by this shot from a gap wedge from 87-yards out. 

IMG_0866.JPG.5ec573fcee9c23548a5314a4ec95dc8a.JPG

After my 3rd nine in the rain, soaking wet, sore back and elbow I packed it in hoping for better weather the next day. I woke up the next morning to even heavier rain with no sign it was gonna let up. With my back & elbow killing me I decided to pack it in and drive home knowing I had a shot that was probably gonna get me near the top this week.

Very nice, those were really close, you just needed a puff of wind to get them in. 

I hope you are getting a chance to play some more and get that HIO

  • Like 1

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

When I saw the closest to the pin on par 3's challenge the first thing that popped into my mind was playing a par 3 course. So I immediately booked a room at a golf resort up north with a beautiful executive course. My plan was to play 72 holes over 2 days, 36 each day, with the ultimate goal of a hole in one. Hey, I had 72 chances why not?

1229474975_ScreenShot2020-08-26at9_25_27AM.png.b2014c3cf8b1f4cee78614233b788d7b.png

  

Well, best made plans. When I got to the resort on day one, after a 2.5 hour drive, it was pouring rain. Not to be deterred I paid for 36 holes and went to the 1st tee only to find there were no pull/push carts, they had been removed due to COVID. Now I haven't walked a golf course in 25+ years and I certainly haven't carried a bag in more than that time, but the challenge must go on. So I put on my rain gear, adjusted the backpack straps on my Cobra stand bag and went to the first tee.

The course, while beautiful, was soaking wet and getting sloppier with on and off downpours. I am happy to report that the rain hood on the Cobra stand bag works very well at keeping your clubs dry. 

IMG_0633.JPG.b7036d51d0e3c76815076ab7626b5b14.JPG

 

The course is laid out well with lots of water and strategically placed bunkers and my first 8-holes were fairly unremarkable, hit some of the postage stamp greens, missed some others. Then I got to #9, the longest hole on the course listed at 174-yards by Arccos, all carry over a pond with trouble everywhere.

IMG_9898.JPG.24a738d978c276dc4f6696b0acb106bc.JPG

 

When I tell you I flushed my Cobra SpeedZone 5-iron, I mean I didn't even feel it come off the face and the result was the closest of the round.

 

2050519069_ScreenShot2020-08-26at8_52_28AM.png.364ffd5fae8d259d5c42ae2748f33964.png

IMG_9194.JPG.30bfd7802307878a8cd1b74a1ecc8b43.JPG

 

From the 9th tee back to the 1st tee has to be at least a 1/2 mile walk, partially through a hiking trail with a fork in the road and of course I took the wrong side of the fork and had to hike back to the 1st tee. Panting like a dog, wet from rain and sweat I decided to shed the rain gear and just play the next 27 and deal with the rain & sweat

I didn't record anything closer than 9" in round 2,  since that was the mark to beat. I grabbed a quick lunch and came back for another 18 holes. When I got back from lunch the course had moved the pins and the tee boxes. The 4th hole, which played at 159 yards in the morning was 10 yards closer in the afternoon. Normally at 148-yards I'd take an 8 iron, but with the rain and trouble all around the green I hit 7-iron.

418029048_ScreenShot2020-08-26at8_54_54AM.png.6d135a43152bb7cb579d91a9261a3566.png

 I thought it actually went in, but just came up a few revolutions short. That one is gonna be hard to beat gentlemen!! 

IMG_0608.JPG.8484cae2b614a9b9f35ce4dc0c38d989.JPG

 

By now it was raining non-stop  and greens were just getting saturated as evidenced by this shot from a gap wedge from 87-yards out. 

IMG_0866.JPG.5ec573fcee9c23548a5314a4ec95dc8a.JPG

After my 3rd nine in the rain, soaking wet, sore back and elbow I packed it in hoping for better weather the next day. I woke up the next morning to even heavier rain with no sign it was gonna let up. With my back & elbow killing me I decided to pack it in and drive home knowing I had a shot that was probably gonna get me near the top this week.

I think I’m digging the commitment and perseverance more than the darts on display here. Very nice!

  • Like 7

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

IMG_9194.JPG.30bfd7802307878a8cd1b74a1ecc8b43.JPG

The firs one was already great.

45 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

IMG_0608.JPG.8484cae2b614a9b9f35ce4dc0c38d989.JPG

To beat that it will have to be on the hole.

  • Like 2

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...